My honest answer is "the ones I find on the course".  The collection in my bag is truly diverse.  My only restrictions are no high-vis yellow, orange, etc.  When I find those, I give them away or leave for the next guy. Reading some of the other threads on the forum, it seems many are really into playing a certain ball or perhaps a couple.  I've been playing this game for over 50 years and quite frankly I've never really noticed a difference in performance between various balls - and I'm talking the top brand names and model.

By and large I have a mix of Titleist , Bridgestone, Srixon, TaylorMade, and Callaway.  I just pick one out of the cache and play - giving no thought to its particular performance/ characteristic.  Am I unique in this regard?  

What is your preferred ball or balls and why?  Do you favor certain ones for certain conditions?  Is there really that big a difference between the $19.99 and $39.99/dozen?

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a huge mistake for a serious golfer to not play the same ball in season.   Doesn't really matter which one - pick one, any one as long as it's the same. There are subtle differences be

I recommend you try both of these. I think you'll be quite impressed.   https://www.mggolf.com/golf-balls/#C4   https://www.snellgolf.com/collections/all   The longer you stick around here the m

Snell Black! Love the feel and consistency. Similar to the ProV1. Tried the Snell Red and though I enjoyed the added spin, it was inconsistent with distances and poor in the wind, and felt heavy.

I currently game the TP5 or the Chrome soft. I would like to play with the Oncore Elixr but they are too hard to get here. My mind could be changed by the AVX that I have played once and loved till we parted ways in the trees...

• Like 2

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King Forged Tec (2016) - LH - 4-PW - KBS C-Taper light Reg
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I'm sorta like you, and usually game a mixture of balls. I'm going to try and change that and dedicate myself to playing one brand. I had a great round with the Vice Pro last night, so this may be the beginning of that dedication.

• Like 4

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

I game the Top Flite D2+ Feel. Cheap 2 piece ball that for whatever reason works really well for me. I've tried them all and keep going back to 2 piece balls because I score better with them. They were a Father's Day gift and played them to keep the kids happy and haven't looked back.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I think it's a huge mistake for a serious golfer to not play the same ball in season.

Doesn't really matter which one - pick one, any one as long as it's the same. There are subtle differences between each brand even if the models are similar.

It eliminates the variables.

The difference between a premium and non premium is functional spin around the greens. You will not be able to play the same shots with a Pinnacle as with a Tp5.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

My Summer ball is the Srixon Q Star Tour.........nice action around the green and good distance off the tee. Besides they were $20/dozen.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

I'm sorta like you, and usually game a mixture of balls. I'm going to try and change that and dedicate myself to playing one brand. I had a great round with the Vice Pro last night, so this may be the beginning of that dedication.

Do you feel the great play was significantly influenced by that ball?  This is what I really struggle with; I can play a great round with an Top Flite or a lousy round with a ProV1 and vice-versa.  

I think it's a huge mistake for a serious golfer to not play the same ball in season.

Doesn't really matter which one me - pick one, any one as long as it's the same. There are subtle differences between each brand even if the models are similar.

It eliminates the variables.

The difference between a premium and non premium is functional spin around the greens. You will not be able to play the same shots with a Pinnacle as with a Tp5.

Perhaps it's simply more that my game is not at a level where things like spin on the green is a factor.  My approach shots tend to bounce once and stop; usually just behind and to the right side of the divot.  I was told years ago that Pinnacle balls were death for persimmon woods... old wise tale?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I have tried different balls, I keep going back to the Tour BXS.

Best ball for my wedge play, and feels great off the putter.

• Like 2

:ping-small:  Driver G425 Max 9*
:ping-small:   3 wood G425 Max

:callaway-small: Maverik Irons 4i to AW  Recoil r flex
 :taylormade-small: MG2 black 50 54 58 Recoil Smacwrap r                              

:taylormade-small: FCG #7 

:taylormade-small: TP5x 2021

Do you feel the great play was significantly influenced by that ball? This is what I really struggle with; I can play a great round with an Top Flite or a lousy round with a ProV1 and vice-versa?

Not saying the ball made me play well, but I didn't really have any complaints with it. However, it was my first round using that particular model, so only time will tell how much I end up liking it.

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

I prefer to play the same model ball every round to eliminate of if the many variables associated with playing golf. If I switchbtabds it's for a ball that is quite similar in performance/design.

Only time I change the type of ball is in cooler temps when I switch to a lower compression ball

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Ive been enjoying the TP5x recently. But have tried Vice Pro, maxfli softfli, and volvik all this year. I really like the matte finish of the maxfli and volvik but I have been playing better with the tp5x. I could just be coincidence or maybe I just feel more confident with the tp5x. Who knows, go with what works for you.

• Like 2

:cobra-small: F8 Driver - Project X Even Flow Blue

:callaway-small:  Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

:callaway-small:  Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

:titelist-small:  818 H1 21* hybrid- Project X Even Flow Blue

:taylormade-small: M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

:cleveland-small: RTX3-CB 55*

:ping-small:  Sigma G B-60

:taylormade-small: TP5X balls

:travis-mathew-1:

I played around with different balls all spring. I just cant pull myself away from Prov1s. The feel and spin around the greens work for me. I will try the new Snells as i loved last years minus the feel around the green which i hear is improved.

