TESTERS WANTED! ×

I'm burned out on the Tiger "Worshipers"

Mr. 82

You are right, perhaps all the players you just listed DJ, Phil, Bubba, JS, etc... play better than Tiger as of RIGHT NOW. They are longer, better short game, better putter, you name it...

But they don't have IT. What is IT? It could be different things for different people...

To me personally, it is how he dominated the game, that killer instinct, take-no-prisoners kind of mentality. That kind of focus, drive, determination, whatever... that is required to own the field week after week... I'm sorry, but I don't see any those qualities in any of the current "better" players. Hell... not even Tiger has IT now...

I guess people are just hyping it up and hoping to one day relive his best days. It probably won't happen, but every cut made, weekend in contention, small win or major win is a step closer to witnessing one of the greatest comebacks in sports history.

Not gonna debate about his personal life, but as an athlete, he is the one that made me grab a golf club in first place, pretty much the same way MJ put a basketball in my hands.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a pretty good read by John Feinstein, who over the years has been one of the most outspoken critics of Tiger.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/even-this-tiger-woods-skeptic-admits-the-player-deserves-some-credit

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

To me personally, it is how he dominated the game, that killer instinct, take-no-prisoners kind of mentality. That kind of focus, drive, determination, whatever... that is required to own the field week after week... I'm sorry, but I don't see any those qualities in any of the current "better" players. Hell... not even Tiger has IT now...

I 100% agree with this statement.  There is no player that currently shows up for a tournament and everyone sees him, and they know they are playing for 2nd place.  That was the aura Tiger had when he was destroying golf courses and fields with incredible ease and consistency.

But that factor has only come with 3 or 4 players in the history of golf: Bobby Jones, Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger (you can throw in Hogan if you want, but I haven't read enough on Hogan to put him in this category).  Everyone else who has ever played the game is a footnote to these three guys.  I would call these three the Mount Rushmore of golf.

Frankly, when Rory came out I thought he would do what these three did, and simply dominate golf worldwide.  Sadly, it has not been the case.  Not even close to it.

Most unbelievably impressive stat that Tiger had, above all else was going like 8 years without missing a cut.  I mean, that's just off the charts ridiculously great.  I mean, NO ONE does that.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

reread the title of this thread. The sickness is not at Tiger, but at the people who worship him. I don't believe I've said a negative word against Tiger here honestly. If I did then it's probably out of frustration for those that live and die by ever breath the man takes.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't really want to get into this discussion.  Do I like Tiger; not really.  Do I like watching him play; by all means, when he is playing well.  Do I think he will win again; about as much of a chance as any other good player as long as he stays healthy.  Do I think he will win another major; the jury is still out.  

I agree with the above comment and the topic of this thread.  Of course the media and broadcasters will give Tiger all the coverage they can.  It's revenue and what the people want to see. My problem with Tiger coverage is that the TV coverage can't go an entire tournament that Tiger isn't even playing without some reference to Tiger.  I didn't believe it at first.  I watched golf to see nice golf shots and root for my favorites when they are near the lead.  I didn't pay much attention to the commentators; I can tune them out.  I want to relate this story...

One day, my wife and I were watching a tournament and the GC Golf Central to see the highlights we missed when we were playing golf in the morning.  It was while Tiger was laid up after back surgery and hadn't played all year.  

She said to me: "The producers must throw the talking heads a dog biscuit every time they mention Tiger's name."  

I said:  "What do you mean?"  

"Why else would they mention Tiger's name in a tournament when he's not there?"

I didn't believe her.  Bad mistake.  So then she started saying "biscuit" whenever someone said "Tiger"  

"OK!  OK!  Please stop now!"

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'll take a stab at this.   Because he has IT   Whatever IT is, you know it when you see it.   His 12 year stretch of being the best in the world by miles, is still fresh in most people's memory.   He wasn't just the best player in the world for a short period of time.   He dominated the sport like nobody ever had before...Remember Jack's 18 majors were won over 25 some years. Tiger won 14 in 11 years,   

So, when he has made all his comebacks, people tune in to see if he still has IT.   Just him showing up at a tournament is going draw crowds and thus TV Ratings, because people are watching  to see if he can recapture the magic.  And while it's likely he'll never be as dominant as he was in those 11 years, it's the fact that as Toby Kieth sings..."I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was"   This past weekend was a prime example of that.

To me it's not entirely unlike, seeing Willie Mays play for the New York Mets in 1972 as a 40 year old, obviously he wasn't THE Willie Mays but as a 12 year old kid who missed his prime years, I was excited to see him play.   

As for Dustin, Phil and Bubba...well they all have IT as well.   So that's not really a good comp.   To say Tiger is a side show, is just wrong and shows some sign of some sort of prejudiced agenda.  Do you realize he's 50th in the world right now. That's hardly a side show.   A side show, would be him continuing to have the yips and shanks he was having a year or so ago and continuing to try and play competitive golf with them.

That's a mic drop post right there!

Well. I grew up watching Tiger play, he's the reason I started playing. I am not the one to judge him anyways. That's up to someone else. Simple really.

This is my take, I don't know him and what he does off the course isn't my business. I cheer for tiger the golfer a I do several others that people in general don't care for their personalities. Some of who I've had a change of heart on the last couple years

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

So which definition of "worship" are we talking about here?

1. reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.
  2. formal or ceremonious rendering of such honor and homage:They attended worship this morning.

3. adoring reverence or regard:excessive worship of business success.

4. the object of adoring reverence or regard.

5. (initial capital letter) Britishtitle of honor used in addressing or mentioning certain magistrates andothers of high rank or station (usually preceded by Your, His, or Her).

Tiger is 42 years old.

That means people that *really* saw him play and dominate are at least in their late 30's....at least.

Those are the type I would think would 'worship' him.  

Anyone younger than that would have to had watch highlights and it's hard to worship someone just seeing highlights from old tournaments....

It strikes me as odd that someone that old and mature would "worship" a golfer.  Fans...deep die hard fans...but worship?  That's a bit extreme.

Neither MJ or TW asked for anyone to "worship" them; I'd be willing to bet they'd prefer it the other way.  He's just a guy doing a job....an otherworldly talented guy, but he's just a guy...and, just like you, I'm sure he is 'burned out' on it as well.  Give him a choice between no gallery and huge gallery and it's no secret what he'd pick.

Since we are trying to stick close to the title of the thread I do have a solution/suggestion if you are burned out on it.  Maybe change the channel or don't watch if he's playing?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Dufner won my vote for best personality on tour last year. He's right on par for 2018 too.

attachicon.gifIMG_3519.PNG

A good sleeper pick for the PGA too.

Dufner is golf's version of Jay Cutler...DGAF

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

so you are saying that because people are talking all the time about Tiger in the media and in social media, that that makes him entertaining?

I'm not debating what drives the ratings, I'm simply asking why Tiger drives the ratings, when in his current form, his golf game is as "average" (for a lack of a better relative term) as the next guy on Tour.

If you are not saying "he is the entertainment", then why did you say the reason you watched Tiger for was because he was "entertaining"?

I have nothing against Tiger.  I don't honestly care about Tiger personally, or professionally.  What bothers me, as I titled this thread, are the Tiger Worshippers.  It has nothing to do with Tiger, believe it or not, but all of the ************************************************************

Serious question - can you elaborate on this?  How does Tiger today, right now, stand out more than any other golfer from an entertainment value?

THIS, in and of itself is the one thing that stands out in my mind about all of this madness surrounding him.  What does he do differently from any other golfer on Tour or anywhere else right now that is more "entertaining"?

If anything, I think DJ, or Bubba, or some of the other golfers who far exceed the distance Tiger hits it now, and have better short games around the green, like Mickelson, are far more entertaining.  But in all honestly, Tiger's golf entertainment value right now is but a side show, especially when you consider all of the clowns that follow him around the golf course and scream in the middle of his backswing.  I mean, if that's what you are counting as entertainment value, then I guess so.

Average?? How good do you think average is? He has gone from outside the top 650 in the world to inside the top 50 in 6 months. And that is with playing a limited schedule and having to rehab an injured back. The OWGR is a 2 year rolling average so the fact that he didn't play last year hurts him immensely in these rankings. 

Use a system such as the Sagarin rankings which are more related to current form and Tiger is ranked 8th in the world... 8th... That is higher than Bubba, Rory, Spieth and Rahm. He hasn't played nearly as "average" as you think. Phil's short game is massively overrated right now btw. It's been a weakness of his the majority of this season. Tiger has been much better around the greens than Phil. Phil's current SG around the green is 86th. Tiger's is 4th... 

Tiger is also 6th in total strokes gained this year and 11th in scoring average. There nothing average about either of those. Both of those are elite. Especially considering his slow start at the beginning of the year. Which is understandable due to rust and having to relearn his own golf swing. 

Tiger is entertaining because he is possibly the greatest player to ever touch a golf club. And the fact that he is trying to come back from the depths of irrelevancy to regain what he once was peaks people's interest. He has greatly exceeded my expectations thus far and has to be miles ahead of schedule, even in his own mind. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I 100% agree with this statement.  There is no player that currently shows up for a tournament and everyone sees him, and they know they are playing for 2nd place.  That was the aura Tiger had when he was destroying golf courses and fields with incredible ease and consistency.

But that factor has only come with 3 or 4 players in the history of golf: Bobby Jones, Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger (you can throw in Hogan if you want, but I haven't read enough on Hogan to put him in this category).  Everyone else who has ever played the game is a footnote to these three guys.  I would call these three the Mount Rushmore of golf.

Frankly, when Rory came out I thought he would do what these three did, and simply dominate golf worldwide.  Sadly, it has not been the case.  Not even close to it.

Most unbelievably impressive stat that Tiger had, above all else was going like 8 years without missing a cut.  I mean, that's just off the charts ridiculously great.  I mean, NO ONE does that.

You just explained why the media follows Tiger so closely when he plays, in your own thread  :lol:  :lol:

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Some more answers as to why the media covers Tiger so much.    This is unreal....the highest rated final round of The Open Championship since 2000....oh yeah, in case anybody forgot, that was the year he blew away the field at St. Andrews!    There was no Tiger fatigue that year!

http://adage.com/article/media/woods-puts-a-tiger-nbc-s-tank-british-open-ratings-hit-18-year-high/314363/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter

....I think the people following him all over the course (pretty much impossible to get an 'average' count but I'd bet it is 2x as large as any other gallery) think he can still do things like this.

This was 18 years ago when he was young and limber. He held the US, British and Canadian Open all in one year!

I can't say I blame them though ... who wouldn't want to see something as incredible as this?

the guy was unreal in his day but ... father time & surgery are the toughest competitors... just ask MJ when he came back to play for the Wizards; he had his moments but wasn't dunking from the free throw line.

we all love to watch greatness...that's part of being a sports fan.

if that's 'worship' then count me in as a 'worshiper'.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

This shot of his gallery at the QL Invitational pretty much sums that people still follow him.

Tiger on Tee at QL National.jpg

This shot of his gallery at the QL Invitational pretty much sums that people still follow him.

attachicon.gifTiger on Tee at QL National.jpg

Having been a volunteer at the QL, I can attest that the crowds were larger because of Tiger.

While speculations regarding his tournament results upon his return is interesting, that is not what I am watching in the current chapter of the Tiger saga.   I can't imagine anyone would expect him to return to the days of his prime.   However, I do think that it is reasonable to perceive that his name may routinely be present on the leaderboard.  As a result, he will continue to receive significant, perhaps excessive, media attention, but such is not his fault, its the nature of media. 

So what am I watching, what's holding my attention now--it's the new Tiger, the kinder, gentler Tiger versus the old single minded, killer instinct Tiger.  Beyond pure aging, Tiger and I do have another factor in common.   A couple of years ago, due to health concerns for several months, my doctor's would not allow me back on the golf course.  For a time, I didn't know if I would ever play again.  I can assure that it has a definite impact on one's perspective regarding the game, an increased appreciation for the game and the ability to play the game.   There is little doubt in my mind that Tiger has been similarly impacted.  

I want to watch the relationship Tiger establishes with the class of 2011.   As Chuck Thompson would label "a grand old pro", I want to watch Tiger mentor the up and coming tour professionals.   That Tiger can reflect that in some aspects becoming a champion is easier than being a champion.   And ultimately, that day which is sure to come, when Tiger captains a Ryder Cup team.

Perhaps, when Arnold Palmer passed, we lost the personification of aspects of our game beyond pure playing ability.   I would think that the new Tiger could fill that void.   

I don't really want to get into this discussion.  Do I like Tiger; not really.  Do I like watching him play; by all means, when he is playing well.  Do I think he will win again; about as much of a chance as any other good player as long as he stays healthy.  Do I think he will win another major; the jury is still out.  

I agree with the above comment and the topic of this thread.  Of course the media and broadcasters will give Tiger all the coverage they can.  It's revenue and what the people want to see. My problem with Tiger coverage is that the TV coverage can't go an entire tournament that Tiger isn't even playing without some reference to Tiger.  I didn't believe it at first.  I watched golf to see nice golf shots and root for my favorites when they are near the lead.  I didn't pay much attention to the commentators; I can tune them out.  I want to relate this story...

One day, my wife and I were watching a tournament and the GC Golf Central to see the highlights we missed when we were playing golf in the morning.  It was while Tiger was laid up after back surgery and hadn't played all year.  

She said to me: "The producers must throw the talking heads a dog biscuit every time they mention Tiger's name."  

I said:  "What do you mean?"  

"Why else would they mention Tiger's name in a tournament when he's not there?"

I didn't believe her.  Bad mistake.  So then she started saying "biscuit" whenever someone said "Tiger"  

"OK!  OK!  Please stop now!"

At the US Open, they were still talking about Tiger while he was cruising back down the Atlantic on Saturday aboard "Privacy".  It's this level of single threaded focus that I find obnoxious - regardless of the player.  All of these guys contending on any given weekend deserve equal coverage during the tournament broadcast IMHO.  But, as you stated, it's all about revenue.  So just how did the PGA survive without him?  :)

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

At the US Open, they were still talking about Tiger while he was cruising back down the Atlantic on Saturday aboard "Privacy".  It's this level of single threaded focus that I find obnoxious - regardless of the player.  All of these guys contending on any given weekend deserve equal coverage during the tournament broadcast IMHO.  But, as you stated, it's all about revenue.  So just how did the PGA survive without him?  :)

It survives easily without him. But it thrives with him.

This is more of indication of how broken the coverage is than anything. They only push their narratives and forget about the golf half the time. Example: You basically saw none of Rory's play after the first couple of holes Sunday at the Open except for some "from a moment ago" where he missed putts. Until they finally show the clip of him making eagle on 14.. And even then I had no clue that it was for him to TAKE THE LEAD IN THE DAMN TOURNAMENT. How do you not show any shots from someone who is only 2 back and top 10 in the world?

Golf coverage is terrible. That should be everyone's gripe. They need to show more actual golf. 

Golf coverage is terrible. That should be everyone's gripe. They need to show more actual golf. 

Amen to that.  In this day and age, with all of the internet technology, and the ability to stream multiple channels of video coverage of whatever you want, yet here we are, stuck with a single network force feeding us whatever it is they think we want to watch.

This sole reason alone, is why I love the Masters the most.  In fact, next April I am actually considering taking off work for most of Masters week, just so I can stay home and watch coverage of the Masters on the internet.  Streaming from Amen Corner, Holes 15 & 16, Featured Groups, etc.  I mean, with as traditional and conservative as the Masters is, they have the best website and coverage of their own tournament.

The other majors, for the most part do this type of thing as well, but not as well as the Masters.  If the PGA Tour wasn't so obsessed with making money, they could easily take the lead on technology with video, and offer more than their subscription model pay to watch nothing all day live coverage.  The PGA Tour seems to be resting on it's laurels, and without any serious competition driving innovation, here we are with nothing but excrement coming from the Tour as far as coverage goes.

And frankly, I'm shocked that with the obsession with all things Tiger that we've beat the dead horse over here in this thread, why not create a live streaming channel, that is subscription based of Tiger every time he tees it up.  You could probably make a fortune getting folks to pay $10 a month, or whatever, just to stream Tiger's every move at any tournament he is involved in.  Heck, you could take it a step further and stream Tiger at Pro-Ams, on the range, watch him practice, whatever.  I mean, since we've proven that Tiger has a massive audience, why don't you experiment and see if it translates to viewers on a dedicated streaming channel just for Tiger alone.  I mean, come on.  DUH!

Having been a volunteer at the QL, I can attest that the crowds were larger because of Tiger.

While speculations regarding his tournament results upon his return is interesting, that is not what I am watching in the current chapter of the Tiger saga. I can't imagine anyone would expect him to return to the days of his prime. However, I do think that it is reasonable to perceive that his name may routinely be present on the leaderboard. As a result, he will continue to receive significant, perhaps excessive, media attention, but such is not his fault, its the nature of media.

So what am I watching, what's holding my attention now--it's the new Tiger, the kinder, gentler Tiger versus the old single minded, killer instinct Tiger. Beyond pure aging, Tiger and I do have another factor in common. A couple of years ago, due to health concerns for several months, my doctor's would not allow me back on the golf course. For a time, I didn't know if I would ever play again. I can assure that it has a definite impact on one's perspective regarding the game, an increased appreciation for the game and the ability to play the game. There is little doubt in my mind that Tiger has been similarly impacted.

I want to watch the relationship Tiger establishes with the class of 2011. As Chuck Thompson would label "a grand old pro", I want to watch Tiger mentor the up and coming tour professionals. That Tiger can reflect that in some aspects becoming a champion is easier than being a champion. And ultimately, that day which is sure to come, when Tiger captains a Ryder Cup team.

Perhaps, when Arnold Palmer passed, we lost the personification of aspects of our game beyond pure playing ability. I would think that the new Tiger could fill that void.

Good post wahoo.

Did you end up on the Media committee? If so I'm thinking you must have seen him come and go into the media center for his interviews?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 3 weeks later...

Well, today at Bellerive didn't help.  Gushing love-fest it was. Yuck.  :lol:

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Well, today at Bellerive didn't help. Gushing love-fest it was. Yuck.

Boo

Dislike

He EARNED every roar out there today.

EARNED IT

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Boo

Dislike

He EARNED every roar out there today.

EARNED IT

I don't disagree with the roars and general excitement around him today. He played really well. What bugged me was CBS cutting away from someone starting a swing, just to watch Tiger walk across a bridge. We saw three replays of the 9i on 15 in the first minute of it happening. Was there no other golf being played? I saw it the first time and if I really want to watch it again, I have a DVR. That's the crap that bugs me.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Well, today at Bellerive didn't help. Gushing love-fest it was. Yuck. :lol:

Really? His story this year is the most incredible story in golf in years.

Coming from oblivion just a year ago to have a chance to win the last two majors of the year, call it gushing if you want. But it is deserved.

I don't disagree with the roars and general excitement around him today. He played really well. What bugged me was CBS cutting away from someone starting a swing, just to watch Tiger walk across a bridge. We saw three replays of the 9i on 15 in the first minute of it happening. Was there no other golf being played? I saw it the first time and if I really want to watch it again, I have a DVR. That's the crap that bugs me.

I hear you. But my question would be...did we ultimately miss any shots because of that.

I actually found the scene of him walking across the bridge and acknowledging the fans very good.

It actually answers the original question to this thread. Golf fans still find Tiger more riveting than any other player, so the networks give them what they want ro see.

Cant wait to see todays ratings. Bet its the highest of the PGA in 10 years and maybe highest of any major in 4 or 5 years.

I hear you. But my question would be...did we ultimately miss any shots because of that.

I actually found the scene of him walking across the bridge and acknowledging the fans very good.

It actually answers the original question to this thread. Golf fans still find Tiger more riveting than any other player, so the networks give them what they want ro see.

Cant wait to see todays ratings. Bet its the highest of the PGA in 10 years and maybe highest of any major in 4 or 5 years.

I was actually referring to him crossing the bridge heading to practice green and first tee before his round. They literally cut from someone starting their backswing. You are right about the moment on the bridge after the round. That was pretty cool.

I get it though. They need to pander to the masses and the masses clearly want Tiger. It won't stop me from complaining about missing actual golf shots, though.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I was actually referring to him crossing the bridge heading to practice green and first tee before his round. They literally cut from someone starting their backswing. You are right about the moment on the bridge after the round. That was pretty cool.

I get it though. They need to pander to the masses and the masses clearly want Tiger. It won't stop me from complaining about missing actual golf shots, though.

Oh gotcha. I guess the moment he steps on the grounds all eyes are on him.

Just finished watching Koepka's press conference. What great answers he gave. Said he totally understood all the attention on the course being on Tiger. Said he's a golf fan as well and he'd want to see it. The greatest player to ever play, making a comeback like this.

I liked the coverage of the GOAT player. He is fun to watch. What bugged me was 14 minutes of commercials from 5 to 6 PM.  The PGA is too greedy.

Titleist TS 3 with Fuji Ventus R shaft

Epic Flash 3 & 5 woods

Cally Big Berta 2019 4 hybrid

Cally Apex 2019 5-PW

Cally 48*

Honma TW4 56*

Titleist Volker Raw wedge 60*

Scotty Cameron X5 putter

Oh gotcha. I guess the moment he steps on the grounds all eyes are on him.

Just finished watching Koepka's press conference. What great answers he gave. Said he totally understood all the attention on the course being on Tiger. Said he's a golf fan as well and he'd want to see it. The greatest player to ever play, making a comeback like this.

Actually, I think the best beneficiary of Tiger's attention, in fact, was Brooks Koepka.   He can just worry about his game and not deal with the mob of fans following Tiger, plus it must give him some incentive to play well and actually win.  Also he retains a certain anonymity that must be helpful at times in his personal life.   If I were in a public setting and I saw Tiger, I would recognize him, same for Fowler, Speith, Johnson, Thomas and others.  But I would most likely would not recognize Koepka.  Perhaps, he likes being able to go out with the girl friend and not be mobbed or bothered by fans.

Yes, Tiger's play was great and entertaining, but the thing Tiger did that impressed me the most was that he waited and when Brooks came out from posting his score, he was there to congratulate him and give him a man hug.  That's what I really like about Tiger now, that's why I am going to enjoy watching the New Tiger.

But I would most likely would not recognize Koepka.  Perhaps, he likes being able to go out with the girl friend and not be mobbed or bothered by fans.

I honestly can't tell the difference between Koepka and Chris Pratt, and they are both Michelob Ultra sponsors in the same commercial...

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/ad-meter/2018/02/02/ad-meter-2018-michelob-ultra-part-2/109975594/

I saw that ratings were up 69% this PGA from last year. The highest the ratings have been at a PGA since 2009. Which everyone might remember, is the only time Tiger lost a 54 hole lead in a major.

Comparing that to other majors:

It is higher rated than any British Open going back to 2000 and yall remember what(who) happened there.

It is higher rated than any US Open going back to 2008 and yall remember what(who) happened there.

It's hard to compare anything to the Masters as it is always far and away the highest rated major every year. Usually doubling and tripling the ratings of the PGA. This year however, the PGA is almost comparable to the Masters. Its ratings are slightly lower but there were actually more viewers for the PGA this year. 

It's crazy how Big Cat influences viewership and ratings. 

Archived