TESTERS WANTED! ×

Former Ping Eye 2 Players

fixyurdivot

If you are a former PE2 player, what irons did you switch to, why, and how did the change work out?  I've been sitting on the fence about changing my irons and need some MySpyGolf Agents intervention.  :)   

My background and details:

57 years old and been playing the game since about age 7.  Best formal handicap was 11 and now about 14. 

Tend to play a soft fade and hit my irons very close to most distance charts for a 98 mph swing speed.

I was "fitted" for my PE2's which I purchased in 1988 and have played with

since.  I say "fitted" as back then it was simply measurement and watching some shots into the net.  This past winter in Yuma, I attended a Ping Demo and was fitted for the G400's.  Interestingly enough, the fitter said my green dots with the regular zz-lite shafts, are still correct today.  I had been wondering about this for some time.  That fitting, likewise, did not evaluate ball flight data - just on the range.

Having only recently upgraded from my GBB driver and seeing positive results, it now has my curiosity as to whether a change in irons would improve my game. It's not that I don't hit my irons well (I do), but more the thought that new technology might make further improvement.

Then I read quite a few comments from folks who moved from PE2's (and other older gen clubs) only to either come back to them or see minimal, if any, improvement.  Have changes in iron design/technology been significant - like that of drivers?

I am convinced that without a ball flight analysis, between my PE2's and replacement candidates, it is a waste of time. Am I wrong in this thinking?

So here I sit, teetering on the fence...

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Not former Eye 2 playet, but hetw is my insight.

Played Eye 2s for years and live them enough I own 2 sets. I went in ft or a fitting a month ago to get new urons. As soon as he saw my CV lubs he saud "unless you can hit blades, we are nit going to make an impeovement", We hit some balls with my set and a few others and noticed no real improvement. I walked out buying Vokey wedges.

I do think that there are some irons out there that are easier to hit, but doubt you will find more foregivness.

I really need 1/2 inch over and a couple degrees upright aa im am playing standard black.

If you are serious about your game and can justify the funds, Id say go for it. I will buy a set come in the fall and work on them over the wintee.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I have a set of PE2's sitting in my bedroom.  I retired them in 2003'ish and bought a set of Ping i3+ irons, which I just retired last year and upgraded to the Ping G irons.  The only reason I retired the i3+ irons was (well, 2 reasons) that they were non-conforming for tournaments, and I took a long break from the game, and during that time, my swing path had changed, which was causing my blue dot i3+ irons to hook dramatically.  I was able to get them bent to fix the lie angle issue, but the non-conforming issue was always on my mind, so I upgraded.

All that being said, I am not all that happy with the G irons I bought, but once you sink that sort of money into them (unless money is no object) you are kind of set with them for another decade or so.  Now in saying I am not all that happy, I say that from a relative perspective.  When I mishit one of the G irons I know it instantly as it has this nasty clanking sound when it's not flush.  I absolutely hate that noise.  But my game is at a level where I have learned to hit just about anything good, so I can score really well with my G irons, regardless of a clanking noise or not.  It just bugs me is all.  They are REALLY solid clubs.

Outside of that, I experimented with a couple of newer things and due to an error on my part, I bought a Ping i200 pitching wedge, and absolutely love this club.  If I had it to do over again, I would get the i200 irons for the complete set.  But hold on to your horses before you switch out, because Ping is said to be coming out with the i700 irons soon, and if I were you, I would hold fast, and wait for those babies to be available.

I can testify that I love my G400 driver, hybrid and 4 crossover.  Absolutely love the look and feel of these clubs, especially when struck pure.  But they recently came out with the G700 irons, and on a whim I replaced my U wedge and S wedge with the G700 versions, and man, I am in love with those two wedges.  The G700 is absolutely beautiful to look at, and the feel of this club is like nothing I have hit before, and is beyond impressive.

So my advice, as a lifelong Ping player and former PE2 man, is test out the G700 irons while you wait for the i700 irons to become available for testing.  And I will tell you in closing that the i3+ irons have a much better feel that the G series irons.  Like butter when solid contact is made.  I believe you'll like the feel of the i200 or i700 irons much more then you would the G400 or G700.  But try them all and see what works for you.

Last suggestion would be to buy like the 7 iron of whatever you are thinking of going with and just hit that one club for 90 days or so and see how you feel after that testing period.  If you aren't completely satisfied at least you aren't out more than what that one club costs you.

Good luck!

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Ping Eye 2's are an awesome club. Note, I am using present tense. More modern clubs have specs that are a club longer, for instance many modern PW's are 45* or even 42* where the Eye 2 9 iron is 45*. So if you get new clubs you will be hitting a 9 iron where before you were hitting an 8. Also, Ping Eye 2's have the wear rate of an anvil or a railroad iron. They were never very pretty but no matter how many times you hit them they look like new.

I played PE2's until maybe 2004. I bought a set of Hogan Edge CFT's. I wanted to get away from the offset because I was hooking the ball. Of course, I was still hooking the ball this morning playing Mizuno MP68's with no offset at all, so what good did it do me.

I later changed to Titleist AP2's the first year they came out and the wear on them was astronomical compared to the titanium face of the Hogans and the Adamantium-Vibranium alloy (Captain America's Shield) or whatever the Pings are made of.

I've played mainly forged blades or blade like clubs since, but I have often considered buying some PE2's in BeCu because they are so playable and look good also. The PE2 SW of 58* and 18* of bounce is like a golf club with training wheels hitting out of the sand.

As far as whether you should change, that's up to you. The majority of the guys I play with, probably 60-70%  play Ping. None play the PE2's but one guy still plays Ping Zing 2 and another ISI BeNi's all the others play 1 or 2 year old models and love them.

I had some Ping S56's also and they were fine clubs.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• SPY VIP

I bagged my PE2's full time until 2008 (1990-2008) when I got some Nickent forged cavity backs, transition was pretty easy. Only differences I really notice is 2 things: I'm a club longer with modern irons and you can get a smoother fell, but that's not saying the PE2's aren't smooth.

Whether you should change I can't really say. I've recently started using my Eye 2's again in evening rounds and hit em really damn good. Hell I've been striping the 1 iron with no problems. So I can tell you that they still play just as good now as they did when I was a junior.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I fit the bill - a former Ping Eye 2 player who gamed mine for two decades. I'm also a guy who played fairly good golf once, good enough that I could be competitive in regional type tournaments - city and club championships, maybe qualify for a State Amateur Type of player. I'm still reasonably good though my 6.0 handicap index feels like I shoot a billion. Yesterday's 72 in a tournament will bring that down a bit, for a while.

At any not so much fact based here yet so let's try to look at the facts and you decide based on those or not - most people choose not - that's fine it's how I remain competitive even though I shouldn't be. :)

Beyond a doubt the Ping Eye 2 was the most popular iron in the mid 80's both on the market and on Tour.

However a look at its Maltby playability rating reveals that it is not all that forgiving by modern standards. While folks attack OEMs for loft jacking a larger part of that game is that irons launch higher today and so less loft is needed to keep things under control. The Eye 2's lofts are significantly less than modern lofts so you will give away distance and accuracy for certain.

Also the Eye 2 is non-confirming for many events if you wish to play tournament golf at a higher level.

As to why I changed the answer was simple. It was 2006 and I was tired of driving it past guys in tournaments only to have them hit shorter irons into the green. I was convinced that the irons were dead (they weren't they were just a club and a half shorter than clubs on the market). I finally bought a set of Nicklaus Irons and played well with them but they were stolen and replaced with Cobras that I didn't like so much.

I then (2007) made the dumbest equipment move ever - I went to a demo day, hit a set of Adams Idea Pro muscle backs and traded the Cobras in. At the time I was a 2 and I had no business playing those irons. I get enjoyment out the game either by playing with friends or shooting good scores in competition. Those irons were not going to help with that but they were beautiful to look at - still are - they're in my closet. Remember 65 percent of all golfers need more forgiveness in their irons according to fitters. I was a part of that group with the Adams in my bag.

So I found another set of Nicklaus' Iron Max's with graphite shafts and played great golf with them for the next six years including a shaft change. Getting older I needed something with more help and my teacher fit me into the Wilson C100 which I liked. I won a set of Wilson C200's here but a recent ball fitting suggested a larger platform for the 6 and 7 iron would be helpful for my swing. So I'm currently gaming the G30 with a lighter shaft. They are fine although I need to regrip them.

So what you have to gain is more forgiveness, better accuracy and distance. More than likely you will not like the look of your new irons as well as the Eye 2 and it will take some time to get used to them. You should save a few strokes by making a change if you stick with it but results will vary and you have to be willing to stick with it. Did not give up on something new particularly if you get fit for it.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Also the Eye 2 is non-confirming for many events if you wish to play tournament golf at a higher level.

I don't think that is the case. Ping won a lawsuit back in the 80's, and thus are exempt for the groove rule. Michelson threatened to play them for a protest. I believe he decided not to play them, unless Ping said they would allow them to be ruled non-conforming.

Not that it makes any difference. As a 50+ yo 14 handicap that's not a reason to spend several hundred dollars. He didn't mention that he is looking for a set to get good enough to qualify for something.

I don't think that is the case. Ping won a lawsuit back in the 80's, and thus are exempt for the groove rule. Michelson threatened to play them for a protest. I believe he decided not to play them, unless Ping said they would allow them to be ruled non-conforming.

Not that it makes any difference. As a 50+ yo 14 handicap that's not a reason to spend several hundred dollars. He didn't mention that he is looking for a set to get good enough to qualify for something.

I also am under the impression that the PE2's have been ruled conforming to USGA and PGA (those mfg. prior to 3/31/90).  Doesn't really matter as I have no plans to play in sanctioned tournaments.  Plus, the guys I play with in Yuma during winter have non-conforming  foot wedges.  :)   

Also, the comments about the PE2's being about a club shorter is spot on.  Add to that my tendency to hit high anyway and that can often be a club+ less.  Using the adage that hitting lower irons gets increasingly more difficult, this would by itself seem to be a negative attribute of the PE2's.  

Thoughts about my question regarding ball flight analysis being part of any fitting?  

Good feedback thus far Agents, thanks!

For me the most compelling reasonn to change woukd be to hit stronger lofted clubs.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I played PE2's from the time I was a junior golfer in the mid '90s, through high school, and a few years after until ~2006 or so. I took a ~10year break from playing golf and when I came back a little over a year ago, I was stronger than when I was a kid. Every club went the same distance, and nearly orbiting the moon. I had a crush on the Vapor Pro Combo irons when I saw them a few years before getting back into golf, while doing some work at a course who had a Nike staffer on their payroll. They were obviously not fit since Nike no longer made hardware, but they played decent, and I gained distance back since my shot flattened out -- I actually had gaps now.

This had very little to do with the heads of the irons, and everything to do with the shafts, IMO. So to answer your question about iron head tech, unless you're playing a distance iron, not much has changed and you're unlikely to see a significant difference changing ONLY heads.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Still have a set of my coppers from 1988 or so.Look just as beautiful today as than. And the sand wedge and pitching are easily best I've ever gamed. I'm a club longer with the newer stuff. So not sure I would game the old set again.Was a real solid club back in the day. All the local ‘avid' golfers in the day had a set of pings in the bag.Good ole orange dots for the win !!!!

Keep it in the short stuff

I also am under the impression that the PE2's have been ruled conforming to USGA and PGA (those mfg. prior to 3/31/90).  Doesn't really matter as I have no plans to play in sanctioned tournaments.  Plus, the guys I play with in Yuma during winter have non-conforming  foot wedges.  :)   

Thoughts about my question regarding ball flight analysis being part of any fitting? 

I sorta lost interest USGA Rules, and the forum police would not like the language I use for me to post what I think about most of their rules. And my mother wouldn't like it either. I'm more worried about her. But I think the PGA stepped in or Ping, since they released the new Ping Eye 2 wedge with the conforming grooves, because they could sell new wedges vs have people use their old wedges. But there was an agreement that the pros would not circumvent the new rules. Especially once they found that they really didn't make any difference.

All that aside, it sounds as if you are leaning towards making a change. So make the change. Coming out of PE2's, the newer Pings would be a good place to start.

Regarding ball flight analysis as part of the fitting. Certainly, if you are going to purchase new irons, then get fit and either see the ball flight for yourself or a guarantee that they will make you happy for the bucks you are spending. 

I thought I knew exactly what I needed this year and bought heads (almost new MP64's) and shafts (XP95 S400) separately and assembled them myself. But the shafts were all wrong. They would have been right 2 years ago, but not now. I then installed C Taper Lites (110g S) in them. And today, I played  older MP68's that have C Taper (120g S) and had longer distance and lower flight like I needed. I will play these again tomorrow and decide if I want to change the heads and shafts or wait a while. Since I am my own club fitter guy, I knew he would eventually make me happy.

I sorta lost interest USGA Rules, and the forum police would not like the language I use for me to post what I think about most of their rules. And my mother wouldn't like it either. I'm more worried about her. But I think the PGA stepped in or Ping, since they released the new Ping Eye 2 wedge with the conforming grooves, because they could sell new wedges vs have people use their old wedges. But there was an agreement that the pros would not circumvent the new rules. Especially once they found that they really didn't make any difference.

All that aside, it sounds as if you are leaning towards making a change. So make the change. Coming out of PE2's, the newer Pings would be a good place to start.

Regarding ball flight analysis as part of the fitting. Certainly, if you are going to purchase new irons, then get fit and either see the ball flight for yourself or a guarantee that they will make you happy for the bucks you are spending.

I thought I knew exactly what I needed this year and bought heads (almost new MP64's) and shafts (XP95 S400) separately and assembled them myself. But the shafts were all wrong. They would have been right 2 years ago, but not now. I then installed C Taper Lites (110g S) in them. And today, I played older MP68's that have C Taper (120g S) and had longer distance and lower flight like I needed. I will play these again tomorrow and decide if I want to change the heads and shafts or wait a while. Since I am my own club fitter guy, I knew he would eventually make me happy.

We do share a real “love” for the USGA.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Actually, I've really been teetering more than leaning either way. From the replies here and similar discussions elsewhere, this decision seems to leave a great many folks in a real quandary.  Right now, I think the best argument for changing from the PE2's is being able to hit a higher number iron for the same distance. 

I did find a PGA certified fitter in Bozeman and they include ball flight analysis in their 1 hour/$95 irons fitting. I think I'll start with that as it will provide head to head comparative data.

So I wasn't fortunate enough to have PE2's, from the mid 90's until early 2000's I gamed the Ping Zing blue dots. They were the set I started my golf journey with. Many of my friends played PE2's. But I was a Zing guy! Great clubs. Simple designs.

Callaway Rouge SZ 9 Driver

Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

Randy at Fried Eggs Golf has a great video where he put the Eye 2 up against modern irons using a launch monitor. I'd link it but I'm on my phone.

On well struck shots they pretty much hung right with modern irons. On off center hits, however, the gaps were pretty drastic showing how much more forgiving modern club tech is.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Randy at Fried Eggs Golf has a great video where he put the Eye 2 up against modern irons using a launch monitor. I'd link it but I'm on my phone.

On well struck shots they pretty much hung right with modern irons. On off center hits, however, the gaps were pretty drastic showing how much more forgiving modern club tech is.

Good call Russ!! Here's the link:

Any chance I get to "pimp" Randy at Fried Eggs is a good day!

fixyerdivot, enjoy this. It will maybe shed some light on your journey. Cheers!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Good call Russ!! Here's the link:

Any chance I get to "pimp" Randy at Fried Eggs is a good day!

fixyerdivot, enjoy this. It will maybe shed some light on your journey. Cheers!

Good review, thanks for the link. He seemed a bit surprised that 30+ year old technology matched up so closely.  Thanks @russtopherb for the suggestion.

The guy in the video should have shafted the Eye 2 with the same shaft as the other clubs.

Without all the irons having the same shafts, this video is not worth much. Specifically, the ZZ Lite is a brute of a stiff-rigid shaft, while the Ping AWT is relatively soft.

Also, one of the reasons for the Eye 2/Eye 2+ popularity was its capacity and versatility for playing shots off of a wide range of lies. Playing shots from a level lie synthetic turf mat does not include this relevant factor.

I think it's great he took the time to make a video and raise some question (s) about new vs. old, but because of the shaft differences, and the synthetic mat testing, the video falls short of being especially helpful.

Anyone know if re-shafting PE2's is done very often?  Also, your comment about the zz-lite being a stiff-rigid shaft has me wondering if those are still correct for my average swing speed (98 mph)?  At the Ping Demo, testing the G400's, the fitting spec sheet provided lists "Project X 5.0"  I believe these are "regular" flex?

Actually, I've really been teetering more than leaning either way. From the replies here and similar discussions elsewhere, this decision seems to leave a great many folks in a real quandary. Right now, I think the best argument for changing from the PE2's is being able to hit a higher number iron for the same distance.

I did find a PGA certified fitter in Bozeman and they include ball flight analysis in their 1 hour/$95 irons fitting. I think I'll start with that as it will provide head to head comparative data.

No the best argument is that Eye 2's are not as forgiving as modern irons - even some in the Player's category - check out their playability rating.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I played PE2 with ZZ lite shaft in 80s and 90s.  Loved them.  Then 16 years away from game.  When I came back, I wasn't entirely satisfied with PE2 performance (and offset) as I re-learned to swing and tested other irons.  I picked up Callaway XR pro irons which have served well for 2 years.   Looking to move on from those within next 6 months.  Will look at Pings again.

Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 with Ping Tour 65 stiff 44.5
Wood: Ping G 15 with Ping Tour 80 stiff
Hybrid: Ping G 19 with Ping Tour 90 stiff
Irons: Callaway XR pro 4-A with KBS tour-v 90 stiff
Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54-12 SS, Ping Eye2 SW 57.5 
Putter: Odyssey Versa #1 WBW
Ball: Snell MTB

Grips: Super Stroke S-tech

Shoes: Skechers

I played PE2 with ZZ lite shaft in 80s and 90s.  Loved them.  Then 16 years away from game.  When I came back, I wasn't entirely satisfied with PE2 performance (and offset) as I re-learned to swing and tested other irons.  I picked up Callaway XR pro irons which have served well for 2 years.   Looking to move on from those within next 6 months.  Will look at Pings again.

Sounds like quite a few of us were part of the "Ping Mania" of the 80's. I'm scheduled for a fitting with the outfit in Bozeman next week.  He uses the Foresight Sports Quad Pro system (looks to be a quality system from what I've read) and will perform physical club fit measurements, swing and ball flight data, and key swing adjustment lesson/tips for $95.  He definitely wants me to bring my PE2's to serve as comparative data and is quite confident I will see benefit from newer technology irons.  Stay tuned to see which side of the fence I fall on  :lol:.

Forgot to include this review/endorsement by MGS. 

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-foresight-gcquad-launch-monitor/

I played a set of Ping Eye 2 becu irons for a couple years in the mid 2000's. I always wanted a set so decided to give them a try. Well, with the Microtaper shafts I hit them sky high, just straight up in the air. Didn't work for me.

Now, I also had a set of ISI's last year that were great irons. Those had the JZ stiff shafts which were incredible. Very nice clubs, just too upright for me as I have flattened out my swing a bit.

I think Karsten Solheim is an absolute genius and his clubs are still hold their own nearly 40 years after they were introduced. Quite remarkable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I should also add, take the Ping inFlight online fitting tool as a starting recommendation, not the final destination on what you need. Using It puts me in a white dot 3* upright and +1” irons. Well, I bought a set of white dot ISI's on that recommendation, although at only +1/2” and it did not go well.

I play standard lie at +1/2” and it's perfect for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Right now, I think the best argument for changing from the PE2's is being able to hit a higher number iron for the same distance.

I love the idea of being able to hit a higher number iron the same distance but here is my problem. I still need a club to hit from 120 and 135 and 150 and 165 and etc. As well as a clubs I can hit less than that.

I don't see how it makes any difference what number is on the bottom of the club. As long as it works for you.

Oh wait, someone will say it's easier to hit an 8 iron than a 7 iron, but if both club are the same loft and have the same length shaft what is the difference. Certainly, there are more forgiving irons than the PE2, nowadays. Forgiveness is a valid reason, being able to hit an 8 iron instead of a 7 and then having to add an additional wedge really did nothing to the overall bag.

Not necessarily true.

Remember that the Ping Eye 2/Eye 2+ was the best selling iron of all time. A primary reason for that was the exceptional forgiveness the Eye 2 offered, including its head size, head shape, head weighting distribution, sole size, sole shape etc....

The primary reason the PE2 was the best selling iron of all time was that they originally had no peers. Also, Ping made them in some variant from 1982 to 1999. No doubt they were the most forgiving of the era.

There are a lot of players who either still play Eye 2/Eye 2+ or eventually switched (but have not yet found a model they enjoyed playing as much as their Eye 2/Eye 2+).

My own "Ping experience" includes playing Eye 2+, Zing, ISI, i3, i15, S56, and i20. The only truly sensational iron model of that group , for me, is the Eye 2+. If Ping-Phoenix dusted off their casting ovens ,  tumbling bins, etc... and reintroduced the Eye 2 iron model, I would definitely buy a set. 

Do not confuse forgiveness with nostalgia and enjoyment of playing their old irons.

I have only played the PE2, ISI, and the S56 so I have no argument about the PE2 being better than those, in some areas, but not in others. If I were to play any of those models it would be the PE2 BeCu but it would not be because they are the most forgiving iron EVER.

Topline happy to have your thoughts but it seems you want to argue your thoughts v. Data - I will stop at fact because we may disagree on the data.

Are you familiar with the Maltby Playability chart? It provides a starting point for comparing forgiveness club to club. The Eye 2 finishes middle of the pack when you compare it to today's models - around the same as the Mizuno JPX 900 hotmetal for comparison sake.

That's incredible for a club of its era. There was a reason why people of all skill levels loved it - I loved it - but modern irons are better - they are more specialized which means an individual player can find a much better fit for his or her game.

While the video test was interesting and I was happy to see the Eye 2 hold its own it left out two extremely important data points. First was dispersion and second was the fact that the tester was far from an average golfer.

If a guy wants to keep playing his Eye 2's great! It's when he wants to say that it's because there's nothing better that I take exception. That's a false statement.

Should I really upset people by writing that very few people here have the chops to play the i200. It's rating is down in the 400''s.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Topline happy to have your thoughts but it seems you want to argue your thoughts v. Data - I will stop at fact because we may disagree on the data.

Are you familiar with the Maltby Playability chart? It provides a starting point for comparing forgiveness club to club. The Eye 2 finishes middle of the pack when you compare it to today's models - around the same as the Mizuno JPX 900 hotmetal for comparison sake.

That's incredible for a club of its era. There was a reason why people of all skill levels loved it - I loved it - but modern irons are better - they are more specialized which means an individual player can find a much better fit for his or her game.

While the video test was interesting and I was happy to see the Eye 2 hold its own it left out two extremely important data points. First was dispersion and second was the fact that the tester was far from an average golfer.

If a guy wants to keep playing his Eye 2's great! It's when he wants to say that it's because there's nothing better that I take exception. That's a false statement.

Should I really upset people by writing that very few people here have the chops to play the i200. It's rating is down in the 400''s.

I excited about this coming Thursday and getting some comparative data.  As I stated earlier, the G400's I tested at the Ping Demo sure did feel good, but no data.  The shop I'm going to has custom fitting equipment for; Ping, Callaway, Mizuno, Taylormade, and Tour Edge.  

I am not familiar with the Maltby Playability Chart, but heard it referenced a handful of times on the forum.  I'm going to do a little i-search on it to see which irons among the brands listed above (and that this shop likely has on hand) scores highest in playability.  Would like to hear suggestions from the forum on which models of these brands you would have on the short list.

I'm presuming most (all) of these "fitting systems" allow various heads and shafts to be assembled?  

My first set was a garage sale set of Wikson Reflex irons and they hsve a seemingly much higher Msltby score tgen my eye 2s which I bought a few years later. When I started playing thr Eye 2s, my score dropped. Coincidence?

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

My first set was a garage sale set of Wikson Reflex irons and they hsve a seemingly much higher Msltby score tgen my eye 2s which I bought a few years later. When I started playing thr Eye 2s, my score dropped. Coincidence?

What? If the Reflex irons had a higher score the should be easier to hit than the Eye 2's. That means your scores should be lower with the Wilsons and in turn higher with the Eye 2's.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock