Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

New (Old) Clubs

Here's my question, is there anywhere I can get older club models, from around 2013-14, new or slightly used?

I think I'm due for a new set, currently using clubs from around 2006-2007. But I'm also a broke recently graduated student so I don't have 1000+ dollars to spend on a new set. I've checked on places like 2nd swing and feel like everything is last year's model for 100-200 off and I'll still be paying an arm and a leg for new clubs. To be fair though, I was probably looking too heavily in the big brand sections and should expand my search to lesser know brands. But I feel like there are loads of sets made for the older seasons tout there hat are just lying around that people would be happy to get rid of for cheap!

Now obviously places like Craigslist and eBay are an option but I do worry about the quality of product I would be getting on these places. Just because I don't have tons of money to spend doesn't mean I want to spend it on junk. So any advice on good places to look would be greatly appreciated!

My final question, is I do understand the importance of getting properly fit for clubs, but these also seem like car sale pitches to get you to buy super expensive fancy shiny new clubs! Will they adjust a set that I get to fit me as best as these clubs can or are they all about getting me to buy new sets?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

WITB?  Ping traverse bag

Driver: TaylorMade M2, 10*, 

Fairway woods: TaylorMade Aeroburner

Driving Iron: Srixon U65 2 iron, 18*, 

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 4-PW,

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Odyssey Versa blade putter

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Here's my question, is there anywhere I can get older club models, from around 2013-14, new or slightly used?

I think I'm due for a new set, currently using clubs from around 2006-2007. But I'm also a broke recently graduated student so I don't have 1000+ dollars to spend on a new set. I've checked on places like 2nd swing and feel like everything is last year's model for 100-200 off and I'll still be paying an arm and a leg for new clubs. To be fair though, I was probably looking too heavily in the big brand sections and should expand my search to lesser know brands. But I feel like there are loads of sets made for the older seasons tout there hat are just lying around that people would be happy to get rid of for cheap!

Now obviously places like Craigslist and eBay are an option but I do worry about the quality of product I would be getting on these places. Just because I don't have tons of money to spend doesn't mean I want to spend it on junk. So any advice on good places to look would be greatly appreciated!

My final question, is I do understand the importance of getting properly fit for clubs, but these also seem like car sale pitches to get you to buy super expensive fancy shiny new clubs! Will they adjust a set that I get to fit me as best as these clubs can or are they all about getting me to buy new sets?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

I've had little troubles getting good quality stuff from eBay, you just gotta check the feedback of who you are looking to buy from. Otherwise, look at the free classifieds here in the forums...link below. Good luck!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/forum/28-free-classifieds/

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

You are right that you should be looking at lesser known brands. A few year old, very lightly used or even NOS set of Adams or Cleveland irons can be had for around $200, while Ping, Callaway, TaylorMade are still going to fetch twice that amount.

Like Ping Apologist said, check the classified section here or scour eBay. Just buy from a reputable eBay seller and you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I've had good luck finding clubs at Mike's Golf Outlet.  They have a pretty big online store.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

This one is very easy - second swing, global golf, Mike's, eBay all are good.

Name your price and club type and happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Second Swing is good. If you are worried about price check out Cobra, Nike, and Cleveland/Srixon. Top notch equipment for lower prices than the big guys.

P.S. I got a few wedges from there in average condition and they look like they have barely been hit.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-D200-Steel-Uniflex-Irons-Set-4-PW-GW-Right-Hand/391927411815?hash=item5b40b1b467:g:uq4AAOSwiHpaDK9-

Advice on this set? Seems like a great deal, everything I've seen about Wilson is that the produce quality equipment just people don't think to buy them because of the name.

My other thought is to just keep focusing on improving my strike for now and then get new equipment at the start of next season. Because in reality if you only hit the ball well around 5% of the time (an exaggeration, I probably hit it flush around 35-45% of the time) you can have the fanciest clubs in the world and it won't make a works of difference!

WITB?  Ping traverse bag

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-D200-Steel-Uniflex-Irons-Set-4-PW-GW-Right-Hand/391927411815?hash=item5b40b1b467:g:uq4AAOSwiHpaDK9-

Advice on this set? Seems like a great deal, everything I've seen about Wilson is that the produce quality equipment just people don't think to buy them because of the name.

My other thought is to just keep focusing on improving my strike for now and then get new equipment at the start of next season. Because in reality if you only hit the ball well around 5% of the time (an exaggeration, I probably hit it flush around 35-45% of the time) you can have the fanciest clubs in the world and it won't make a works of difference!

That's a great set, and a decent price. You could probably find them slightly used for even less if you poked around a bit more. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I've purchased many sets off the bay without a problem.  Quickshipgolf is one good outfit.

However, if you don't want to go that route, check out callawaypreowned.  They have good deals on Callaway and non-Callaway stuff and their service is top notch.  I've also had good experiences with Mike's Golf Outlet.

As I am average height and build, I've never got any benefit from fitting irons.  I always wind up with standard specs and I've played long enough to know the shafts I like.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I guess that makes sense. I'm 6'3" with pretty long arms and a decently strong lower half from playing soccer my whole life. This means I struggle with sequencing occasionally and a lot of my bad shots are from being too much of a brute and attacking it with my hands too quickly. Obviously a fitting won't address the latter issues but maybe help me gain some confidence that the clubs will deliver given my slightly abnormal body type thus allowing me to trust in sequencing more!

WITB?  Ping traverse bag

I've always had decent luck with eBay. The trick is to make sure the seller provides specs (if not ask for them), has good photos of the face, sole, crown, and shaft of all clubs (grips don't really matter since you'll likely need to change them out), and has a solid rating. Personally, I only buy from sellers in the US and if any of the above seems off to me I pass - no matter how enticing the "deal" looks. I also prefer Buy It Now listings over Auctions. Best of luck!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I guess that makes sense. I'm 6'3" with pretty long arms and a decently strong lower half from playing soccer my whole life. This means I struggle with sequencing occasionally and a lot of my bad shots are from being too much of a brute and attacking it with my hands too quickly. Obviously a fitting won't address the latter issues but maybe help me gain some confidence that the clubs will deliver given my slightly abnormal body type thus allowing me to trust in sequencing more!

When I was young and strong like you I had a similar problem with fast hands and strong upper torso. I still have to time myself up some. I usually hit about 10 balls or so before a round with my wedges to time myself up

Now as far as equipment I can suggest this--- As a fact driver technology has not changed that much in the last 5 or 6 years or so. COR or trampoline effect has been long maxed out. In other words you can find a quality brand name driver 5 years old or so for pennies. Irons basically have not changed that much either from basic design whether they are CBs or blades. Getting back to drivers most of the doo dads you see with weight adjustment is not really anything breakthrough. It is nothing us old schoolers have not been doing with lead tape for years. I will also suggest that with your fast hands you go to a little heavier club  it will slow you down some. All the members that have posted here have given some solid advice which BTW is SOP for here. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The good news is that you are tall.  I wish I had your height.  The bad news?  Probably not standard specs in length or lie.  Perhaps start out with a Ping static fitting online.  Then jot down the specs and  match them to whichever brand you like.

I have not found a fitter that works with older model clubs.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Wait for the end of the season. Last year I waited for the end of the season to get a new set, after 10 years I was due for one. My skill finally passed the clubs I have. When everything went on close out I picked up a brand new set of Wilson's from 2 years back and they cost me $150. Couldn't be any happier with the set.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I decided to take the plunge on eBay and found a lot of really good stuff. Here is how I got on. 

Taylormade M2 2017 driver with stiff shafts for $190. Slightly used and rated 9/10. I think I spent a little too much on this (Given that I wanted to spend as little as possible) because of the name but I really like how these look and I guess their marketing campaign is working cause I just think that they are the "best". But the logical part of me knows that in reality just about any driver made in the past 5 years from a halfway decent brand is basically the same given the limits placed by the USGA. 

Taylormade aeroburner 2016 3 wood for $60. New. Seems like a pretty great deal

Taylormade m2 2016 3 hybrid rescue club. $81 brand new. 

Wilson c200 4-GW irons. $205 brand new. These have aldila rouge shafts. 

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges 52,56,60 degrees. $165 brand new.

I think I made out pretty well, but I would be interested to see what you guys think. I can always return things if I realize I didn't get a good of a deal as I originally thought. The buyer I bought most of the stuff had a 99.2% rating and has loads of other stuff for sale if anyone else is interested in a couple new things. The username for this seller is ksouth9. Then I got the driver from dallasgolf username. 

I bought all of them from an auction and really only had to compete for the wedge set, where I had to bid on probably 5-6 different sets before I won an auction. The driver I won without a problem, same with the hybrid. The irons and 3 wood I bid on the same club in 2 auctions before I won.

Let me know what you think, I think overall I spent around $690 total for really a brand new set, aside from the driver and like I said had I searched a little longer I probably could have bought an older model for a lot cheaper and even found it new. I didn't get a putter because I have been putting really well with my current set up and I figured putter technology really doesn't make a difference because putting is so much about committing to a line and matching the speed for that line.

WITB?  Ping traverse bag

That is a pretty good deal for some nice clubs. Good luck and Hit em well.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Funny- I was just going to recommend Wilson Staff irons, as their reputation has diminished resale value, but they make really awesome sticks. Hit them well and don't forget to let us know how it goes!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Archived