Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Byron Morgan DH89

Topline

About a year ago I switched from Cameron to the Byron Morgan brand. The reason I switched is because the Cameron putter line's head weight had become too heavy for my needs. Specifically, I am comfortable playing a 36.5" length putter, and at that extra long length it is helpful to have a relatively light putter head weight.

Byron Morgan was capable and willing to make the 334 gram head weight I wanted, so I placed an order for one his DH89 (Anser-Newport style head) putters.Six weeks after placing my order I received a beautiful carbon head black oxide finish putter, including my specifications of 71* lie, 4* loft, topline, cavity and bumper stamps,  On the practice green and course I came to believe that my Byron putter was of as good or better quality than the Cameron Newport and Cameon 009 models I had previously played.

I have enjoyed playing the Byron DH89 black oxide so much I've since ordered and received the same putter model-specs with different finishes; including a carbon with oil can finish, a stainless with a bead blast finish, and a stainless with brushed finish. Now I rotate these 4 putters for my on course play and  putting green practice sessions.

If you have an idea for a custom job you would like, I recommend Byron Morgan , he makes a great putter  :)

IMG_1451.JPG

Driver Mizuno JPX-EZ GD Tour AD-DI

Fairways Mizuno JPX-EZ 3 and 5 metals GD Tour AD-DJ

Iron set Mizuno MP 63 3-PW DG S300

Wedges Mizuno MP-T5 52* and 58* DG wedge shaft

Putter Byron Morgan DH89

Very nice

Were you fit for your putter?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Very nice

Were you fit for your putter?

Yes :)

Am I correct in assuming that your fitting was just doing a wrist to floor measurement and going on the course hitting putts like you indicate how the other clubs should be fitted?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My putter fitting involved taking to the practice green and course a wide range of putter lengths, head shapes, head weights,  lie angles, lofts, and grip types.

And doing what?   Provide more details on how this contributed to your shooting lower scores. Based on your club approach any putter would have worked equally well so why do a "fitting".  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As written in my original post, my intention was to buy a custom Byron Morgan putter. My "putter fit" starting point was to find a comfortable length, and a lie angle that would allow the sole of the putter to lay flat at that length. Once those two factors were found the putter head weight and grip weight were chosen to make for a reasonably balanced finished putter.

Regarding shooting lower scores, for all golf shots my focus is on improving technique, always.

I buy new equipment only for the fun of it.

You basically picked a design and weight you liked and had it adjusted to how you take your stance.  Your technique improvement isn't really about "improving" technique but changing how you putt to fit the putter.   That is an approach,  but it has a tendency to not stand the test of time.  I would have hoped that you would have tried the different putters to see which ones provided you the best roll, distance control, line,  visual perspective, etc.    

Nice putter,  but you really weren't "fit"

In a previous post I wrote that part of the process was me trying a wide range of putter head shapes, head weights, shaft lengths etc....

I asked you to detail the process and you said:

"My "putter fit" starting point was to find a comfortable length, and a lie angle that would allow the sole of the putter to lay flat at that length. Once those two factors were found the putter head weight and grip weight were chosen to make for a reasonably balanced finished putter."

Nothing in that describes how you assessed the putters; which means you just picked something you liked the feel of.   You then said:

"part of the process was me trying a wide range of putter head shapes, head weights, shaft lengths etc...."

What were you looking for when trying the head shapes, weights, etc?    How did you decide what was the best configuration?

Guys this is getting old. Knock it off

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Every thread turning into an argument lately. Not saying everything should be a huge circle jerk but yikessssss

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Every thread turning into an argument lately. Not saying everything should be a huge circle jerk but yikessssss

Sorry, not trying to make this into an argument. I am truly trying to understand the approach that Topline used to fit his putter. My read between the lines is that he took a bunch of different putters to a putting green, captured data on how he hit each of them, and used that data to identify the best putter for his stroke. Basically a comprehensive self fitting based on data. Essentially what we advocate here.

I also believe based on reading his posts that he believes that the same practices apply to the other clubs in the bag, he just doesn't believe technology will help and doesn't believe unless you are scratch it will help.

About a year ago I switched from Cameron to the Byron Morgan brand. The reason I switched is because the Cameron putter line's head weight had become too heavy for my needs. Specifically, I am comfortable playing a 36.5" length putter, and at that extra long length it is helpful to have a relatively light putter head weight.

Byron Morgan was capable and willing to make the 334 gram head weight I wanted, so I placed an order for one his DH89 (Anser-Newport style head) putters.Six weeks after placing my order I received a beautiful carbon head black oxide finish putter, including my specifications of 71* lie, 4* loft, topline, cavity and bumper stamps, On the practice green and course I came to believe that my Byron putter was of as good or better quality than the Cameron Newport and Cameon 009 models I had previously played.

I have enjoyed playing the Byron DH89 black oxide so much I've since ordered and received the same putter model-specs with different finishes; including a carbon with oil can finish, a stainless with a bead blast finish, and a stainless with brushed finish. Now I rotate these 4 putters for my on course play and putting green practice sessions.

If you have an idea for a custom job you would like, I recommend Byron Morgan , he makes a great putter :)

Do they all feel the same or do some of the finishes have a slightly different feel?

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Archived