TESTERS WANTED! ×

Former Ping Eye 2 Players

fixyurdivot

Well fellow Golf Spy's, here are the results from today's fitting session.  Love to have the forums swing mechanics and data geeks review and comment.  Go ahead, I'm thick skinned, let me have it.  :lol:  This data was taken using the Foresight Sports GC Quad launch monitor and distance numbers are at sea level. (Note that the Mizuno JP3 was a 6 iron).  

Presuming these LM systems are as accurate as they advertise, what a fantastic tool for assessing clubs!  Old news to many of you no doubt, but all pretty new to me.  I just have not stayed very current with golf industry technology in the last couple of decades.

My takeaway is that the newer iron and shaft technology will yield about 10+ yards more carry and total distance.  Also, (not shown in this data) is that, with the exception of the Taylor Made M3's, lateral dispersion was less than my PE2's. 

From this data and Woody's review of my swing, he feels I'm on the borderline for needing the +1/2 length and recommends I change to standard length.  The standard felt just fine to me and I was making nice contact.  

I also spoke with him about my 3 wood and he immediately asked if I'd ever considered a 5 wood instead (I hadn't).  So I tested the G400 and was pretty impressed.  While I did not have my Warbird 3 to compare, I know it's usually good for about 190-200 yards.  Throwing out a couple of poor hits and that 5 wood was nearly matching that.  

So now what?  The G400's will run me $112/club and he recommends 4-PW.  Is $784 (no sales tax in MT) worth 10 more yards and a little better lateral dispersion? Will this likely yield lower scoring?

Some earlier posts have suggested considering previous G series irons. The thought being considerable $$ savings while still getting improved numbers.  Since the numbers between my PE2's and the irons tested today are not that significant, IMO, (or perhaps some think they are?), would opting for an older series iron not make much sense?  Decisions, decisions...

Bill Iron Fitting Data.pdf

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Was height measured also? I'd think that a whole club, plus better dispersion coupled with more height for softer landings would make the upgrade worth it. Even at these numbers I think you've proven that the new irons are an upgrade.

As far as costs vs lines - I haven't hit Ping irons since the G30 line but I know the G series were very highly reviewed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Was height measured also? I'd think that a whole club, plus better dispersion coupled with more height for softer landings would make the upgrade worth it. Even at these numbers I think you've proven that the new irons are an upgrade.

As far as costs vs lines - I haven't hit Ping irons since the G30 line but I know the G series were very highly reviewed.

Yes, max ball height was measured.  I've reached out to have that and the lateral dispersion data added. It was pretty similar to my PE2' if I recall - and ball height/soft landings has never been a challenge for me. Presuming that the lower irons data would show similar results, I suppose that is a key factor in the decision?

Thank you for posting your data.    IMHO, the distance gain is nice (if you gap well with wedges) and the dispersion is more important - it can be the difference between green and bunker.   I came to similar discovery in moving from PE2 to new technology after several decades.   The new tech will likely result in slightly better ball position and improved scoring opportunities (which is satisfying), but will only translate into lower scores if you can take advantage in short game (my current weakness / focus).    LM data does not always translate to on-course performance ...  one suggestion is to find a pre-owned 6/7 iron to test on-course.   I recently picked up a second swing g400 7 iron in my specs for future testing in off-season.

Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 with Ping Tour 65 stiff 44.5
Wood: Ping G 15 with Ping Tour 80 stiff
Hybrid: Ping G 19 with Ping Tour 90 stiff
Irons: Callaway XR pro 4-A with KBS tour-v 90 stiff
Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54-12 SS, Ping Eye2 SW 57.5 
Putter: Odyssey Versa #1 WBW
Ball: Snell MTB

Grips: Super Stroke S-tech

Shoes: Skechers

Yes, max ball height was measured. I've reached out to have that and the lateral dispersion data added. It was pretty similar to my PE2' if I recall - and ball height/soft landings has never been a challenge for me. Presuming that the lower irons data would show similar results, I suppose that is a key factor in the decision?

I'd think so, yes. If a newer 5i puts you on the green vs 10 yards shorter and off to the right with the PE2, that could definitely help influence your decision.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Thank you for posting your data.    IMHO, the distance gain is nice (if you gap well with wedges) and the dispersion is more important - it can be the difference between green and bunker.   I came to similar discovery in moving from PE2 to new technology after several decades.   The new tech will likely result in slightly better ball position and improved scoring opportunities (which is satisfying), but will only translate into lower scores if you can take advantage in short game (my current weakness / focus).    LM data does not always translate to on-course performance ...  one suggestion is to find a pre-owned 6/7 iron to test on-course.   I recently picked up a second swing g400 7 iron in my specs for future testing in off-season.

Great idea!

Updated data with ball height and dispersion.

ForesightReport.CSV - ForesightReport.CSV.pdf

Interesting data but not surprising IMO.

Only you can answer the question about spending the dough. Given what I see here plus what you got out of the fairway wood I would be stunned even you needed the 4 iron. Doing the numbers the distance you hit the fairway is the distance you'll hit the 4 iron.

Something else to think about.

You will also need to redo your wedges. :)

When I went away from the Eye 2 I kept the wedges for a long time because they just slide right in to the bottom of my bag

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Interesting data but not surprising IMO.

Only you can answer the question about spending the dough. Given what I see here plus what you got out of the fairway wood I would be stunned even you needed the 4 iron. Doing the numbers the distance you hit the fairway is the distance you'll hit the 4 iron.

Something else to think about.

You will also need to redo your wedges. :)

When I went away from the Eye 2 I kept the wedges for a long time because they just slide right in to the bottom of my bag

He did mention the 5-PW option as well, but I've played long irons for so long my bag would look naked to me without at least a 4 (currently have a 2). Also, looking at the G400's sole/face design, I would think it a challenge to hit out of first cut?  I'm not getting what your saying with the wedges - perhaps that you started hitting longer and that required a different or other wedges?  I have only used the standard PW that came with my set.

He did mention the 5-PW option as well, but I've played long irons for so long my bag would look naked to me without at least a 4 (currently have a 2). Also, looking at the G400's sole/face design, I would think it a challenge to hit out of first cut? I'm not getting what your saying with the wedges - perhaps that you started hitting longer and that required a different or other wedges? I have only used the standard PW that came with my set.

If you want the 4 iron and think it helps you game, get it.

If you get the 4-PW set plus the 5W that gives you 10 clubs(I think maybe 11 depending on you set up).

But you then should invest in 3-4 wedges. The PW for your new set is 45.5. I would get a 50,54,58, for sure and maybe a 64*. This then fills out you bag quite nicely. I am not sure if you have a brand loyalty to Ping(if so the glides are great IMO) but if not get fit by the same fitter and have him do a wedge gapping and wedge fitting.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

He did mention the 5-PW option as well, but I've played long irons for so long my bag would look naked to me without at least a 4 (currently have a 2). Also, looking at the G400's sole/face design, I would think it a challenge to hit out of first cut? I'm not getting what your saying with the wedges - perhaps that you started hitting longer and that required a different or other wedges? I have only used the standard PW that came with my set.

I have the G irons in my bag 5-9 irons. An i200 PW and a G400 crossover. Everyone who sees me hit the 4 iron crossover asks what it is, mostly because when I hit it it just goes and goes better than any 4 iron I've ever played, with the same or better workability. So maybe that is a compromise for you if you don't want to give up the 4 iron, but want to try something different that I would highly recommend.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I have the G irons in my bag 5-9 irons. An i200 PW and a G400 crossover. Everyone who sees me hit the 4 iron crossover asks what it is, mostly because when I hit it it just goes and goes better than any 4 iron I've ever played, with the same or better workability. So maybe that is a compromise for you if you don't want to give up the 4 iron, but want to try something different that I would highly recommend.

Had not heard of these until your post.  I did mention that I'm a little behind on the latest in golf club developments, right?  :) They sure look more like an iron than the hybrids I've seen - which aesthetically I have a hard time with. 

If you want the 4 iron and think it helps you game, get it.

If you get the 4-PW set plus the 5W that gives you 10 clubs(I think maybe 11 depending on you set up).

But you then should invest in 3-4 wedges. The PW for your new set is 45.5. I would get a 50,54,58, for sure and maybe a 64*. This then fills out you bag quite nicely. I am not sure if you have a brand loyalty to Ping(if so the glides are great IMO) but if not get fit by the same fitter and have him do a wedge gapping and wedge fitting.

Four wedges in the bag  :o, I have a a hard enough time getting one to do what I ask.  With all those wedges, do you guys ever use your 8 and 9 irons?  

LM data does not always translate to on-course performance ...  one suggestion is to find a pre-owned 6/7 iron to test on-course.   I recently picked up a second swing g400 7 iron in my specs for future testing in off-season.

I like this idea and now on the hunt. The visual display on the LM, showing the final ball positions of the various clubs (in different colors) certainly was most consistent with the G400's.  I played yesterday and was hitting my PE2's nicely but, having just completed the fitting exercise, the lateral dispersion stood out a bit more.  Just buying a used G400 and then going to the range and hitting that side by side with my club would be a good next step.

@fixyurdivot

I'm rooting for you to keep using your Ping Eye 2's. They've been with you for so long it seems a shame for the world to lose another Ping Eye 2 player.

Just keep swing Karsten's masterpiece!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Your Eye 2 W will have more loft the the newer Ping W - it will serve admirable as your gap wedge.

Trust me

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Four wedges in the bag :o, I have a a hard enough time getting one to do what I ask. With all those wedges, do you guys ever use your 8 and 9 irons?

I play 3 wedges. I play a GW that I hit 120, a SW that I hit 105, and a LW that I hit 90. I hit my 8 iron 150, my 9 iron 140, my PW 130.

It can be difficult to hit wedges consistently however if you take them out to the range you will improve. If you struggle with wedges; maybe try One Length wedges so you can setup and swing more consistently?????? I carry more wedges for around the green more than full shots. I like the previous idea of a 4 crossover for off the tee.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have 5 wedges in my bag

60,56,52,48, SCORs, Ping G30 W

70,82,94,106,116 are my full yardage's with each.

I know how to take enough off of each one to fill the gaps or even hit them less than the next one down.

It's way more important to have those shots in your bag than 220,208,195 at the top end - if I have one club that goes 208 I am fine with all three of those numbers. At my very best I was hitting 10 percent of my greens at 210. I was a 1 at that time.

Wedges are hugely important to scoring.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

@fixyurdivot

I'm rooting for you to keep using your Ping Eye 2's. They've been with you for so long it seems a shame for the world to lose another Ping Eye 2 player.

Just keep swing Karsten's masterpiece!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see what you are doing here.  Are you by chance a psychologist?  BTW, my wife agrees with you 100%.  :lol:

I will be a former player on the 31st when my new clubs arrive. Kind of sad actually as they are great conversation pieces.

Question is...do I sell? I have twp sets so one will go bye bye.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I will be a former player on the 31st when my new clubs arrive. Kind of sad actually as they are great conversation pieces.

Question is...do I sell? I have twp sets so one will go bye bye.

Probably missed it in another thread, but what are you switching to?  I would definitely keep one of the PE2 sets.  If I do end up changing, I'll keep mine - at least until such time that I'm certain the new clubs are keepers.

Probably missed it in another thread, but what are you switching to? I would definitely keep one of the PE2 sets. If I do end up changing, I'll keep mine - at least until such time that I'm certain the new clubs are keepers.

Going to Titleist 716 AP1. The lofts are stronger and judt easier to swing for me. Also. My E2s are not axcx great fit since standsrd length and blsck dot. Moving to 1/2" ovee with 2 degree upright.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

• 7 months later...

HELP...STILL NOT FINDING A REPLACEMENT!  I'm pretty waist deep in information overload at this point and should probably just take a hiatus from the search... but I keep reading MGS forum and am hooked like a crack addict 🤪. I've been back through this thread, my fitting results, and agree that, like my driver upgrade, I'll see improved performance with modern irons and that should translate into lower scores.

My big issue now is whether simply moving to a modern day PE2 type club is the best option for me.  I kind of just stumbled into the PE2's back in 1988.  They were the hottest thing going and, not having the likes of a MGS support group, I just went with them. But, might I be better to move into a different club category; cavity back forged vs. cast, more towards a GI design?  I'm able to work the PE2's a bit; certainly fade when desired, and to a lesser degree, a draw.

My fitter in Bozeman only had Ping, TM, Mizuno, and Tour Edge available.  Not that these aren't great mfg's, but certainly limited when considering the many others available.

As some of you have suggested, I'm considering a used set of much newer year irons.  Looking at the MGS Most Wanted Irons reviews, I see Mizuno MP-53 and Cobra CB rated high. For whatever reason, these can be had for a song - say as compared to Ping G or G30's. That would suggest to me they are not as highly sought after - seems odd? 

Add to the challenge my preference for smaller profile irons.  I recently saw the GMax for the first time...wow and no.

Still looking for recommendations... and that can include sedatives 🤣.  Whatcha got?

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

HELP...STILL NOT FINDING A REPLACEMENT!  I'm pretty waist deep in information overload at this point and should probably just take a hiatus from the search... but I keep reading MGS forum and am hooked like a crack addict 🤪. I've been back through this thread, my fitting results, and agree that, like my driver upgrade, I'll see improved performance with modern irons and that should translate into lower scores.

My big issue now is whether simply moving to a modern day PE2 type club is the best option for me.  I kind of just stumbled into the PE2's back in 1988.  They were the hottest thing going and, not having the likes of a MGS support group, I just went with them. But, might I be better to move into a different club category; cavity back forged vs. cast, more towards a GI design?  I'm able to work the PE2's a bit; certainly fade when desired, and to a lesser degree, a draw.

My fitter in Bozeman only had Ping, TM, Mizuno, and Tour Edge available.  Not that these aren't great mfg's, but certainly limited when considering the many others available.

As some of you have suggested, I'm considering a used set of much newer year irons.  Looking at the MGS Most Wanted Irons reviews, I see Mizuno MP-53 and Cobra CB rated high. For whatever reason, these can be had for a song - say as compared to Ping G or G30's. That would suggest to me they are not as highly sought after - seems odd? 

Add to the challenge my preference for smaller profile irons.  I recently saw the GMax for the first time...wow and no.

Still looking for recommendations... and that can include sedatives 🤣.  Whatcha got?

Check this out. A bit dated, but "eye" opening...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

This video/comparison was offered up earlier in the thread. It is pretty neat how well the PE2 compared, but as was pointed out, he is not your typical SGI player and the off hits on the PE2 were worse than others.  Also, much as I like Ping, I'm definitely not stuck on them.  

19 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This video/comparison was offered up earlier in the thread. It is pretty neat how well the PE2 compared, but as was pointed out, he is not your typical SGI player and the off hits on the PE2 were worse than others.  Also, much as I like Ping, I'm definitely not stuck on them.  

Understood, sorry about the duplicate. Bummer about the limited access to more varieties too. Wish I could help more...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I now have TWO sets of Ping Eye 2 irons.  My original set and my sister-in-law's set that we got after she passed away in December.  If we didn't still have snow on the ground, I would be giving them a swing just for fun.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@ Fixyourdivots

In 1988 there were not the type of equipment choices that we are faced with today.  Nearly everyone was playing Ping or Tommy Armor (not tour players by weekend warrior types.)  There were some Hogan or Mizuno, MacGregor or Wilson blade players mixed in but not many.

Today its endless - I would say that if money (within reason) is not an issue you have plenty of choices between Mizuno, TMag, Ping and Tour Edge and in a variety of price points.  Since you can get fit for those go with something from those lines.  While they may cost more upfront you will have them in your bag for a long time and get great value out of your purchase.  (Something I haven't succeeded in doing with irons of late - I can't seem to keep a set of irons in my bag for more than a year - the last set was my Wilson C100's - I hated the way those looked but I loved the shaft)

There is a huge difference between the Ping G line and the Mizuno 53's or Adams CB - that's why you are seeing the pricing differences.  The 53's or the Adams are less forgiving than your Eye 2's.  As lovely as they look I'd steer clear of them.  I actually have a set of Adams CBs in my closet - absolutely gorgeous and if I'm playing a lot of golf I will throw them in the bag for a round - but if I'm playing less than once a week or a round in competition - not a chance - the clunkers stay clunkers with those irons. 

My guess is that you would find much happiness in something in the Mizuno 900 series - nice combination of looks with some real help factored in.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Ping Eye 2 guy for 10 years..then got fitted for a set of G30s.  Longer, higher and with the same ability to work the ball.  It was a no brainer for me.  Hitting an 8 iron to an elevated green (G30) is a lot easier than hitting the Ping Eye 7 iron.  I made the switch and have loved the difference it has made in my game.  The G30s are not as pretty though :(

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

On 3/14/2019 at 7:03 AM, revkev said:

My guess is that you would find much happiness in something in the Mizuno 900 series - nice combination of looks with some real help factored in.

Thanks Rev. I just contacted my fitter in Bozeman.  He's added Callaway and KZG to his line-up.  The JPX900 HM's were among the four irons I tested last summer.  They were the longest hitting by a few yards but also had the highest Std. Dev.  A couple of hits in the data group were nearly 180 yds - besting any of the others by 5+ yards.  If memory serves, they were the last irons I hit and I may have started to get a bit gassed. We also only tried one shaft with them. 

He's offered to help with my G410 Plus driver review - getting some side by side LM data with my current Callaway driver 👍.  As part of that visit, I plan to do some additional iron testing and will have another look at the Mizuno's.  I know nothing about KZG but, as it seems nearly always the case, looked no further than MGS for the scoop.  This article by Chris Nickel is a good overview.

https://mygolfspy.com/kzg-not-everyone-wants-to-live-large/

"Marketing companies who make golf equipment"; that is an interesting statement.  There is little doubt that marketing plays a HUGE factor in what sway's consumer decisions.  To the extent "the bigs" become more market/profit dominant than performance driven, that's hard to say - but it seems plausible. I plan to have a look at and likely test the KZG irons later this spring.

12 hours ago, deauxrite said:

Ping Eye 2 guy for 10 years..then got fitted for a set of G30s.  Longer, higher and with the same ability to work the ball.  It was a no brainer for me.  Hitting an 8 iron to an elevated green (G30) is a lot easier than hitting the Ping Eye 7 iron.  I made the switch and have loved the difference it has made in my game.  The G30s are not as pretty though 😞

A few have suggested the G and G30's as a lower cost option to the current G series. I've been looking for a used green dot in 5, 6, or 7i to test. To be honest, the cost difference is not a factor in my decision.  I'm really just being deliberate in my selection process - wanting to get the best performing upgrade I can.  

• 8 months later...
On 7/7/2018 at 7:02 PM, RoverRick said:

I don't see how it makes any difference what number is on the bottom of the club. As long as it works for you.

I agree. The number on the bottom of clubs should be loft.  My brother’s 8 iron has the same loft as my 7.  So what does it matter he hits his 8 longer than I hit my 8.  It’s really how you hit your clubs and the gaps between clubs.  I don’t ask what club anybody hits when I’m playing with them. It doesn’t matter.  

On 12/14/2019 at 8:27 AM, RRD said:

I don’t ask what club anybody hits when I’m playing with them. It doesn’t matter.

But I was often asked and they were always surprised.  If I liked them and wasn't in competition, I'd quickly qualify that the PE2's were a weaker loft 😃.

• 5 weeks later...

I still have my PE2s, which I will never give up. However, crossing the sixth decade (with increased arthritis and two prosthetic hips) I was fitted for Mizuno 919 Hot Metals (standard length, 2* upright with Project X graphite shafts).

I see what the buzz is about. The HMs are fantastic! When you hit clean, you hear and feel it. Otherwise, you hear and feel a definite difference - but the shots usually aren’t too bad (considering the mis-hit). You might want to check them out!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”