Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Round Review, Help me get better!

bardle

The question I would have on all those shots would be what was that quality of the contact? Did you hit it well and it was just short or did you hit it poorly? Were they full or partial swings?

If they were well hit, work on learning distances. If poor contact you need to learn to hit partial wedges. Do you think you do anything differently on those wedge shots? Maybe a quicker tempo?

Anything inside 120 was a partial PW, contact was usually good, I just dont know my distances with Partials, hence that being a big focus here in the short term in hopes of more GIR's. Also I think I have a fear or missing long, or hitting the green too hard and having it roll off. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Anything inside 120 was a partial PW, contact was usually good, I just dont know my distances with Partials, hence that being a big focus here in the short term in hopes of more GIR's. Also I think I have a fear or missing long, or hitting the green too hard and having it roll off.

At this point I think hitting the green and rolling of or going long would be a better option or no worse than should. Sounds like you need to practice and be confident in your shot selection. .

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There seem to be a lot of questions about GIR, so to show everyone how bad I am, I'm going to recount each approach shot from the previous round:

Hole 1: ~85 out, PW about 10 yards short

Hole 2: ~90 out, PW about 5 yards short, just off the fringe

Hole 3: Par 3 - GIR

Hole 4: Par 5 - 3rd shot from about 50 out, Chunked, Short

Hole 5: ~75 out - Thinned into the potbunker 10 yds Short the green

Hole 6: ~128 out - PW Short about 15 yds

Hole 7: Par 3 - 10 yards Long, a little right

Hole 8: Lost my drive, Penalty stroke. No chance at GIR

Hole 9: ~145 uphill, 7i 5 yds off the right edge of the green.

Hole 10: ~115 Recovery shot pulled left 10 yds off the left edge

Hole 11: GIR, Birdie

Hole 12: Par 3 - Topped my tee shot

Hole 13: Skulled my drive to 15 yds off the teebox, so Approach shot was in the middle, but about 85 off the green

Hole 14: Par 5, 2nd shot chunked 5 iron into the water hazard...

Hole 15: ~115 Downhill, Right of the green

Hole 16: ~85 out, 20 yds short

Hole 17: Par 3 - just off the fringe, left side of the green

Hole 18: ~95 out - PW left of the green, 10 yds off

Wow, so after that exercise I feel like I should quit, but its good for me to put together, so to summarize:

Approach shot stats:

Short: 6

Long: 1

Left: 3

Right: 2

GIR: 2

No chance / bad first shots: 4

So for the most part, I think figuring out distances for quarter swings with wedges will solve the biggest problem which is shorting my approach shots. I think the left and right problems are here to stay but they arent generally big misses, I just cant seem to get up and down.

I think you need to figure out distances for all clubs. It seems like a PW from 128 and a 7 iron from 145 is a small gap. I think the 7 iron was probably the right club but the PW was too little. You are also leaving at least 40% short so you might benifit from clubbing up on a lot of shots. You only hit 1 long. Mostly however work on consistent striking in the short game.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

At this point I think hitting the green and rolling of or going long would be a better option or no worse than should. Sounds like you need to practice and be confident in your shot selection. .

Agree, unless the course has little trouble in front and off the back is bad. I would consider playing each approach shot with one more club.  It sounds like the PW is the goto club of choice for anything from 128 and in.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think you need to figure out distances for all clubs. It seems like a PW from 128 and a 7 iron from 145 is a small gap. I think the 7 iron was probably the right club but the PW was too little. You are also leaving at least 40% short so you might benifit from clubbing up on a lot of shots. You only hit 1 long. Mostly however work on consistent striking in the short game.

Yeah I mean, I know my distances for the most part, 160 is a quality full 7 iron but its very uphill on that hole, normally 145 is a 9. 130 is a full PW. Im not comfortable with my SW for full swings so I end up taking partial PW shots, hence me shorting it and all. I have already stated a few times my big area I want to improve on is figuring out quarter swing distances for each of my wedges.

RH:

#cobraconnect19

I'm not sure if you aren't reading the putt correctly but that's what I struggled with and I read a little tidbit from Dave pelz saying the average golfer should read the break and then multiply that by 3. I did that and my putting improved drastically

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

There seem to be a lot of questions about GIR, so to show everyone how bad I am, I'm going to recount each approach shot from the previous round: 

Hole 2: ~90 out, PW about 5 yards short, just off the fringe

Hole 4: Par 5 - 3rd shot from about 50 out, Chunked, Short

Hole 5: ~75 out - Thinned into the potbunker 10 yds Short the green

Hole 6: ~128 out - PW Short about 15 yds

Hole 7: Par 3 - 10 yards Long, a little right

Hole 13: Skulled my drive to 15 yds off the teebox, so Approach shot was in the middle, but about 85 off the green

Hole 15: ~115 Downhill, Right of the green

Hole 18: ~95 out - PW left of the green, 10 yds off

Wow, so after that exercise I feel like I should quit, but its good for me to put together, so to summarize:

Approach shot stats:

Short: 6

Long: 1

Left: 3

GIR: 2

No chance / bad first shots: 4

So for the most part, I think figuring out distances for quarter swings with wedges will solve the biggest problem which is shorting my approach shots. I think the left and right problems are here to stay but they arent generally big misses, I just cant seem to get up and down. 

Below is listed the clubs and swing you might use if you hit your clubs the distances I hit mine 2 years ago. I have put a + or - by a few of them because it it was sort of in between. Keep in mind that Full is not really a full swing but clubhead behind your head. We are after distance control, not pure distance. On the 3/4 swing you can add a little or subtract a little by going above or below your ear.

Hole 1: ~85 out, 3/4 GW

Hole 2: ~90 out, 3/4+ GW or 3/4- PW

Hole 4: Par 5 - 1/2 GW

Hole 5: ~75 out - 3/4 SW

Hole 6: ~128 out - Full 9 iron or even a 3/4 8 iron.

Hole 8:

Hole 9: ~145 uphill, 7i

Hole 10: ~3/4 9 iron

Hole 12: Par 3 -

Hole 13: about 85 3/4 GW

Hole 14: Par 5,

Hole 15: ~3/4 9 iron

Hole 16: ~85 out,3/4 GW

Hole 17: Par 3 -

Hole 18: ~3/4- PW

This is obviously do a I say not as I do, today every partial wedge shot went directly over the flag 5-10 yards farther then they used to, or I suck at estimating distances. I had to putt or chip from the back or opposite side of the green. Lots of 20-30 foot putts for par and made none.

My phone app may not be the most accurate every time. Since I was sitting on the 150 mark and it said 182. And once it showed me on a different hole.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Just get the Utley book and work on it - you'll love it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Below is listed the clubs and swing you might use if you hit your clubs the distances I hit mine 2 years ago. I have put a + or - by a few of them because it it was sort of in between. Keep in mind that Full is not really a full swing but clubhead behind your head. We are after distance control, not pure distance. On the 3/4 swing you can add a little or subtract a little by going above or below your ear.

Hole 1: ~85 out, 3/4 GW

Hole 2: ~90 out, 3/4+ GW or 3/4- PW

Hole 4: Par 5 - 1/2 GW

Hole 5: ~75 out - 3/4 SW

Hole 6: ~128 out - Full 9 iron or even a 3/4 8 iron.

Hole 8:

Hole 9: ~145 uphill, 7i

Hole 10: ~3/4 9 iron

Hole 12: Par 3 -

Hole 13: about 85 3/4 GW

Hole 14: Par 5,

Hole 15: ~3/4 9 iron

Hole 16: ~85 out,3/4 GW

Hole 17: Par 3 -

Hole 18: ~3/4- PW

This is obviously do a I say not as I do, today every partial wedge shot went directly over the flag 5-10 yards farther then they used to, or I suck at estimating distances. I had to putt or chip from the back or opposite side of the green. Lots of 20-30 foot putts for par and made none.

My phone app may not be the most accurate every time. Since I was sitting on the 150 mark and it said 182. And once it showed me on a different hole.

Thanks for coming back. I'm gonna hit the range tomorrow and get these distances with my wedges. Gonna be 2 weeks until I play again but I look forward to reporting back. My living room putting is also improving.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Just get the Utley book and work on it - you'll love it.

Feels like too much work. Lol. I'd rather take advice from some other hackers. It's more fun that way.

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Hole 2: ~90 out, PW about 5 yards short, just off the fringe

Hole 4: Par 5 - 3rd shot from about 50 out, Chunked, Short

Hole 5: ~75 out - Thinned into the potbunker 10 yds Short the green

Hole 6: ~128 out - PW Short about 15 yds

Hole 15: ~115 Downhill, Right of the green

Hole 18: ~95 out - PW left of the green, 10 yds off

Approach shot stats:

Short: 6

Long: 1

Left: 3

GIR: 2

No chance / bad first shots: 4

Personally by looking at what you have there I would say that the PW is the wrong club. Switch that to a 9 iron, and if you hit the same shot, you will be on the green. I discount the chunked shot as being the wrong club because it was chunked, but all those shots that came up short, you just need to add a club. I would add a club for everything until you start hitting everything over the green.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Personally by looking at what you have there I would say that the PW is the wrong club. Switch that to a 9 iron, and if you hit the same shot, you will be on the green. I discount the chunked shot as being the wrong club because it was chunked, but all those shots that came up short, you just need to add a club. I would add a club for everything until you start hitting everything over the green.

Well. I mean. They are partial shots. Meaning that is the lowest distance club I have. So I take a swing that I feel like is enough to get there but isn't even close to full.

So basically my feel is off for all those shots that came up short. Clubbing up would just make it harder as it would be an even smaller partial swing. Going for RoverRicks suggestions with the quarter swing gapping for my wedges so I have a better idea of distances for said partial shots

RH:

#cobraconnect19

I have been basing this off my bag. I, for the first time, looked at your bag. I see you only have the PW and 56. This does not exclude you from developing a similar system.

Just use the 56 and PW and see how high to start the swing to get the desired distances. Perhaps its with the 9 iron, PW and 56 or even the 8. just pay attention to the run out. I started out with 4 wedges and then went to 3 then back to 4 but could get by with just 2.

Once again, today I found myself under the same tree as last week, and hit a 1/2 3 wood to just off the left side of the green from the flag, but cause there is water right and the pin was right, so I hit one so I could chip across the green to the flag.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Well. I mean. They are partial shots. Meaning that is the lowest distance club I have. So I take a swing that I feel like is enough to get there but isn't even close to full.

So basically my feel is off for all those shots that came up short. Clubbing up would just make it harder as it would be an even smaller partial swing. Going for RoverRicks suggestions with the quarter swing gapping for my wedges so I have a better idea of distances for said partial shots

Yep, makes good sense, that's essentially the idea, that taking a longer club with the same swing gets you to the green. So yes, learning partial swings is logical 1/2, 3/4, 1/4. Lots of guys use that method. That's the fun part about Golf, there are many different ways to do it, you just have to find one that works for you that you can do consistently.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Take a know target say 100 yards. Hit five shots. Take the average lest say five yards short. So you hit that club 95 yards. Repeat with all wedges and for 1/4 1/2 3/4 and full. Then write it down and attached the card to you bag.

I did this and for me it looks like;

Club Full 3/4 1/2 1/4

PW 130 115 110 85

GW 120 105 90 75

SW 110 95 80 65

LW 80 65 50 40

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Possibly the best and simplest advice on this thread, and blown off. ...

And that's why I lose interest in advice discussions on forums.

It's just a joke my man. It's on my list. I can't read a book in a day.

I can however, take concrete principles from books that other people have read and taken the time to summarize for me and experiment with them.

For one, people who do the above like RoverRick show genuine interest in wanting to help and share what they have learned. And by taking the time to summarize things like that, it shows how committed they are to helping others here.

I'm not saying asking me to read a book is bad.of course it isn't. Only it's not nearly as helpful. So forgive me if I commit to trying things others have spent a lot time thinking through and responding with.

Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your holiday.

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Feels like too much work. Lol. I'd rather take advice from some other hackers. It's more fun that way.

:)

It's actually an easy read and pretty simple to implement - that's why I recommended him over Pelz. That book reads like it was written by a NASA Engineer or something.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

A couple thoughts / pointers I had based on personal experience:

- When putting remember 83% of the ball's direction is based on where the Face is pointing.

- I recommend developing your putting stroke close to the hole where you can see your end target easily in your peripheral vision. Before any important round I'll hit 10 warmup putts within the 2-3 foot range just to ensure my stroke is on target. Then I'll move back from there. If I warmup with lag putting first I find my direction can get sloppy.

- Good lag putting and good chipping require good consistent contact. If you're mishitting these shots the ball wont go as far usually. I know for me I thought I had trouble gauging distance when really I was mishitting these shots.

- For your wedges, if you find the clock method not working try hitting targets in your 50-120 yard range in 10 yard increments. Try hitting the same yardage with multiple clubs. Good way to develop feel.

Best of luck!

Dang you sure received some tough love from some of these folks. Good love but tough love just the same. There is a lot of work to be had here but nothing that you can't accomplish. I recommending the tiny Callaway hitting mat. It cost around $30 and actually can fit in the side pocket of an average golf bag. Put it in the backyard and just chip chip chip chip! Concurrently practice lag putting. Your goal is to get below 1.8 putts per hole for 18 holes. Expectation management......you are not going to get better overnight. Tiger Woods began playing golf at the age of three. He has the best equipment, best coaches and access to the best practice areas in the world. Did I mention he is a lot more talented than you! Now look at how slow is progress has been as he has come back to the game of golf. You should set realistic expectations with achievable goals. Demonstrate patience with your progress and always understand it is a process.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Archived