TESTERS WANTED! ×

3w shaft in Driver

kingcscott

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I often carry my "Midi-wood", It is an R9 SuperDeep set to 12* and I have it on an 85 gram Fujikura Motore F1 from my R11 3 wood (43"). Incidentally, I also have the R11 3 wood 14* on a 65 gram Motore F1 (45"). I have done the same thing with the R11 driver but that white head looks huge on the shaft where the R9 does not.

I hit them both 230-240 yards off the tee. My driver distance is usually about 255 but occasionally I will make a proper swing and get more. Thus the Midi wood arrangement. This is perfect for a couple of holes on my course.

The R9 of course offers more forgiveness than the 3 wood, but I can't hit it off the deck. The other part of that story is I have hit the 3 wood off the deck and it went straight and 240 yards. However, more commonly it goes less distance and an honest assessment tells me I am better off hitting my 3 hybrid off the deck than a 3 wood 9 out of 10 times. But that one time is enough to make you pull it out of the bag. Which is why most of the time I don't put it in the bag.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Who cares about us. What does your fitter think?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You can accomplish two thing by choking down an inch or 2 on your driver, make the shaft play stiffer, and at a 3 wood length. I've been choking down on my driver all summer, and it is already plays at 44.5, so I'm anywhere between 42 and 43”. Smoking it.

You can accomplish two thing by choking down an inch or 2 on your driver, make the shaft play stiffer, and at a 3 wood length. I've been choking down on my driver all summer, and it is already plays at 44.5, so I'm anywhere between 42 and 43”. Smoking it.

The top inch and a half of my driver shaft is broken and flopping around which makes me choke down an inch and a half. This has helped my diving immensely. I could get it fixed but I actually like it forcing me to choke down.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Who cares about a fitter? They are generally in air conditioned buildings and not actually on the course. He asked if anyone had done this.

It is very simple to do now with the shaft sleeves. I have put FM shafts in hybrids and drivers, and driver shafts in FM and Hybrids, my hybrid shafts won't fit into the driver, probably because they are .370 vs .350 or .335. 

Driver shaft in the hybrid was too long but not so with the FM in the hybrid. Although, I don't play them that way. I prefer the shorter shafts in the driver vs the longer shafts in the other clubs.

The top inch and a half of my driver shaft is broken and flopping around which makes me choke down an inch and a half. This has helped my diving immensely. I could get it fixed but I actually like it forcing me to choke down.

Measure your wrist to floor. I found this that says I need a 44” Driver. I'm going to go ahead and say it is correct. I could probably get into a 43-43.5” and be even more confident and accurate.

IMG_3418.PNG

Measure your wrist to floor. I found this that says I need a 44” Driver. I'm going to go ahead and say it is correct. I could probably get into a 43-43.5” and be even more confident and accurate.

attachicon.gifIMG_3418.PNG

Size doesn't matter.......or does it

Just hit what you're comfortable with that ends in the short grass.

Good luck

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

IMG_3418.PNG

Thank you for the chart. It says I need a 44.5''. My current driver is 46''. Then apparently I got lucky with how much the handle broke and have been right in not fixing it. I am hitting the ball longer and much much more accurately.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Just had my instructor do this to my driver, I can say I didnt lose much distance (maybe 5 yds tops) but I am hitting more fairways. He explained that by using the shorter shaft, Im more likely to hit it center face which causes the ball to go farther than hitting the outside edges which use the gear effect (way to smart for me) to straighten the ball out

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

So many people could save headache, money and frustration by doing this and understanding what works for them. If one wants to tinker after that the fine but at least it would be a better educated tinker and more cost effective.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

@RickyBobby - exactly

@RR - You know enough about equipment to fit yourself and additionally you have a unique swing - you are one of the rare people who might be better off fitting himself.  I have a friend who falls into the same category with his golf swing.  He's a very good athlete who learned the game late in life - lessons would be a debacle for him.

I'll stand by my original statement but will add this since it's very clear that the OP is bound and determined to do this on his own.

The 3 wood shaft will be shorter and heavier.  The driver head was designed and weighted with the original shaft in it and at its current length so you will change the swing weight of the club.  For many people that's meaningless but for some it's a radical change. 

The fitter survey whose citation upset a number of people in another thread stated that half of all golfers play a driver with too long a shaft.  So at least you have a chance of being in that half and using the 3 wood shaft is not permanent so you could always switch back.

Or you could go to a fitter who will get your driver set up and tuned properly including to the swing weight that you prefer once the shaft weight, length and type is determined.

More than likely that will include a shorter shaft but wouldn't it be nice to know for sure via a professional instead of relying on the opinions being offered here from people who have never seen you swing - albeit a fairly informed group?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@RickyBobby - exactly

@RR - You know enough about equipment to fit yourself and additionally you have a unique swing - you are one of the rare people who might be better off fitting himself. I have a friend who falls into the same category with his golf swing. He's a very good athlete who learned the game late in life - lessons would be a debacle for him.

I'll stand by my original statement but will add this since it's very clear that the OP is bound and determined to do this on his own.

The 3 wood shaft will be shorter and heavier. The driver head was designed and weighted with the original shaft in it and at its current length so you will change the swing weight of the club. For many people that's meaningless but for some it's a radical change.

The fitter survey whose citation upset a number of people in another thread stated that half of all golfers play a driver with too long a shaft. So at least you have a chance of being in that half and using the 3 wood shaft is not permanent so you could always switch back.

Or you could go to a fitter who will get your driver set up and tuned properly including to the swing weight that you prefer once the shaft weight, length and type is determined.

More than likely that will include a shorter shaft but wouldn't it be nice to know for sure via a professional instead of relying on the opinions being offered here from people who have never seen you swing - albeit a fairly informed group?

Great post. The last paragraph is spot on.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The other part of that story is I have hit the 3 wood off the deck and it went straight and 240 yards. However, more commonly it goes less distance and an honest assessment tells me I am better off hitting my 3 hybrid off the deck than a 3 wood 9 out of 10 times. But that one time is enough to make you pull it out of the bag. Which is why most of the time I don't put it in the bag.

I may have to alter this statement. I have had the opportunity to play practice rounds the past couple of weeks, and while I've been carrying the R9 during money rounds, I've been hitting the 3 wood during the practice rounds and am smoking this thing with the driver shaft in it. It plays about 44 inches long and today I hit it twice about 240 straight down the middle of the fairway. So this number for the past two weeks is more like 7 of 10 times off the deck have been awesome.

But this does not answer your question. It is the opposite.

This is a good post. It addresses OP's question.

@RickyBobby - exactly

@RR - You know enough about equipment to fit yourself and additionally you have a unique swing - you are one of the rare people who might be better off fitting himself.  I have a friend who falls into the same category with his golf swing.  He's a very good athlete who learned the game late in life - lessons would be a debacle for him.

I'll stand by my original statement but will add this since it's very clear that the OP is bound and determined to do this on his own.

The 3 wood shaft will be shorter and heavier.  The driver head was designed and weighted with the original shaft in it and at its current length so you will change the swing weight of the club.  For many people that's meaningless but for some it's a radical change. 

The fitter survey whose citation upset a number of people in another thread stated that half of all golfers play a driver with too long a shaft.  So at least you have a chance of being in that half and using the 3 wood shaft is not permanent so you could always switch back.

More than likely that will include a shorter shaft but wouldn't it be nice to know for sure via a professional instead of relying on the opinions being offered here from people who have never seen you swing - albeit a fairly informed group?

This is not a good answer. Obviously, he wanted other people's opinion.

Also, the R9 SuperDeep is from an era before the sub 60 gram driver shafts. I am using 75g and 85g shafts. I know for a fact that my Titleist 980F 17* is a beast with a 75g or heavier shaft. Install a 59g shaft and it becomes unplayable.

When I had a Callaway driver + 3 wood I swapped the shafts as an experiment. I did see slightly tighter dispersion but I also tend to grip down a lot on my driver for more control anyways. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

... Keep in mind that if you are using a 3 wood shaft from a 3 wood, it has been tipped to accommodate the heavier head. For some it will make little difference. But considering many should be playing a softer flex in their driver, this can make the shaft play too stiff in their driver. If it is an uncut shaft then obviously there is no need to tip and can absolutely be put in a shorter driver, something many of us that have taught or fit golfers highly recommend. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

From that video I'd fit the fitter right in between those two shaft lengths. :)

Which brings us back to Do or (dough) which is always to go get fit and find out what shaft length is best for you rather than Willy nilly lopping of length from your driver shaft.

At least trying the three wood shaft choice avoids that. You could always go back. Of course it also avoids finding out if there may be an even better shaft/head option out there.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

From that video I'd fit the fitter right in between those two shaft lengths. :)

Which brings us back to Do or (dough) which is always to go get fit and find out what shaft length is best for you rather than Willy nilly lopping of length from your driver shaft.

At least trying the three wood shaft choice avoids that. You could always go back. Of course it also avoids finding out if there may be an even better shaft/head option out there.

Rev is so right about getting fit.

When RP58 started his original thread on this subject, it encouraged me to give it a try and I did with immediate positive results. Indeed I gave up some distance, but my accuracy improved and that gave me better chances to score. I wound up "lopping" an inch from my driver shaft (butt end) and basically had similar results, but wanted better. So I went and got fitted for a new driver and several departures from my original were made; stiff vs. mid flex and standard vs. mid-size grip and here I am. Since that fitting, I've changed all of my grips back to standard and feel that I have way more control than ever before (generally) across my whole bag.

I think the biggest take-away I got from this experiment was the fact that small tweaks that are correct and are give positive results can certainly improve consistency, but a proper fitting will yield a higher percentage of success.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Archived