MGoBlue100

Bryson’s compass illegal - USGA

Our Sponsors

Could you imagine the average parent trying to explain what a compass is and how it works? Most probably haven't touched one since the 6th grade.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Now that's funny. Sad and true as well.

In NY we have “common core” mathematics. It's the king of all horsefeathers. Google it, if you can figure it out let me know so I can prepare when my daughter hits middle school.

• Like 1

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

In NY we have “common core” mathematics. It's the king of all horsefeathers. Google it, if you can figure it out let me know so I can prepare when my daughter hits middle school.

Lol. Don't golf your breath waiting for me to figure it out.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Basically you do a whole bunch of calculus, geometry, and probably a compass to figure out that 5+5=9.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Basically you do a whole bunch of calculus, geometry, and probably a compass to figure out that 5+5=9.

Yeeeeup

It's almost as if the folks at the USGA are the brain children behind this program.

Drive 2500 miles out of the way to go to your local grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

If I were Bryson I'd ditch the old fashioned compass and go straight to the top with this baby. Why mess around with pencil and paper?

https://itsagimmegolf.com

gimmeprod6.jpg

• Like 3

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't understand the outrage.

This is clearly "unusual equipment" on a golf course, and Bryson uses it to assist him, by his own admission. Based on the current rules, that makes it illegal.

Besides, what did he really gain by using it? I did a construct to see, and it might make a difference of 3 or 4 feet on one of the detailed green maps..

attachicon.gifgreen.png

In addition, he can still mark up his green book before he plays, without slowing everyone else down as he draws arcs on every tee or fairway. It seems to me that Bryson was doing this to show everyone how smart he thinks he really is, rather than deriving an actual advantage. I bet he does his practice round distance measurement with a laser that reads to the 0.1 yard, going to the closest whole yard isn't precise enough.

I'm with this guy on this matter. It's against the current rules. It's also beyond ridiculous IMO.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

If it's against the current rules... so be it. 

Gee.... I wonder why people think golf, and people who play, it are nuts? :rolleyes:

If his scientific method is that good why isn't he winning more.

The scientific stats...

2018 cuts made - 16/18

FedEx Cup - 6th

OWGR - 22

Wins - 2 (out of 59 total professional PGA starts... over 3%)

In other words, the guy is actually putting up rarified numbers. And it's undoubtedly one of the reasons he's under the microscope re: “the compass”.

• Like 2

:ping-small:___________G400 LST 9* - Ping Tour 65 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:adams-small:_Super Proto DHY 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus hX3 S
:adams-small: _Idea MB2 4-PW - Matrix Program 130 6.5
:cleveland-small:_________RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
Bettinardi.png.e7ca0ee7ba785611a4a144e16b6b93ab.png___SS38 Armlock
k_sig.jpg.00b599e7e823c61015277de38ca16982.jpg___'18 4-piece
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

This is just stupid. I am playing Baltusrol tomorrow with an anchored long putter and a compass in protest to the USGA. Least I could do playing in their backyard.

• Like 4

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

My opinion is that the USGA doesn't want GROW the game, they want to CONTROL the game; as they see fit. They'd probably prefer that very few of us play at all. We're not really “their kind of people”. I view them all as very “Judge Smails”-esque. (With ALL due respect to our very OWN Judge Smails...)

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

:bridgestone-small:  JGR 9.5*  Driver Graphite Design AD DI-6x 
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - AW)  KBS Tour 130x

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Wedges (54, 58)
MATI Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

I don't disagree with MGoBlue or jmikecpa but come on they have to enforce their rules. A compass? When a range finder isn't allowed a compass seems absurd.

It's never fun to be the one in charge - I agree that the USGA appears obsessed with being in charge.

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

I don't disagree with MGoBlue or jmikecpa but come on they have to enforce their rules. A compass? When a range finder isn't allowed a compass seems absurd.

It's never fun to be the one in charge - I agree that the USGA appears obsessed with being in charge.

I agree they have to enforce the rules but what rule is this enforcing? I think the rangefinder is a more technology based product which takes the skill out of it. You still have to know how to use the compass and what to do with it. The rangefinder you just click a button and it takes skill out of the game.

If the compass is illegal just mark inch lines on the pencil you use.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I agree they have to enforce the rules but what rule is this enforcing? I think the rangefinder is a more technology based product which takes the skill out of it. You still have to know how to use the compass and what to do with it. The rangefinder you just click a button and it takes skill out of the game.

If you can't use the compass just mark inch lines on the pencil you use.

If you can't use a compass you don't know where North is. That's pretty hard to do given that you need only know what time it is and where the sun is.

Is it allowable for me to know where the sun is?

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

I didn't like the use of the compass because it was one of those areas that seemed against the rules. That was my only gripe about its use. Same way that I thought what Phil did with hitting the moving putt should have been punished more severely than a 2 stroke penalty.

