Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ball crossovers

revkev

Henrick Stenson is a Callaway player who uses the Pro VIx

Francesco Molinari is a Taylor Made player who uses the Pro VIx

Guess they don't need the advantages of the ball that changed the ball (winner of the Revkev biggest crock commercial award in ‘16) or the Tp5 that the TMag cohort extols for our viewing pleasure.

Does anyone know of a notable Titleist player playing another brand of ball?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Francesco Molinari isn't a TMaG player.  He plays a TMaG, but it is not under contract with them.  You can tell because TaylorMade wasn't able to reference him by name on twitter

Titliest pays a crap ton of money to players to play their balls on tour.  More than any other company on tour

I can't thibk of a titleist player not playing one of the prov balls. It's like ping used to be where you had to have x number of Ping clubs in the bag and iirc one had to be a putter. Titleist isn't going to have a staff player notin their ball.

With the number of players in a prov and the money it is hard for Callaway at least to compete with that and get their ball in their own guys hands. I agree inntge marketing if the ball hat changed the ball. That now has been redesigned oops I mean tweaked 3 times.

I wouldn't be surprised if more TM staffers weren't getting paid to play the TP5 range now that they aren't doing as many pay to play driver/woods deals

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Francesco Molinari isn't a TMaG player.  He plays a TMaG, but it is not under contract with them.  You can tell because TaylorMade wasn't able to reference him by name on twitter

Titliest pays a crap ton of money to players to play their balls on tour.  More than any other company on tour

And you wonder why Pro v's are so expensive 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

And you wonder why Pro v's are so expensive

Chromesoft x and tp5/5x are $44.99. Other than pure numbers is that really cheaper that $47.99 where the prov has been for a long time. Chromesoft has gone up in price everytime a new model comes out.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Chromesoft x and tp5/5x are $44.99. Other than pure numbers is that really cheaper that $47.99 where the prov has been for a long time. Chromesoft has gone up in price everytime a new model comes out.

Just bought a doz of TP 5X for 39. at Walmart. I'm liking them a bit better than the Pro V's 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Not many.

There was one brief period when Greg Norman was a Titleist staffer though - he was contracted to play their woods irons and wedges and also used as a "distributor" of Titleist products to Australia including the Titleist Professional ball, as well as keeping his interests alive with Cobra Golf as a major shareholder (an Acushnet partner after Titleists $700 million acquisition). Rumour has it that Norman was not a fan of the Professional ball as it spun up a bit too much for his aggressive style and preferring a firmer Maxfli (he was using the XS ball previously). Titleist soon caught wind of his tactics and after a spat about what his role was or wasn't as a Titleist staffer (Norman believed he brought more value to the table than they were paying him lol) - the contract soon vanished. 

Norman probably had the last laugh when Titleist and Cobra parted company - he is estimated to have made $50 million from the initial Titleist takeover of Cobra. 

Just bought a doz of TP 5X for 39. at Walmart. I'm liking them a bit better than the Pro V's

And I grabbed 4dz for the price of 3 on the pro v1 and they had s sale not long ago for $39.99 loyalty program stuff.

Other than Srixon and a few dtc balls tour level balls are basically the same price so imo the prov are expensive argument goes out the window.

And I grabbed 4dz for the price of 3 on the pro v1 and they had s sale not long ago for $39.99 loyalty program stuff.

Other than Srixon and a few dtc balls tour level balls are basically the same price so imo the prov are expensive argument goes out the window.

Depends on how far you'd like to expand your definition of "tour level ball" honestly.  Because if I buy in bulk, I can get a Vice Golf 3 or 4 piece "tour ball" for $25 a dozen.  Snell took his ProV1 tech to his own company and sells direct from his website too, for less money.

The best deal I've found for a "tour level ball" goes to Cut Golf Company.  Their 3 and 4 piece tour balls, if you buy in bulk, can be had for under $17 a dozen, with free shipping.

Disclaimer, I'm not pimping any of these alternative golf balls, but I've tested the Vice and am currently testing the Cut Golf tour ball, and frankly, I can't tell the difference between a Titleist ProV whatever compared to these cheaper alternatives.  The only thing you are paying extra for is the marketing costs of having 75% of the PGA Tour play that ball.

To each his own honestly, but if I can get a 3 or 4 piece tour ball, for half the price of a Titleist or Callaway, and there is no difference in performance or whatever, then I'd be stupid not to play the cheaper balls.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Depends on how far you'd like to expand your definition of "tour level ball" honestly. Because if I buy in bulk, I can get a Vice Golf 3 or 4 piece "tour ball" for $25 a dozen. Snell took his ProV1 tech to his own company and sells direct from his website too, for less money.

The best deal I've found for a "tour level ball" goes to Cut Golf Company. Their 3 and 4 piece tour balls, if you buy in bulk, can be had for under $17 a dozen, with free shipping.

Disclaimer, I'm not pimping any of these alternative golf balls, but I've tested the Vice and am currently testing the Cut Golf tour ball, and frankly, I can't tell the difference between a Titleist ProV whatever compared to these cheaper alternatives. The only thing you are paying extra for is the marketing costs of having 75% of the PGA Tour play that ball.

To each his own honestly, but if I can get a 3 or 4 piece tour ball, for half the price of a Titleist or Callaway, and there is no difference in performance or whatever, then I'd be stupid not to play the cheaper balls.

What you are referring to is what I made mention of in my comment abou dtc (direct to consumer) which would be snell, vice, cut, oncore.

And yes the definition for tour level balls could vary based on person. And both Srixon and Bridgestone make great tour balls at lower prices than the big 3.

I was trying to focus on the Prov1/1x vs Tm and Callaway since prov isn't alone at the top of the price chain. Imo $3 isn't a difference that warrants prov balls being tagged as the only expensive ball

What you are referring to is what I made mention of in my comment abou dtc (direct to consumer) which would be snell, vice, cut, oncore.

And yes the definition for tour level balls could vary based on person. And both Srixon and Bridgestone make great tour balls at lower prices than the big 3.

I was trying to focus on the Prov1/1x vs Tm and Callaway since prov isn't alone at the top of the price chain. Imo $3 isn't a difference that warrants prov balls being tagged as the only expensive ball

No argument from me there.  Although I recently snagged a killer deal on some Srixon Z-Star at $20 a dozen that I couldn't pass up.  I already had like 6 dozen balls in my house, but I made room for 4 more dozen of the Srixon at that price.

Honestly, there are so many great deals right now out there on tour caliber balls, both name brand, and "DTC" that we are the beneficiaries of it all.  And not that I have anything honestly against Titleist and their strategy for maintaining a virtual monopoly on Tour pros golf balls, but it will be interesting to see how long their dominance in the market lasts once enough players get educated on the various good and cheaper options out there now.

I also get that a player like Bubba Watson, who played Volvik for a year, and came right back to Titleist is a firm testimony of how important the golf balls is to their game.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I also get that a player like Bubba Watson, who played Volvik for a year, and came right back to Titleist is a firm testimony of how important the golf balls is to their game.

...And maybe how important money is to get them to play Volvik for a year. 

Why yes Rev. Yes I do. Instead of PV1 I've been playing the Ksig a lot lately. And I might add.... scoring low!!  :D

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

What a day - it seems like every communication I've sent out has been misconstrued, misconstructed or simply not read and yet replied to.

I didn't ask what anyone here is doing or not in regards to golf balls. I asked if there were any Titleist players who cross over to other balls.

Only two people addressed that question - Jaskanski - I remember that with Norman - I had forgotten it but recall it now. And of course Plaid Jacket. Great answer from him.

I'm happy for the rest of you buthad I wanted to know what ball you play and why I would have started a thread - what ball do you play and why? Here's why I play what I do.

I happen to play the Pro VIx right now because that's what my club carries and I do the loyalty program. I also loose very few balls so why not. But I'm in no way tied to that ball forever.

I'm just curious as to why so many pros choose it even when I'm sure they loose some endorsement revenue by doing it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The answer is no Titleist doesn't sponsor anyone to play their clubs and not their ball. It is all about the ball for Titleist.

and they pay top dollar to have golfers who play other brands clubs to play a Titleist ball

I think these guys find the ball they like and use it. In Stensons case he used a Prov1x before Callaway, and he has just stayed with what he knows.

Look at Bubba, he took a ball deal with Volvik and that ball nearly cost him his card. He switched back and has already won this season more than he did the previous 3 seasons combined. For the pros it comes down to knowing what to expect for a given shot, some balls work better than others for what they want. The prob series is a great ball, I hat titleist so I won't use them.

I also cannot think of any other players who crossover.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

No argument from me there.  Although I recently snagged a killer deal on some Srixon Z-Star at $20 a dozen that I couldn't pass up.  I already had like 6 dozen balls in my house, but I made room for 4 more dozen of the Srixon at that price.

Honestly, there are so many great deals right now out there on tour caliber balls, both name brand, and "DTC" that we are the beneficiaries of it all.  And not that I have anything honestly against Titleist and their strategy for maintaining a virtual monopoly on Tour pros golf balls, but it will be interesting to see how long their dominance in the market lasts once enough players get educated on the various good and cheaper options out there now.

I saw that deal for the Z-Stars and I love that ball.  However, I am 71 years old and your stock of golf balls is a lifetime supply for me.  

And no, I can't think of any other tour player that crosses over.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived