TESTERS WANTED! ×

I'm burned out on the Tiger "Worshipers"

Mr. 82

Tiger certainly moves the needle in terms of attendance and TV ratings, but it appears he doesn't really move the needle in terms of sales and profitability. Bridgestone's  problems after signing Tiger, Nike's exit from the equipment side of golf demonstrate a disparity between Tiger's popularity and the impact he has on bottom lines.

Rhetorical question, Are a large proportion of Tiger fans not really golfers?  

I'm a fan of golf, and would much prefer to watch golf shots played (by anyone) than anyone (not just Tiger) walk a fairway or be huddled with their caddy for several minutes. Show every shot Tiger plays by all means, but I don't think anyone will turn off if you show less walking and more golf.

With TV technology now days, the networks could probably broadcast a "Press Red for Tiger" channel that shows nothing but Tiger for his entire round, which would keep everyone happy. Watch that if you want to see Tiger walk, stand around etc, and the main channel for golf, including Tiger proportionally and appropriate to where he is on the leaderboard.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to feel that way about Buck until I listened to him on the BS podcast. Now he's ok in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

BS podcast? I've heard Buck on a couple of podcasts as well and I can tell that it means a lot to him to do a good job. He doesn't always do the best but he's trying to improve. Which is more than I can say for most of the others in golf. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

BS podcast? I've heard Buck on a couple of podcasts as well and I can tell that it means a lot to him to do a good job. He doesn't always do the best but he's trying to improve. Which is more than I can say for most of the others in golf.

Bill Simmons

Maybe that's part of my issue with him. He's trying too hard sometimes. My current favorite, and I don't even know his name, is the guy that does the European tour. I love that he does not always feel the need to fill air. Sometimes silence is a good thing, imo.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Maybe that's part of my issue with him. He's trying too hard sometimes. My current favorite, and I don't even know his name, is the guy that does the European tour. I love that he does not always feel the need to fill air. Sometimes silence is a good thing, imo.

Prolly so. And I think I know which one you mean.

What is the BS podcast btw?

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I have nothing against Tiger Woods other than I've just never been a fan that pulls for him in tournaments (outside Ryder Cup).  I like a handful of his competitors better and that's who I root for.  What really spoiled me on TW's was the absolute slobbering drool-fest by the media during his peak years. It was Tiger 24/7/365 which, to those of us who are not his adherent fan base, is off-putting. 

As someone has already pointed out, to look at this morning's news clips, one would think Tiger had won the Quicken Loans event.  "Molinari wins" was 3 pages deep for hell sake; darn near in the obituaries. The same thing with Webb Simson's win at the Players Championship and Koepka's win at the U.S. Open (with Tiger cruising back down the Atlantic coast aboard Privacy having missed the cut).

Yes, TW's is a greatest player in the modern era.  Yes, he has brought along with him a huge impact to the sport; especially with rejuvenating interest with younger folks during a period that the sport was somewhat stagnant if not losing interest.  Yes, it's both amazing and exciting to see him come back to tour play when many wondered if that was ever going to happen.  But a modicum of balance from the media would sure be nice... just saying.

This x 1,000! Can I be your best friend??

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

This x 1,000! Can I be your best friend??

How many people 1) Care about Webb Simpson winning one event on tour this year 2) same for Molinari 3) how many know either of them or care to know about either of them 4) media whether print, tv, digital care about $$$ talking about tiger, his play, the success of this comeback draws more readers/viewers and thus $$$ so that's what they are going to focus on

If it was DJ, Spieth, Rahm(to an extent) Fowler or Rory and agree others then them getting buried over tiger coversgecmakes sense.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I usually don't bother with the Tiger stuff anymore, but...................

I get that some people are tired of him/the coverage given to him. No, he will never be what he once was.... but neither will any of us. He's had knee surgeries, shoulder surgery, Back surgeries, and he's ranked 67th in world, so far, in his come back bid!

