GSwag

I'm burned out on the Tiger "Worshipers"

Even though you aren't his close family or friends, how do you root for that? Some people hate on Poulter and Bubba because they don't like them as a person. How is it any different with Tiger? Just because he is a great athlete he should get a free pass? Say Lebron James did some "stupid stuff"; should he get a free pass? Does talent outweigh personality?

I won't argue that he is great for the sport and golf in general though.

I know I may be in the minority here.

Well. I grew up watching Tiger play, he's the reason I started playing. I am not the one to judge him anyways. That's up to someone else. Simple really.

• Like 2

Well. I grew up watching Tiger play, he's the reason I started playing. I am not the one to judge him anyways. That's up to someone else. Simple really.

You're right. It isn't up to me to judge. He is a really great player and for the game of golf I hope he does well again. He also does some great charity work and for that I respect him. I hope and think he learned his lesson and seems to be a better person having gone through what he went through.
  • Like 1

You're right. It isn't up to me to judge. He is a really great player and for the game of golf I hope he does well again. He also does some great charity work and for that I respect him. I hope and think he learned his lesson and seems to be a better person having gone through what he went through.

It's all good. I don't expect everyone to like him. Trust me, he isn't a role model I'd tell my kids to model themselves after, but he brings the entertainment factor to golf.

• Like 3

It's all good. I don't expect everyone to like him. Trust me, he isn't a role model I'd tell my kids to model themselves after, but he brings the entertainment factor to golf.

There could not be a truer statement than that.
  • Like 1

but he brings the entertainment factor to golf.

Serious question - can you elaborate on this?  How does Tiger today, right now, stand out more than any other golfer from an entertainment value?

THIS, in and of itself is the one thing that stands out in my mind about all of this madness surrounding him.  What does he do differently from any other golfer on Tour or anywhere else right now that is more "entertaining"?

If anything, I think DJ, or Bubba, or some of the other golfers who far exceed the distance Tiger hits it now, and have better short games around the green, like Mickelson, are far more entertaining.  But in all honestly, Tiger's golf entertainment value right now is but a side show, especially when you consider all of the clowns that follow him around the golf course and scream in the middle of his backswing.  I mean, if that's what you are counting as entertainment value, then I guess so.

• Like 1

Serious question - can you elaborate on this? How does Tiger today, right now, stand out more than any other golfer from an entertainment value?

THIS, in and of itself is the one thing that stands out in my mind about all of this madness surrounding him. What does he do differently from any other golfer on Tour or anywhere else right now that is more "entertaining"?

If anything, I think DJ, or Bubba, or some of the other golfers who far exceed the distance Tiger hits it now, and have better short games around the green, like Mickelson, are far more entertaining. But in all honestly, Tiger's golf entertainment value right now is but a side show, especially when you consider all of the clowns that follow him around the golf course and scream in the middle of his backswing. I mean, if that's what you are counting as entertainment value, then I guess so.

Just read the news, Twitter, facebook... it's all right there man.

You'd have to be crazy to think the rating for The Open would have been what they were without Tiger there....

I'm not saying he is the entertainment. I'd rather watch Bubba for crazy stuff.

We get it you don't like Tiger, and that's fine. Chill out a bit.

• Like 2

Serious question - can you elaborate on this?  How does Tiger today, right now, stand out more than any other golfer from an entertainment value?

THIS, in and of itself is the one thing that stands out in my mind about all of this madness surrounding him.  What does he do differently from any other golfer on Tour or anywhere else right now that is more "entertaining"?

If anything, I think DJ, or Bubba, or some of the other golfers who far exceed the distance Tiger hits it now, and have better short games around the green, like Mickelson, are far more entertaining.  But in all honestly, Tiger's golf entertainment value right now is but a side show, especially when you consider all of the clowns that follow him around the golf course and scream in the middle of his backswing.  I mean, if that's what you are counting as entertainment value, then I guess so.

