Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

I final succumbed

Woobie

Hi all.

For years I have told all that would listen that I am terrible at putting. It is the only part of my game that I actually regularly practice.

I continually trawl YouTube videos for tips/techniques to try and help my poor flat stick form.

On my day I can putt the spots off it, but generally if it's 5 ft I'm less than 50%. My current handicap is 10 but have been as low as 8.

So last week after another round of 5-3 putts, I headed into our local golf retailer and asked for a putter fit. I have known the fitter for years but doubt he knows my game style at all.

With no knowledge of my current putter or swing type he gave me a spider type putter, 2 putts later he took it back, that's not for you. Then to something that looked like it came off the Starship Enterprise, 1 putt and he told me it was wrong too. Then to an Asner style with an offset hosel, 2 more putts and back on the rack. Then to a heel shafted mallet style, 2 more and we were getting close he said. “I've got what you need out the back” he said. Out comes a Wilson Staff 8802!

While the look was not what I have been used to or seen before I gave it a go. 4/4 from 7 feet on the practice green. WOW.

So with NO practice I put it in play the next day. To my surprise, my first round this year (I play twice per week) with NO 3 putts. I shot 3 under nett in the monthly medal and won A grade. I also only missed 1 putt from under 10 feet.

I played another 9 today with my brother and still no 3 putts.... this never happens, even 2 putted from 19 meters on the last, making a 13 foot save with 18 inch break so save my par.

In summary. The half hour it took for the fitting, I ended up with a putter I would never have picked up off the rack, but wow has it been good for my game. So if your having a fight with something in your bag go get a fitting with an open mind, what we THINK we need may be counter productive to what our swing really needs.

Cheers from Tassy

Steve.

Awesome to hear. Especially that it translated from the demo green to the course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

People always say to use the putter that gives you confidence. Confidence comes from having a putter that fits your needs. The right putter produces better rests and the better results give you more confidence. Now that you have found the putter don't give up on it after a bad round.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thank you for the story. Great to hear the results are showing for you.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Great to hear you found the putter that's right for you!  I definitely need to get a putter fitting...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

First let me thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations on your putting!!!  Reading your story hit home with me because I have been known to 3 putt a time or 50, but also because I played in a scramble on Saturday with a guy who told me that he had got his new irons about a month ago and was "still getting used to them".  He told me about his buying experience and that he tried several different sets during his fitting, but ultimately and went with the Taylor made p790's.  Here is the fun part... He chose the 790's because "they looked the best to me, and if they look good, I will play good. After all, golf is a mental game right?"  He then went on to explain that as he hit the different irons during his fitting, he hit multiple other sets better than the 790, but could not get over the fact that he liked the way the 790's looked, so he bought them. (Along with a fancy new huge Taylor Made cart bag because who can get a new set of Taylor made irons and put them in your old golf bag???)  

The whole conversation totally blew my mind, so I was pleasantly surprised to open up MGS and read that over here there are people who put a little more thought into what goes into their bag. I was just dumb founded the rest of the round as I watched him chunk shot after shot, and then hear him explain that he is "just having a bad day, and normally doesn't play like this."

So again thank you for sharing and having the brains to go with what works for you and not what you think is the sexier club! Ok rant over...

:ping-small: G30 Driver

:ping-small: G30 3 and 5 Wood

:ping-small: i200 red dot 4-U

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 54 and 58

Scotty Cameron Fastback Select

i got fitted about 15 years ago for my current putter. You'll never get it out of my bag. I even allowed my Dad to give me the same putter Jason Day was putting with a couple of years ago. It lasted about a month in my bag before I was 3-putting from 2 feet with it over and over again.

You did the exact right thing. You get fitted for what works for you. That's why Zach Johnson has been using the same putter since before he won the 2007 Masters, and Corey Pavin has been using that same ugly bullseye putter for what? 30+ years?

Finding the right putter is like finding a wife. Once you find her, you know she's a keeper and you'll never let her go.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• 3 weeks later...

it's important to keep what you like instead of constantly trying to keep up with the latest trends or the Jones's.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

First let me thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations on your putting!!!  Reading your story hit home with me because I have been known to 3 putt a time or 50, but also because I played in a scramble on Saturday with a guy who told me that he had got his new irons about a month ago and was "still getting used to them".  He told me about his buying experience and that he tried several different sets during his fitting, but ultimately and went with the Taylor made p790's.  Here is the fun part... He chose the 790's because "they looked the best to me, and if they look good, I will play good. After all, golf is a mental game right?"  He then went on to explain that as he hit the different irons during his fitting, he hit multiple other sets better than the 790, but could not get over the fact that he liked the way the 790's looked, so he bought them. (Along with a fancy new huge Taylor Made cart bag because who can get a new set of Taylor made irons and put them in your old golf bag???)  

The whole conversation totally blew my mind, so I was pleasantly surprised to open up MGS and read that over here there are people who put a little more thought into what goes into their bag. I was just dumb founded the rest of the round as I watched him chunk shot after shot, and then hear him explain that he is "just having a bad day, and normally doesn't play like this."

So again thank you for sharing and having the brains to go with what works for you and not what you think is the sexier club! Ok rant over...

that's funny.

I also need to like the look of a club before I will consider it,but i won't go so far as buying it if I cannot hit it.

When I decided to upgrade from my Mizuno MX-15's,I was keen on getting Titleist AP2. I loved the look of them. But when it came time to demo them,I couldn't hit them if my life depended upon it. So I went back to Mizuno and loved the Mp-25 and struck them with no issues. But as you may know,I am a huge Mizuno fan and so why would I consider Titleist. We'll, as a leftie,my options are limited and every one of Titleist clubs they make,they also make in a left- handed version. For a company to do that,deserves my respect. There are some companies out there that have no consideration for us,and hence won't get my respect. So after a long deliberation,I decided to try them out. But now I am so greatful that it did not work out with them and went back to Mizuno's.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I am now 4 weeks and 99 holes in and cannot believe the difference. I have had 2-3 putts ( both from 20+meters on very undulating greens) and only missed 3 putts under 5 feet. For a guy who was a 3+ 3 putts every 18 holes and missed more than I made from outside 3 feet I couldn't be happier.

The 4 comps I've played including a medal off the back blocks where I finished -3 the worst stableford score I've shot is 34pts. My brother even commented at the weekend I made 5 putts that I would normally missed.

Great story, it's amazing how when you finally find the right putter how big of a difference it makes.

Glad you found yours and hope the ball keeps rolling in the hole for you!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

That's what it's all about!

Play well

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I can go to my 11" staff back stuffed with putters (including an 8802), choose one with my eyes closed, and go with that.  It doesn't matter.  Until the first good putter in the history of golf is designed, I'm going to give away strokes on the putting green.

Today, I got up at the butt crack of dawn and had breakfast at the club.  Up until now, I've just been hitting balls in my attempt to get back on the course.  I wanted to try a little chipping and putting for the first time. 

The practice green was understandably slow at that early hour, but the chipping and putting, for the short time that it lasted (it's a little after ten and I'm home already) , didn't go that badly. 

Picking up the balls didn't go that well, however.

This comeback thing is no sure deal.

Great story - glad it worked out for you. Every time I go to GG I try different putters and none seems to be better than my 8 year old Ping Scottsdale. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart