Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Cleveland Launcher HB/CBX Irons

12 hours ago, 3putter said:

Gonna give it a few more rounds, weather permitting. Hit some really nice shots yesterday. If it continues, I will adjust 1 club. Good advice, thanks.

Yea that sounds like a good plan.   Sometimes it takes several rounds to adjust to a new set of clubs.  Especially when they have the big butts like the HBs have and you're use to the conventional look.  Once you get em dialed in, you'll be having more fun than a cat in a minnow bucket. 😉

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Finally had some decent weather today and played in an outing.  Was very impressed with the HBs. Slight misses only lost marginal distance  or were off line minimally. They are very forgiving and solid feeling.  It seems that the problems I was having with them early on was what appeared to be a square clubface  to me actually wasn't. I have never been a fan of hybrids and don't consider these a set of hybrid irons. They do have wide bottoms but they are and play like irons not hybrids. All in all I feel a lot better about my recent purchase and will provide a more detailed update after another round.

16 hours ago, 3putter said:

Finally had some decent weather today and played in an outing.  Was very impressed with the HBs. Slight misses only lost marginal distance  or were off line minimally. They are very forgiving and solid feeling.  It seems that the problems I was having with them early on was what appeared to be a square clubface  to me actually wasn't. I have never been a fan of hybrids and don't consider these a set of hybrid irons. They do have wide bottoms but they are and play like irons not hybrids. All in all I feel a lot better about my recent purchase and will provide a more detailed update after another round.

It gets better..... 😉    Of course you will have an occasional golfing round from hell as they are certainly not bullet proof however for the most part, these puppies will get you through with a smile on your face.   Hang in there partner as the good stuff has yet to come!

Cleveland

On 10/28/2018 at 5:00 AM, ole gray said:

Especially when they have the big butts 😉

OG I thought you liked big Butts... LOL

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I’m happy to hear they are getting better for you. I honestly have to play close attention to setting the club face square each shot or I will lose them right as well.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

12 hours ago, Reesedw said:

OG I thought you liked big Butts... LOL

Those big butts will get er done!  😍

Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...

Played last week during a warm but very wet day. Have to pay attention to clubface to make sure it is square not open.  Conditions were poor but iron play is improving. Unfortunately, I am watching the snow fall with almost 3 inches down already.  Don't know when I will be able to play. Monitoring of the irons will be on hold for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to revive this thread for the holidays now that the Launcher HB irons have won the Most Wanted SGI category. Really not surprised by this as testing proved them to be great for ole gray and I. Now if we can get a head-to-head against all categories of Most Wanted Iron winners that would be fun.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

19 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Time to revive this thread for the holidays now that the Launcher HB irons have won the Most Wanted SGI category. Really not surprised by this as testing proved them to be great for ole gray and I. Now if we can get a head-to-head against all categories of Most Wanted Iron winners that would be fun.

I keep trying to persuade my father to try these, but he has a mental block. He's convinced his Ping G10s don't suit him and keeps trying to pull the Hogan Ft Worth Black's from my bag... 🙂

That said, a test against the other "Most Wanted" irons would have to take a slightly different format. In the standard tests then by all reasonable rights, these should win as they should be the most consistent and consistently straight irons out of all of the groups. However, that's not what someone legitimately playing player's irons is looking for as they should be fairly consistent anyway.
If you were to compare these against the other groups of irons then both distance and lateral dispersion should be one part of the package, but you'd need to find a way to effectively test "workability" too... Maybe say "Hit five shots at x -6* launch angle" then "Hit five shots at x+6* launch angle", then "Hit five shots with an 8 yard draw", "Hit five shots with an 8 yard fade"...

These should default win a "What's the most consistent and straightest" competition, but that doesn't mean they fulfill the needs of every golfer.

Edited by Jon Brittan

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

I keep trying to persuade my father to try these, but he has a mental block. He's convinced his Ping G10s don't suit him and keeps trying to pull the Hogan Ft Worth Black's from my bag...

That said, a test against the other "Most Wanted" irons would have to take a slightly different format. In the standard tests then by all reasonable rights, these should win as they should be the most consistent and consistently straight irons out of all of the groups. However, that's not what someone legitimately playing player's irons is looking for as they should be fairly consistent anyway.
If you were to compare these against the other groups of irons then both distance and lateral dispersion should be one part of the package, but you'd need to find a way to effectively test "workability" too... Maybe say "Hit five shots at x -6* launch angle" then "Hit five shots at x+6* launch angle", then "Hit five shots with an 8 yard draw", "Hit five shots with an 8 yard fade"...
These should default win a "What's the most consistent and straightest" competition, but that doesn't mean they fulfill the needs of every golfer.

Keep pushing your dad to try them. He will thank you at some point. I get that these clubs aren’t for everyone but man there should be a lot more people playing this type of club.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

19 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Keep pushing your dad to try them. He will thank you at some point. I get that these clubs aren’t for everyone but man there should be a lot more people playing this type of club.

Oh, I'll get him there eventually 🙂

And, I agree.
I play blades myself initially because I wanted clubs that would force me to practice consistently to be able to use them and where I wouldn't get any performance until I was doing it fairly well because, for me, I had an end goal and didn't care what my outcomes were until I got there. I'm also the type of person who will spend 20 minutes to 2 hours every night hitting balls in my practice net.

My father, these days, plays golf once a month, maybe and doesn't swing a club in between those occasions. He then tries to grab a thin blade from my bag and makes a hash of it consistently.
For him, I'm sure he'd enjoy his occasional rounds more with something like these...

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

No doubt these are the most forgiving irons I have ever gamed, bar none!  They just flat out perform and if you're not a low handicapper and have not given these a thought, you must enjoy getting your arse kicked by the game of golf.  Seriously......

Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...

I'll keep popping back in here proclaiming my love for these irons because for me, they just flat out perform.  I won 3 of 4 greenies last Tuesday. My buddies said they were going to wrestle these clubs away from me.....   Yup these puppies bark like a champion blue tic!

I will say I'm disappointed that Cleveland did not option a 3 iron in the mix.  I love the 4 iron and having the option of bagging a 3 would be heaven on earth!   Well at least in the golfing scheme of things. 

Cleveland

I'm guessing the majority of golfers who would put these in their bag wouldn't dream of playing a 3i, leaving that for a hybrid or fairway wood. Wouldn't make sense to manufacture a club that so few golfers would want, so I can see why they don't offer it. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I'm guessing the majority of golfers who would put these in their bag wouldn't dream of playing a 3i, leaving that for a hybrid or fairway wood. Wouldn't make sense to manufacture a club that so few golfers would want, so I can see why they don't offer it. 

Same could be said for the 4 iron but once you hit the 4 iron in this set you will want a 3 iron too.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

The 4 iron is easier to hit than any hybrid I have ever bagged and I love hybrids. It looks like a hybrid and plays like a hybrid so a 3i in the set would basically be another easy to hit iron er hybrid or whatever 🙄....   Love em! 😍

Cleveland

20 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Same could be said for the 4 iron but once you hit the 4 iron in this set you will want a 3 iron too.

Heck the 4 iron plays like a 7 iron in terms of playability.   I bet a 2 iron in the HB's would be awesome for tight courses. 

Cleveland

• 1 month later...

Went to True Spec and this will serve as my 6 month update:

Grant,

Thank you for coming into our studio this afternoon. I hope you enjoyed the experience of a True Spec iron fitting and felt like we identified beyond a shadow of a doubt your Cleveland Launcher HB irons were the best overall solution for what you're looking for at this stage in your game.

While you originally had some concerns about the lie angles of your current irons, the GC Quad report (attached) show that you're consistently delivering a neutral lie angle at impact. Additionally, you were hoping to find a setup that was more forgiving, and while certain combinations changed the dynamics of the ball flight, I feel confident that the numbers you're producing are optimal for your swing signature.

Sure, the Callaway Rogue Irons gave you 3 more mph of ball speed, but they also launched 4 degrees lower and had a whopping 8.5-9.0 degrees lower dynamic loft at impact. While they fly almost 10 yards farther, they are coming in so shallow (38-39 degrees) with about 600 rpm of spin less that you won't have any luck stopping the ball coming into the green. The best combination of forgiveness, launch, speed, and consistency was achieved using your Cleveland gamers. Best of all, you got them from MyGolfSpy!!

I'm really interested to have you back and get fit for a Driver. The XXIO line is notoriously very easy to hit, so I'm up for the challenge of trying to beat it and find a more permanent solution for your tee ball. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Bunch of new gear is coming out soon so next time you're in we should have some new toys!

Thanks,
SF

True Spec Golf
Shaun Fagan
Master Club Fitter

413-454-2726

TrueSpecGolf.com

The guys there were great and I would highly recommend them to anyone. I’m sure I will build a relationship with them as I round out other parts of my bag. I can provide monitor data if anyone is still paying attention to this thread.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

That's very cool, I love that they didn't try to sell you on the rogues and admitted that your clubs are the best solution for you. Sounds like my kind of store 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

That's very cool, I love that they didn't try to sell you on the rogues and admitted that your clubs are the best solution for you. Sounds like my kind of store

They were really good guys and I feel very honest. They asked what my top priority was and I told them scoring. That is why we ended up keeping things as is. They said they get guys that only care about distance or looks. They don’t judge, they try to get you what you ask for. Frankly after shaft testing I settled in on the steel fiber i80 which is 10 grams lighter than what I game so if those where in the launchers distance would have been very similar. They also said the Rogue was like my 5 irons. They had never had anyone in that had Launchers and they were surprised at the spin numbers these put up. Best of the bunch by far.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

2 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Went to True Spec and this will serve as my 6 month update:

Grant,

Thank you for coming into our studio this afternoon. I hope you enjoyed the experience of a True Spec iron fitting and felt like we identified beyond a shadow of a doubt your Cleveland Launcher HB irons were the best overall solution for what you're looking for at this stage in your game.

While you originally had some concerns about the lie angles of your current irons, the GC Quad report (attached) show that you're consistently delivering a neutral lie angle at impact. Additionally, you were hoping to find a setup that was more forgiving, and while certain combinations changed the dynamics of the ball flight, I feel confident that the numbers you're producing are optimal for your swing signature.

Sure, the Callaway Rogue Irons gave you 3 more mph of ball speed, but they also launched 4 degrees lower and had a whopping 8.5-9.0 degrees lower dynamic loft at impact. While they fly almost 10 yards farther, they are coming in so shallow (38-39 degrees) with about 600 rpm of spin less that you won't have any luck stopping the ball coming into the green. The best combination of forgiveness, launch, speed, and consistency was achieved using your Cleveland gamers. Best of all, you got them from MyGolfSpy!!

I'm really interested to have you back and get fit for a Driver. The XXIO line is notoriously very easy to hit, so I'm up for the challenge of trying to beat it and find a more permanent solution for your tee ball. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Bunch of new gear is coming out soon so next time you're in we should have some new toys!

Thanks,
SF

True Spec Golf
Shaun Fagan
Master Club Fitter

413-454-2726

TrueSpecGolf.com

The guys there were great and I would highly recommend them to anyone. I’m sure I will build a relationship with them as I round out other parts of my bag. I can provide monitor data if anyone is still paying attention to this thread.

That is an awesome email from a quality and high integrity fitter.   You know how they say, you can make numbers say whatever you want.   I'm sure he could have presented a case for the Rogues and more distance.   But he gave you an honest assesment even though it meant no sale.  

I bet I know where you will go for a driver fitting/purchase !!

Make sure and let us know how that fitting goes. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Ok. I am a low handicapper and I have always wondered about game improvement clubs; however, I have always been leary because of the lack of spin that they create. I saw the Cleveland Launcher HB won the category for SGI. I saw Mark Crossfields review. I read this post from start to finish. Yet, I was hesitant to buy them as an experiment to see if they could help a low handicapper. Then, I realized that with my rewards program through our office credit card, I could get this set for FREE. That is my kind of price. Lol. 

So, I just unboxed them and proceeded to test them on my Skytrak at home against my Mizuno JPX 850 forged irons. Yeah....the Mizunos feel a little more like butter when I hit them....but I can get over that if my iron play improves. I am a club longer with the HBs. I am not sure if the lofts are jacked or not....so that may not be a good comparison. Spin was about 300 rpm less with the HBs....but the HBs flew higher and had very similar stopping power to my Mizunos. 

The BIGGEST thing I noticed.....about one out of every ten swings for me will be a little on the dicey side....is that I am BLOWN away by the forgiveness of the HBs compared to the Mizunos. I hit one on the heel which felt like it should go nowhere. It flew about five yards shorter than my standard ball with just a baby fade on it that ended up four yards off line. 

I am looking forward to getting these out on my Florida trip in March. I will keep everyone updated. These could be a game changer......

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Yeah, keep us posted. I tried to describe them to the True Spec guys yesterday and the best I can come up with is they get me consistently closer to my target than any other iron I have ever played. I gamed the Mizuno JPX 825 Pros about 5-6 years ago and loved them. When my eyes started to go I struggled with them.

Enjoy the clubs and enjoy your trip to Florida. I’ll be there in March as well.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Will let you know how the trip goes.  You know...the clubs don’t look that bad at address.  

Right Handed. 

I agree they don’t look bad at all. I still think it plays like an iron although some will argue they are hybrids. Did you order a stock setup? I’m on mobile so can’t see your handicap but I’m curious what it is?

Also thanks for the heads up on Amex points. I just went to the rewards site and they are offering 25% off everything until the end of the month. 125 pages of golf stuff to look thru.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Handicap finished the year at 1.8. I have been trying to get to scratch so I purchased a year subscription to shot by shot strokes gained tracking program to see where I was bleeding strokes. It converts your strokes gained number into a handicap for you. 

Driving:  3 handicap

Short  game:  3 handicap

Putting:  Scratch

Approach:  NINE handicap

it was clear to me that my iron game was holding me back. I really wanted to try something that would help....and this just may be the ticket. 

I got the 4-PW. I am going to the fitter on Monday to see if they need to be bent 2 degrees flat like my irons. 

I already catch grief for the ugly putter that I use....,why not catch some flak for my irons as well?

Right Handed. 

Have you guys seen your handicaps falling at all with these in the bag for a while now?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 1/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, Sluggo42 said:

Have you guys seen your handicaps falling at all with these in the bag for a while now?

Not this time of year!  I've had some really good rounds and I've had some that would make a skunk embarrassed! 😳  I'm not a good mudder and we've had plenty of rain and mush so no, my game is in the outhouse.  With that said, spring is near and I'm ready for some sunshine and firm ground to see my consistency back up.  I don't keep a handicap however if I did, it would be up a couple of notches. With that said, I still LOVE my HBs! 

Cleveland

On 1/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, Sluggo42 said:

My handicap was 12.1 when I got these and got as low as 8.3 this summer.  I ended the year at a 9.  I honestly think with my game and that I don't practice this is about as low as I can go and no other clubs I've played have gotten me to this point.  I was buying regular old game improvement irons and hovered between a 12-15 for years.  Only change was the clubs and BOOM!

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

9 hours ago, Wedgie said:

My handicap was 12.1 when I got these and got as low as 8.3 this summer.  I ended the year at a 9.  I honestly think with my game and that I don't practice this is about as low as I can go and no other clubs I've played have gotten me to this point.  I was buying regular old game improvement irons and hovered between a 12-15 for years.  Only change was the clubs and BOOM!

These dawgs will hunt huh partner!?   Love em 😍

Cleveland