Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Cleveland Launcher HB/CBX Irons

Ok I'll go first. Here's a few things I'm curious about:

1) How's the flight/contact on the short irons? In my head, I'm picturing moon shots that fly the right distance but are hard to trust in the wind.

2) How does the PW compare to your mean green pocket picking machine? The lofts and booty are probably pretty close to each other.

3) Do the big ole heads get in the way when situated in your bag? Do they create more bag chatter than normal?

Great questions!

Nice HIGH trajectory with the PW! Unfortunately the wind is not a factor in Georgia right now. Hot muggy days with very little wind. I'll report back when I face enough wind to affect ball flight.

I have not tested them side by side yet however that is a great suggestion! I can see a little shoot out between my PW and the SSW in the near future. Thanks for the question and I will post up the results soon. I have enjoyed the HB 7 iron as it works great with little bump and run shots.

No bag clatter for me as I have the iron covers on. My co tester Wedgie has no covers so he can expand on that topic.

Keep those questions coming as these irons need exposure. They are that good!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Great video ole grey.Boy I love the look of Georgia courses

Thanks buddy! Yep we have some pretty courses in this neck of the woods 🏌️🏌️

Cleveland

Stage 2 - Cleveland Launcher HB Irons

attachicon.gifClevelandGolfLogo.jpg

I'm hopping ahead of my co - testers and posting up my stage 2 today. I'll be checking on this thread often so if you have any questions fire away. I begin stage 2 with pre round range work hitting different shots with various irons and then on to the course for game type conditions. I threw in a few short videos demonstrating how the HB irons are working for me.

Looks:

You look down and see this big ole head with the thick top line. If ya don't like thick heads, you're in the wrong neighborhood. It's designed to have max forgiveness so they have the hybrid look and design. Larger from 4 iron and slim down towards the PW. Black with silver and chrome combo looks sexy!. There's no gaudy looking graphics to distract your eye which I prefer. Simply put it's a very good looking set of irons. The black finish on the top/back of the irons makes the irons appear thinner. The only thing I notice when I set up behind the ball is the topline. Yea the topline is thick however it gives me confidence that I can spank that ball's arse! They ooze confidence when you are addressing the ball. IMO they are the best looking SGI iron on the market! I've had a couple guys notice these irons and remark how sharp they look.

attachicon.gifclevelandmultipics450.jpg

I think Cleveland did an outstanding job on the design of these clubs as they are well built and the color combos are exceptionally appealing to the eye. Some golfers may not like the thick topline.

Looks: (8 of 10)

Sound & Feel:

I love the sound of a flushed golf ball off this face. It has a solid whack that let's everyone know the ball is struck well. I know these are cast irons however they sure sound sweet! The designers seemed aware these clubs shouldn't have the sound of hybrids therefore they added ribs in the chamber which results in a deep and pleasing sound at impact. It reminds me of crunching down on a north Georgia fall apple. Now feel is right there with with the sound. When flushed, the ball comes off the face with a mission. I did notice when shots are struck off the toe it's a different feel. Not quite the mash potato feel you get on center strikes however not enough to be concerned. Are you sure these things are not butter soft forged irons!?

Sound and Feel: (10 of 10)

Range Performance:

This is where you can build confidence that comes with a SGI set of irons. If you like a nice high trajectory with heat seeking missile accuracy, here's your irons. They simply wanted to go straight the majority of the time and that's regardless of whether you hit the shot off the heel, toe, high or low. These irons are legitimate super game improvement irons in the highest regard. If you are afraid you won't be able move the ball left or right, fear no more. They are not a one dimensional iron. I actually took the time to record some videos of my work with these on the range. I hit shots with the PW, 7I, and then hit a few 4 irons off a tee. I'll use it quite a bit on the shorter holes as it's a breeze to hit straight down the fairway.

Let's talk about distance. I was recently diagnosed (MRI) with two bulging disc and a pinched nerve in my lower back which inadvertantly moved over and flared up my left hip. I'm hitting solid shots however my yards of carry has suffered quite a bit . I hit the HBs very similar distances to my previous set of Callaway Steelhead irons however the HB's took a slight edge. Who would have thought a SGI set could muscle up to a GI set? Hmmmmm game on boys & girls!

If you click on the chart it should enlarge for better viewing.

attachicon.gifHBvsSteelheadIrons.JPG

Now let's move on over to the range and see what the HB irons have under the hood! You'll notice I'm a picker of the ball and you'll rarely see a divot from me. The HBs work great for my swing on the majority of shots. I've had a few problems coming out of thick Bermuda rough however that's due to my flat swing plane and has nothing to do with these irons. I'm happy to say they also work great for you diggers too as my co tester wedgie, hits down on the ball with authority and lawd have mercy he hits the ball well with his HBs.

Check out the morning warm up with the boys prior to putting the HBs to test in our weekly money game.

https://youtu.be/hwIjT50vtY4

Pitching Wedge

https://youtu.be/KkpmG7sf4GU

7 - Iron

[media]

[/media]

4 - Iron

I hit some warm up shots with the 4 iron on a tee as I use it often on the shorter par 4 holes.

Range Performance: (18 of 20)

On Course Performance:

The HBs are pretty much point and shoot on the course. Pick your target with good body alignment and let er go. I've hit more accurate shots with these irons than I recall in many years. Keep in mind they are fit to my specs so that really helps however the forgiveness factor is all off the charts. My buddies and I love to have a good time on the golf course! We laugh a lot and give and take when it comes to the money games. In these videos you'll see the HB irons taking care of business for me. We started videoing on #8 and them picked a few holes on the back side to show on course performance. Without further ado, enjoy the arse whupping that's about to take place!

Tee shot on - Par 3

https://youtu.be/13DbiuOQTQs

Approach shot on #9

https://youtu.be/swIJONLWxF8

Tee shot on #12 - Par 3

https://youtu.be/3_zuQZOXk7o

Approach shot on #13

[https://youtu.be/FLRTYb52b64[/media]

Chip shot to #13 green

https://youtu.be/aLG2k1JQtNI

My buddy Will is not drunk however he does pull off a pretty Otis imitation.

4 Iron on Hole #14

https://youtu.be/s9mGHwDFQ2I

Approach shot on Hole #14

https://youtu.be/tyWasveT8s0

While these irons are super forgiving you can still move the ball left or right with proper skills. I'm a mid capper (15) and if I can do it you good golfers should have zero problem working the ball. I'm hitting more straight shots than ever with these irons however I still prefer the right to left shot shape.

With that said the control I have with the HBs is far greater so let me think, distance or closer proximity to my target? I'll take the closer shots all day long! Also having a better chance of hitting the ball where I'm looking really helps when the bucks are on the line. It definitely puts less stress on the ole billfold. The HBs are simply good in every aspect for my game. Solid distance, a better chance of hitting where I'm intending to go, and confidence when playing those old coots for money, puts these in my bag for a looooong time! Maybe forever more.

On Course Performance (37 of 40)

Final Performance Comments:

The HB irons are without a doubt the most fun irons I have ever bagged. They out performed what I considered a great set of irons (Callaway Steelhead irons) by a substantial margin. They have improved my chances of scoring through more consistent contact and dispersion. My favorite thing about the HB irons is the immediate confidence I feel, while addressing the ball. I honestly can't see a thing I would like to see changed about this set and I can say that I'm now a bonafide Cleveland Golf fan!

Play it or Trade it (20 of 20)

Total Points (93 of 100)

These irons are no doubt a game changer for me because they help me perform better when I really need to. It's a confidence thing. View the video below and you will understand why I truly enjoy them! I will be playing these irons for a loooooooong time!

Conclusion:

Golf is hard for the majority of us so why not game equipment that lightens the load. The Cleveland Launcher HB irons are fun and easy to play. They get the ball up fast and it simply wants to go straight. You can draw or fade with these irons however there's nothing wrong with shooting a bullet at the hole. Truthfully I have no qualms if these irons stay in my bag for the rest of my golfing life. They are that good for me.

I am 100 % satisfied that the Cleveland Launcher HB irons would be a tremendous asset to a whole slew of golfers. From upper single digit to the 20+ cappers. They simply work, REALLY well....

I would like to thank Cleveland Golf for allowing us this opportunity to test their product. There's no doubt in my mind they have a winner. Also thanks to MyGolfSpy for the many testing opportunities provided each year for members to participate in. We are truly blessed to be a part of this community!

A couple of my playing partners were really impressed with the Cleveland Launcher HB Irons during this particular round and asked if they could comment.

https://youtu.be/gmTcBZs_GyI

Nice job Bro! I didn't think they could move the Steelheads out of the bag. Are you still happy with them?

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Nice job Bro! I didn't think they could move the Steelheads out of the bag. Are you still happy with them?

I was  happy with the Steelheads however when testing them side by side with the HBs, the Clevelands felt so much easier to hit.  

Cleveland

Ok I'm bumping up this thread as you Cobra challenge boys are having waaaaay too much fun!

Did I say these Cleveland Launcher HB irons are durable?  They have more lives than a stud cat on his 2nd go round.  ;) I've play 15+ rounds with these irons and I'm showing the pics of the 7 iron which I have hit a ton of shots both on the course and at the driving range. I don't know how they (Cleveland) protect their finish but these clubs are DURABLE with a capital D!  Take a look:

Backof7iron2.jpg

Bottomof7iron.jpg

faceof7iron2.jpg

The finish on these irons are tougher than nails and they keep on shining like the energizer bunny ticks.  :D

Cleveland

I'm playing with a guy tomorrow who has a set of these maybe 4 months old I'll check his out and see what the finish looks like.

Definitely need to bump this up, need more love for this thread!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm playing with a guy tomorrow who has a set of these maybe 4 months old I'll check his out and see what the finish looks like.

Whatever you do do not gamble against a man playing the Launcher HB Irons. You've been warned.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

If they're left handed you need to give em a swing too...  Just saying these dawgs will hunt!

Cleveland

Whatever you do do not gamble against a man playing the Launcher HB Irons. You've been warned.

Preach it bruther! 

Cleveland

All the LH here are “tighter than a tick” and won't upgrade, they all try out my stuff!

Obviously this guy is RH and hits them well.

Rick

Left Hand, 

All the LH here are “tighter than a tick” and won't upgrade, they all try out my stuff!

LOL  you're learning some cool little sayings there cuz...  :D

Cleveland

1) How's the flight/contact on the short irons? In my head, I'm picturing moon shots that fly the right distance but are hard to trust in the wind.

2) How does the PW compare to your mean green pocket picking machine? The lofts and booty are probably pretty close to each other.

3) Do the big ole heads get in the way when situated in your bag? Do they create more bag chatter than normal?

1.  Coming from the Cobra Single Length irons the flight seems lower to me.  I love the Cobra wedges and that has been the hardest part of the Launchers to get used to for me.  

2.  N/A

3.  I have a cheap MaxFli bag from Dicks with 15 dividers and no issues getting them in and out of the bag.  If anything the larger heads reduce chatter since they all kind of touch each other already.  My durability has been much better than the Cobras and are in line with the durability I have with my Mizuno Hot Metals.

EDIT:  I forgot to comment on the wind.  I have seen some windy days with these and for me since I try to hit everything high and straight they are no different than any other irons I have played in these conditions.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

LOL you're learning some cool little sayings there cuz... :D

hust getting started Grasshopper

Rick

Left Hand, 

Bumping it up for questions?

Cleveland

Just catching up on al the testing threads. Great job all on the stage 1 and stage 2 reviews. Wedgie, I had to snake a cigarette after reading your stage 1...and I dont even smoke 😁😂🤣, nicely done. Old grey, great videos!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Just catching up on al the testing threads. Great job all on the stage 1 and stage 2 reviews. Wedgie, I had to snake a cigarette after reading your stage 1...and I dont even smoke 🤣, nicely done. Old grey, great videos!

MDGolfHacker

You'll be a full time smoker after stage 2.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Heath/Peanut:

Well done on your stage 1 reviews!  Liked both of your background stories!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

You'll be a full time smoker after stage 2.

So...your saying I should invest in a smoking jacket ??  ha ha ha...  We should title your stage 2 as Fifty yards of Grey...ha ha ha...

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

So...your saying I should invest in a smoking jacket ?? ha ha ha... We should title your stage 2 as Fifty yards of Grey...ha ha ha...

MDGolfHacker

Hmmmm...you've given me my motivation to begin writing again.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

So...your saying I should invest in a smoking jacket ??  ha ha ha...  We should title your stage 2 as Fifty yards of Grey...ha ha ha...

MDGolfHacker

Now that's some funny stuff right there!!!   :D  :D  :D

Cleveland

Bumping this thread up for more questions!

Yesterday we attempted to play until the wet weather ran us back home.   I put the PW up against the Square Strike Wedge on a few chips since we had the whole course to ourselves.   The HB is exceptionally easy to hit off mushy lies.  It has a wide bounce (butt) which not unlike the SSW helps to reduce digging/chunking in those sloppy wet lies.  The HB actually whupped the SSW's butt on close proximity to the hole on more than one occasion.  I'll report back when we get firmer dryer (if that ever happens  :blink: ) conditions to see who wins that  type turf reaction.  This rain needs to take a break  :angry:

Cleveland

Bumping this thread up as some of you folks really need to take notice of the forgiveness and fun these irons bring to your game.   If you're struggling with your iron play and not giving these a look, bad on you!  

Cleveland

Witnessed these in action yesterday. Super impressive.

These are no doubt the most forgiving irons I have ever stuck in my bag.  If I'm having a bad ball striking day, it's not because of these puppies because everything in my bag will be sucking at the same time.  Honestly at my age (67), I can see these irons lasting several years and even maybe until I hang up my cleats.  For me, they are that good.

Cleveland

Played with my Bud who has the Cleveland irons. He's 76 years old and has gained back some of the distance he had lost over last 5 years.

Guessin' there is something to these clubs.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played with my Bud who has the Cleveland irons. He's 76 years old and has gained back some of the distance he had lost over last 5 years.

Guessin' there is something to these clubs.

When you swing with confidence, you obviously pick up more clubhead speed however when you are timid, you start trying to guide the ball which ends up with a glancing blow.  I can definitely see how your buddy gained confidence thus overall better yardage.

Cleveland

When you swing with confidence, you obviously pick up more clubhead speed however when you are timid, you start trying to guide the ball which ends up with a glancing blow. I can definitely see how your buddy gained confidence thus overall better yardage.

He's definitely been helped by these irons. His distance and accuracy have improved.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Good start everyone! I am currently playing the CBXs and am enjoying them. Top line and size are all relative I suppose and depends on what you are used to and what pleases your eye (or what you can stand). I wanted to share a few pictures comparing 7i for the CBX and a Ping G5 (not sure if the current G series is comparable in size). The CBXs are noticeably smaller and have a thinner top line than the G5's. So for me the view at address was quite an improvement—for a game improvement club I think they lean toward a more compact and pleasant shape—but again, it's all relative, sounds like the Apex tend even more toward the thinner side. Oh, and in terms of feel they are noticeably softer (I believe Ping has improved this since the 5 series though so may not be a fair comparison). The G5's are probably more forgiving so there is the trade off but the Cleveland's are solidly in the GI category and are fun to hit. Looking forward to the stage 2s.

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls