TESTERS WANTED! ×

I'm burned out on the Tiger "Worshipers"

Mr. 82

Really? His story this year is the most incredible story in golf in years.

Coming from oblivion just a year ago to have a chance to win the last two majors of the year, call it gushing if you want. But it is deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Tiger over saturation by the media diminishes the experience for me and others.  Obviously it's great for those who root for him but for those who don't it becomes an annoying circus.  I follow and root for a handful of other players and would say the same thing about anyone of them.  Simply put, for me, too much of anything just becomes monotonous. I do root for Tiger in Ryder Cup play - so give me partial credit  :) .

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiger over saturation by the media diminishes the experience for me and others.  Obviously it's great for those who root for him but for those who don't it becomes an annoying circus.  I follow and root for a handful of other players and would say the same thing about anyone of them.  Simply put, for me, too much of anything just becomes monotonous. I do root for Tiger in Ryder Cup play - so give me partial credit  :) .

My sentiments exactly.  Thank you.

And I honestly believe that the media hype that surrounds Tiger only feeds the monster.

Hypothetically, if the media showed nothing but Rickie Fowler day in and day out, and Rickie was on ESPN (a big contributing factor for non-golf fans tuning in IMHO) then I believe the galleries and fans wanting a piece of Rickie would grow to the level we see with Tiger simply showing up and breathing.

I see basketball players and other sports stars all talk about wanting to watch Tiger, but no one else.  Why is that I wonder?  ESPN.  I don't watch hardly anything on ESPN anymore, but I'll be out for lunch at a restaurant and they'll have ESPN on, and the only time they show highlights of golf is when Tiger is on.  I haven't looked at what ESPN did for the PGA yesterday, but I can almost guarantee you that whatever they showed will be at least 90% Tiger.  In fact, without even looking, I bet they showed every shot that Tiger hit in the final round, and a 2 second clip of Brooks hoisting the trophy at the end.  So a 2 minute segment to highlight the final round, and 1 minute and 58 seconds of that was Tiger Woods, even though Brooks won the tournament.

ESPN is losing subscribers left and right (about 150,000 a month the last I checked), for reasons like this.  They don't cover golf, but they have a bias in their coverage to show you only what they want to show you.  And unless Tiger Woods is playing or in the conversation, ESPN won't show anything golf related.  Regardless of the power of ESPN, or how much they may be losing influence, their reach is enormous, especially compared to Golf Channel.  If ESPN showed two crickets racing, people would go nuts over those crickets.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I think it must be remembered that professional golf like all professional sports is a form of entertainment.   Yes, to many avid golfers it is the desire to watch the best of the best play the game and view media attention from that perspective.   But the media is a business and must operate as not only a source to watch the best of the best but as an entertainment vehicle as well.  Once again, Tiger is the star of golf as an entertainment show so to speak and the media must operate from that perspective.   With Tiger in the script of the show, it not only makes it more entertaining for some avid golfers, but it brings back those with only an entertainment perspective as well.

Personally, I must admit that I find the current Tiger show, if you will, rather entertaining myself.   He has a new supporting cast with names such a Koepka, Spieth, Johnson, Thomas and others.   A cast that is not as intimidated as his previous supporting cast.   Additionally, Tiger seems to have a differing relationship with the new cast.  In that context, again I must admit to finding the new show entertaining.   

What is interesting is that he also gets so much attention when he is not playing. This thread and others for example.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

What's great and different about MGS, as opposed to that "other golf forum" I joined and quickly left, is that I can share my views about TW's, and not being a big fan of his, without being singled out and vilified by the site admin and staff. On that site it's really not OK to not support him and/or the medias coverage of him.

Here's to being respectful of varying viewpoints regarding Tiger Woods, muscle back irons, plastic or wood tees, or a host of other topics we like to banter about.

Actually, I think the best beneficiary of Tiger's attention, in fact, was Brooks Koepka.   He can just worry about his game and not deal with the mob of fans following Tiger, plus it must give him some incentive to play well and actually win.  Also he retains a certain anonymity that must be helpful at times in his personal life.   If I were in a public setting and I saw Tiger, I would recognize him, same for Fowler, Speith, Johnson, Thomas and others.  But I would most likely would not recognize Koepka.  Perhaps, he likes being able to go out with the girl friend and not be mobbed or bothered by fans.

Yes, Tiger's play was great and entertaining, but the thing Tiger did that impressed me the most was that he waited and when Brooks came out from posting his score, he was there to congratulate him and give him a man hug.  That's what I really like about Tiger now, that's why I am going to enjoy watching the New Tiger.

Brooks actually told a story of he and DJ out to eat one night and a girl came running up all excited asking fora picture, he was getting ready to stand beside her and smile and she said, "sir would you mind taking the picture"   LOL   I'm sure things like that happen a lot.   But I think it'll start changing now.    It's funny, in a way DJ is much more unassuming.  It' just that he's been around lnger, he has a distinctive walk and gunslinger type approach and of course the very unique swing.    

What's great and different about MGS, as opposed to that "other golf forum" I joined and quickly left, is that I can share my views about TW's, and not being a big fan of his, without being singled out and vilified by the site admin and staff. On that site it's really not OK to not support him and/or the medias coverage of him.

Here's to being respectful of varying viewpoints regarding Tiger Woods, muscle back irons, plastic or wood tees, or a host of other topics we like to banter about.

I'm glad you feel that way, and I hope everyone does.    We don't have to agree with opinions, but we certainly don't need to be condescending or combative in disagreeing with them.  I know I can have strong opinons at times and I try to make sure I catch myself in how I'm expressing those opinions.  Especially as you said as a Moderator we should be held to a higher standard. 

On the subject mentioned earlier that it is only those wanting Tiger to win that want all this coverage.   I was actually fine with Tiger, Brooks, Adam Scott or JT winning yesterday, all would have had a great story behind it.   Sure Tiger might have been the bigger national story but to me Brooks winning his 3rd major in 14 months is a huge story and something we haven't seen in quite a while.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

What's great and different about MGS, as opposed to that "other golf forum" I joined and quickly left, is that I can share my views about TW's, and not being a big fan of his, without being singled out and vilified by the site admin and staff. On that site it's really not OK to not support him and/or the medias coverage of him.

You had me at Tiger Woods, Muscle Back irons, and more importantly “What's great and different about MGS....”

Plastic tees?

Serious question to all of you guys that dislike Tiger:

Have you always disliked him, or is it just now that because certain things about his personal life have come to the surface? Is it because he can't be/isn't the dominant force he once was? Is it because he once was the unstoppable beast he used to be? Why do you dislike him so much?

Not slinging s**t here.... just want to understand the reasoning.

I´m from the other side of the ocean and we don´t have all that TW coverage. I do think that media all love a good comeback story and a Tiger comeback would be just that right? I´m a Tiger fan but i´m also a Rory and Fowler fan, and everything i get to see from them other than the games on Tv it´s what i get from social media and in there, if you´re on to other players they get a very good deal of attention, There are trackers for all the major players on tour.

Can tiger really be back if he hasn't won yet? mj came back and won 3 titles.

MJ had two comebacks. The one after his dads death and won the second three-peat. His 2nd comeback was with the wizards and he didnt win anythig and hi-tailed it out if town as soon as the criticism started.

Tiger has like wise had two comebacks. One from treatment for sexual addiction and he won 5 times in 2013. This is his second comeback and its medical related. And he's already come closer to winning than Jordan did in his 2nd comeback.

Barring any further injury, he'll win a few more and be competitive in many.  Whether the wins are majors is a wee bit lower odds, but I suspect at least one. Even if he never wins another PGA event, there is no question he's back - and I think the same can be said for Michael Jordan.

It's because you're on the best dayuummmmm golf forum on the planet now!  Bar none

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I actually like tiger. I have a buddy that is weirdly

In love and has so much love it makes me Dislike him. Has the same love for Sam Bradford and now I hate the guy. I don't want it to make it sound like i hate tiger because I don't. But it is kind of annoying that brooks really doesn't get the attention and tiger does.

MJ had two comebacks. The one after his dads death and won the second three-peat. His 2nd comeback was with the wizards and he didnt win anythig and hi-tailed it out if town as soon as the criticism started.

Tiger has like wise had two comebacks. One from treatment for sexual addiction and he won 5 times in 2013. This is his second comeback and its medical related. And he's already come closer to winning than Jordan did in his 2nd comeback.

Basketball is a team sport though. Not to discredit MJ -- he's definitely the GOAT in my eyes, but it's not comparable. Also, Tiger is definitely back. The haters are almost completely silent now.

"He'll be lucky to play 72 holes"

"I'd like to see him play a few events in the season"

"How can he compete with the young deep-ball hitters?"

giphy.gif

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I actually like tiger. I have a buddy that is weirdly

In love and has so much love it makes me Dislike him. Has the same love for Sam Bradford and now I hate the guy. I don't want it to make it sound like i hate tiger because I don't. But it is kind of annoying that brooks really doesn't get the attention and tiger does.

But the fact that Brooks doesn't receive more attention, that's on him.

That ice in his veins that makes him a killer on the course also makes him indifferent to the media and fans. He admits he doesn't watch golf and he is not a golf nerd... isn't that a jab at the fans that DO watch him play? To a lot of people it sounds like... your time is way too valuable to waste watching 6 hours of golf on TV, but ours isn't...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

That ice in his veins that makes him a killer on the course also makes him indifferent to the media and fans. He admits he doesn't watch golf and he is not a golf nerd... isn't that a jab at the fans that DO watch him play? To a lot of people it sounds like... your time is way too valuable to waste watching 6 hours of golf on TV, but ours isn't...

Or he likes to do many different things and if he isn't playing he doesn't want to watch so that he gets a break from the game.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Or he likes to do many different things and if he isn't playing he doesn't want to watch so that he gets a break from the game.

Totally possible as well. Even if that was true, it's just hard being passionate about a guy that himself is not passionate about the game.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I have to agree with this.  Maybe he doesn't want to be a rock star, but that's not optimizing his bottom line.

Totally possible as well. Even if that was true, it's just hard being passionate about a guy that himself is not passionate about the game.

I watched his post round sit down interview and what he said there was he doesn't watch golf before his round because it means he is sitting down which isn't good for the body so he would rather be up walking around or in the gym. He stretches for 30 min before his warmup routine on the range and 30 mins for lunch.!do for 2 hours before his round is the only time he would be at the course and there for his tee time on Sunday he would have from the time he woke up til noon to sit around.

So imo he's not comin off like he doesn't care about golf

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I watched his post round sit down interview and what he said there was he doesn't watch golf before his round because it means he is sitting down which isn't good for the body so he would rather be up walking around or in the gym. He stretches for 30 min before his warmup routine on the range and 30 mins for lunch.!do for 2 hours before his round is the only time he would be at the course and there for his tee time on Sunday he would have from the time he woke up til noon to sit around.

So imo he's not comin off like he doesn't care about golf

A little older, but:

“If I could do it over again, I'd play baseball -- 100 percent, no doubt,” Koepka told our Jaime Diaz.

"To be honest, I'm not a big golf nerd,” Koepka continued. “Golf is kind of boring, not much action. I come from a baseball family, and it's in my blood.”

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/he-just-won-the-us-open-but-brooks-koepka-would-rather-be-playing-baseball

A little older, but:

“If I could do it over again, I'd play baseball -- 100 percent, no doubt,” Koepka told our Jaime Diaz.

"To be honest, I'm not a big golf nerd,” Koepka continued. “Golf is kind of boring, not much action. I come from a baseball family, and it's in my blood.”

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/he-just-won-the-us-open-but-brooks-koepka-would-rather-be-playing-baseball

That must be very old. As he said in his post round interview that he's a huge golf fan and watched all of the Masters while he was injured. And said something to the affect that it would have been fun to watch Tiger on Sunday.

A little older, but:

There are a many golfers who think golf is boring to watch or certain tournaments are too and/or certain leaderboards when big names aren't in the mix.

I don't take either his comments as negative to him/his brand or the game of golf. But again whether it's arrogabce or not I don't care if he cares whether people like him or not. I know some that have interviewed him and say he's a good and genuine guy.

That must be very old. As he said in his post round interview that he's a huge golf fan and watched all of the Masters while he was injured. And said something to the affect that it would have been fun to watch Tiger on Sunday.

If I am not mistaken, it was just last year after he won the US Open.

I'm not debating whether his comment is right or wrong... or if golf is actually boring... to each his own.

I'm just putting it out there for those who wonder why some players (not necessarily Tiger) get more media or fan attention.

Serious question to all of you guys that dislike Tiger:

Have you always disliked him, or is it just now that because certain things about his personal life have come to the surface? Is it because he can't be/isn't the dominant force he once was? Is it because he once was the unstoppable beast he used to be? Why do you dislike him so much?

Not slinging s**t here.... just want to understand the reasoning.

Since no one has responded directly, I'll give you my take. First, I don't really dislike him. I consider myself generally ambivalent about him, even though we have been "witnessing history" through much of his career. I generally do not give a rip about their personal lives. It's really none of my business. I liken him to Michael Jordan and the media hype that surrounded him. I've always developed ambivalence/dislike for athletes or teams when any one (the media) tries to tell me who I should watch or who is important - unfortunately, they are in control of the feed. Perhaps some of the attitude comes from growing up near Portland, OR when the Blazers were at their best but got no respect because a) they were a small-market, west coast team and B) Michael Jordan might have sneezed that day, which garnered all the press. I suppose the theme is "over exposure".

To me, it's the same with Tiger. If he is playing well and in the mix, I don't mind seeing his every shot - that's the benefit of being among the leaders. I don't like it when he is 12 shots back, but they still show his every move, shot, discussion with his caddie, etc. In those cases, his performance does not justify the coverage. I'd rather see some good golf from others then watch Tiger stand there. As I stated somewhere else, I get that Tiger moves the needle, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

My current favorite for the past couple years has been DJ - I love watching him when he is "on" with his effortless style and nonchalance. I don't complain about him not being covered when he isn't doing well (although I feel at times he may deserve a bit more coverage by virtue of being world #1). I just wish he had the ability or desire (or whatever is "missing") to really take control of a golf tournament when it really mattered - like Tiger has done and like Spieth did at The Open last year.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I have to agree with this.  Maybe he doesn't want to be a rock star, but that's not optimizing his bottom line.

I can understand that in order to retain some semblance of a private life, perhaps, he doesn't want to be the rock star.    In a sense, he's trading personal privacy over increased endorsement income.   To date this year, he has grossed $6,412,792 on the course.   With that income just from playing, I would think he could live a pretty good life and a rather private one.   Heck, if I had made the kind of money that Jordan Spieth made in 2015, my future income would be totally from investments and remaining endorsements. I would be living the life with a really attractive lady .   

If I am not mistaken, it was just last year after he won the US Open.

I'm not debating whether his comment is right or wrong... or if golf is actually boring... to each his own.

I'm just putting it out there for those who wonder why some players (not necessarily Tiger) get more media or fan attention.

Onboard with you. Some just don't want it like brooks. I think part of it is the media. Some players get dubbed “the next whoever” or in tigers case because of his ethnic makeup and his skill and amateur plus the effect he had on golf early got the attention then earned it and whether he wanted it or not it was going to be about him. Brooks also took the euro route so he has been an unknown to most fans and until this year dudhtvdo anything for the media to try and pump him up to the fans, that may change now and whether brooks wants it or not might get it regardless. Not to mention Nike never reallly markets him with Rory, Tiger and Wie in their stable

Since no one has responded directly, I'll give you my take. First, I don't really dislike him. I consider myself generally ambivalent about him, even though we have been "witnessing history" through much of his career. I generally do not give a rip about their personal lives. It's really none of my business. I liken him to Michael Jordan and the media hype that surrounded him. I've always developed ambivalence/dislike for athletes or teams when any one (the media) tries to tell me who I should watch or who is important - unfortunately, they are in control of the feed. Perhaps some of the attitude comes from growing up near Portland, OR when the Blazers were at their best but got no respect because a) they were a small-market, west coast team and B) Michael Jordan might have sneezed that day, which garnered all the press. I suppose the theme is "over exposure".

To me, it's the same with Tiger. If he is playing well and in the mix, I don't mind seeing his every shot - that's the benefit of being among the leaders. I don't like it when he is 12 shots back, but they still show his every move, shot, discussion with his caddie, etc. In those cases, his performance does not justify the coverage. I'd rather see some good golf from others then watch Tiger stand there. As I stated somewhere else, I get that Tiger moves the needle, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

My current favorite for the past couple years has been DJ - I love watching him when he is "on" with his effortless style and nonchalance. I don't complain about him not being covered when he isn't doing well (although I feel at times he may deserve a bit more coverage by virtue of being world #1). I just wish he had the ability or desire (or whatever is "missing") to really take control of a golf tournament when it really mattered - like Tiger has done and like Spieth did at The Open last year.

I'm with you on the DJ comment and the lack of coverage.  it seems if he's not leading, in some tourney's they forget he's even playing.  There was a time I think during Thursday's round that he was a shot out of the lead and seems like we went two holes without seeing a shot of his.  

And for the record, I have no arguments with the reasoning, that showing EVERY shot of Tiger when he's more than 10 shots back is too much.  A couple shots here and there, but it doesn't need to be every shot. 

Archived