Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Practice drills

Dylan17Patel

Currently I am focusing on maintaining the wrist cock until my hands get down to my thigh. I do this at home and am trying to incorporate it into my preshot.

I am trying to get the feel that my left leg and hip are pulling me through the swing and I am holding my right wrist in the fully cocked position through the ball. This is possible in slow motion but impossible to hole it at full speed. However, it can make a 40 yard difference in driver performance.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I always try to maintain good posture, alignment, balance, and a smooth tempo. If I try to swing too hard; I lose distance, ball striking, and get off balance.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I pick a row of targets and start at the bottom of the bag.  Every shot is a contest.  Did I hit it within 10 yards of my target or not?  If I missed, I move down a club.  If I hit it, I move up a club.  I widen it to 20 yards when I get to my hybrid.  There are many practice sessions where I never get to my driver, and some where I have trouble getting past a seven iron.  I figure that if I can't hit a seven to within 30 feet, I have no business trying to hit anything longer.

After doing some reading, I've thought up a new twist - no short-siding.  So I'll pick my target and decide whether it's the left or right edge of the green.  If I'm on the wrong side of the target, no matter how close, it's a miss and I go down a club.

I can't hit the same club over and over again on the range; I get bored out of my mind.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

No not really. Anymore that is. I used to grind on my game working on this, that, and the other and it wore me out quite frankly. Anymore I just focus on playing my game. And I'm know playing the best golf of my life. I believe too many guys (which included me at one time) get all hung up of various aspects of the swing. "Are my hands in position, are my shoulders & hips rotated, is the shaft leaning, are my wrists cocked properly, are my feet in position, is my head moving, blah, blah blah". The object of golf is to get the ball from the teeing ground into the hole ahead of you in as few strokes as possible. That's it !!!! Once you are able to move the ball effectively and manage your game better you're scoring will drop and your enjoyment will improve.  

Sure if you have some fundamental/basic swing flaws those need to be dealt with. But I recommend you practice some and play as much as possible. More playing and less practice. Like Palmer suggested - Swing your Swing.

And one last suggestion - always play for something. Don't play "for fun" as some like to call it. Put something on the line each time you play. Make a wager - Be it a $2 Nassau or 10 cent skins or a beer after the match. But play for something. And yes... it's fun!!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I pick a row of targets and start at the bottom of the bag. Every shot is a contest. Did I hit it within 10 yards of my target or not? If I missed, I move down a club. If I hit it, I move up a club. I widen it to 20 yards when I get to my hybrid. There are many practice sessions where I never get to my driver, and some where I have trouble getting past a seven iron. I figure that if I can't hit a seven to within 30 feet, I have no business trying to hit anything longer.

After doing some reading, I've thought up a new twist - no short-siding. So I'll pick my target and decide whether it's the left or right edge of the green. If I'm on the wrong side of the target, no matter how close, it's a miss and I go down a club.

I can't hit the same club over and over again on the range; I get bored out of my mind.

That is a really good drill. I am going to try this next time I am on the range. Thank you.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have an office suite and the study part has two large mirrors in it. I will often make swings in front of the mirrors with a heavy book (it functions like a medicine ball). I have a swing training device at home that I swing 3 or 4 times a week.

At the range I try to work on Tempo. Sometimes I carry that to the course. When I do, I play well.

I saw that the OP broke 90 for the first time the other day. Good work!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Are there any practice drills that you use every time you go to the range or stuff you do at home to help with your game?

I start every range session, warm up or otherwise, hitting half lob wedge shots with my 58* wedge.  If there is not a target at about 60 yards, I'll hit a few balls to what I think is about 60 yards, and then hit another 20-30 balls to where I hit my first few shots.

I play in a weekly scramble with golfers of all ability levels, and it's amazing to me how many golfers just cannot hit a 60 yard shot.  When we hit that shot so much, it's seems nonsensical to me to not get good at it.

Every time I hit the range it's also amazing to me how many guys are just banging drivers.  Not a complete waste of time, but close to it.  As long as I hit the fairway, what does it matter otherwise with driver?  I can't score with that club.  But if I can master the half lob wedge and chipping shots, my handicap has gone down rapidly to where I am now.

Now, if I could only putt.   -_-

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I don't like hitting balls on the range, but there is a time and place for it.  I assume that the OP is talking about just practice at a range instead of a warmup before a round.  I like @GSwag's post.  When I go to the range, it's to work on ONE specific issue or shot. If I do more than that, I get burnt out.  I used to spend more time on the range hitting a lot of balls using all my clubs, and frankly I got nothing out of it other than getting tired, so I'll side with @PlaidJacket on that.

However, I do like to spend a lot of my practice time in the short game area; pitching, chipping and putting.  I feel that the more time I spend there, the better chance I have to score better on the course, YMMV.  It's a time when I can be creative with shot making, and I also understand what shots I do not have in the bag... yet.

I spend a lot of time working on pitch shots from various lies and distances.  Yes, I use range balls but that's because they are available and I am working on the strike of the shot, not the results on the green at this point.  To do that I use my gamer balls that I have pulled from play.  I could do that practice on the range, but we have a nice short game practice area and it's less crowded... Gee, I wonder why that is?  lol.  I also spend about 30-45 minutes on the putting green working on club path and distance control.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have an office suite and the study part has two large mirrors in it. I will often make swings in front of the mirrors with a heavy book (it functions like a medicine ball). I have a swing training device at home that I swing 3 or 4 times a week.

At the range I try to work on Tempo. Sometimes I carry that to the course. When I do, I play well.

I saw that the OP broke 90 for the first time the other day. Good work!

Thanks man been working hard for the past year and it finally clicked!

I pick a row of targets and start at the bottom of the bag.  Every shot is a contest.  Did I hit it within 10 yards of my target or not?  If I missed, I move down a club.  If I hit it, I move up a club.  I widen it to 20 yards when I get to my hybrid.  There are many practice sessions where I never get to my driver, and some where I have trouble getting past a seven iron.  I figure that if I can't hit a seven to within 30 feet, I have no business trying to hit anything longer.

After doing some reading, I've thought up a new twist - no short-siding.  So I'll pick my target and decide whether it's the left or right edge of the green.  If I'm on the wrong side of the target, no matter how close, it's a miss and I go down a club.

I hit a small bucket tonight playing the no short-siding game, and I couldn't get past my 8 iron.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived