TESTERS WANTED! ×

Interesting History about your Clubs

fixyurdivot

My Ping B61 putter was won in a work tournament in 1988.  My MacGregor Jack Nicklaus SW was my Dad's who introduced me to the game when we lived in Florida in the early 60's. I feel his presence every time I shuffle my feet getting a stance in a trap.

Do any of your clubs have some unique history associated with them?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Great story - I would forever treasure that wedge too.

Not much story to my clubs except my SCOR 60. If you look up MGS tour staff contest thread it is the one hold over from the mother load that I won there.

And I finished second!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So, not my current gamer, but the putter I played in high school, Ping Anser X, my then girlfriend and now wife purchased for me. It's the only club I cannot part ways with.

Callaway Rouge SZ 9 Driver

Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

Nothing as sentimental as your stories.

Let's see, until a few weeks ago, I had Titleist 980F 17* fairway metal that was old enough to be a driver. Although it was 16 years old, it could not pass the test.  :lol:

I have a Scotty Cameron Big Sur putter, that began life as a broomstick putter. It had a 2 piece shaft Scotty used, and I bought it cheap because coupling in the shaft needed to be reworked. I sent it back and they sent a new shaft of the same design and soon it had the same problem. so I bought a new shaft for some other putter and cut it to the length I wanted, and then milled the top of the putter to change the lie angle. It is now a 34" regular putter. It's very heavy but I love the way the ball feels off of it.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

My Ping B61 putter was won in a work tournament in 1988.  My MacGregor Jack Nicklaus SW was my Dad's who introduced me to the game when we lived in Florida in the early 60's. I feel his presence every time I shuffle my feet getting a stance in a trap.

Do any of your clubs have some unique history associated with them?

Not really as far as my gamers go, but I do have a set of clubs I will bust out on occasion that belonged to my grandfather (on my Mom's side) and given to my father, and then passed on to me. They aren't as old as you'd think given that kind of history, but I treasure them as if they were given to me by Old Tom Morris himself. They were the first set I ever owned and learned to play with as a kid - MacGregor Nicklaus/Golden Bear blades, a Northwestern persimmon driver and Wilson persimmon 3 & 5 Wood.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

My set of clubs is sitting untouched in same corner of garage for past 9 years.My medical conditions make playing golf this last decade impossible at this present time.Cant wait until the day I can pick up and swing a club again.

Keep it in the short stuff

I suppose if I had one it'd be my H-B Louisville persimmon driver. I went out many many moons ago with some guys to play a rag-tag muni. We were all hackers pretty much. For some reason I didn't have a driver in my bag. Yeah... go figure. Anyway, as we were paying for our green fee I noticed a large trash can over in the corner filled with beater clubs for sale. So I rummaged around and pulled out the driver and bought it. It was ugly and beat up at the time. Several years later and as I had begun to play more I found a guy that did refinishing and had him redo it for me. Boy, was the money well spent. The Driver turned out beautiful and still is. It's sitting here right now in my office looking good. I played this driver for many years with good success and a lot of old golf memories attached to it. It was the last wooden driver I played prior to metal making the scene.

IMG_20180704_075223529.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I kept a 4,7,PW acushnet from my first set that I purchased from a friend. I still love to swing them and occasionally throw them in a Sunday bag and get them dirty. Love em

My set of clubs is sitting untouched in same corner of garage for past 9 years.My medical conditions make playing golf this last decade impossible at this present time.Cant wait until the day I can pick up and swing a club again.

I'm liking the last sentence.  Here's to your quick return to the links!

I have several

1962 FC Macgregors--- They were my old man's he got them in 62 when he was on Mac Staff--- The one set he never got rid of even though he switched Staffs 2 more times before retiring (Wilson and Ram) Now he did not play them a lot when he switched but they stayed in his closet in a old canvas Spalding bag. Those were the irons he played his last round with me. I kinda got a chuckle that day when he had them in the Red and White Ram Staff bag. Still have them still play them at times even though those old stiff Pro Pel shafts are getting harder and harder to swing

1965 Macgregor Ironmaster putter--- Given to me by a friend of the old man's when I was a sophomore in high school. For about 6 weeks I was hot as a firecracker with that thing then it cooled off and I went to an Anser. He was a career Firefighter and died in the 80s of cancer. He was a Mac nut and instilled the love of Macgregor clubs in me. His name was Kenny and I named that putter Kenny in his honor. It goes out in the 62 Macs on some special vintage rounds.

I have a lot of clubs  that have special meaning to me that I have had for a long time 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I am about to (as soon as it arrives) replace my 20 year old Big Sur putter with a 2018 Select Newport 2. Since it hasn't happened I don't think we can call it history, but I was chosen to do the review of the Mizuno JPX EZ Forged irons. They were everything the were supposed to be, and were beautiful in the bag. I just didn't like the offset, and in the end I just didn't play my best with them. I'm sure the problem was with me more than them.

I also didn't feel right profiting off them, so they sat here doing nothing. Then while sitting around recuperating I decided to trade these in (along with other clubs I have bought) and get something that I would keep and play all the time, and still remind me of MGS and the honor I was given by being a tester. 

Thus, although I do not need a new putter and my other one is working fine, make that other ones are working fine, I am now awaiting my new putter thanks to MGS and their sponsor Global Golf. Since I have had 1 of my gamer putters for 20 years and another for 10 this is a fair tribute to them.

Thanks again, MGS.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

The oldest current club in my bag is a Ping B60 putter that I bought in Virginia at wholesale prices from the club I was working for at the time.  I doubt I'll ever pull that putter from my bag, because putting is all mental, and all the technology in the world can't help me putt any better.  Well, unless you want to get me one of those putters Rodney Dangerfield employed in Caddyshack anyway.

Several old items still have a home in my house.  I use an old Doral Eastern Open staff bag that my Dad used back in the 80's when he worked for Marriott, who helped sponsor that tournament.  Somehow I inherited that bag after Dad stopped using it.  I keep a bunch of old clubs in it that I either can't sell, or just won't part with (yet).

Under the same vein, I keep an old set of Ping Eye2 irons that my Dad gave me to play with when I was in my 20's.  Also with that set is a Ping 1 iron that they don't even make anymore.  Not many 1 irons in existence anymore, but I remember being able to hit that thing better than a driver at times.

The scary thing about my old irons is that I have tried to go back and hit them from time to time, and I guess with all of the technology and change in how clubs are made, that I just don't hit those clubs very good at all anymore, and they don't hit the ball as far, distance wise.  But parting with them would be like losing a family member to me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

The scary thing about my old irons is that I have tried to go back and hit them from time to time, and I guess with all of the technology and change in how clubs are made, that I just don't hit those clubs very good at all anymore, and they don't hit the ball as far, distance wise.  But parting with them would be like losing a family member to me.

This is partly why I don't want to upgrade from my PE2's... for fear I'll have two sets of irons that I can't hit for s***  :lol:

The oldest current club in my bag is a Ping B60 putter that I bought in Virginia at wholesale prices from the club I was working for at the time.  I doubt I'll ever pull that putter from my bag, because putting is all mental, and all the technology in the world can't help me putt any better.  Well, unless you want to get me one of those putters Rodney Dangerfield employed in Caddyshack anyway.

Several old items still have a home in my house.  I use an old Doral Eastern Open staff bag that my Dad used back in the 80's when he worked for Marriott, who helped sponsor that tournament.  Somehow I inherited that bag after Dad stopped using it.  I keep a bunch of old clubs in it that I either can't sell, or just won't part with (yet).

Under the same vein, I keep an old set of Ping Eye2 irons that my Dad gave me to play with when I was in my 20's.  Also with that set is a Ping 1 iron that they don't even make anymore.  Not many 1 irons in existence anymore, but I remember being able to hit that thing better than a driver at times.

Now remember those old eye2s do not have the lofts of modern clubs and the shafts are not nearly as good as modern shafts. But there are still a lot of folks that still play them like they are. Even though I am not a Ping man I will concur they are a timeless classic design 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

My gamers don't have much history, as I just got them about two months ago.

When my grandfather passed 17 years ago, I took his old Titleist Box Blades and his persimmon woods. This wasn't the set he was playing when he passed (that's the Hogan Edges that my uncle took and started playing), but it was the set he played when I finally beat him for the first time my junior year in high school. I can't bear to part with them.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived