GSwag

I'm burned out on the Tiger "Worshipers"

Brooks Koepka won the Wanamaker Trophy a couple of weeks ago.

Tiger Woods last won it eleven years ago.

Take your Silverado for an oil change and ask the mechanic what he thinks of Brooks Koepka.

The money is with the crossover celebs, not the players that only golf fans know.

As long as there's a remote chance that Mr. Woods can be competitive, the cameras will be on him.

You're only pointing out the obvious.  We all know why the cameras are on Tiger and that is where the money is but as more diehard golf fans we'd like to see more golf and less celebrity/history. 

• Like 1

Although I don't have any animosity towards the media or the fans that worship Tiger, I do relish the day, a year or two from now hopefully, when they finally realize that Tiger isn't going to win another major anytime soon and he becomes more of a side dish than the main event at every single tournament.  It might be great for golf if he does win a major but horrible for golf coverage if he does IMO.  If he wins one at any time in the next few years it'll be non-stop Tiger coverage at every tournament even worse than it is now.   In truth I'd love to see Bryson begin to dominate the tour if only because, by far, he is the one carving his own path through the golf world and doing it his own way.  

He's finished top 6 in the last 2 majors, including a 2nd... Yea he's got no chance to win a major anytime soon  :huh: 

He's a top 10 player in the world right now. The OWGR don't reflect that because they take last year into account.

• Like 1

Did you hear about the guy when asked about Tiger Woods replied:   I don't know, I've never played it.

• Like 3

He's finished top 6 in the last 2 majors, including a 2nd... Yea he's got no chance to win a major anytime soon  :huh: 

He's a top 10 player in the world right now. The OWGR don't reflect that because they take last year into account.

Top 6 =/= victory.  Pretty much all of the legends had top tens in major's into or even well into their 40's. But victories are very rare once you cross that 40 threshold.  I'd guess 15 or 20 in the last 50 or 60 years have won at Tiger's age or older.  That would be 1 in 10 or 15 majors or one every 3 or 4 years.   Fields are much deeper these days as well. Tiger has chance no doubt, he is second GOAT, but the odds are stacked against him. 

I was never a real Tiger fan.  I appreciated the magic he pulled off on the course, but it just felt too easy to route for such a favorite.

All this anti-Tiger stuff has turned me into a Tiger fan.  I can usually find more productive things to do on a weekend than watch full golf coverage, but I have been glued to the tv the last few majors.  Holy crap do I want to see him pull off a couple more majors right now.  The insanity that would result?  Sounds like a blast to me.

I know a ton of people live and breathe with everything that Tiger Woods says and does, but honestly, it's a huge turn off for me from the real golf going on.  It's become a circus sideshow honestly to everything else.  It detracts from the other golfers to the point where J.J. Spaun is lighting it up on Thursday or Friday, and he was the group behind Tiger, and in answering a question from the media, he tells them that he didn't even have a gallery because everyone was following Tiger.

And this would be the reason that you see Tiger coverage on TV and not JJ Spawn coverage.  The media didn't force them to be there.  

• Like 1

Serious question to all of you guys that dislike Tiger:

Have you always disliked him, or is it just now that because certain things about his personal life have come to the surface? Is it because he can't be/isn't the dominant force he once was? Is it because he once was the unstoppable beast he used to be? Why do you dislike him so much?

Not slinging s**t here.... just want to understand the reasoning.

Simple answer is, I have never liked him. I always thought he was just a jerk. (Still do). I understand the media love, I don't like it, but I understand. It's about the almighty dollar. It's not about golf at all. He makes them money, they show him. I just want to see Golf, if he is playing well show him, but show other contenders as well.

• Like 4

Simple answer is, I have never liked him. I always thought he was just a jerk. (Still do). I understand the media love, I don't like it, but I understand. It's about the almighty dollar. It's not about golf at all. He makes them money, they show him. I just want to see Golf, if he is playing well show him, but show other contenders as well.

Kor understands the media love--it's clearly the almighty dollar as he says.

Kor doesn't understand the fan base love--the fan base isn't getting a dime.

I absolutely loved boxer Oscar DeLaHoya.  Still like him in his retirement.

His lifestyle was sketchy.

He had a coke problem.

He had a woman problem.

As much success as he had,

it wasn't as much as his extraordinary skill level could have given him.

It ended too soon.

But his interviews were always dignified, never tacky but never boring, and always polite.

His look was pristine. His ring robes were fine art. His dress suits were made on his body.

And when he was on, his boxing technique was something I might have killed for as a former boxer

and something absolutely enthralling for me to watch.

Remind you of anybody?

That's probably why I liked the Tiger as well.

Just an alternate perspective for our buddy Kor.

Everybody obviously didn't like Oscar or the Tiger.

But it was easy to see why lots of people might.

• Like 2

Kor understands the media love--it's clearly the almighty dollar as he says.

Kor doesn't understand the fan base love--the fan base isn't getting a dime.

I absolutely loved boxer Oscar DeLaHoya.  Still like him in his retirement.

His lifestyle was sketchy.

He had a coke problem.

He had a woman problem.

As much success as he had,

it wasn't as much as his extraordinary skill level could have given him.

It ended too soon.

But his interviews were always dignified, never tacky but never boring, and always polite.

His look was pristine. His ring robes were fine art. His dress suits were made on his body.

And when he was on, his boxing technique was something I might have killed for as a former boxer

and something absolutely enthralling for me to watch.

Remind you of anybody?

That's probably why I liked the Tiger as well.

Just an alternate perspective for our buddy Kor.

Everybody obviously didn't like Oscar or the Tiger.

But it was easy to see why lots of people might.

For me, the key point in this discussion, and one I feel is being missed, is that many (self included) are more tired of the media slobber-fest and very unbalanced event/news coverage than Tiger fan's simply being starry eyed. It's not Tiger that ruins Tiger for many golf fans.

• Like 3

I can watch him hit golf shots all day. Sorry not sorry. I think that the golf coverage does need to do a better job at balancing the rhythm of the tournament. They can do both and we rely on them to tell the story and keep the flow of the tournament but as of lately have not been doing that.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

The worst thing for overall golf coverage of tournaments is Tiger Woods. What I get really tired of is the announcers talking about how difficult ila shot is when Tiger is hitting it, but when others have the same shot, they say it's really not that hard. Tiger was taking a putt from maybe 10 feet yesterday and good ole JM was talking about how extremely difficult the putt. I guess it was the way he said it. Was it a hard putt, no, it was a putt that was difficult to read because it had a lot of break to it. C'mon It was a 10 foot putt with left to right break, he made it sound like the most difficult putt tiger has ever taken. I finally just turned off the sound so I didn't have to listen to crap spewing out of their mouths.

I do think that Tiger is playing really well this week, even people who don't like Tiger can see that, but why can't the coverage cover the tournament and not the player.

This is why I hat the media coverage of it. I was watching football at 11:30 last night and of course we got to see the highlights of Tigers round. If I wanted to see highlight of Tiger I would watch the GC. Oh I saw the highlights of Tiger more often than the highlights of OD beating VT during the football broadcasts. Stupid.

• Like 2

Oh I saw the highlights of Tiger more often than the highlights of OD beating VT during the football broadcasts. Stupid.

You complaint is perfectly reasonable and valid, Kor. Most of us would agree on that.

But they're playing up Tiger  because the TV executives think that it's the right thing to do from the bottom line perspective.  And they know their stuff.

We both understand that TV is for the the masses, not the cognocenti.

We watch it knowing that it will be far from perfect.

• Like 1

9 holes away from silencing everyone

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You think if he wins it'll make the haters jump on board?? It's not about him winning, I don't care if he wins every tournament from here on out. I have accepted there are going to be die hard Tiger fans no matter what, on the other hand, the Tiger worshipers will never accept/understand how people like myself will NEVER be a Tiger fan!!!

Blake

• Like 2

You think if he wins it'll make the haters jump on board?? It's not about him winning, I don't care if he wins every tournament from here on out. I have accepted there are going to be die hard Tiger fans no matter what, on the other hand, the Tiger worshipers will never accept/understand how people like myself will NEVER be a Tiger fan!!!

Blake

I don't really care if they get on board, but all the people who said he wouldn't ever win, couldn't finish 72 holes, can't keep up off the tee, etc. are about to get a big mouthful of STFU, and that's enough for me. He hit rock bottom and he's about to be back on top, I'm rooting for him more as a human being than a worshipper.

• Like 9

I don't really care if they get on board, but all the people who said he wouldn't ever win, couldn't finish 72 holes, can't keep up off the tee, etc. are about to get a big mouthful of STFU, and that's enough for me. He hit rock bottom and he's about to be back on top, I'm rooting for him more as a human being than a worshipper.

Yup yup!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Spot on!

• Like 2

It's no secret that I am a Tiger fan. What he has done this year is spectacular. I'm also a huge Taylormade fan, was actually waiting for big cat to sign with TM so I'm not conflicted.

Staffers sell, and Taylormade's sales are going to see a healthy boost.

NOW SHOW ME THE TIGER BLADES... for retail!!

• Like 3

It's no secret that I am a Tiger fan. What he has done this year is spectacular. I'm also a huge Taylormade fan, was actually waiting for big cat to sign with TM so I'm not conflicted.

Staffers sell, and Taylormade's sales are going to see a healthy boost.

NOW SHOW ME THE TIGER BLADES... for retail!!

*putter not included :

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1