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I've always been a Titleist guy.  Have used the Pro V1 since it was introduced, but our Pro is trying to get me to change to Srixon.  Srixons are OK but I really didn't like them in the wind.  I've toyed with the Titleist AVX but have been playing poorly, so I felt it wasn't a fair tryout.  Took a couple of days off from playing, went to the range and worked on some things my Pro wants me to correct in my swing.  (eliminate lateral movement and have "knuckles down" and impact.)

So I played today with the AVX and hit it great!!  It is consistently 5-10 yards longer than anything I've been playing and there is plenty of spin around the greens ( not quite like the Pro V1 but very good)     

Now the question!!??  Was it the ball today or have the lessons and things I've been working on finally started to positively impact my game??  By the way, shot 74  (par 70), after a long string of rounds in the 80's

Jim

• Like 2

I also will quite literally play with anything, but prefer the Bridgestone Tour B RX (or B330 RX).  I was fit to this ball with barbajo at Bridgestone in GA.  Lately I have been playing the Vice Pro +, and LOVE IT, especially at the price point.

• Like 1

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I have evolved from my early beginnings last year and have been learning what balls are worth buying and playing.

I have been mostly playing Callaway SuperSofts but think it might be time to move on. I do like the concept of playing one ball and eliminating a variable. I got about 2 more cases to get through before I can justify a buying something new... or do I try out a set of Titleist DT Solos I got a while ago and never used?

• Like 1

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

Chrome soft Truvis, although I am liking the Snell reds.

I don't like the price of the new chrome softs, but I like the ball. I want to try the Vice balls, but there still 35 a dozen so it's not that different.

• Like 2

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Like I've said many times before here in the forum; I play several balls off and on. I have two requirements. The ball must be white and have a urethane cover. The ones I typically rotate are Titleist PV, Snell MTB, MG Tour C4, Ksig, and Chrome Soft. Like the gentleman that started this topic - I can successfully play and score well with any of these balls. I recall many years ago doing through the exercise of testing several balls around the greens and evaluating the characteristics of each. My thinking at the time was that I might be able to find a ball that gives me slight edge or advantage and therefore carding lower scores. It didn't work out that way really. I found all of the top balls I tested performed pretty much equally well. I'm not a high spin* player with my wedges.

I also most definitely recall after buying new wedges how all of these balls performed. This may sound counter intuitive to most but I actually prefer my wedges to be worn a bit and here's why. I like to play chips and pitches lower to the ground and run-out. When my wedges were brand new I remember getting aggravated at times as a shot landed on the green and bit hard. Little run-out/release and it would cost me. Didn't matter which ball I was playing. They each did the same thing. My new wedges at the time were aggressively gripping the cover and creating too much spin for my liking. A lot of the guys I regularly play with thought it was impressive how I was able to stop the ball. But not to me. I was having to adjust and relearn my normal technique to allow for the added spin my wedges produced.

Lately I've been playing the Ksig and consistently carding some of my lowest rounds this season. (2-3 over). My wedges are three years old and perform great from all distances. Is it the ball, the wedges, or the player?

I'll eliminate the ball. They're all good and perform equally well IMO.

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Perhaps it's simply more that my game is not at a level where things like spin on the green is a factor. My approach shots tend to bounce once and stop; usually just behind and to the right side of the divot. I was told years ago that Pinnacle balls were death for persimmon woods... old wise tale?

Spin around the green is not about full iron shots into the greens. That's a different matter that tends to be dependent upon the conditions of the courses that you play. Premium balls are generally designed to increase launch and carry on mid irons not spin.

BTW I played pinnacles with a persimmon driver and never had an issue - and I was long back then (relatively speaking).

With all due respect the ball you play matters although there are lots of good choices. At this point opinions that say other wise need to produce real data because it's pretty much a closed question. Premium balls spin better from 100 yards in and far better around the green thereby providing a range of shots not available with other balls. It's an established fact. So non data based opinions about the golf ball in a forum that anyone might read provide poor advice for other golfers. That's why I'm writing this reply.

Of course you can shoot a better score with a topflite than a Pro VI if you don't hit the ball well when you're playing the Pro VI. The question is which ball gives you the best chance to shoot the lowest possible score as you stand on the first tee.

If it's not the Pro VI or more likely some derivative there of that saves you money - it's time to take a lesson, go to the practice area and work on the short game.

Just do yourselves all a favor - pick a quality ball of some type and play it exclusively the rest of the season. It gives you the rarest of all things in golf - a constant - heck while you're at it pick a brand of tees and the same glove too. Those are all things that you can control. Why create variables that you don't need to have there?

Do your ball testing in the late fall after the season is over and then audition your favorites for next season's gamer in the Spring.

• Like 5

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.