TESTERS WANTED! ×

I'm burned out on the Tiger "Worshipers"

Mr. 82

Tiger is 11 shots out of the lead and still we're seeing every shot he hits. 

They have twitter accounts solely devoted to Tiger tracking.

PGA Tour media coverage is basically about Tiger Woods, and nothing else.  Tiger didn't come close to winning the tournament, but that's all we see and read about.

Tiger drains a 20+ footer for par on 18, and the crowd goes nuts, even though the putt really didn't matter or increase his chances in winning anything.

The winner of the tournament was an afterthought, even though he scorched a burned out TPC Avenel with a course record tying 62 on Sunday.

I know a ton of people live and breathe with everything that Tiger Woods says and does, but honestly, it's a huge turn off for me from the real golf going on.  It's become a circus sideshow honestly to everything else.  It detracts from the other golfers to the point where J.J. Spaun is lighting it up on Thursday or Friday, and he was the group behind Tiger, and in answering a question from the media, he tells them that he didn't even have a gallery because everyone was following Tiger.

Look, I get it, he's won 14 majors and dominated the golf world for a decade.  But wake me when he's won something recently.  Frankly, he looks tired and worn out and looks like a very old 42 years old.  I just don't see him winning anything relevant in the future.  All of this coverage just makes me want to turn off the TV.

And heck, maybe I am the only one who feels this way, and all you Tiger worshipers can commence in bashing away at me if that makes you feel better.  But my honest opinions are just that, my opinions.  Feel free to disagree and hate me if you want.  And frankly, if that's the case, it's not Tiger that I hate - it's the people who obsess over his every move that I absolutely can't stand.  Tiger worshiping just disgusts me honestly.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with you here. Every time he plays, people freak out thinking he's on his way to winning a bunch more majors. He's not. IMHO, I don't think he will ever win again. I've stood by that for two years. I admit, he has come close, but I don't think he will be able to get the job done.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

For the vast majority of people, sports is about stories more than stats. The Tiger story has a compelling narrative arc: prodigy becomes all-time great, flames out in spectacular fashion, and returns with gritty determination to regain former glory. Every tournament is a new episode a long-running series that has been immensely rewarding to its fans.

Francesco Molinari had a great weekend of golf.

There are always those who watch a sport merely for performance and don't care about narrative. Those people will always be in the minority, and TV coverage won't be tailored to their tastes.

I can certainly understand why people would be sick of Tiger. I can understand why, if people are sick of Tiger, they would hate the way golf is covered.

I can't understand why anyone would think that golf is going to be covered any other way.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I can't understand why anyone would think that golf is going to be covered any other way.

Or any sport... or generally anything else the media covers.

Not sure why people have such a hard time wrapping their head around it and constantly complain when it always has and will always be this way.

Not sure why people have such a hard time wrapping their head around it and constantly complain when it always has and will always be this way.

Because everyone complains about something; seems like it is part of human nature.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It's the same when Phil is the field. There are designated feature groups that get the coverage. Tv coverage can he weird on the tiger coverage but it's really no different than any other athlete that draws in ratings and the tv execs are going to show what brings in money

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I tend to agree with you. If the coverage wants to show a couple of good shots that Tiger hit fine with me. If anyone has a hole in one I would want to see that too. But come on ask 100 people that watched the tourmament who won 90 of them would say Tiger. You would almost forget about Molinari who had an incredible weekend while Tiger just blew up on the back 9 each time. Who wants to watch a putt for Triple Bogey?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

*sigh* another hate 'Tiger coverage thread'.

I just looked in to say I think Tiger has an awesome chance to do exceptionally well at Carnastie Open in 2 weeks. We've had a heatwave here and set to continue.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'll echo everyone else when it comes to his coverage. They will always cover the greats even when they aren't playing well or past their prime because they get more viewers doing that. Is it right? Nope, prolly not, but they pander to the average viewer. Golf coverage in general kind of sucks to me. We don't get to see that many shots. I think CBS, NBC and Fox should model their coverage more after Sky sports. SHOW MORE GOLF!

With that said, the people who are acting like Tiger is some broken down shell of a tour pro have lost their minds. He's 13th on tour in scoring average and is only 6 months into a comeback where he played sparingly for the last 4 years. I don't think anybody can be hurt for 4 years and not play much and then come back and just dominate the best players in the world.

Tiger has a better scoring average this year than DeChambeau, Noren, Phil, Spieth, Reed, Rahm, Cantlay, Molinari, Leishman, Bubba, Kuchar and Kizzire. All of which have either won inside the last year or are staples inside the top 30 in the world. The Sagarin rankings which is an alternate to the OWGR actually show Tiger as 9th in the world. They are a more "what have you done for me lately" type of rankings and do not value passed years achievements as much as the OWGR.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

The media doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I love these threads.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I just bought a dozen Tour BXS with Tiger on the side.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

While I under$tand the rea$oning behind the exten$ive coverage of a player out of contention, it's no le$$ annoying.  I'm not a hero worshipping kind of guy and would rather see the players who are "on" that week playing well with very brief interludes and updates on what the Phil's, Tiger's, Jordan's and DJ's of the world did that week.  I'm probably a minority :P

I'll echo everyone else when it comes to his coverage. They will always cover the greats even when they aren't playing well or past their prime because they get more viewers doing that. Is it right? Nope, prolly not, but they pander to the average viewer. Golf coverage in general kind of sucks to me. We don't get to see that many shots. I think CBS, NBC and Fox should model their coverage more after Sky sports. SHOW MORE GOLF!

With that said, the people who are acting like Tiger is some broken down shell of a tour pro have lost their minds. He's 13th on tour in scoring average and is only 6 months into a comeback where he played sparingly for the last 4 years. I don't think anybody can be hurt for 4 years and not play much and then come back and just dominate the best players in the world.

Tiger has a better scoring average this year than DeChambeau, Noren, Phil, Spieth, Reed, Rahm, Cantlay, Molinari, Leishman, Bubba, Kuchar and Kizzire. All of which have either won inside the last year or are staples inside the top 30 in the world. The Sagarin rankings which is an alternate to the OWGR actually show Tiger as 9th in the world. They are a more "what have you done for me lately" type of rankings and do not value passed years achievements as much as the OWGR.

Imo fox covers golf the best of that group when it comes to showing more golf. Not a lot of the fluff pieces or cutaways to the studio/desk guys.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

While I under$tand the rea$oning behind the exten$ive coverage of a player out of contention, it's no le$$ annoying.  I'm not a hero worshipping kind of guy and would rather see the players who are "on" that week playing well with very brief interludes and updates on what the Phil's, Tiger's, Jordan's and DJ's of the world did that week.  I'm probably a minority :P

Ditto. Unless the guy who is "on" is Patrick Cantlay. Then I'll just turn off the TV.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I generally hate don't like the media all that much. News, sports, local, national. They're all kind of full of themselves sometimes.

hate to say it  must admit, the media has been obsessing over Tiger for 20 years! I agree it's a little much perhaps for a guy that's not really contending but... we're watching one of the greatest players ever and he's trying to come back. That in and of itself is a story I'd guess. Will he? Not where he used to be. However, he just might win again one day. Then what? If you hate  don't like Tiger for being on the course just be glad Hogan or Sneed can't rise up from their grave and show up at a tournament one day. Who will the cameras be following then? You guessed it.... Hogan and Sneed and..... Tiger!!!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree there Plaid, but it is pretty sad that the have to go back to 2008 to get stats on the most wins since 2008. And DJ just bested old Tiger.

So the dude had been off for a few years.

It is really not much different than the Patriots coverage, Bama's coverage.... I don't follow other sports but he really was/is golf.

I dislike the media too, don't follow any of it.

I have nothing against Tiger Woods other than I've just never been a fan that pulls for him in tournaments (outside Ryder Cup).  I like a handful of his competitors better and that's who I root for.  What really spoiled me on TW's was the absolute slobbering drool-fest by the media during his peak years. It was Tiger 24/7/365 which, to those of us who are not his adherent fan base, is off-putting. 

As someone has already pointed out, to look at this morning's news clips, one would think Tiger had won the Quicken Loans event.  "Molinari wins" was 3 pages deep for hell sake; darn near in the obituaries. The same thing with Webb Simson's win at the Players Championship and Koepka's win at the U.S. Open (with Tiger cruising back down the Atlantic coast aboard Privacy having missed the cut).

Yes, TW's is a greatest player in the modern era.  Yes, he has brought along with him a huge impact to the sport; especially with rejuvenating interest with younger folks during a period that the sport was somewhat stagnant if not losing interest.  Yes, it's both amazing and exciting to see him come back to tour play when many wondered if that was ever going to happen.  But a modicum of balance from the media would sure be nice... just saying.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Imo fox covers golf the best of that group when it comes to showing more golf. Not a lot of the fluff pieces or cutaways to the studio/desk guys.

I 100% agree. People's hatred for their coverage makes very little sense to me. NBC seems to be the second best and CBS runs purely off narratives, tap ins and the occasional shot "from a moment ago."  :D

Although all of them could get better and do a better job of showing more golf. 

He is a big draw to the game for hard core fans and casual fans alike, which is why he is covered so much. I get the able your coming from because it does sometimes detract from the very talented young golfers who were getting covered while tiger was injured but it's just like LeBron for basketball or Tom Brady for football. Whether you like them or hate them, they attract people to the game. Plus if you're a hardcore fan you can find plenty of coverage of the great field of young golfers who are the present and future of the game

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Thank you for Sky Sports!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I 100% agree. People's hatred for their coverage makes very little sense to me. NBC seems to be the second best and CBS runs purely off narratives, tap ins and the occasional shot "from a moment ago." :D

My only complaint about fox revolves around Joe Buck.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I 100% agree. People's hatred for their coverage makes very little sense to me. NBC seems to be the second best and CBS runs purely off narratives, tap ins and the occasional shot "from a moment ago." :D

Imo fox has the best announce crew top to bottom outside of holly (great to look at, terrible at interviews) and their use of technology and the amount of actual golf I much prefer them. Now that feherty is gone from cbs I have no one on that side I like. NBC/golf channel has a bunch of good tools but they aren't on tv at the same time. Give me duval over Miller, steve sands or savarikas in the booth with him. Oberholser and Maliby on the course with feherty whenever

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Thank you for Sky Sports!

Quit bragging  <_ lol>

I'd seriously pay for their coverage of PGA events if I could. 

The fact that the thread was started and that it has evoked so many impassioned reactions speaks for itself. News and Sports on TV are entertainment - they show what moves the needle. Tiger moves the needle.

To the OP. I could well have started this thread a year or two ago even though I'm more a Tiger lover than hater. Like others I wish the Networks played more golf.

But having gone to Valspar 11 out of the past 12 years and seeing the difference in the gallery this year compared to others?

Oh my is a competitive Tiger good for golf.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My only complaint about fox revolves around Joe Buck.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I know this is a Tiger thread but I can't LIKE this enough!

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Archived