TESTERS WANTED! ×

Issue With New Custom Driver

Hi All,

I got a new custom driver a few weeks ago from a Top 100 Clubfitter according to Golf Digest. I tried 5 or 6 different shafts and 5 or 6 different club heads. We looked at all the numbers and figured out which combo was best. I was cranking it out there on the simulator with this particular combo.

I played with it for the first time yesterday. Was duffing drives, which I never do. And when I did hit it, the ball flight was extremely low. There were one or two drives that I did hit well, but mostly what I described before. The only thing different from the fitting is the grip on the club, because they don't change out the grips during the fitting.

Any ideas on why this was happening? Maybe just getting used to it? Irons were struck well during the round, so I wouldn't say my swing was off for the day. Hard to score well when I am in the rough off the tee all day. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I would just say you had an off day. Give it a couple of rounds to get used to it and go from there. If you still can't hit it and you hit the old driver well; hit the one you know you can hit. Still probably just a day where the swing wasn't on.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

That's just weird overall. It seems as long as most metrics were similar, like 10° (or whatever), shaft length, shaft flex, then it shouldn't be THAT different to hit. And should actually be better and easier.

Duffing and hitting low are results of flat missing the sweet spot, and now a days, they're as big as a dollar bill.

Sounds like you were pressing maybe?

Maybe need to tee it up a tad higher?

Go to range and start off with some easier swings just to make contact, and ramp it up as you get more consistent.

What brand club and shaft is it?

Loft?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

If you were striking the other clubs in your bag well then I don't believe there was any "swing issue" or "off day" happening.

Hopefully the place you bought the driver will allow you to return it, if not for a cash refund then at least a store credit.

Rather than use a simulator, I recommend trying drivers out on the golf course, which I find is the true test for performance. On the course one sees real trajectory, real distances, and the playing reality of mixing the driver tee box swings in with playing irons, wedges, hybrids, putts etc...

There are retailers which allow you to test clubs on the course, for multiple rounds, and then return for store credit if you decided you want to try something else.

I sometimes have days that I can't hit the driver but have a great day with the irons. I think it was an off day. I agree testing on course with a launch monitor is best but I would still give it a few more rounds.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Often when you get a new toy you are so eager to smash it out of the box you without knowledge create some swing faults. If you were fitted then obviously it performed well in a controlled environment. I recommend you simply relax and swing naturally. I would not throw in the towel just yet.

FYI- if you do take it to the range DONT hit more than one ball in a row with it. Pull out a 7 and wedge and hit the driver every third shot. Again relax, don't try to kill it and maintain a normal tempo.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Often times flight monitors can give less then accurate information. Depending on the launch monitor your can get an extra 20% off of hits, distance and left and right. This skews the flight path and left and right flights. Give it a little bit and if not go back to the club fitter and tell them it isn't working.

hugo-boss.jpgSilvermere-Custom-Fitting-PXG-140x140.pn

Epic Sub - Zero Driver
           Callaway XR16 - 3 Wood
          Callaway XR16 - 5 Hybrid
                     PXG 0311
             Titleist SM7 50, 55, 60
                Scotty Cameron

I had the same problem after a fitting. I could never hit the club correctly and ended up switching drivers. I think in some cases the video is very forgiving. I also thankfully had a club demo where I could try a driver on a range which I think is huge. You can physically see where the ball is going.

Finding a good driver is like finding a wife. You have to take her out on at least a few dates and test her out quite a bit before being sold on her. If I had made a decision on marriage after the first date, I'd still be single.

Several years ago I purchased a Callaway driver, after playing the same Ping G5 driver for many years. I hit the Ping driver so consistent that I could usually count on upwards of 75% of the fairways to be hit with it. But the Callaway driver was all over the map, spraying it left and right and I had no idea what it was going to do off of the tee. After several months of this nonsense, I switched back to my Ping driver, and I was back to consistent fairways.

Last year I got fitted for a Ping G400 driver and I am 100% happy with it. Goes longer, and I can move that sucker right to left, or left to right seemingly at will. But I know my specs and I can tell you that I'll have this driver in my bag for a very long time.

The one thing I should mention is that I had a stiff shaft in that Callaway driver, and I am quite sure that was causing my issues. I use the stock Ping regular flex shaft in their drivers that feels much better to me, that I have a lot of control with. The stiff flex shaft was so inconsistent as to be impossible to predict what it would do.

So while my issue was with shaft flex, what you are describing sounds eerily familiar to me with regards to that Callaway driver I had. But as others have suggested, play it for a good month (at least 5 rounds) before firing it. Every lady needs a fair chance to prove herself worthy of a spot in my bag before I cast her away forever.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I won't and can't get into driver head specs, shaft specs or LM data. It's all in one ear and out the other with me. I'm assuming your fitting was indoor and with a Launch monitor even though you said simulator.

The first thing i'd have tried after having issues with the new driver would have been to take both drivers (old and new) out on the range and or on the course and hit both of them. Play a round with both drivers in your bag and see what you discover.

I'm a feel and visual player. Yes, I have custom fit and built clubs and I trust my fitter. He's very good at his craft. Additionally, I don't think LM's are the end all be all either. They're just a tool. For me and where drivers and irons are concerned.... it's using them in the real world meaning on the course under normal playing conditions. It's completely what I see and feel. That's where the rubber meets the road if you will. All the behind the scenes data means nothing to me. I leave that to my fitter. It helps him help me. He's the one I trust to understand and use it to my advantage.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The other thing to remember is that launch monitors can be set up differently. They allow you to control elevation, wind, ground hardness, etc.

If you are not getting baseline numbers with your current club(s) then your aren't doing a complete fitting. By doing this you can compare to what you typically see on the course and if the new clubs offer improvements in the LM environment.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Finding a good driver is like finding a wife. You have to take her out on at least a few dates and test her out quite a bit before being sold on her. If I had made a decision on marriage after the first date, I'd still be single.

G Swag sentiments match my own. I swear drivers have personalities. You have to take them out for a few rounds (or beers) to get to know one another.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

• 2 weeks later...

Simulator you say? There's the problem. Find a fitter that has an outdoor range where you can see ball flight. The numbers matter, sure, but they're a fine tuning measurement. Nothing replicates seeing ball flight, don't care what the fitter is ranked.

I'd also have him check the shaft frequency in what you got vs what you tried. If I can't buy the exact club I'm hitting, I won't buy there because manufacturers tolerances are all over the map

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 3 weeks later...

Im going to suggest the fitting method/process pretty much set you up to fail. Just going by the number of shafts and heads you mentioned you probably hit, what, 80-100 drives? Easy to find yourself in groove where you start playing ‘beat the launch monitor' rather than fitting to your swing. Plus folks have a tendency to press that X button to delete their bad shots

I've always gone with the mindset of use demo days to figure out what club head you want and use the fitting to get the right specs.

Simulator you say? There's the problem. Find a fitter that has an outdoor range where you can see ball flight. The numbers matter, sure, but they're a fine tuning measurement. Nothing replicates seeing ball flight, don't care what the fitter is ranked.

I'd also have him check the shaft frequency in what you got vs what you tried. If I can't buy the exact club I'm hitting, I won't buy there because manufacturers tolerances are all over the map

I'm actually the opposite. Best fitting I had was on a LM and had them turn the screen off. I wanted no idea of where the ball was going so I couldn't adjust to it. I hit the shot, said if it felt solid and let the numbers fall into place.

Archived