Shankster

Approach Shots

If the hole is less than 370; I won't hit driver only my 2 iron. If I hit driver it is less than a full shot into the green. If I hit 2 iron then I have a full shot. I hit 80% of fairways with the 2 iron as opposed with 40% with the driver. I would rather have 210 in the fairway versus 250 in the woods.

• Like 2

I just found my new favorite 80 yard shot. As you all are aware I love to play a fade, in-fact I am starting to dislike the draw snap again.

Anyways, I grabbed my 9 iron tonight in the yard and gave myself 5 targets in the yard to hit. I developed a little cut that is viscous with it. Can't wait to take it on the course. Probably 5-10 yards of horizontal movement when I go after it, a light one is 1-3 yards.... nice and low.

The shape of my 9 is better than the PW, I think I'm going to shelve the PW, it is ugly. just means I need a 47° wedge to replace it with.

But it is out of spec for sure, the lie angle is way to upright, not sure how that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I'm different from most here.  I'm always going to get as close to the green as I can, without taking on significant additional risk from things like hazards or bunkers.  I'm going to have better proximity to the hole from 50 or 60 yards than I will with a full swing from 100.  I know this isn't the conventional wisdom of TV golf announcers, but it works.  Statistics will show that for most of us it works out the same, you're better off getting closer, even if its into partial swing range.

This won't apply when a fairway pinches in at some point, I may lay back to the wide part.  This may not apply if the shot to the green HAS to spin to a stop, like it does when there's a bunker fronting the green, then I want to leave a full swing so I can get full spin.  But as a general rule, I get as close as possible to the green.

• Like 2

I also always try get as close as I can too. But I am trying this other way on Friday. I am deadly with the 120 yard shot. So I am going to try and play to that number.

When I used to hit the range (very seldom anymore) I would always start by hitting each club a certain distance. Generally it would be 100 yards. So 5-6 shots of a 7 iron 100 yards, same with a 4 iron, etc, having the feel of that swing has been very beneficial. As far as a 60, I have had one in my bag for 20 years and can probably count on one hand the times I have hit it full. Much rather hit a knockdown 55. I have 2 different approaches on laying up. And it all depends on course conditions and the weather. But if I can get within 20-30 yards I generally try to get as far down there as possible. However if I can't get that close I will lay up to somewhere between 100-130 depending on the hole. This allows me to hit a full shot and can be one of 3 different clubs. The biggest advantage of having the different shots with the same club is the ability to flight the ball. High or low etc. it increases control when executed properly. 

• Like 2

I'm different from most here.  I'm always going to get as close to the green as I can, without taking on significant additional risk from things like hazards or bunkers.  I'm going to have better proximity to the hole from 50 or 60 yards than I will with a full swing from 100.  I know this isn't the conventional wisdom of TV golf announcers, but it works.  Statistics will show that for most of us it works out the same, you're better off getting closer, even if its into partial swing range.

This won't apply when a fairway pinches in at some point, I may lay back to the wide part.  This may not apply if the shot to the green HAS to spin to a stop, like it does when there's a bunker fronting the green, then I want to leave a full swing so I can get full spin.  But as a general rule, I get as close as possible to the green.

This has been traditional wisdom for the everyday golfer for ever and for the majority of people it is the best. Unless you practice different shots and flights getting it as close as you can will allow you to score better. The reason being is that golf is a game of misses and most people will miss a shorter club closer to the hole than a longer club. I have a buddy who has been scratch for as long as I have known him and this is always his approach. And he has every shot. But I have seen it cost him shots on the course when the conditions don't match his game. And he is too stubborn to change. But If the greens are firm he really struggles getting it close. 

• Like 1

I need my own Trackman so I can see the spin numbers with these shots. I'm going to jump on the tech wagon, not clubs but training aid stuff for a bit. Now, I just need to take out a second mortgage to get one...

... Statistics will show that for most of us it works out the same, you're better off getting closer, even if its into partial swing range...

Maybe for most, but not for me, unfortunately. I have ranges where I'm just pitiful.

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 12.32.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 12.32.19 AM.png

a-mans-got-to-know-his-limitations.jpg

The distance is simply one variable in what can be a very complex formula for success. 130 tells me very little.

1. Is the lie clean and on level grass

2. What direction is the wind blowing

3. What is the slope of the fairway in relation to the green

4. Where are the hazards located

5. What type of hazards are they

6. Where is the location of the pen in relation to the hazards

7. What is the condition of the green

8. What is the slope of the green

9. Where do I want to putt from

10. If I miss the green where do I want to chip from

I know that's a lot of information but as I approach my ball all of that runs through my head. 130 could be a high pitching wedge and also could be a knock down 7 or 8. It may be just a smooth mid flight 9. After gathering all that information I'd probably shank it to the right 15 feet so next question is what club do you hit 115 out of the rough? 😋

• Like 3

When do you guys go flag hunting?

Have to be a perfect location?

Or what is your bullseye target zone?

I've been putting together some notes in a little book to carry with me, to stop me from making mistakes. Like going for par 5's in 2, when I can lay up to my go zone and have a shorter putt.

I rarely play away from the flag at any distance, because I'd rather wedge out from the rough than hit a 50' putt.

Maybe when my putting gets better I'll play a bit more tactically, but right now it's knocking doors down with the battering wedges.

I've been putting together some notes in a little book to carry with me, to stop me from making mistakes. Like going for par 5's in 2, when I can lay up to my go zone and have a shorter putt.

I rarely play away from the flag at any distance, because I'd rather wedge out from the rough than hit a 50' putt.

Maybe when my putting gets better I'll play a bit more tactically, but right now it's knocking doors down with the battering wedges.

I will go flag hunting any time the pin isn't tucked behind a biker or on the edge. If it is on the edge I will play about 10 feet left or right. If it is tucked behind a bunker I either go pin high left or right or I try to land it 20 feet past the pin.

I really should be less aggressive. I always go for the Par 5 greens that I can reach in two unless there is water in play.

I can always chip it closed than I can wedge it.

• Like 1

Probably more often than I should.   Been hitting a draw lately so I may aim at a right pin but the expectation is that it will draw to the middle at the worst.  Anything middle to left I am trying to work the ball into that pin location. 

• Like 1

Flag hunting??  I always go green hunting.  

I'm just happy to hit the green, because I can almost always 2-putt, and a lucky shot might get me close enough to one-putt.  Most of my approaches are with long clubs except for a few of our shorter holes.  All of my short iron shots are low to mid, and never full with SW or LW; just a habit playing the wind we typically have.

• Like 2

Flag in the middle of the green - always.

Flag on the left of the green - depends upon the trouble to the left. If I feel like I'm even money to get up and down, I'll go for it.

Like Cnosil, I can aim at a right hand pin, because I know it should draw back to the middle of the green.

Sent from my SM-T550 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

If I know the course I aim at the point from where I would like to putt but also with respect to where I do not want to be if I miss. If I don't know the course I just hit away from the trouble as close to the middle of the green as possible. I'm pretty confidant in my ability to two putt from most distances. Unfortunately that's kind of my problem as well because I two point from most distances :(

• Like 1