That's pretty damned good for a 42 year old player that's had to deal with all that.... and the personal stuff that is no ones business, that, unfortunately we all know about thanks to social media and the dishonest media in general.

Tiger has done wonders for the game of golf.... no matter how you feel about him.

Of course the media is going to cover him! Do you really think they won't!? If Jack were to tee it up on senior tour right now, who do you think the cameras would be on, regardless of who was winning or playing lights out? 

I just don't understand the hate directed towards a guy that was/is one of the greatest player ever, no matter if he can/will win again. 

I'm done with the Tiger haters. I'm rooting for him no matter what anyone else thinks. And no.... I'm not a Tiger worshiper. I just know what he means to the game and the things he's accomplished... just the same as Jack, Arnie, Gary, Seve and a number of other players that have entertained us over the years with phenomenal shots and play.

I'm a big Jason Day fan, if anyone was wondering who favorite player is... and John Daly... another player that seems to garner bad press and wishes from a large contingent.

Just enjoy the game!

How many people 1) Care about Webb Simpson winning one event on tour this year 2) same for Molinari 3) how many know either of them or care to know about either of them 4) media whether print, tv, digital care about $$$ talking about tiger, his play, the success of this comeback draws more readers/viewers and thus $$$ so that's what they are going to focus on

If it was DJ, Spieth, Rahm(to an extent) Fowler or Rory and agree others then them getting buried over tiger coversgecmakes sense.

I'll raise my hand for Webb Simpson and Molinari. 

I completely understand the coverage and am not complaining.  Tiger is just good for golf.  To make a reference to the World Cup and seeing Cristiano Ronaldo (immortal sports status) take over the first game against Spain, it made me realize that we aren't going to have guys around that can make you ask, "how did he just do that?" forever.  I will take the Tiger coverage while he is still competitive and enjoy 320 yard drives and stinger 2 irons.  However, we may have to wait for his replacement before he has a good day on the green.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

That's pretty damned good for a 42 year old player that's had to deal with all that.... and the personal stuff that is no ones business, that, unfortunately we all know about thanks to social media and the dishonest media in general.

I just don't understand the hate directed towards a guy that was/is one of the greatest player ever, no matter if he can/will win again.

I'm done with the Tiger haters. I'm rooting for him no matter what anyone else thinks. And no.... I'm not a Tiger worshiper. I just know what he means to the game and the things he's accomplished... just the same as Jack, Arnie, Gary, Seve and a number of other players that have entertained us over the years with phenomenal shots and play.

Spot on! The guy has 14 majors, 79 wins. Who is the next closest? Phil... with 5 majors and 43 total. Then DL3 that I can see as active players with 1 major and 21 wins.

Also looks like Gary Player has the Highest major to win ratio with 9 of his 26 wins being a Major. 35% of his W's were a major.

Not a lot of new that I can add to this thread, except for the fact it will probably go on for 20 pages, with much the same of good points being made on both sides.   And that folks is what they call "moving the needle" Tiger compelled the OP to make his post and 40 some others and counting compelled to add their thoughts, which is great. 

The only thing I will say, it's not fair to say they didn't cover anyone else.  I watched coverage all day Saturday and Sunday, and just about every shot Molanari took was covered, as well others when they were in contention.   I think Molanari got a lot of commentary coverage as well about his story to pass on the French Open and play there.   As well as why he hasn't won on the PGA Tour etc. 

The above tweet along with a screen shot I posted on twitter @golfspyRob of his opening tee shot show it.  The vast majority of people there wanted to see Tiger, the vast majority watching on TV, want to see Tiger.  It's pretty simple, look at the ratings of tournaments he plays in and ones he doesn't.

RevKev gave a perfect example of a run of the mill tournament Valspar with and without Tiger in the field.   That should be enough to explain why coverage is what it is.   It has nothing to do with will he win again, or how well he'll play that given week, it's that the casual golf fan AND a to a large degree, the avid golfer, wants to see Tiger.   

You (not the OP, just everyone in general) doesn't have to like it, but accepting it, will go a great way towards easing your anger and frustration. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I am in the group of Tiger not likers. Never have and never will. I don't mind that they cover his round, because as others said that's where thy feel the money is, what I really don't like is the over excessive coverage, and all of the replays of his round. If he plays in the morning, and you watch in the afternoon, you will see the entire highlights of his round at least 5 times. My sue is t that they show him or cover him, my issue is the excessive nature of it. I want to watch everyone in contention, if Tiger is there then show him, but don't forget about the other guys a well.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'll raise my hand for Webb Simpson and Molinari.

I completely understand the coverage and am not complaining. Tiger is just good for golf. To make a reference to the World Cup and seeing Cristiano Ronaldo (immortal sports status) take over the first game against Spain, it made me realize that we aren't going to have guys around that can make you ask, "how did he just do that?" forever. I will take the Tiger coverage while he is still competitive and enjoy 320 yard drives and stinger 2 irons. However, we may have to wait for his replacement before he has a good day on the green.

I'm with you. We are probably in the minority of caring about guys like Molinari and Simpson, along with a few others. Im not one who is disappointed when the first page of the leaderboard is filled with lesser known guys as long as there is good and exciting golf being played. I like a 1-3 stroke difference on the leaderboard heading to the back 9 on Sunday.

I agree in several sports we have generational players and in some there aren't any guys/girls coming that will replace them. Sure there's a bunch of good to really good but that great/exceptional isn't quite there. I hope we see another tiger/jack/Arnie hit the links in my lifetime (currently 44 years old).

I'll taje whatever coverage I can get of the great ones as long as possible. Jack won at 46, Watson almost won the open late in life.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I still enjoy watching Tiger play. Every time he swings I'm on the edge of my seat. Will he drain it? Well he hit a nasty draw 300 yards? He still has the skill to roast anyone one on one. For me he is still that guy. I don't worship him, but I can't say I don't enjoy watching him. Even if he is 11 shots of the lead, if anyone can wow the fans and make a comeback, it's Tiger. Sure, he is overrated, I tell me wife every time she asks how he is doing. But I'll be damned if I don't enjoy watching him play still.

Rich

Irons: Mizuno MPH-4 (4-PW)

Driver: Ping G400 LST

Wedges: Cleveland 52, 56, 62

Putter: Rife

Orlando, FL

I think many great points have been made on the subject of TW and the attention he receives.

As a fan, I love watching greatness and TW was the greatest for such a long time.  We love a comeback story, so the attention he draws now is due to watching that story arc.  It is a fascinating journey from so many angles.

As to the "unfair" coverage compared to players actually in contention, that part of the gripe I agree 100% with.  There has to be a balance in coverage between watching/discussing the story arcs and showing actual golf. 

And also, I would love it if all golf TV coverage would find a way to stop showing a player swing, then have a camera tracking a white ball across the blue sky with no context as to where it is going.  

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

And also, I would love it if all golf TV coverage would find a way to stop showing a player swing, then have a camera tracking a white ball across the blue sky with no context as to where it is going.  

Good point now that you mention it.  :lol:

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

My only complaint about fox revolves around Joe Buck.

^^^^^^  T H I S ^^^^^^^^^^^

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Interesting to see how many of "US" will tune in to watch the TIGER VS Phil event.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I mean, the same could be said of Lebron or MJ. If the greatest is playing/doing anything why not watch?

For a sport like golf it needs the stories and headlines a high profile player like Tiger provides.

He gets the people going.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I could happily watch his whole round shot for shot, then a highlights show of everyone else ;)

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Exactly. I don't think there's enough Tiger coverage.

But could you please spare us the Tiger references and comments during a tournament when he is not even playing?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

No way, Tiger is THE MAN. If he's back in the game he SHOULD be the conversation. 

...but does he have calves like @Joyzee10 ???

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Archived