TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter help...fitting...bad!

bens197

Hi guys...I need help...

My putting is awful.  Sparing you from a horrible analogy or anecdote I just need to be blunt, I have no feel around the green.  

Right now its a traditional Anser 2 SS.  I always default back to it during experiments and I have gotten to the point this year where I am just lost on the greens.  

My stroke is a slight arc and I have some questions about types and technology.

I have always had more confidence with blade style putters.  I did use a 2-ball DFX a few years ago but came back to the tried and true because I was bombing putts through the line on shorter putts.  There was something about a larger mass head that made me want to swing harder through the ball.

I like the S-Neck mini jailbird from Odyssey but is that right for me?  

Would I be better off with a double bend shaft instead?

I want to try a mallet and see if that will help me by going with a completely different club at address.

Thank you!!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Hi guys...I need help...

My putting is awful.  Sparing you from a horrible analogy or anecdote I just need to be blunt, I have no feel around the green.  

Right now its a traditional Anser 2 SS.  I always default back to it during experiments and I have gotten to the point this year where I am just lost on the greens.  

I have always had more confidence with blade style putters.  I did use a 2-ball DFX a few years ago but came back to the tried and true because I was bombing putts through the line on shorter putts.  There was something about a larger mass head that made me want to swing harder through the ball.

I want to try a mallet and see if that will help me by going with a completely different club at address.

Thank you!!

OMG! you are ME!

Everything you posted is me, right down to handicap (always hanging around 4-6 last 10 years but putting is woeful averaging 37 per round) tried mallets but my eye likes a blade. Went back to a Ping anser 2 recently and no better..........UNTIL......I started forgetting all the mechanical technical discipline of the putt and went with my instinct and gut!

Dont get me wrong I just focus on the fundamental now of straight back and straight thru on a straight line to my intended initial path of the putt, but my stance is way open as it feels comfortable and I take the club back as far as is instinctive for the length of putt i.e if you rolled it with your hand you would just do it, right? you wouldnt be taking it back 18 inches and accelerating etc you would just take it back as far as your brain tells you to, instinct! without all the alignment issues and ball position blah blah

lag putting last week is now a joy and some go in. I'm just hoping it continues, why wouldnt it, it worked for Jack, Arnie, Gary and most of the putting greats the last 40 years!

Try it. Good luck and feedback how you get on.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I don't have a good answer for you but.... I'll bet it will pass.

I went through a "hiccup" several years ago with my Ping Zing putter. I'd been putting very successfully with it for 20 years. Then one day it went cold on me. My putting was horrible and I had no feel. Like you. WTH??!!! I panicked. 

I went through 3 different putters trying to regain my stroke and confidence. Then one day I was at Academy and tried a Odyssey #9 I found in their rack. It was $39 so I bought it. What did I have to lose? Obviously it's a different shape than my Zing but it worked. My stroke returned and I putted great with it for several years. I eventually went on to buy a custom built putter and still putt good to this day. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't have a good answer for you but.... I'll bet it will pass.

I went through a "hiccup" several years ago with my Ping Zing putter. I'd been putting very successfully with it for 20 years. Then one day it went cold on me. My putting was horrible and I had no feel. Like you. WTH??!!! I panicked. 

I went through 3 different putters trying to regain my stroke and confidence. Then one day I was at Academy and tried a Odyssey #9 I found in their rack. It was $39 so I bought it. What did I have to lose? Obviously it's a different shape than my Zing but it worked. My stroke returned and I putted great with it for several years. I eventually went on to buy a custom built putter and still putt good to this day. 

handicap of 63 (bets that's age?) and putting well does not compute Will Robinson!

whats your real handicap?

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

My man...the shaft bend is not as important as whether it goes through the middle of the mallet or part of the end. You said you have a slight arc, so you don't want anything that goes through the middle of the head, that is designed for straight back, straight forward.

Try the TaylorMade spider. It's mallet style with a little toe hang. You can find similar specs from any manufacturer thought

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My man...the shaft bend is not as important as whether it goes through the middle of the mallet or part of the end. You said you have a slight arc, so you don't want anything that goes through the middle of the head, that is designed for straight back, straight forward.

Try the TaylorMade spider. It's mallet style with a little toe hang. You can find similar specs from any manufacturer thought

The shaft bend controls the toe hang. You can have a face balanced mallet with a shaft that does not go to the center. A double bend shaft makes a face balanced putter. If the shaft continued without the double bend; it would go into the center however the double bend makes a face balanced- heel shafted mallet.

A single bend shaft produce a heel shafted putter with slight toe hang. If the shaft continues straight with no single bend the shaft would hit the head in between the heel and the center producing slight toe hang.

A flow neck shaft produces a heel shafted putter with a lot of toe hang. Without the flow neck the shaft would go straight into the heel. This produces a lot of toe hang.

A center shafted putter is face balanced.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Hi guys...I need help...

My putting is awful. Sparing you from a horrible analogy or anecdote I just need to be blunt, I have no feel around the green.

Right now its a traditional Anser 2 SS. I always default back to it during experiments and I have gotten to the point this year where I am just lost on the greens.

I have always had more confidence with blade style putters. I did use a 2-ball DFX a few years ago but came back to the tried and true because I was bombing putts through the line on shorter putts. There was something about a larger mass head that made me want to swing harder through the ball.

Thank you!!

If that is the type of head you want to see and the alignment aid is what you want; then that shaft is perfect for you. A double bend is for straight back straight through.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

If that is the type of head you want to see and the alignment aid is what you want; then that shaft is perfect for you. A double bend is for straight back straight through.

Short of trying it I believe that from what I've read. I'm just hoping to hear from others who are struggling like me.

Thanks !

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The shaft bend controls the toe hang. You can have a face balanced mallet with a shaft that does not go to the center. A double bend shaft makes a face balanced putter. If the shaft continued without the double bend; it would go into the center however the double bend makes a face balanced- heel shafted mallet.

A single bend shaft produce a heel shafted putter with slight toe hang. If the shaft continues straight with no single bend the shaft would hit the head in between the heel and the center producing slight toe hang.

A flow neck shaft produces a heel shafted putter with a lot of toe hang. Without the flow neck the shaft would go straight into the heel. This produces a lot of toe hang.

A center shafted putter is face balanced.

Thanks for simplifying it. This is really good stuff.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

It's definitely clearer now. Thanks for the info I'll check it out!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Best advice I can give you is check for demos at a local course and take some out to the putting green. Try different lengths, styles, and weights. Pick one to demo on the course and use it every time you play (if possible) for a least a couple weeks to see how it performs for you. I'm like you, I prefer the look of blade putters, but I'm gaming a 6M because it just works and feels phenomenal to me. I've drained so many difficult putts with this thing I don't care what it looks like to anyone else - it's perfect for me!

Best of luck in your search. Hope you can find something to get you out of your slump.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

a good putter can putt with any putter. You are chasing your game with different clubs. It's what us golfers do but as putting is as individualistic as handwriting stick with what you like and work on your stroke.

Best advice I can give you is check for demos at a local course and take some out to the putting green. Try different lengths, styles, and weights. Pick one to demo on the course and use it every time you play (if possible) for a least a couple weeks to see how it performs for you. I'm like you, I prefer the look of blade putters, but I'm gaming a 6M because it just works and feels phenomenal to me. I've drained so many difficult putts with this thing I don't care what it looks like to anyone else - it's perfect for me!

Best of luck in your search. Hope you can find something to get you out of your slump.

I completely agree. Thanks :)

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

a good putter can putt with any putter. You are chasing your game with different clubs. It's what us golfers do but as putting is as individualistic as handwriting stick with what you like and work on your stroke.

I'm not a good putter. This is the purpose for finding something that may serve me better. Remember, I've had this same one for 19 years.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I know you're looking for a putter that may help you but have you tried looking at the hole while you putt? I started doing this about a year ago and it has been a huge help for me. Might be worth a go on the practice green.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I know you're looking for a putter that may help you but have you tried looking at the hole while you putt? I started doing this about a year ago and it has been a huge help for me. Might be worth a go on the practice green.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I actually did this years back and I was lights out.

Then I tried it during a tournament and topped a putt so I swore it off to just practice.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

For those of you that look at the hole:

How long did it take before you were confident enough to take it to the course? I've tried it, but I tend to mishit the ball a lot. It seems to work when I hit it correctly, but that doesn't happen often enough to take out there with me.

When you say you have no feel around the greens I am assuming you problem is distance control and not starting the ball on line. If you start the ball on your line you have a putter that should work for you. What you need to work on is some mechanics on how to control distance. Do the ladder drill and learn how long of a stroke you need to make for each distance. Get that ingrained until it becomes less mechanical and becomes feel.

I am also assuming that you used the ping app to determine you were slight arc. If so then you need to understand that the app measures rotation and not path. Meaning you have a lower rotation stroke. All putting strokes arc and the amount of arc depends on your posture and how far you stand from the ball.

Face balanced putters are designed to minimize the rotation during the stroke. For me face balanced putters miss right. You would have to try one and see how well it performs for you.

You basically have 2 choices when it comes to putting. Find the putter that fits your stroke tendencies or change your stroke/method to fit the putter.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

For those of you that look at the hole:

How long did it take before you were confident enough to take it to the course? I've tried it, but I tend to mishit the ball a lot. It seems to work when I hit it correctly, but that doesn't happen often enough to take out there with me.

I practiced over the winter putting on my bedroom carpet by looking at the hole. When I made it to a practice green it took about an hour to get used to putting on something other than my carpet. I took it straight to the course. I still mishit my fair share of putts but they still seem to find their way close to the hole. It's weird really. For big breakers I look at the ball.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

handicap of 63 (bets that's age?) and putting well does not compute Will Robinson!

whats your real handicap?

Hate to break the news but I carry a 4hcp. Been playing golf since I was about 10. I'm now 63.5 and playing some of the best golf of my life. Putting has always been my strong suit. And... still is.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I played an odyssey 9 for years. Put in black shaft, Salty grip, still no love. I watched Adams rant about tech in putters, which many think is bull and marketing only. I have definitely changed my putting with the ER2 I bought. Most expensive club in the bag, but it worked. It rolls the ball so fine and my speed / distance has improved so much. I changed my setup and play the ball off my front foot to be able to see down the line and line up the face better. I have had some great days and better nine hole runs with this little baby of 11 and 13 putts (chipped in once on each nine so it is short one or two putts). I have certainly had days where i was clueless but overall it is a huge improvement

ANYONE can putt with any putter - it's the easiest facet of the game as far as making ball contact goes. Putting WELL does require some effort and practice on distance control, but often requires finding a putter that suits the eye and fits the stroke as well. 

Nothing wrong with someone searching for a new fit.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Archived