Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Cleveland Launcher HB/CBX Irons

Sitting here with some courses closed due to amount of rain we have received, I'm wondering how well these work in damp conditions? 

Great question 3putter!  I've always found that smaller soles/bounce works best on hard pan or packed tight fairways.The more bounce, the more bounce you get.   The clubs with higher bounce works best off softer lies.   With my shallow/flat swing the HB's work great off soft wet lies.  I can pick the ball off the wet grass or mud with ease.  If you have a upright swing with more digging action, my co tester Wedgie will be able to respond better.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Sitting here with some courses closed due to amount of rain we have received, I'm wondering how well these work in damp conditions? 

I have a thread somewhere on My Golf Spy asking for advice playing in wet soggy conditions because I have always struggled in them.  Somewhere in this thread I mention "the firmer the course the lower the score" for me.  That being said these perform much better than other irons I have used in the past in these conditions.  I played in very wet conditions in Kansas City over the weekend and with no issues.  To ole grays point I think the added bounce has helped me a ton.  Even if I catch it a little fat they still get me closer to my target than any other iron I have played.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Bumping up this thread for those interested on how awesome these irons are.  If you're having problems with you iron game, you might want to seriously give these a look!

Cleveland

I played in a scramble with frat brothers and about a dozen of my buddies hit the Launchers and I got a lot of "oh man" that is nice.  Beauty of the scramble was when guys needed to hit a shot they were using my clubs when the pressure was on or they needed more yardage.  These just keep delivering.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Weekend bump for those who surf the web looking for their golf fix and potential new sticks.  Get ya arse out there and try these puppies as I'm betting you'll be grinning like a possum in a persimmon tree!

Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...

Based on ole gray and Wedgie's reviews, thanks for all the details and feedback by the way, and my limited demo day experiences I just ordered a set of HB irons. Hopefully my results will mirror that of yours gentlemen.

That is great! I really think you'll enjoy them. They have certainly changed my game for the better. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Based on ole gray and Wedgie's reviews, thanks for all the details and feedback by the way, and my limited demo day experiences I just ordered a set of HB irons. Hopefully my results will mirror that of yours gentlemen.

Congrats 3putter! I'm looking forward to your take on these irons and no doubt they will help your game become less stressful.   :)  Enjoy!

Cleveland

Didn't mean to leave you out OG, I was just interested in the F8 Comparison since I just made it through that beast of a thread / contest. 

So did I.. LOL   You guys Have done an amazing job.. 

Wedgie, OG....DO you all feel that these clubs will stay in the bag? As someone who just finished a major test,I knew almost right away that they would.. Some clearly were better than others but they all are staying.. Would you be willing to make those decisions at this point? or do you feel more time is needed? 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

So did I.. LOL You guys Have done an amazing job..

Wedgie, OG....DO you all feel that these clubs will stay in the bag? As someone who just finished a major test,I knew almost right away that they would.. Some clearly were better than others but they all are staying.. Would you be willing to make those decisions at this point? or do you feel more time is needed?

Mine are staying in the bag and I knew it after my second round with them. I cannot imagine a better set of irons for me and my scoring continues to reflect that. I'd say that anyone who has a similar game to mine would be amazed what these irons could do for them.

I was actually thinking yesterday while watching Tiger come up short on that par 3 cuz they said he caught it a groove low that he needs the Launcher HB irons. Hell, he would have won earlier this year with them in the bag.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

So did I.. LOL   You guys Have done an amazing job.. 

It would take a Momma Gorilla in heat to take my HB's away from me!  Even then I might spank that arse.    :D  Seriously they are here to stay as my misses are so much more playable with these puppies.   Love em!  :wub:

Cleveland

Great review OG, btw did your buddy Will flash you “The Finger” during the video?......LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Great review OG, btw did your buddy Will flash you “The Finger” during the video?......LOL

Thanks Foz and about Will,  how did you know that?  :D

Cleveland

Still loving the launchers and although the handicap has stabilized I feel like there is still room to improve with better decisions on the course. Doubled 16 and 18 last time out to shoot an 80 and getting primed for dude trip to Florida first week of November.

IMG_0062.JPG

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

7 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Still loving the launchers and although the handicap has stabilized I feel like there is still room to improve with better decisions on the course. Doubled 16 and 18 last time out to shoot an 80 and getting primed for dude trip to Florida first week of November.

IMG_0062.JPG

Great job partner!  It was a pleasure co testing with you and I can see you kicking several arses with these weapons.   

Cleveland

Great job partner!  It was a pleasure co testing with you and I can see you kicking several arses with these weapons.   

I’m going to kick all their arses with these beauties.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

• 2 weeks later...

It's is almost 3 weeks since my pro ordered the Launcher HBs. 4-pw was ordered with the understanding that if I didn't want the 4 iron no problem the pro shop will keep with rental clubs. Its pouring rain outside and the temperature is dropping in NJ. Hope they arrive before it really gets cold. Just wanted to keep the thread alive and promise to update once they arrive and I get a chance to use them.

1 hour ago, 3putter said:

It's is almost 3 weeks since my pro ordered the Launcher HBs. 4-pw was ordered with the understanding that if I didn't want the 4 iron no problem the pro shop will keep with rental clubs. Its pouring rain outside and the temperature is dropping in NJ. Hope they arrive before it really gets cold. Just wanted to keep the thread alive and promise to update once they arrive and I get a chance to use them.

That's great that you will keep the thread going with your thoughts!  If you're anything like Wedgie and myself, the 4i will be the easiest one you have ever bagged.  Hopefully you will receive em soon and get a few rounds in before the nasty weather kicks in to stay. 

Cleveland

Finally got my HBs today 5 to pw. They get their initial trial tomorrow am.20181018_165843.thumb.jpg.253935bca454993575ccfcb645797009.jpg20181018_170243.thumb.jpg.b9024c5b2fa577293443989ef1e181f2.jpg20181018_172019.thumb.jpg.462437c7461f97055aaeb788435d4b59.jpg

Great...let us know how you like them? It took me one round to adjust.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Hey 3putter the suspense is killing me. Did you take them out yesterday? Thoughts?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Took them out yesterday for their maiden run. Will take some getting use to. Ground was still very soft and a lot of bare spots in fairways. Didn't play well in general, operator error not the tools used. Started hitting them better towards end of round. Will post update after some range time and another round.

On 10/20/2018 at 12:02 PM, 3putter said:

Took them out yesterday for their maiden run. Will take some getting use to. Ground was still very soft and a lot of bare spots in fairways. Didn't play well in general, operator error not the tools used. Started hitting them better towards end of round. Will post update after some range time and another round.

Hang in there 3putter and you should see that forgiveness kicking in soon.  Were you fit for your irons or did they come standard?

Cleveland

Semi-fit from same rep at two different demo days. Only modification from standard was + 1/2" in length. It made sense to me since prior set was 1* upright. Hit the range yesterday, I'm awesome off of mats. I will keep updating my progress even though the temperature has dropped to the 40s and low 50s.

3 minutes ago, 3putter said:

Semi-fit from same rep at two different demo days. Only modification from standard was + 1/2" in length. It made sense to me since prior set was 1* upright. Hit the range yesterday, I'm awesome off of mats. I will keep updating my progress even though the temperature has dropped to the 40s and low 50s.

Yep sounds like you should be spot on.   ha ha yea we're all touring jocks at the range and when we hit the course with a scorecard , we become wandering gypsies.   The cold weather is definitely a bitoch while trying to bond with new clubs however maybe you will see some good weather in the mix..  Looking forward to your next round with em. 

Cleveland

I have been able to get 2 more rounds in and am starting to see improvement. The trajectory and distance are good. My only issue at this time is the line is off to the right. My miss with my prior set was a pull or a hook. It will take some more time to get used to the HBs, if no improvement I might need to have the lie angles checked and possibly altered.

19 hours ago, 3putter said:

I have been able to get 2 more rounds in and am starting to see improvement. The trajectory and distance are good. My only issue at this time is the line is off to the right. My miss with my prior set was a pull or a hook. It will take some more time to get used to the HBs, if no improvement I might need to have the lie angles checked and possibly altered.

Maybe have the 7 iron bumped up one more degree upright?  If that works change the rest of em then you'll be cooking with Crisco...

Cleveland