I'll take a stab at this.   Because he has IT   Whatever IT is, you know it when you see it.   His 12 year stretch of being the best in the world by miles, is still fresh in most people's memory.   He wasn't just the best player in the world for a short period of time.   He dominated the sport like nobody ever had before...Remember Jack's 18 majors were won over 25 some years. Tiger won 14 in 11 years,   

So, when he has made all his comebacks, people tune in to see if he still has IT.   Just him showing up at a tournament is going draw crowds and thus TV Ratings, because people are watching  to see if he can recapture the magic.  And while it's likely he'll never be as dominant as he was in those 11 years, it's the fact that as Toby Kieth sings..."I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was"   This past weekend was a prime example of that.

To me it's not entirely unlike, seeing Willie Mays play for the New York Mets in 1972 as a 40 year old, obviously he wasn't THE Willie Mays but as a 12 year old kid who missed his prime years, I was excited to see him play.   

As for Dustin, Phil and Bubba...well they all have IT as well.   So that's not really a good comp.   To say Tiger is a side show, is just wrong and shows some sign of some sort of prejudiced agenda.  Do you realize he's 50th in the world right now. That's hardly a side show.   A side show, would be him continuing to have the yips and shanks he was having a year or so ago and continuing to try and play competitive golf with them. 

• Like 3

Just read the news, Twitter, facebook... it's all right there man.

You'd have to be crazy to think the rating for The Open would have been what they were without Tiger there....

I'm not saying he is the entertainment. I'd rather watch Bubba for crazy stuff.

We get it you don't like Tiger, and that's fine. Chill out a bit.

so you are saying that because people are talking all the time about Tiger in the media and in social media, that that makes him entertaining?

I'm not debating what drives the ratings, I'm simply asking why Tiger drives the ratings, when in his current form, his golf game is as "average" (for a lack of a better relative term) as the next guy on Tour.

If you are not saying "he is the entertainment", then why did you say the reason you watched Tiger for was because he was "entertaining"?

I have nothing against Tiger.  I don't honestly care about Tiger personally, or professionally.  What bothers me, as I titled this thread, are the Tiger Worshippers.  It has nothing to do with Tiger, believe it or not, but all of the ************************************************************

• Like 1

so you are saying that because people are talking all the time about Tiger in the media and in social media, that that makes him entertaining?

I'm not debating what drives the ratings, I'm simply asking why Tiger drives the ratings, when in his current form, his golf game is as "average" (for a lack of a better relative term) as the next guy on Tour.

If you are not saying "he is the entertainment", then why did you say the reason you watched Tiger for was because he was "entertaining"?

I have nothing against Tiger.  I don't honestly care about Tiger personally, or professionally.  What bothers me, as I titled this thread, are the Tiger Worshippers.  It has nothing to do with Tiger, believe it or not, but all of the **************************************************

Let's watch our language please

To say Tiger is a side show, is just wrong and shows some sign of some sort of prejudiced agenda.  Do you realize he's 50th in the world right now. That's hardly a side show.   A side show, would be him continuing to have the yips and shanks he was having a year or so ago and continuing to try and play competitive golf with them. 

Not what I said. I said, "Tiger's golf entertainment value right now is but a side show".

His game is "average" for a Tour pro right now.  Compare his game to any other Tour pro.  He's average in my mind.

Honestly, what is a prejudiced agenda is the media coverage of Tiger, and the throngs of worshippers waiting on baited breath for the next thing Tiger will say or do.  Prejudice is a vague term too, because you are prejudiced in every decision you make in life.  As an example, I'm prejudiced towards playing golf, but I am prejudiced AGAINST tennis.  That doesn't mean I hate tennis, it just means that I spend my time playing golf, and haven't played tennis in 30+ years.

And to basically let this go, I get the comparisons to Tiger and Nicklaus.  I remember following Jack growing up, and watching every tournament he played in.  I still remember the '86 Masters and going nuts when he won it.  It was one of the greatest spectacles in golf that I have ever witnessed.  And I get it that folks want to see Tiger pull of a similar feat, and are hoping he can win another major and more tournaments.

But again, I have nothing against Tiger, either personally or professionally.  And if anything, I've come to admire his humility with his comeback.  I see a different Tiger in interviews now.  He's more appreciative of what he is doing, and he is definitely more humble.  Frankly, when he was steamrolling everyone a decade ago, he was a complete and total ass in interviews.  Now he actually has a pulse, and has a different spirit about him.  Another way of saying this is that I think Tiger has finally grown up.  And that's a good thing.

You are right, perhaps all the players you just listed DJ, Phil, Bubba, JS, etc... play better than Tiger as of RIGHT NOW. They are longer, better short game, better putter, you name it...

But they don't have IT. What is IT? It could be different things for different people...

To me personally, it is how he dominated the game, that killer instinct, take-no-prisoners kind of mentality. That kind of focus, drive, determination, whatever... that is required to own the field week after week... I'm sorry, but I don't see any those qualities in any of the current "better" players. Hell... not even Tiger has IT now...

I guess people are just hyping it up and hoping to one day relive his best days. It probably won't happen, but every cut made, weekend in contention, small win or major win is a step closer to witnessing one of the greatest comebacks in sports history.

Not gonna debate about his personal life, but as an athlete, he is the one that made me grab a golf club in first place, pretty much the same way MJ put a basketball in my hands.

• Like 3

Here's a pretty good read by John Feinstein, who over the years has been one of the most outspoken critics of Tiger.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/even-this-tiger-woods-skeptic-admits-the-player-deserves-some-credit

To me personally, it is how he dominated the game, that killer instinct, take-no-prisoners kind of mentality. That kind of focus, drive, determination, whatever... that is required to own the field week after week... I'm sorry, but I don't see any those qualities in any of the current "better" players. Hell... not even Tiger has IT now...

I 100% agree with this statement.  There is no player that currently shows up for a tournament and everyone sees him, and they know they are playing for 2nd place.  That was the aura Tiger had when he was destroying golf courses and fields with incredible ease and consistency.

But that factor has only come with 3 or 4 players in the history of golf: Bobby Jones, Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger (you can throw in Hogan if you want, but I haven't read enough on Hogan to put him in this category).  Everyone else who has ever played the game is a footnote to these three guys.  I would call these three the Mount Rushmore of golf.

Frankly, when Rory came out I thought he would do what these three did, and simply dominate golf worldwide.  Sadly, it has not been the case.  Not even close to it.

Most unbelievably impressive stat that Tiger had, above all else was going like 8 years without missing a cut.  I mean, that's just off the charts ridiculously great.  I mean, NO ONE does that.

• Like 1

reread the title of this thread. The sickness is not at Tiger, but at the people who worship him. I don't believe I've said a negative word against Tiger here honestly. If I did then it's probably out of frustration for those that live and die by ever breath the man takes.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't really want to get into this discussion.  Do I like Tiger; not really.  Do I like watching him play; by all means, when he is playing well.  Do I think he will win again; about as much of a chance as any other good player as long as he stays healthy.  Do I think he will win another major; the jury is still out.  

I agree with the above comment and the topic of this thread.  Of course the media and broadcasters will give Tiger all the coverage they can.  It's revenue and what the people want to see. My problem with Tiger coverage is that the TV coverage can't go an entire tournament that Tiger isn't even playing without some reference to Tiger.  I didn't believe it at first.  I watched golf to see nice golf shots and root for my favorites when they are near the lead.  I didn't pay much attention to the commentators; I can tune them out.  I want to relate this story...

One day, my wife and I were watching a tournament and the GC Golf Central to see the highlights we missed when we were playing golf in the morning.  It was while Tiger was laid up after back surgery and hadn't played all year.  

She said to me: "The producers must throw the talking heads a dog biscuit every time they mention Tiger's name."  

I said:  "What do you mean?"  

"Why else would they mention Tiger's name in a tournament when he's not there?"

I didn't believe her.  Bad mistake.  So then she started saying "biscuit" whenever someone said "Tiger"  

"OK!  OK!  Please stop now!"

• Like 2

I'll take a stab at this.   Because he has IT   Whatever IT is, you know it when you see it.   His 12 year stretch of being the best in the world by miles, is still fresh in most people's memory.   He wasn't just the best player in the world for a short period of time.   He dominated the sport like nobody ever had before...Remember Jack's 18 majors were won over 25 some years. Tiger won 14 in 11 years,   

So, when he has made all his comebacks, people tune in to see if he still has IT.   Just him showing up at a tournament is going draw crowds and thus TV Ratings, because people are watching  to see if he can recapture the magic.  And while it's likely he'll never be as dominant as he was in those 11 years, it's the fact that as Toby Kieth sings..."I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was"   This past weekend was a prime example of that.

To me it's not entirely unlike, seeing Willie Mays play for the New York Mets in 1972 as a 40 year old, obviously he wasn't THE Willie Mays but as a 12 year old kid who missed his prime years, I was excited to see him play.   

As for Dustin, Phil and Bubba...well they all have IT as well.   So that's not really a good comp.   To say Tiger is a side show, is just wrong and shows some sign of some sort of prejudiced agenda.  Do you realize he's 50th in the world right now. That's hardly a side show.   A side show, would be him continuing to have the yips and shanks he was having a year or so ago and continuing to try and play competitive golf with them.

That's a mic drop post right there!

• Like 1

This is my take, I don't know him and what he does off the course isn't my business. I cheer for tiger the golfer a I do several others that people in general don't care for their personalities. Some of who I've had a change of heart on the last couple years

• Like 4

Just wait till he is on the Champions Tour and Wins and Wins and Wins...

He will win the Champions Tour Grand Slam in his first year, and there will be more coverage of that.

• Like 1

So which definition of "worship" are we talking about here?

1. reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.
  2. formal or ceremonious rendering of such honor and homage:They attended worship this morning.

3. adoring reverence or regard:excessive worship of business success.

4. the object of adoring reverence or regard.

5. (initial capital letter) Britishtitle of honor used in addressing or mentioning certain magistrates andothers of high rank or station (usually preceded by Your, His, or Her).

Tiger is 42 years old.

That means people that *really* saw him play and dominate are at least in their late 30's....at least.

Those are the type I would think would 'worship' him.  

Anyone younger than that would have to had watch highlights and it's hard to worship someone just seeing highlights from old tournaments....

It strikes me as odd that someone that old and mature would "worship" a golfer.  Fans...deep die hard fans...but worship?  That's a bit extreme.

Neither MJ or TW asked for anyone to "worship" them; I'd be willing to bet they'd prefer it the other way.  He's just a guy doing a job....an otherworldly talented guy, but he's just a guy...and, just like you, I'm sure he is 'burned out' on it as well.  Give him a choice between no gallery and huge gallery and it's no secret what he'd pick.

Since we are trying to stick close to the title of the thread I do have a solution/suggestion if you are burned out on it.  Maybe change the channel or don't watch if he's playing?

• Like 3

Dufner won my vote for best personality on tour last year. He's right on par for 2018 too.

attachicon.gifIMG_3519.PNG

A good sleeper pick for the PGA too.

Dufner is golf's version of Jay Cutler...DGAF

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have nothing against Tiger.  I don't honestly care about Tiger personally, or professionally.  What bothers me, as I titled this thread, are the Tiger Worshippers.  It has nothing to do with Tiger, believe it or not, but all of the ************************************************************

Average?? How good do you think average is? He has gone from outside the top 650 in the world to inside the top 50 in 6 months. And that is with playing a limited schedule and having to rehab an injured back. The OWGR is a 2 year rolling average so the fact that he didn't play last year hurts him immensely in these rankings. 

Use a system such as the Sagarin rankings which are more related to current form and Tiger is ranked 8th in the world... 8th... That is higher than Bubba, Rory, Spieth and Rahm. He hasn't played nearly as "average" as you think. Phil's short game is massively overrated right now btw. It's been a weakness of his the majority of this season. Tiger has been much better around the greens than Phil. Phil's current SG around the green is 86th. Tiger's is 4th... 

Tiger is also 6th in total strokes gained this year and 11th in scoring average. There nothing average about either of those. Both of those are elite. Especially considering his slow start at the beginning of the year. Which is understandable due to rust and having to relearn his own golf swing. 

Tiger is entertaining because he is possibly the greatest player to ever touch a golf club. And the fact that he is trying to come back from the depths of irrelevancy to regain what he once was peaks people's interest. He has greatly exceeded my expectations thus far and has to be miles ahead of schedule, even in his own mind. 

• Like 5