Brian5468

PXG Irons

4 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I’m gonna tell you what: these irons are legit. Destroyed my Ping i210s today from a consistency standpoint. My dispersion from front-to-back on mishits was reduced by NINE yards, and left to right by 7! No joke. I don’t care how far they flew, they were STRAIGHTER! Wow. I didn’t even try the Gen 2s. Ridiculous. So consistent. Same exact shaft too, PX LZ 6.5. Wow.

You only tried the Gen1?  Why not the 2s?  

You only tried the Gen1?  Why not the 2s?  

Why try an iron that I’ll NEVER be able to afford? $155-$180 a club vs $400!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Just found out that the PXG rep for Louisiana will be at the CC in-town this week, so I’m going to go back and confirm the fitting for the irons. I’m not really convinced that I’m 2* flat. We’ll see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

Just found out that the PXG rep for Louisiana will be at the CC in-town this week, so I’m going to go back and confirm the fitting for the irons. I’m not really convinced that I’m 2* flat. We’ll see.

2* flat?!? I could be mistaken but haven't you said you are 6' 5"? There is NO way you could be 2 flat! 

• Like 1

Really thinking I should buy one of the “1” irons. Seems like a good idea.

• Like 1

2* flat?!? I could be mistaken but haven't you said you are 6' 5"? There is NO way you could be 2 flat! 

Lie isn’t dictated by height, it’s dictated by the swing.... But, it does seem odd, and that’s why I’m re-doing the fitting.

2 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Lie isn’t dictated by height, it’s dictated by the swing. Now, there is a reason behind the fitter going flatter, and that was to help takeaway my “hook” miss. So, with that in-mind, it does make some sense. I don’t have an upright swing, either, but who knows. We’ll see what this guy comes-up with. I do want to mitigate my miss.

No, height isn't the only factor in determining lie, but it does play some role. 

I see where your fitter is coming from, I'd just be concerned that it would turn into a bad slice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

What’s your typical ball flight? Draw or fade? What’s your typical miss?

what makes you think you don’t need to be 2* flat?

No, height isn't the only factor in determining lie, but it does play some role. 
I see where your fitter is coming from, I'd just be concerned that it would turn into a bad slice. 

That won’t happen. I come from the inside pretty good. Almost too much...

• Like 1

What’s your typical ball flight? Draw or fade? What’s your typical miss?
what makes you think you don’t need to be 2* flat?

Well, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-11 fittings tells me this....

11 hours ago, PMookie said:

That won’t happen. I come from the inside pretty good. Almost too much...

This could be why the fitter recommend 2 flat to avoid a the big hook/pull.

11 hours ago, PMookie said:

Well, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-11 fittings tells me this....

I’ve had roughly that many and I’m anywhere from no adjustment (won’t say stabdard because there isn’t one for lie angle) to 2 flat depending on brand (again hard to say really 2 flat because no stabdard). I’ve been fit in both black and red dot in ping.

How does the standard lie of PXG compare to the standard lie for your current set? What’s your current lie angle in your set?

I’ve had roughly that many and I’m anywhere from no adjustment (won’t say stabdard because there isn’t one for lie angle) to 2 flat depending on brand (again hard to say really 2 flat because no stabdard). I’ve been fit in both black and red dot in ping.
How does the standard lie of PXG compare to the standard lie for your current set? What’s your current lie angle in your set?

It’s only a 1/2*. I’ve been 2* up, to std, depending on lie angles. He said I could go 1* flat, but to start at 2 and then bend them if need be. I definitely agree with why he’s doing it, to keep away from my big miss, and I hit the balls well, but I’ll still confirm it Wednesday.

Most wanted iron testing has started so I grabbed a seven iron. Looking forward to further testing., the clubs have great balance and feel. Didn’t get any numbers since the gc quad was off.

• Like 1

Most wanted iron testing has started so I grabbed a seven iron. Looking forward to further testing., the clubs have great balance and feel. Didn’t get any numbers since the gc quad was off.

Looking forward to your findings!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

Looking forward to your findings!!!

I should start testing irons next week; I think I have a couple more putter sessions.   Looks like PXG sent multiple shaft options so I should be able to find a shaft that works for me.  They were the Gen2s so they would be an expensive buy as you indicated.

• Like 1

The Heroes discount is significant.  A $500.00 putter is 150 for vets.  The price of the irons is very competitive with other OEM's with the discount. Nice thing Bob Parsons does for us.

• Like 3

Today was my first day of game improvement iron testing and PW was the iron.   The PXG XF was in the mix and the results were not the best for me.  Pretty sure the shaft was the Modus Pro which generally works for me and was in one of the irons that outperformed the PXGs.

Looking at the average numbers the ball speed was a bit slower than the others,  spin was mid range,  and carry /totoal distance were right in line with the others.   That was averages and the PXG had the widest deviation across all shots.  

Generally I would describe it as clunking when compared to the others in today's testing,  holding out hope that performance of the players type club will be better for me.  Will probably be a few more sessions before I get to the 5 and 7 irons.  

• Like 2