Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
GSwag

I'm burned out on the Tiger "Worshipers"

I have nothing against Tiger Woods other than I've just never been a fan that pulls for him in tournaments (outside Ryder Cup).  I like a handful of his competitors better and that's who I root for.  What really spoiled me on TW's was the absolute slobbering drool-fest by the media during his peak years. It was Tiger 24/7/365 which, to those of us who are not his adherent fan base, is off-putting. 

As someone has already pointed out, to look at this morning's news clips, one would think Tiger had won the Quicken Loans event.  "Molinari wins" was 3 pages deep for hell sake; darn near in the obituaries. The same thing with Webb Simson's win at the Players Championship and Koepka's win at the U.S. Open (with Tiger cruising back down the Atlantic coast aboard Privacy having missed the cut).

Yes, TW's is a greatest player in the modern era.  Yes, he has brought along with him a huge impact to the sport; especially with rejuvenating interest with younger folks during a period that the sport was somewhat stagnant if not losing interest.  Yes, it's both amazing and exciting to see him come back to tour play when many wondered if that was ever going to happen.  But a modicum of balance from the media would sure be nice... just saying.

• Like 2

Imo fox covers golf the best of that group when it comes to showing more golf. Not a lot of the fluff pieces or cutaways to the studio/desk guys.

I 100% agree. People's hatred for their coverage makes very little sense to me. NBC seems to be the second best and CBS runs purely off narratives, tap ins and the occasional shot "from a moment ago."  :D

Although all of them could get better and do a better job of showing more golf. 

He is a big draw to the game for hard core fans and casual fans alike, which is why he is covered so much. I get the able your coming from because it does sometimes detract from the very talented young golfers who were getting covered while tiger was injured but it's just like LeBron for basketball or Tom Brady for football. Whether you like them or hate them, they attract people to the game. Plus if you're a hardcore fan you can find plenty of coverage of the great field of young golfers who are the present and future of the game

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I 100% agree. People's hatred for their coverage makes very little sense to me. NBC seems to be the second best and CBS runs purely off narratives, tap ins and the occasional shot "from a moment ago." :D

My only complaint about fox revolves around Joe Buck.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I 100% agree. People's hatred for their coverage makes very little sense to me. NBC seems to be the second best and CBS runs purely off narratives, tap ins and the occasional shot "from a moment ago." :D

Imo fox has the best announce crew top to bottom outside of holly (great to look at, terrible at interviews) and their use of technology and the amount of actual golf I much prefer them. Now that feherty is gone from cbs I have no one on that side I like. NBC/golf channel has a bunch of good tools but they aren't on tv at the same time. Give me duval over Miller, steve sands or savarikas in the booth with him. Oberholser and Maliby on the course with feherty whenever

• Like 1

Tiger certainly moves the needle in terms of attendance and TV ratings, but it appears he doesn't really move the needle in terms of sales and profitability. Bridgestone's  problems after signing Tiger, Nike's exit from the equipment side of golf demonstrate a disparity between Tiger's popularity and the impact he has on bottom lines.

Rhetorical question, Are a large proportion of Tiger fans not really golfers?  

I'm a fan of golf, and would much prefer to watch golf shots played (by anyone) than anyone (not just Tiger) walk a fairway or be huddled with their caddy for several minutes. Show every shot Tiger plays by all means, but I don't think anyone will turn off if you show less walking and more golf.

With TV technology now days, the networks could probably broadcast a "Press Red for Tiger" channel that shows nothing but Tiger for his entire round, which would keep everyone happy. Watch that if you want to see Tiger walk, stand around etc, and the main channel for golf, including Tiger proportionally and appropriate to where he is on the leaderboard.

• Like 2

I used to feel that way about Buck until I listened to him on the BS podcast. Now he's ok in my book.

BS podcast? I've heard Buck on a couple of podcasts as well and I can tell that it means a lot to him to do a good job. He doesn't always do the best but he's trying to improve. Which is more than I can say for most of the others in golf. 

• Like 1

BS podcast? I've heard Buck on a couple of podcasts as well and I can tell that it means a lot to him to do a good job. He doesn't always do the best but he's trying to improve. Which is more than I can say for most of the others in golf.

Bill Simmons

Maybe that's part of my issue with him. He's trying too hard sometimes. My current favorite, and I don't even know his name, is the guy that does the European tour. I love that he does not always feel the need to fill air. Sometimes silence is a good thing, imo.

• Like 1

Maybe that's part of my issue with him. He's trying too hard sometimes. My current favorite, and I don't even know his name, is the guy that does the European tour. I love that he does not always feel the need to fill air. Sometimes silence is a good thing, imo.

Prolly so. And I think I know which one you mean.

What is the BS podcast btw?

• Like 1

I have nothing against Tiger Woods other than I've just never been a fan that pulls for him in tournaments (outside Ryder Cup).  I like a handful of his competitors better and that's who I root for.  What really spoiled me on TW's was the absolute slobbering drool-fest by the media during his peak years. It was Tiger 24/7/365 which, to those of us who are not his adherent fan base, is off-putting. 

As someone has already pointed out, to look at this morning's news clips, one would think Tiger had won the Quicken Loans event.  "Molinari wins" was 3 pages deep for hell sake; darn near in the obituaries. The same thing with Webb Simson's win at the Players Championship and Koepka's win at the U.S. Open (with Tiger cruising back down the Atlantic coast aboard Privacy having missed the cut).

Yes, TW's is a greatest player in the modern era.  Yes, he has brought along with him a huge impact to the sport; especially with rejuvenating interest with younger folks during a period that the sport was somewhat stagnant if not losing interest.  Yes, it's both amazing and exciting to see him come back to tour play when many wondered if that was ever going to happen.  But a modicum of balance from the media would sure be nice... just saying.

This x 1,000! Can I be your best friend??

• Like 2

This x 1,000! Can I be your best friend??

How many people 1) Care about Webb Simpson winning one event on tour this year 2) same for Molinari 3) how many know either of them or care to know about either of them 4) media whether print, tv, digital care about $$$ talking about tiger, his play, the success of this comeback draws more readers/viewers and thus $$$ so that's what they are going to focus on

If it was DJ, Spieth, Rahm(to an extent) Fowler or Rory and agree others then them getting buried over tiger coversgecmakes sense.

• Like 1

I usually don't bother with the Tiger stuff anymore, but...................

I get that some people are tired of him/the coverage given to him. No, he will never be what he once was.... but neither will any of us. He's had knee surgeries, shoulder surgery, Back surgeries, and he's ranked 67th in world, so far, in his come back bid!

That's pretty damned good for a 42 year old player that's had to deal with all that.... and the personal stuff that is no ones business, that, unfortunately we all know about thanks to social media and the dishonest media in general.

Tiger has done wonders for the game of golf.... no matter how you feel about him.

Of course the media is going to cover him! Do you really think they won't!? If Jack were to tee it up on senior tour right now, who do you think the cameras would be on, regardless of who was winning or playing lights out? 

I just don't understand the hate directed towards a guy that was/is one of the greatest player ever, no matter if he can/will win again. 

I'm done with the Tiger haters. I'm rooting for him no matter what anyone else thinks. And no.... I'm not a Tiger worshiper. I just know what he means to the game and the things he's accomplished... just the same as Jack, Arnie, Gary, Seve and a number of other players that have entertained us over the years with phenomenal shots and play.

I'm a big Jason Day fan, if anyone was wondering who favorite player is... and John Daly... another player that seems to garner bad press and wishes from a large contingent.

Just enjoy the game!

• Like 3

How many people 1) Care about Webb Simpson winning one event on tour this year 2) same for Molinari 3) how many know either of them or care to know about either of them 4) media whether print, tv, digital care about $$$ talking about tiger, his play, the success of this comeback draws more readers/viewers and thus $$$ so that's what they are going to focus on

If it was DJ, Spieth, Rahm(to an extent) Fowler or Rory and agree others then them getting buried over tiger coversgecmakes sense.

I'll raise my hand for Webb Simpson and Molinari. 

I completely understand the coverage and am not complaining.  Tiger is just good for golf.  To make a reference to the World Cup and seeing Cristiano Ronaldo (immortal sports status) take over the first game against Spain, it made me realize that we aren't going to have guys around that can make you ask, "how did he just do that?" forever.  I will take the Tiger coverage while he is still competitive and enjoy 320 yard drives and stinger 2 irons.  However, we may have to wait for his replacement before he has a good day on the green.