TESTERS WANTED! ×

I'm burned out on the Tiger "Worshipers"

Mr. 82

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes sir. Pretty much sums everything up. The PGA will have the highest ratings, same as all of the playoffs while Tiger is there.

He is golf, no way around it. Brings the spectators out that don't care for the current generation.

Yes sir. Pretty much sums everything up. The PGA will have the highest ratings, same as all of the playoffs while Tiger is there.

He is golf, no way around it. Brings the spectators out that don't care for the current generation.

As I've said on m weekly radio spot several times,  well I stole the line, but it's very true "Tiger doesn't move the needle, he IS the needle"

I know we all have differing opinions and that's great, it really is.   But I have hard time understanding some others...just as they probably don't understand mine.   I just don't understand all the dislike (I won't use the hate word, as it's such a cliche) for Tiger, Rory and Jordan.   Outside of Tiger's past personal issues, which I don't think anyone would condone, what is it about those three that drive people to dislike them so much?   Are they tired of seeing them win?   They are certainly not "bad" people from anything I've seen.again leaving Tigers's past in the past, but I know some can't do that.  

The only I thing I hate about Rory and Jordan...ooops I said it, is seeing them miss 3 foot putts that really seem to derail their efforts at the worst possible times.   it appeared until Sunday that Jordan had that licked.  Rory too for the most part.    He may have missed a ton of 8 to 10 foooters, but not not many "gimmees" that I saw. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I just don't understand all the dislike (I won't use the hate word, as it's such a cliche) for Tiger, Rory and Jordan.   Outside of Tiger's past personal issues, which I don't think anyone would condone, what is it about those three that drive people to dislike them so much?   Are they tired of seeing them win?   They are certainly not "bad" people from anything I've semen...again leaving Tigers's past in the past, but I know some can't do that. 

I can fairly easily sum up why I will always root for anyone but Tiger and Jordan (and to a lesser extent, Rory and JT). I call it the Michael Jordan effect. The media has clearly (perhaps justifiably) determined that I am interested in all things Tiger or all things Jordan. I am not, so in my mind, they suffer from over-exposure. When Tiger and Jordan are in the hunt, like yesterday, I do not mind seeing most, if not all their shots - it's the benefit of being in one of the last groups. But when they are not in contention, I have no desire to see their every move. I want to see whoever is playing well, as long as it isn't Cantlay. I'm not tired of seeing them win, just tired of seeing them, period. Of course, these are just my opinions and feelings on the matter.

I will add that I was sort of pulling for Tiger (once it became clear Fleetwood wasn't going to win me the Wilson/Staff Challenge) because of the bigger picture, history of the game, not necessarily because I'm a fan of his.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

As I've said on m weekly radio spot several times, well I stole the line, but it's very true "Tiger doesn't move the needle, he IS the needle"

I know we all have differing opinions and that's great, it really is. But I have hard time understanding some others...just as they probably don't understand mine. I just don't understand all the dislike (I won't use the hate word, as it's such a cliche) for Tiger, Rory and Jordan. Outside of Tiger's past personal issues, which I don't think anyone would condone, what is it about those three that drive people to dislike them so much? Are they tired of seeing them win? They are certainly not "bad" people from anything I've semen...again leaving Tigers's past in the past, but I know some can't do that.

The only I thing I hate about Rory and Jordan...ooops I said it, is seeing them miss 3 foot putts that really seem to derail their efforts at the worst possible times. it appeared until Sunday that Jordan had that licked. Rory too for the most part. He may have missed a ton of 8 to 10 foooters, but not not many "gimmees" that I saw.

We all know I don't care for JS. But I think it is the media created persona of him I don't like, not him general. I have a feeling it's the same with Tiger. Sure he did some stupid stuff, but it makes no difference to me. I am not his buddy, his family, the people who actually matter in his personal life. I really could care less. He is probably the greatest sports figure of my lifetime. That doesn't come around very often.

Just like the guys wife that beat him up last month, who cares? It is none of my business or anyone else's for that matter.

I can fairly easily sum up why I will always root for anyone but Tiger and Jordan (and to a lesser extent, Rory and JT). I call it the Michael Jordan effect. The media has clearly (perhaps justifiably) determined that I am interested in all things Tiger or all things Jordan. I am not, so in my mind, they suffer from over-exposure. When Tiger and Jordan are in the hunt, like yesterday, I do not mind seeing most, if not all their shots - it's the benefit of being in one of the last groups. But when they are not in contention, I have no desire to see their every move. I want to see whoever is playing well, as long as it isn't Cantlay. I'm not tired of seeing them win, just tired of seeing them, period. Of course, these are just my opinions and feelings on the matter.

I will add that I was sort of pulling for Tiger (once it became clear Fleetwood wasn't going to win me the Wilson/Staff Challenge) because of the bigger picture, history of the game, not necessarily because I'm a fan of his.

"as long as it isn't Cantlay"

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Ok, I get your point on the media determining what you want to see, and I kind of used to feel that way as well, until I started working in it--granted on a very limited basis--trust me the producers and directors aren't trying to read your mind.  They are going off proven ratings viewer feedback.  I was surprised, probably shouldn't have been, there are a lot more and I mean a lot more casual fans of every sport than there are die hard fans of every sport.   Take this forum for example, we are probably the most informed (along with other golf forums) and educated golf viewers around, but yet in big pool of TV ratings, we are a drop in the pond.   It's that way for football, basketball and baseball as well.   So in most cases the networks are giving the masses what they want.   You'd be surprised how many "casual" golf fans work at my course.   Many of our staff don't watch golf on a regular basis and don't know players outside the top 10 or 15, but if Tiger is playing, they will make sure to watch or at the very least try to find out what how he did.  

It's the same wayin our town and radio with the Redskins, I don't really want to hear talk radio about them 7 days a week in April, May and June during each show.  But that's what the emails, phone calls and ratings show.  They'd rather here talk about the Redskins backup QB than the Nationals or until this year the Capitals.  it took them winning the Stanley Cup to knock the Redskins off the top story for the first time in years.  

"as long as it isn't Cantlay"

Ok, I gotta know,  Two of you said this about Cantlay?   Why?

Ok, I get your point on the media determining what you want to see, and I kind of used to feel that way as well, until I started working in it--granted on a very limited basis--trust me the producers and directors aren't trying to read your mind. They are going off proven ratings viewer feedback. I was surprised, probably shouldn't have been, there are a lot more and I mean a lot more casual fans of every sport than there are die hard fans of every sport. Take this forum for example, we are probably the most informed (along with other golf forums) and educated golf viewers around, but yet in big pool of TV ratings, we are a drop in the pond. It's that way for football, basketball and baseball as well. So in most cases the networks are giving the masses what they want. You'd be surprised how many "casual" golf fans work at my course. Many of our staff don't watch golf on a regular basis and don't know players outside the top 10 or 15, but if Tiger is playing, they will make sure to watch or at the very least try to find out what how he did.

It's the same wayin our town and radio with the Redskins, I don't really want to hear talk radio about them 7 days a week in April, May and June during each show. But that's what the emails, phone calls and ratings show. They'd rather here talk about the Redskins backup QB than the Nationals or until this year the Capitals. it took them winning the Stanley Cup to knock the Redskins off the top story for the first time in years.

Ok, I gotta know, Two of you said this about Cantlay? Why?

I can't stand watching the 60 second shuffle.I don't mind if he plays well just as long as they cut to him as he's about to pull the trigger. He just dances forever. Makes a 2 footer into a dramatic moment though

Ok, I gotta know, Two of you said this about Cantlay? Why?

In addition to gaussman's answer, I'll add the look on his face. He always looks someone just made him eat a sh*t sandwich. I don't know why it bugs me, because I don't expect them to be all smiles, all day, but he always looks especially sour.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Another one that never really looks happy to be out there is Dufner...

He's like the antithesis of Kuchar.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Another one that never really looks happy to be out there is Dufner...

He's like the antithesis of Kuchar.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Dufner won my vote for best personality on tour last year. He's right on par for 2018 too.

IMG_3519.PNG

A good sleeper pick for the PGA too.

I'll put this here...

Tiger will never win another tournament.. just maybe, a small insignificant one maybe. But not a major or big tourney w/main players.

Really? I thought his swing actually looked better and better as the Open went on, particularly with the irons. I've been a skeptic all season but I think he's close and won't be surprised to see him win soon

I'll put this here...

Tiger will never win another tournament.. just maybe, a small insignificant one maybe. But not a major or big tourney w/main players.

Yea... This seems like a really refined take right here. The guy who just finished T6 at the Open and had the lead outright at one point on Sunday has no shot to ever win another meaningful golf tournament  :blink: 

Despite the fact that he's barely 6 months into a comeback where he was almost bed ridden and had trouble walking a little over a year ago.  

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Ok, I gotta know,  Two of you said this about Cantlay?   Why?

I'm with Gaussman and everyone else here. I think Cantlay has miles of game and I really enjoy seeing his shots. Just don't make me watch any of the lead up to the shots. It TAKES FOREVER. 

As I've said on m weekly radio spot several times, well I stole the line, but it's very true "Tiger doesn't move the needle, he IS the needle"

I know we all have differing opinions and that's great, it really is. But I have hard time understanding some others...just as they probably don't understand mine. I just don't understand all the dislike (I won't use the hate word, as it's such a cliche) for Tiger, Rory and Jordan. Outside of Tiger's past personal issues, which I don't think anyone would condone, what is it about those three that drive people to dislike them so much? Are they tired of seeing them win? They are certainly not "bad" people from anything I've seen.again leaving Tigers's past in the past, but I know some can't do that.

The only I thing I hate about Rory and Jordan...ooops I said it, is seeing them miss 3 foot putts that really seem to derail their efforts at the worst possible times. it appeared until Sunday that Jordan had that licked. Rory too for the most part. He may have missed a ton of 8 to 10 foooters, but not not many "gimmees" that I saw.

reread the title of this thread. The sickness is not at Tiger, but at the people who worship him. I don't believe I've said a negative word against Tiger here honestly. If I did then it's probably out of frustration for those that live and die by ever breath the man takes.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I know. Not wishing him anything bad. Just makin a prediction

Just disagreeing with your take on it is all.. It wouldn't be much of a "take" if everyone agreed with you! 

Sorry I can't just share the link since I am mobile.

In not so surprising news, Golf Channel and NBC saw record numbers during their coverage of the 2018 Open Championship. There is a very easy explanation for this: Tiger Woods.

Woods was not only in contention on Sunday, he led the tournament for a while on the back nine.

The first round of The Open on Thursday, which earned a 0.79 overnight rating, was the most watched in its three years on Golf Channel. It was also the most-watched Thursday ever, and the fifth best total day record for the channel between 2006 and 2018. To make things even more impressive, Golf Channel was the number one rated cable sports network for the day by 9%, and from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern it was the number one cable sports network by 314%.

Friday coverage of the second round was just as impressive, earning a 0.87 overnight rating. The early round coverage was up 4% over 2017, and was up 11% for the day, making it the most-watched weekday broadcast since the 2016 Ryder Cup Friday.

The third round on Saturday earned a 3.0 overnight rating, which was up 25% over 2017. It was the highest third round rating since 2013 when Phil Mickelson won, and the second highest overnight rating in a major in 2018 (the Masters leads that category). TV viewership was up 21% over 2017, and streaming viewership was up 23% over 2017.

The final round on Sunday is where things get even more impressive and show just how much Tiger Woods being in contention on Sunday in a major means to the sport. Sure Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy were in the hunt, but Tiger moves the needle.

NBC Sports' final round coverage saw the best ratings for The Open Championship in 18 years with a 5.0 overnight rating. It is the highest final round overnight rating since Tiger completed the career grand slam in 2000 (which earned a 7.4 overnight rating on ABC). NBC's coverage was also up a staggering 38% over 2017 when Jordan Spieth won at Royal Birkdale. This was the highest rated final round for any major championship since 2015, not including the Masters, when Jason Day's win at Whistling Straights in the PGA Championship earned a 5.1.

Tiger Woods is back, and fans of the sport aren't the only ones who are happy. NBC Sports could not have asked for a better weekend.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

We all know I don't care for JS. But I think it is the media created persona of him I don't like, not him general. I have a feeling it's the same with Tiger. Sure he did some stupid stuff, but it makes no difference to me. I am not his buddy, his family, the people who actually matter in his personal life. I really could care less. He is probably the greatest sports figure of my lifetime. That doesn't come around very often.

Just like the guys wife that beat him up last month, who cares? It is none of my business or anyone else's for that matter.

Even though you aren't his close family or friends, how do you root for that? Some people hate on Poulter and Bubba because they don't like them as a person. How is it any different with Tiger? Just because he is a great athlete he should get a free pass? Say Lebron James did some "stupid stuff"; should he get a free pass? Does talent outweigh personality?

I won't argue that he is great for the sport and golf in general though.

I know I may be in the minority here.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Even though you aren't his close family or friends, how do you root for that? Some people hate on Poulter and Bubba because they don't like them as a person. How is it any different with Tiger? Just because he is a great athlete he should get a free pass? Say Lebron James did some "stupid stuff"; should he get a free pass? Does talent outweigh personality?

I won't argue that he is great for the sport and golf in general though.

I know I may be in the minority here.

Well. I grew up watching Tiger play, he's the reason I started playing. I am not the one to judge him anyways. That's up to someone else. Simple really.

Well. I grew up watching Tiger play, he's the reason I started playing. I am not the one to judge him anyways. That's up to someone else. Simple really.

You're right. It isn't up to me to judge. He is a really great player and for the game of golf I hope he does well again. He also does some great charity work and for that I respect him. I hope and think he learned his lesson and seems to be a better person having gone through what he went through.

You're right. It isn't up to me to judge. He is a really great player and for the game of golf I hope he does well again. He also does some great charity work and for that I respect him. I hope and think he learned his lesson and seems to be a better person having gone through what he went through.

It's all good. I don't expect everyone to like him. Trust me, he isn't a role model I'd tell my kids to model themselves after, but he brings the entertainment factor to golf.

It's all good. I don't expect everyone to like him. Trust me, he isn't a role model I'd tell my kids to model themselves after, but he brings the entertainment factor to golf.

There could not be a truer statement than that.

but he brings the entertainment factor to golf.

Serious question - can you elaborate on this?  How does Tiger today, right now, stand out more than any other golfer from an entertainment value?

THIS, in and of itself is the one thing that stands out in my mind about all of this madness surrounding him.  What does he do differently from any other golfer on Tour or anywhere else right now that is more "entertaining"?

If anything, I think DJ, or Bubba, or some of the other golfers who far exceed the distance Tiger hits it now, and have better short games around the green, like Mickelson, are far more entertaining.  But in all honestly, Tiger's golf entertainment value right now is but a side show, especially when you consider all of the clowns that follow him around the golf course and scream in the middle of his backswing.  I mean, if that's what you are counting as entertainment value, then I guess so.

Serious question - can you elaborate on this? How does Tiger today, right now, stand out more than any other golfer from an entertainment value?

THIS, in and of itself is the one thing that stands out in my mind about all of this madness surrounding him. What does he do differently from any other golfer on Tour or anywhere else right now that is more "entertaining"?

If anything, I think DJ, or Bubba, or some of the other golfers who far exceed the distance Tiger hits it now, and have better short games around the green, like Mickelson, are far more entertaining. But in all honestly, Tiger's golf entertainment value right now is but a side show, especially when you consider all of the clowns that follow him around the golf course and scream in the middle of his backswing. I mean, if that's what you are counting as entertainment value, then I guess so.

Just read the news, Twitter, facebook... it's all right there man.

You'd have to be crazy to think the rating for The Open would have been what they were without Tiger there....

I'm not saying he is the entertainment. I'd rather watch Bubba for crazy stuff.

We get it you don't like Tiger, and that's fine. Chill out a bit.

Serious question - can you elaborate on this?  How does Tiger today, right now, stand out more than any other golfer from an entertainment value?

THIS, in and of itself is the one thing that stands out in my mind about all of this madness surrounding him.  What does he do differently from any other golfer on Tour or anywhere else right now that is more "entertaining"?

If anything, I think DJ, or Bubba, or some of the other golfers who far exceed the distance Tiger hits it now, and have better short games around the green, like Mickelson, are far more entertaining.  But in all honestly, Tiger's golf entertainment value right now is but a side show, especially when you consider all of the clowns that follow him around the golf course and scream in the middle of his backswing.  I mean, if that's what you are counting as entertainment value, then I guess so.

I'll take a stab at this.   Because he has IT   Whatever IT is, you know it when you see it.   His 12 year stretch of being the best in the world by miles, is still fresh in most people's memory.   He wasn't just the best player in the world for a short period of time.   He dominated the sport like nobody ever had before...Remember Jack's 18 majors were won over 25 some years. Tiger won 14 in 11 years,   

So, when he has made all his comebacks, people tune in to see if he still has IT.   Just him showing up at a tournament is going draw crowds and thus TV Ratings, because people are watching  to see if he can recapture the magic.  And while it's likely he'll never be as dominant as he was in those 11 years, it's the fact that as Toby Kieth sings..."I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was"   This past weekend was a prime example of that.

To me it's not entirely unlike, seeing Willie Mays play for the New York Mets in 1972 as a 40 year old, obviously he wasn't THE Willie Mays but as a 12 year old kid who missed his prime years, I was excited to see him play.   

As for Dustin, Phil and Bubba...well they all have IT as well.   So that's not really a good comp.   To say Tiger is a side show, is just wrong and shows some sign of some sort of prejudiced agenda.  Do you realize he's 50th in the world right now. That's hardly a side show.   A side show, would be him continuing to have the yips and shanks he was having a year or so ago and continuing to try and play competitive golf with them. 

Just read the news, Twitter, facebook... it's all right there man.

You'd have to be crazy to think the rating for The Open would have been what they were without Tiger there....

I'm not saying he is the entertainment. I'd rather watch Bubba for crazy stuff.

We get it you don't like Tiger, and that's fine. Chill out a bit.

so you are saying that because people are talking all the time about Tiger in the media and in social media, that that makes him entertaining?

I'm not debating what drives the ratings, I'm simply asking why Tiger drives the ratings, when in his current form, his golf game is as "average" (for a lack of a better relative term) as the next guy on Tour.

If you are not saying "he is the entertainment", then why did you say the reason you watched Tiger for was because he was "entertaining"?

I have nothing against Tiger.  I don't honestly care about Tiger personally, or professionally.  What bothers me, as I titled this thread, are the Tiger Worshippers.  It has nothing to do with Tiger, believe it or not, but all of the ************************************************************

so you are saying that because people are talking all the time about Tiger in the media and in social media, that that makes him entertaining?

I'm not debating what drives the ratings, I'm simply asking why Tiger drives the ratings, when in his current form, his golf game is as "average" (for a lack of a better relative term) as the next guy on Tour.

If you are not saying "he is the entertainment", then why did you say the reason you watched Tiger for was because he was "entertaining"?

I have nothing against Tiger.  I don't honestly care about Tiger personally, or professionally.  What bothers me, as I titled this thread, are the Tiger Worshippers.  It has nothing to do with Tiger, believe it or not, but all of the **************************************************

Let's watch our language please

To say Tiger is a side show, is just wrong and shows some sign of some sort of prejudiced agenda.  Do you realize he's 50th in the world right now. That's hardly a side show.   A side show, would be him continuing to have the yips and shanks he was having a year or so ago and continuing to try and play competitive golf with them. 

Not what I said. I said, "Tiger's golf entertainment value right now is but a side show".

His game is "average" for a Tour pro right now.  Compare his game to any other Tour pro.  He's average in my mind.

Honestly, what is a prejudiced agenda is the media coverage of Tiger, and the throngs of worshippers waiting on baited breath for the next thing Tiger will say or do.  Prejudice is a vague term too, because you are prejudiced in every decision you make in life.  As an example, I'm prejudiced towards playing golf, but I am prejudiced AGAINST tennis.  That doesn't mean I hate tennis, it just means that I spend my time playing golf, and haven't played tennis in 30+ years.

And to basically let this go, I get the comparisons to Tiger and Nicklaus.  I remember following Jack growing up, and watching every tournament he played in.  I still remember the '86 Masters and going nuts when he won it.  It was one of the greatest spectacles in golf that I have ever witnessed.  And I get it that folks want to see Tiger pull of a similar feat, and are hoping he can win another major and more tournaments.

But again, I have nothing against Tiger, either personally or professionally.  And if anything, I've come to admire his humility with his comeback.  I see a different Tiger in interviews now.  He's more appreciative of what he is doing, and he is definitely more humble.  Frankly, when he was steamrolling everyone a decade ago, he was a complete and total ass in interviews.  Now he actually has a pulse, and has a different spirit about him.  Another way of saying this is that I think Tiger has finally grown up.  And that's a good thing.

Archived