TESTERS WANTED! ×

Who on here ever copied a pros putting or short game

Last few seasons I've been using my V1 app and was copying Ben Crenshaw's putting stroke.And started emulating the wonderful chipping and pitch strokes of Jason Dufner.Seems like everyone tries and copies the full swing with video.Who on here ever used video to emulate the greats short games using slow motion

Been working wonders for me

Seve's short game. Quite difficult to get good videos, but the way he used the bounce on his wedges, and chipped with deadly precision.

I've also tried Dufner's pitching method, but the lack of wrist hinge messes me up. I have to have at least a little or my timing is off.

I can't say I've ever tried to copy any pros stroke/swing or style of play. I've envied a few of them for sure. I have however, taken tips from TV tour pros and my swing coach-instructor and tried to incorporate them into my own game. But copy... neh. Two different animals.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I certainly have Bubba'a swing(for me not a good thing). But for short game I try have a putting style similar to Spieth and a chipping style like Phil.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Seve's short game. Quite difficult to get good videos, but the way he used the bounce on his wedges, and chipped with deadly precision.

I've also tried Dufner's pitching method, but the lack of wrist hinge messes me up. I have to have at least a little or my timing is off.

me 2, Jason Day has no wrist break in chipping and I tried to copy that, but I can thin a 20 yd sand wedge 140 yds and it waves at the pin as it flies over it still rising! ;)

I've found just letting my bodys natural wrist break kick in when it feels it should is working exceptionally well just now (famous last words, probably chunk, fat and thin from now on lol)

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I certainly have Bubba'a swing(for me not a good thing). But for short game I try have a putting style similar to Spieth and a chipping style like Phil.

so have I, mine is like Phil Silvers though! ;)

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

I have kind of copied Jordan Spieth's starring at his target line for short to mid range putts. I don't do it while making the stroke like he does, but I use looking back at the ball as a trigger and it has helped a TON!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I try to copy Bubba's swing and Phil's putting style...to say the least, I have a lot of learning to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mavrik 9* - Graphite Design AD-GP

Epic Flash 3+ 13.5* - Graphite Design AD-GP

XR 16 3 Hybrid 19* - KBS Tour Hybrid Steel

2019 Apex/Apex Pro Smoke 4 - PW - TT Elevate Tour VSS Black

Titliest Jet Black Vokey SM8 50* 54* 58* - Graphite Design Tour AD-75

Toulon H7 Las Vegas - Stroke Lab

Supersoft (winter), Chromesoft, or Pro V1

I try to copy Bubba's swing and Phil's putting style...to say the least, I have a lot of learning to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have high hands at the top like Bubba, nowhere near the speed or talent. But I'm lanky and that's how I get my speed what little I have. Nice and wide arc.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away....

I don't use video analysis tools for it, but I will watch tour highlights on YouTube and try to emulate what I see. Been trying to copy Jason Day's short game swing recently. I like the way he takes the club back and through and he's no slouch either. For putting, I really like Rickie Fowler's stroke. Hard to find anyone on tour right now with that kind of rhythm and flow.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

How do you get the details on how to copy someone's putting stroke. Copying a players stoke would require details on their mechanics and I see very little information published to that detail. Same for their swing.

Guess I don't understand the purpose of copying the way a player swings the club. What if their physical limitations don't match up with yours? I think you can take some of their theories on what they are trying to do but I would be too afraid it would mess up my swing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

How do you get the details on how to copy someone's putting stroke. Copying a players stoke would require details on their mechanics and I see very little information published to that detail. Same for their swing.

Guess I don't understand the purpose of copying the way a player swings the club. What if their physical limitations don't match up with yours? I think you can take some of their theories on what they are trying to do but I would be too afraid it would mess up my swing.

When I was a really bad putter, I tried everything... yes, even lessons from the pro!  I just didn't have the feel for putting so distance was off, and I didn't see the line.  One day, I tried to emulate Jack's putting setup, open to the line and it's help me see the line better.  Once I had a better idea of the line, I felt more confident and then my speed control got better.  I played that way for many years, then eventually changed to a square setup when I started looking at the hole when I made the stroke.  No reason to setup open if I'm not looking at the ball/line when making the stroke.  So, yes I have copied a pros putting technique.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Lee Trevino's chipping technique.

Essentially because it's so simple and easy to replicate, not a lot of moving parts, and it's easy to get consistent and accurate with it. ... I still teach it today.

I like Lee, whats his main technique?

. So, yes I have copied a pros putting technique.

Based on what you posted you copied his setup or his approach not his technique. Technique to me is the actual mechanics of the stroke; how he actually performs the stroke. Did Jack use a particular arm to power the stoke, both arms, shoulders? How about ball position? Tempo?

Of course we are starting to define the word technique

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Stricker on the short game. And Jordan Spieth copied me on putting. Since I have been doing it since he was 12.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

For me it's not so much about creating an exact duplicate of their swing or putting stroke - I doubt seriously I could ever achieve that. However, trying to emulate a swing (or at least certain aspects of a swing) to develop a different feel are well within the realm of possibility. I have struggled in the past with a very inside takeaway and flat position at the top. To try and remedy that, I envision taking the club back like Ryan Moore or Jim Furyk. I don't actually match their positions, but feeling like I do, gets me on a much better path that's less inside.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Based on what you posted you copied his setup or his approach not his technique. Technique to me is the actual mechanics of the stroke; how he actually performs the stroke. Did Jack use a particular arm to power the stoke, both arms, shoulders? How about ball position? Tempo?

Of course we are starting to define the word technique

Of course no one knows Jack's actual mechanics of the stroke... except Jack.  However, to me at the time it was a matter that if I setup like Jack, maybe I could putt like Jack.  I certainly wasn't going to be worse than I was.  I do believe that I have always used my trail arm to power the stroke with my lead arm providing stability for the stroke.  Now that I am looking at the hole, I use my shoulders more, but my trail arm still does most of the work.  I always practice one-handed putts with my trail hand maintaining a cupped wrist.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

One thing I've copied is how Curtis Strange somewhat hovered his club off the ground on all shots.It helped me not get the club stuck in the takeaway in tough lies.And slightly hovering the putter like Strange helped as well

Keep it in the short stuff

When I was young - not any more though other than their rhythm -

I recognize that I'm not a professional athlete. Also touring pros are way too mechanical as putters for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

. Also touring pros are way too mechanical as putters for my taste.

Interesting statement. I think they focus on making sure their mechanics are sound, but when executing on game day they are very feel based. Each player is different and they a fall at different points on a sliding scale between mechanical and feel based with no one on either end.

I am very mechanical when I practice, but when I get to the course I used the feels that the mechanics have ingrained.

I would hesitate to try too hard to copy a pros technique or stroke. My reason for that is that these guys have the absolute best equipment, coaches, and data analysts who are working on every single little technical detail of their swing and what results this will produce when they are out on the course. So really I feel like they may be after a certain result that might not be best for the game of us mere mortals on the course. 

However, I will also say that if you have found something that helps make you more consistent around the greens that can literally never hurt. For example, I recently discovered that if I set up with just a few degrees of forward shaft lean when putting it starts the ball rolling faster and has drastically improved my distance control. I guess what I'm getting at is for a high handicapper like myself I should focus more on just making good consistent contact every time before I start to emulate the swing of guys who will always be miles better than me. 

WITB?  Ping traverse bag

Driver: TaylorMade M2, 10*, 

Fairway woods: TaylorMade Aeroburner

Driving Iron: Srixon U65 2 iron, 18*, 

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 4-PW,

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Odyssey Versa blade putter

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I would hesitate to try too hard to copy a pros technique or stroke. My reason for that is that these guys have the absolute best equipment, coaches, and data analysts who are working on every single little technical detail of their swing and what results this will produce when they are out on the course. So really I feel like they may be after a certain result that might not be best for the game of us mere mortals on the course.

However, I will also say that if you have found something that helps make you more consistent around the greens that can literally never hurt. For example, I recently discovered that if I set up with just a few degrees of forward shaft lean when putting it starts the ball rolling faster and has drastically improved my distance control. I guess what I'm getting at is for a high handicapper like myself I should focus more on just making good consistent contact every time before I start to emulate the swing of guys who will always be miles better than me.

I feel like the point of trying to emulate some else's game who is better than you is so you can improve. If you have a terrible slice; trying to copy Kevin Kisner who plays a draw might be a good idea. In theory if you copy Kisner's motion you will hit a draw.

I think the problem with trying to copy someone's game is the inability to do it perfectly. If you can do it exactly the same then you should get similar results. The problem is we don't have the natural talent to emulate it 100% accurately.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived