TESTERS WANTED! ×

Your Preferred Golf Ball?

fixyurdivot

I always use to be Pro V1 but since I was fitted for a new driver in December and the fitters comment that I would get better distance I have changed to the x class of ball and if I buy any it is Chrome Soft X. Which I'm sure give me more distance than the Pro V1. 

Saying that I play a lot of practise rounds and for these I would tend to use what I have in my bag but I tend to limit what I carry to dual core ionomer type balls or similar (e.g. Srixon AD333, Callaway Supersoft, NXT). If I find Top Flite, Ultras and the like I will just leave in the fairway for someone to pick up.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

My honest answer is "the ones I find on the course".  The collection in my bag is truly diverse.  My only restrictions are no high-vis yellow, orange, etc.  When I find those, I give them away or leave for the next guy. Reading some of the other threads on the forum, it seems many are really into playing a certain ball or perhaps a couple.  I've been playing this game for over 50 years and quite frankly I've never really noticed a difference in performance between various balls - and I'm talking the top brand names and model.

By and large I have a mix of Titleist , Bridgestone, Srixon, TaylorMade, and Callaway.  I just pick one out of the cache and play - giving no thought to its particular performance/ characteristic.  Am I unique in this regard?  

What is your preferred ball or balls and why?  Do you favor certain ones for certain conditions?  Is there really that big a difference between the $19.99 and $39.99/dozen?

I was "fitted" into the Bridgestone E6 Softs and have played those pretty exclusively since I started late last season. Like many have stated here already, I picked one and stuck with it in order to have a constant I could control. Earlier this season, MGS gave me the opportunity to test the Snell MTB Reds and my eyes were opened up on the fact that all golf balls, though generally round and dimpled, were not all the same. Use the link below to view all of the reviews done for the Snell's.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/22972-official-forum-member-review-snell-mtb-black-red/

During testing, I also purchased a box of the MTB Black and they seemed to suit me better than the Reds and gave me better performance over-all. I am just about out of E6's so I ordered 6-dozen of the Blacks that expect to see shortly. A normal dozen from tham is only around $32/doz with free ship and no tax. By ordering them in this 6-pk, they are only $27 and change per/doz, free ship and no tax. Easy, inexpensive premium balls and I didn't have to go to the store to get them either.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Found a 1-hit-wonder Callaway Chrome Soft recently and it seemed to fit my game pretty decent so I decided to pick up a box to give it more of a run to see how good it really is

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Snell Black! Love the feel and consistency. Similar to the ProV1. Tried the Snell Red and though I enjoyed the added spin, it was inconsistent with distances and poor in the wind, and felt heavy. Also enjoyed the Srixon Q Star Tour.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Snell Black! Love the feel and consistency. Similar to the ProV1. Tried the Snell Red and though I enjoyed the added spin, it was inconsistent with distances and poor in the wind, and felt heavy. Also enjoyed the Srixon Q Star Tour.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It's been so long since I've purchased any golf ball, it's like a whole new market to me.  Several mfg.s added here that I've never heard of.  One of the guys I play with in Yuma loves Srixon balls and, when I find one, will trade me other top name balls for it.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'll be gaming OnCore Caliber today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

For the first time i managed to play 14 holes with the same ball.... that´s what made me fall in love with the TM TP5.

Ive been all about chrome soft x until i tried TP5x. I'm glad I did. More distance and feels lighter off the face. It doesn't check on the green as fast as the CSX but I do like the way it rolls.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I was doing a little info searching on some balls in my bag and came across this site.  It looks to cover most of the most popular balls currently in production.  Nike appears to own the bragging rights for "most dimples".  It is also interesting how many of the balls are "designed" for the mid handicap players. A mere coincidence with the bell curve... nah.  :)

The "view details" provides a complete summary. Thought others might find it handy. 

https://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tips/equipment-choices/golf-ball-dimples/

Ive been all about chrome soft x until i tried TP5x. I'm glad I did. More distance and feels lighter off the face. It doesn't check on the green as fast as the CSX but I do like the way it rolls.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I never thought about the ball variable because i´m a high handicapper, but i sure did like playing with the TP5. For the first time i really looked at the ball to see what was the make. I lost it but it´s the one ball i´m sure i´l buy to see if it´s really worth it. I didn't measure distances but i liked the contact, the feel and sound of it, and it had a nice roll on the green. 

Did you play TP5 also or just TP5x?

I was always a buy the big name brand guy but after reading some advice on here about finding a ball and sticking with it I trailed everything from All the big brands , I then seen some one mention the Wilson staff duo golf ball.

I picked up a dozen and have used them the last few rounds and the distance, flight, chipping just feels better to me or for my game than any other ball I tried.

The new Titleist tour soft are a close second.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I was always a buy the big name brand guy but after reading some advice on here about finding a ball and sticking with it I trailed everything from All the big brands , I then seen some one mention the Wilson staff duo golf ball.

I picked up a dozen and have used them the last few rounds and the distance, flight, chipping just feels better to me or for my game than any other ball I tried.

The new Titleist tour soft are a close second.

I found a Wilson Staff Duo Urethane 3 rounds ago and have been playing it ever since, absolutely love that ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I recommend you try both of these. I think you'll be quite impressed.

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-balls/#C4

https://www.snellgolf.com/collections/all

The longer you stick around here the more you'll learn and find out.  :)

Have a great 4th!

Lately I've been play Ksig and scoring low. But today I needed to order a few new gloves from MG Golf. I also snagged an extra doz MG Tour C4's while I was at it. Anyway today, ... I decided to play a C4  and played well scoring a 75. Several times today I thought the MG exhibited a little more spin around the green than the ksig. Same with approach shots of 125-140. They seemed to hold a little better? Maybe I was just making better contact or something. Not sure. Next time I might play 9 with each and see how it shakes out.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I played an entire 18 holes with the same ball today. I usually don't make it through 9 with less than 3 balls!

Today it was an OnCore Caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Golf Balls matter when they matter. If you are learning and struggling at a 20 plus handicap then I recommend playing a ball equal to the amount of money you feel comfortable tossing into the Woods, stream, pond or ocean. Once you build some level of consistency into your game then getting ball fitted is a great idea. You really need to match your swing characteristics to your clubs to the ball you use.

I hit a ridiculously straight ball (stop rolling your eyes). So I need a higher spinning ball to achieve any sort of height and distance. I was gifted the new AVX and could barely get it off the ground from the tee box. Although my swing speeds are crazy low I get the most out of your tour level spinning balls like PV1 and TP5s

54 years old

Handicap 6

Average Drive 248 (Ping G at 11.5 degrees)

150 club is a 7 iron (Mizuno MP5 or Ping i25)

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I'm going to try and remind myself tomorrow to ask the golf fitter about ball selection.  Hopefully, after seeing me hit and reviewing the ball flight data, he doesn't say - "the ones in the oak barrel over there would be a great choice"  :lol:

Archived