Do I think the rule and ruling against the compass as correct, no. It's a weird gray area. I like the idea of a player working to find their own data and using it to help them win. Just need to be within the rules of the game at the time and hope the USGA actually evolves.

• Like 1

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH - Aldila Synergy Blue 50 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

If you can't use a compass you don't know where North is. That's pretty hard to do given that you need only know what time it is and where the sun is.

Is it allowable for me to know where the sun is?

Um...rev...they mean the compass you use to draw circles with, not the kind that locates north.  The north south compass is specifically legal.  The other kind is a artificial device, unusual on a golf course, that Bryson was specifically using to measure distances on his green book.  That makes it fairly clearly against the rule as it is worded now.  For better or worse, the USGA has to enforce the rules as they are written, even when the result (like this one) seems a bit over the top.  On the plus side, this leaves one fewer ways for Bryson to slow up play while he over-evaluates every possible variable in every shot.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I was actually very shocked that it was ruled as illegal. 

With him being an engineer, what would prevent him from saying my finger, or pencil, is x long and doing the same thing as he did with the compass?  Granted it won't be as precise, but I bet it would be close.  Would his finger now be illegal?  If I'm not mistaken, he was just using the compass with a scale saying 1 in = 6 feet.  I would venture to guess that when he went to look at his putt, he counted his steps to the hole from a certain point, knowing 1 step equals 3 feet, to verify where they said they put the hole is actually where it was.

Also how many times has he used it before he was actually in one of the final groups where the TV cameras were on him?  I'm sure this wasn't the first time, and to my knowledge he's not regularly put on the clock for slow play if that's the argument.  

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

Curious though, since the compass was deemed “illegal”, does that make Bryson a cheater? Was he then DQ'd from the tournaments where he used it? Or does he forfeit the money earned in those tourney's? In other cases, when a player was deemed to have broken the rules, they were assessed penalties,even after the round was over. Just wondering. If there is no penalty, then was it really illegal, or was it just something the USGA didn't like, so they made it illegal at that time. So it wasn't illegal, they didn't like it so they made it a rule that he can't use it.

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Curious though, since the compass was deemed “illegal”, does that make Bryson a cheater? Was he then DQ'd from the tournaments where he used it? Or does he forfeit the money earned in those tourney's? In other cases, when a player was deemed to have broken the rules, they were assessed penalties,even after the round was over. Just wondering. If there is no penalty, then was it really illegal, or was it just something the USGA didn't like, so they made it illegal at that time. So it wasn't illegal, they didn't like it so they made it a rule that he can't use it.

They have never once assessed a penalty after an entire competition was closed.  They took specific care to explain that Bryson was not going to be penalized.

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

They have never once assessed a penalty after an entire competition was closed. They took specific care to explain that Bryson was not going to be penalized.

But they have assessed a penalty after a round during the tournament. They just hadn't made a decision on this until after the competition was over.

I just think the USGA did t know what to do, but I'm not sure how this should be illegal, the pin sheets that are given give all the information, he used the compass to plot the actual location on the sheet, instead of using the generic plot that the USGA gave him. Other than the possible time issues I don't see a problem with this. If they would assess time penalties this wouldn't be an issue since he would be well over the time limit while doing this.

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

But they have assessed a penalty after a round during the tournament. They just hadn't made a decision on this until after the competition was over.

I just think the USGA did t know what to do, but I'm not sure how this should be illegal, the pin sheets that are given give all the information, he used the compass to plot the actual location on the sheet, instead of using the generic plot that the USGA gave him. Other than the possible time issues I don't see a problem with this. If they would assess time penalties this wouldn't be an issue since he would be well over the time limit while doing this.

This is from Rule 34-1:

b. Stroke Play

In stroke play, a penalty must not be rescinded, modified or imposed after the competition has closed. A competition is closed when the result has been officially announced or, in stroke play qualifying followed by match play, when the player has teed off in his first match.

They MAY apply penalties between rounds in a multiple-day event, but once the results are announced, they may not apply a penalty.  Bryson is safe.

And again, the issue is that Bryson used a "device".  The compass is unquestionably a device, and there's no question in my mind that its "unusual" on a golf course, and Bryson said he used it to establish distances on his detailed greens book.  I'm not sure how they could justify allowing it, given the wording of the rule.

I'm looking at the 2019 rules, and wondering about Bryson's compass, and even the use of "greens books."  Under the new rules, you won't be allowed to use "equipment" that artificially eliminates or reduces the need for a skill or judgement that is essential to the challenge of the game".  To me, the detailed greens books showing degrees of slope and directions of breaks do just that, reduce the need for skill or judgement.  On the other hand, you WILL be allowed to get "information on distance or direction (such as from a distance-measuring device or compass)."   I know, its a different kind of compass, but could the compass be back in?  

Right handed

Reston, Virginia