Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

equipment prices

Does anyone else think that prices have gotten out of hand?

Now just mind you that I am quoting Canadian Dollars.

$500 for a putter - Evnroll & Cameron.

My wife will cut my balls off if I spent 500 on a putter.

$600 for drivers.

new Garmin rangefinder $799 - Ouch😣😣. I love the feature of seeing the layout of the hole in the view,but...

$ 400 now for Fairway woods.

Underarmor shoes $300

I've noticed irons creeping up in prices too. A few years back,the top of the line clubs were hovering around $900. Now up to $1500.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Drivers took a big jump about 4 years ago but have pretty much stabilized since then. Some irons have jumped in the past two years. Most every OEM has a premium line that goes for $1400 and higher. But many of them still have sets in the $700 to $900 range.

Same with putters and wedges. Still plenty in the $100 range even with some costing $300 to $400.

So to me it's a lot like cars. There's a model and price point for just about everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I think they have gotten out of hand.  I only look at used or closeout clubs, typically two generations back.  That said, I paid through the nose on my Evnroll.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Odd that you mention prices being out of control, and yet only note the highest of the high end models.

I was going to say the same. There are plenty of brand new clubs you can get far less expensive than what's in the OP from looking at the Golf Town (Canada) website. Rob had a good analogy with cars - there's a line and a price point for everyone.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Drivers were $500 many years ago so when you add in new tech, more shaft offerings as stock, r&d $$$, etc they are still pretty well priced. Irons vary from $800-2kish depending on brand and club type.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

IMO they are reasonable - lots of options out there at a variety of price points plus there's always the eBay or last years model discounted route.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think the other aspect that should be considered is how long you plan on keeping the clubs. For those that change clubs on a yearly basis, they are expensive. If you keep the clubs in the bag for 5 or even 10 years. The costs don't seem as overwhelming. This is why the second hand marks is great to pick up clubs and you generally can find what fits your game.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

thanks guys. great feedback.

Yes. there are models and prices to fit ever budget. My putter is a Nike Method and I absolutely love it. Shoes are a good example of this. I will only change when my feet start hurting.

I wonder though if it could be like green fees. People will only pay so much?

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I personally have no issues with any of the pricing. Many times people bock at pricing because they're forever changing equipment. A good fitting would save a ton of money IMO. Well and not always having to have the newest shiny toys.

The one thing that the marketers do an amazing job of is convincing us that we must have the latest and greatest equipment to perform, which means that we would need to buy new clubs every year and then that expense just becomes too much.

As mentioned previously, if you view clubs as an investment for every 5-10 years, then the price doesn't seem to be too high.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I think the price/cost of new equipment is maybe a little pricey. But then it all depends....

My irons were a little pricey but mine were custom fit and built. I expected to pay a little more. I go by one of our local golf shops from time to time and always look in their trade-in / used rack. From what I see the price of new clubs must not bother a lot of people because I see lots of almost brand new irons and drivers in there all the time. They were either sold outright or traded. And they are being resold at great (lower) prices! I'd never hesitate to buy a "like new" driver off the rack if that's what I wanted and the specs aligned. Same with buying used online. I've purchased several brand new drivers that were a couple of years old for under $100!!

Used golf equipment is kind of like furniture. Go buy a new couch off the showroom and pay top dollar. Then next month it's worth less than half. Same with golf equipment IMO.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived