Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Approach Shots

Shankster

I've been fooling around with this idea for a while.

I am going to try something out of the ordinary for me. Next round out I will be “playing to a number” on a few holes where I can't use a pitch and run shot. Looking to be 110-130 out so I can hit a full/knockdown 52° or a knock down PW.

(Short holes) so there will be a lot of long and mid irons off the tee, this will do two things for me, build some confidence with shaping them, and target practice in with the PW and the 52°.

I was practicing today with the 1/2 & 3/4 all the way up to 6 iron. After today I am ”ready for the open”...

I also spent a lot of time at the chipping green today working on well... chipping. I have a new found love for running shots. Worked with the 9, PW, and 52° I am finding it more accurate and predictable than trying to hit my checker every time.

Practiced downhill and uphill shots for nearly 2 hours from the rough, dried out crap, ant hills, fringe, fluffy dry long stuff... only had a few outliers. Most of them were within 4' of the cup from 20,30,40 yards and even closer from inside 20.

I also don't think I'll ever hit a full 56 or 60 ever again, and the 60 might be on short notice.

I've been working something similar. Clubbing up 1 or 2 clubs and hitting 3/4 knockdowns to the flag. It's an awesome shot when executed. Today hit a 1/2 swing knockdown 8i to 118 yard pin. Normally would hit a full 50. Hit right on the flag, hopped and stopped to about 5 feet. Right on target. Very useful into the wind here in Hawaii.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've been working something similar. Clubbing up 1 or 2 clubs and hitting 3/4 knockdowns to the flag. It's an awesome shot when executed. Today hit a 1/2 swing knockdown 8i to 118 yard pin. Normally would hit a full 50. Hit right on the flag, hopped and stopped to about 5 feet. Right on target. Very useful into the wind here in Hawaii.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

isn't this what the pros do? lay up to a distance where they can control a PW and spin the crap out of it?

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

isn't this what the pros do? lay up to a distance where they can control a PW and spin the crap out of it?

Another thing I'm absolutely talking about. Playing smarter. What's the sense of being 64 yards from the green? I mean I could pull it off easily, but I want to work on lowering my scores. Trying this out.

It's definitely a shot you need to fully commit to. Lots of badness can happen if you decelerate through the ball. Hosel fades, aka shanks, chunkers, ......practice and commitment is the key.

I've been fooling around with this idea for a while.

I am going to try something out of the ordinary for me. Next round out I will be “playing to a number” on a few holes where I can't use a pitch and run shot. Looking to be 110-130 out so I can hit a full/knockdown 52° or a knock down PW.

(Short holes) so there will be a lot of long and mid irons off the tee, this will do two things for me, build some confidence with shaping them, and target practice in with the PW and the 52°.

I was practicing today with the 1/2 & 3/4 all the way up to 6 iron. After today I am ”ready for the open”...

I also spent a lot of time at the chipping green today working on well... chipping. I have a new found love for running shots. Worked with the 9, PW, and 52° I am finding it more accurate and predictable than trying to hit my checker every time.

Practiced downhill and uphill shots for nearly 2 hours from the rough, dried out crap, ant hills, fringe, fluffy dry long stuff... only had a few outliers. Most of them were within 4' of the cup from 20,30,40 yards and even closer from inside 20.

I also don't think I'll ever hit a full 56 or 60 ever again, and the 60 might be on short notice.

Sounds like one of my practice days.  Not only will you get better at hitting those shots, but just being creative on shots around the green like that pays big dividends when you are out on the course.  A lot of golf is about visualizing a shot and having your brain translate it into body movements.  The more challenge, the better you become when having to pull it off.

I haven't hit a full 54 or 58 shot in years.  No need to.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I do this all the time, however, I do not hit to a "Full" anything. I hit to a 3/4 shot. Much more control than a full anything.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Well, I think getting in the habit of swinging "plenty of club" significantly improves a players swing tempo-rhythm .

As for the 60* wedge, I think it has harmed scoring more so than any other club ever invented. If you take the 60* out of the bag my expectation is that your scoring will improve.

100% agree, the 60 wedge is the worst. I was having the best round of my life at Spanish bay a few years ago. Even par going into 16. Hit my t shot to pin high left of the green. Took out my 60 and preceded to skull one over, chunk one back, 3 putt. Took my frustration to 17 and finished at 79. Threw it away and never looked back.

Wedges were/are the best part of my game. I'm just working on a few things.

I like to mess around when I play, I don't like hitting a straight shot, that's boring. I think that's why I like Bubba so much.

I like to hit a big high fade with the driver.

Draw is stock with my 3 wood, but I can boomerang it if needed. (My go to for a few tee shots)

Irons I like to fade the irons but I can move it both ways with the irons.

New wedge stuff I'm working on is a little draw, maybe 1-2 yards. But I can still fade/slice if I need to.

I've always liked the fade ball shape. (

Putting though. I figured out today that I was set up like 4' to the right * your other right * edit: LEFT of a straight 25' putt I was working on lags. I feel super closed when I'm “square”. But the dang things go where I tell them to now. Imagine that.

I find hitting knockdowns give me a better feel for the club/ball.i also find they can hinder me as i start to rely on them instead of committing to a fukk swing with solid follow through.

I also try o lay up to a distance or certain angle if possible even if it means a 50 yard shot.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

If I'm playing to shoot a score, I avoid shots inside 110 yards (less than full sand wedge) like the plague. If I'm practicing on the course, I hit all the awkward in-between wedge shots I can. Sooner or later, you're going to have one when it counts.

Many of the courses in my area have quite a bit of contouring in the fairways, so you're frequently hitting a ball that's a few inches above or below your feet. I've finally come to the realization that in both cases, I'm better off taking 2-3 extra clubs and hitting a low punch with a half-swing instead of using my usual club and giving it the full treatment. I'm much more likely to keep my balance, make solid contact and actually hit the green this way.

With the new set, it looks like I have a fairly significant gap between my PW and my GW.

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.36.08 PM.png

And my course has a par 3 that's 135. I've found that a punch 8 iron is actually the best way to play the hole now, rather than trying to take a little off the PW (I'm not good at that) or trying to kill the GW (never a good idea).

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If I'm playing to shoot a score, I avoid shots inside 110 yards (less than full sand wedge) like the plague. If I'm practicing on the course, I hit all the awkward in-between wedge shots I can. Sooner or later, you're going to have one when it counts.

Many of the courses in my area have quite a bit of contouring in the fairways, so you're frequently hitting a ball that's a few inches above or below your feet. I've finally come to the realization that in both cases, I'm better off taking 2-3 extra clubs and hitting a low punch with a half-swing instead of using my usual club and giving it the full treatment. I'm much more likely to keep my balance, make solid contact and actually hit the green this way.

With the new set, it looks like I have a fairly significant gap between my PW and my GW.

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.36.08 PM.png

And my course has a par 3 that's 135. I've found that a punch 8 iron is actually the best way to play the hole now, rather than trying to take a little off the PW (I'm not good at that) or trying to kill the GW (never a good idea).

I just took the boys out on the par three course again and I ran into almost the exact situation. I have a 150yd PW and a 135yd GW. And I come to a 140yd hole. A few holes before I tried a choked up PW and pulled it left. I really need to dedicate some whole range sessions to choking up because I feel like the face closed so easily when I choke up. So I pulled out my handy Pelz clock card and see that a 3/4 7 iron goes 138yd (I put together the table for all my irons to help with punches). I think it landed right at 140 but bounced hard and rolled over the green. An 8 there probably would have been right on.

I have been thinking about this whole 3/4 shot strategy for a while. I guess it's about time to give it a shot for a while and see what happens. One of my best scores this year was on a course that has enough doglegs and other obstacles in the fairways that I didn't hit driver all that much. Hitting my 3hy and irons a lot, ending up in fairways, and having full shits to the green sure worked out well.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

What's everyone's approach to the approach shot?

130 and in?

Low spinners?

Low runners?

High with steep decent?

Something in between?

I've always brought them in high from 60+, but it has been windy here lately so I started working on my low flighted shots again.

Some of us already shared, does the era of golf you learned in change your style? When I started playing all of the members at the course I worked at hit bump and runs from inside 100 yards.

This seems less popular these days.

130 and in?

Low spinners?

Low runners?

High with steep decent?

Something in between?

I've always brought them in high from 60+, but it has been windy here lately so I started working on my low flighted shots again.

Some of us already shared, does the era of golf you learned in change your style? When I started playing all of the members at the course I worked at hit bump and runs from inside 100 yards.

This seems less popular these days.[/quot

Interesting tbought on generations on approach shots. Sometimes I will play a hole here and there with guys in there 60s. 70s and even 80s. We talk about approach shots and they have always preferred bump and run when they can....even in their younger days.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

130 and in?

Low spinners?

Low runners?

High with steep decent?

Something in between?

This seems less popular these days.

I hit a high spinner from 80 and out. 80 is a full 58* for me. This shot gives me much more distance control but less directional control. Anything inside 80 is a knockdown bump and run 52*. This shot gives me much more directional control but less distance control. I prefer the low shot from inside a full swing for more control. If I have a full swing, I will just let it fly.

I am totally self taught have never played with anyone better than a 25 handicap so I have developed what works for me.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I hit a high spinner from 80 and out. 80 is a full 58* for me. This shot gives me much more distance control but less directional control. Anything inside 80 is a knockdown bump and run 52*. This shot gives me much more directional control but less distance control. I prefer the low shot from inside a full swing for more control. If I have a full swing, I will just let it fly.

I am totally self taught have never played with anyone better than a 25 handicap so I have developed what works for me.

That is spot-on my reply too. Ditto in all aspects.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Flat lie, no wind, I hit full shots whenever I can (GW, SW, LW). For in-between yardages and uneven lies, I'll drop all the way down to a half swing. I don't really have a 3/4 swing that's repeatable for me, but I can repeat a half swing pretty well.

Full swings are moon balls, half swings are low spinners. The head-high 8 iron from 120 that takes one hop and stops is a real crowd-pleaser.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

It works, anytime I can't reach a par 5 in two I lay up to my full 58 degree distance and more often than not par is stress free with a birdie mixed in on occasion. I'll pull one off the map on occasion but that's golf.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I always try to do this when I play. I very rarely hit driver off the tee anymore unless the hole is 370 yards, and then I may not hit driver, more than likely 3W. 390-400 is when I start thinking driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

If the hole is less than 370; I won't hit driver only my 2 iron. If I hit driver it is less than a full shot into the green. If I hit 2 iron then I have a full shot. I hit 80% of fairways with the 2 iron as opposed with 40% with the driver. I would rather have 210 in the fairway versus 250 in the woods.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I just found my new favorite 80 yard shot. As you all are aware I love to play a fade, in-fact I am starting to dislike the draw snap again.

Anyways, I grabbed my 9 iron tonight in the yard and gave myself 5 targets in the yard to hit. I developed a little cut that is viscous with it. Can't wait to take it on the course. Probably 5-10 yards of horizontal movement when I go after it, a light one is 1-3 yards.... nice and low.

The shape of my 9 is better than the PW, I think I'm going to shelve the PW, it is ugly. just means I need a 47° wedge to replace it with.

But it is out of spec for sure, the lie angle is way to upright, not sure how that happened.

I'm different from most here.  I'm always going to get as close to the green as I can, without taking on significant additional risk from things like hazards or bunkers.  I'm going to have better proximity to the hole from 50 or 60 yards than I will with a full swing from 100.  I know this isn't the conventional wisdom of TV golf announcers, but it works.  Statistics will show that for most of us it works out the same, you're better off getting closer, even if its into partial swing range.

This won't apply when a fairway pinches in at some point, I may lay back to the wide part.  This may not apply if the shot to the green HAS to spin to a stop, like it does when there's a bunker fronting the green, then I want to leave a full swing so I can get full spin.  But as a general rule, I get as close as possible to the green.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

When I used to hit the range (very seldom anymore) I would always start by hitting each club a certain distance. Generally it would be 100 yards. So 5-6 shots of a 7 iron 100 yards, same with a 4 iron, etc, having the feel of that swing has been very beneficial. As far as a 60, I have had one in my bag for 20 years and can probably count on one hand the times I have hit it full. Much rather hit a knockdown 55. I have 2 different approaches on laying up. And it all depends on course conditions and the weather. But if I can get within 20-30 yards I generally try to get as far down there as possible. However if I can't get that close I will lay up to somewhere between 100-130 depending on the hole. This allows me to hit a full shot and can be one of 3 different clubs. The biggest advantage of having the different shots with the same club is the ability to flight the ball. High or low etc. it increases control when executed properly. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I'm different from most here.  I'm always going to get as close to the green as I can, without taking on significant additional risk from things like hazards or bunkers.  I'm going to have better proximity to the hole from 50 or 60 yards than I will with a full swing from 100.  I know this isn't the conventional wisdom of TV golf announcers, but it works.  Statistics will show that for most of us it works out the same, you're better off getting closer, even if its into partial swing range.

This won't apply when a fairway pinches in at some point, I may lay back to the wide part.  This may not apply if the shot to the green HAS to spin to a stop, like it does when there's a bunker fronting the green, then I want to leave a full swing so I can get full spin.  But as a general rule, I get as close as possible to the green.

This has been traditional wisdom for the everyday golfer for ever and for the majority of people it is the best. Unless you practice different shots and flights getting it as close as you can will allow you to score better. The reason being is that golf is a game of misses and most people will miss a shorter club closer to the hole than a longer club. I have a buddy who has been scratch for as long as I have known him and this is always his approach. And he has every shot. But I have seen it cost him shots on the course when the conditions don't match his game. And he is too stubborn to change. But If the greens are firm he really struggles getting it close. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

... Statistics will show that for most of us it works out the same, you're better off getting closer, even if its into partial swing range...

Maybe for most, but not for me, unfortunately. I have ranges where I'm just pitiful.

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 12.32.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 12.32.19 AM.png

a-mans-got-to-know-his-limitations.jpg

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

The distance is simply one variable in what can be a very complex formula for success. 130 tells me very little.

1. Is the lie clean and on level grass

2. What direction is the wind blowing

3. What is the slope of the fairway in relation to the green

4. Where are the hazards located

5. What type of hazards are they

6. Where is the location of the pen in relation to the hazards

7. What is the condition of the green

8. What is the slope of the green

9. Where do I want to putt from

10. If I miss the green where do I want to chip from

I know that's a lot of information but as I approach my ball all of that runs through my head. 130 could be a high pitching wedge and also could be a knock down 7 or 8. It may be just a smooth mid flight 9. After gathering all that information I'd probably shank it to the right 15 feet so next question is what club do you hit 115 out of the rough? 😋

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

When do you guys go flag hunting?

Have to be a perfect location?

Or what is your bullseye target zone?

I've been putting together some notes in a little book to carry with me, to stop me from making mistakes. Like going for par 5's in 2, when I can lay up to my go zone and have a shorter putt.

I rarely play away from the flag at any distance, because I'd rather wedge out from the rough than hit a 50' putt.

Maybe when my putting gets better I'll play a bit more tactically, but right now it's knocking doors down with the battering wedges.

Archived