TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why people post there own topic on MGS.

RoverRick

I know that there has been a least 1 thread about why you came to MGS. Most people found it by searching club or swing info, perhaps finding the blog side and then moving over to the Light Side on the forums. Most people probably pursued the different chats. Then joined the forum and gradually participated in a thread or two.

Eventually, they may make their own thread because they have a question that they want other golfers opinions. So they post their question and the response the get is. “See your fitter!” Or “Talk to your pro.”

🤬no crap! We know the best answer is to talk to a professional, but if we would have wanted to do that wouldn't have joined this forum.

It's fine to include a disclaimer if that makes you feel better, but if all you are going to say is “See your pro....” then don't waste the effort to post it.

I'll now include my own disclaimer so I appease the people who think that we are steering innocents the wrong way.

“While I have made every effort to ensure the accuracy of this post, I assume no responsibility for errors, omissions, or damage therein cause. Actual results may vary, may cause anal leakage, consult your local professional.”

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I know that there has been a least 1 thread about why you came to MGS. Most people found it by searching club or swing info, perhaps finding the blog side and then moving over to the Light Side on the forums. Most people probably pursued the different chats. Then joined the forum and gradually participated in a thread or two.

Eventually, they may make their own thread because they have a question that they want other golfers opinions. So they post their question and the response the get is. “See your fitter!” Or “Talk to your pro.”

🤬no crap! We know the best answer is to talk to a professional, but if we would have wanted to do that wouldn't have joined this forum.

It's fine to include a disclaimer if that makes you feel better, but if all you are going to say is “See your pro....” then don't waste the effort to post it.

I'll now include my own disclaimer so I appease the people who think that we are steering innocents the wrong way.

“While I have made every effort to ensure the accuracy of this post, I assume no responsibility for errors, omissions, or damage therein cause. Actual results may vary, may cause anal leakage, consult your local professional.”

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

If your fitter has caused anal leakage you may want to consult with a new fitter

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

...hmmm...you had me until that last sentence.  :)

I hear ya - I don't have a pro, a coach, a membership, etc.  some swings are self-taught and self-made....not quite Bubba but same idea.

If you're reading the question and one of the thoughts that comes to you is "why doesn't he ask his 'pro'?" then it's probably a safe bet that there isn't a 'pro'....and you guys on the forum are the 'pro'.  :)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

So not only are people coming to MGS for free equipment they also want free advice. . Please note this is intended as a joke.

I know the go ask a pro response isn't always popular but I don't think any of us want to be responsible for messing up someone else's game. I do that to my own game. If the question is related to something I have a good knowledge base on I will provide my thoughts.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

When someone asks for advice, I do my best to only answer with things that are fact or I try not to answer at all.

If someone says "why do my shots start left and go left" I will respond because your swing is out to in and your club face angle at impact is closed relative to the target line.  I won't get into what swing faults could potentially be causing those issues. 

If I had suffered from a similar swing or equipment issue, I would say "this is what was causing my issue and this is how my pro had me fix it", but have the disclaimer that this is what worked to fix my issue and is not necessarily a universal solution.

I think the problem is some people respond as if their opinions are absolutes, and it causes issue when those opinions are factually incorrect.

We can still help each other out and give advice, but we need to think before we give advice.  Just because we believe something to be true doesn't mean it is.  If someone has a belief that is outdated or is not supported by fact and someone corrects them, that person needs to learn how to react without taking it personally.  The last thing we want on here is people spreading incorrect information about equipment, the swing, OEMs, marketing, etc.

But hey, this is the internet and today's culture in general.  People will argue their predetermined beliefs regardless of the facts, and they will only acknowledge facts that support their preconceived notions (confirmation bias)

Thank you for this thread, RR. I couldn't agree more.

If people want to add "go get fit" or "see your pro" as a disclaimer in addition to some useful contribution to the thread, that's fine.

But if that's the only thing they post...

It's gone so far that the OP has to add the disclaimer himself before posting the actual question to avoid the useless answers. That's just ridiculous.

But of course, since it's coming from "knowledgeable veteran spies" people won't say s*** about it.

Thanks for bringing it up, Rick.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I assume people are smart enough to know that others are giving advice based on their own experience. But you are right, I guess you never know... some people need a warning on their cup to know that the coffee is hot.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

-- it is amazing how many different ways/techniques/methods can be used to get the white ball into a 4.25 inch cup within the requested amount of strokes....one can only hope that there is an understanding that swings are like fingerprints and everyone has their own.

All that being said .... constructive comments are typically welcome and appreciated.

Surely no rational person will come back and say 'you told me to do X and it didn't work, you're an (insert rude term here)'....but if it works - GREAT!  If not, that's okay too...

Lastly - if, for example, someone asks for recommendations for a new club or clubs and explicitly states something like "I know I should go get fit but I'm asking anyway", an answer of "here's what I think are good clubs but you really should get fit" is a bit of a slap in the face, especially when the OP acknowledged the fact ahead of time.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

If your fitter has caused anal leakage you may want to consult with a new fitter

I wanted to include a little prize for those who read the entire post. I hope you were not expecting that phrase.

So not only are people coming to MGS for free equipment they also want free advice. . Please note this is intended as a joke.

I know the go ask a pro response isn't always popular but I don't think any of us want to be responsible for messing up someone else's game. I do that to my own game. If the question is related to something I have a good knowledge base on I will provide my thoughts.

Oddly enough, I was a active member on this forum for a month before I even learned that there was sometimes free clubs. Not until I won one. I didn't even know that there was a blog until someone referenced it in a conversation.

What prompted this was that I was reading several threads over the weekend, and there were several where the only thing someone wrote was to the effect of 'go see a pro'.

The (worthless) advice I offer here is what you paid for it. Nothing from nothing equals nothing.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I think the issue is symptomatic of the internet generation. People would rather consult Google first before going to see their own doctor (men especially) and golf related issues are no different.

I've even had people contacting me saying "I have a friend..."

The sad truth is people are still too embarrassed to see a doctor, or the case of golf, too embarrassed to see a pro - who incidentally are far more likely to be suitably qualified to give an informed opinion on the correct course of action.

But instead we still see a lot of folks seeking an opinion (or often reassurance on a recent blind purchase) from total strangers - who have never seen them swing a club or hit a ball. Bizarre? Maybe. Entertaining? Mostly. Informative? Occasionally.

For those in the USA, the good news is that you are not alone. There are more golf courses, pros and certified fitters than anywhere else on earth, meaning finding a solution to your golfing issues should be a breeze.

Unfortunately for the same number of golfers who play the game, the vast majority will still - even given the level of professional expertise on offer - self diagnose, not take lessons, not get fit, impulse buy and wonder why they get frustrated after 8 holes on the weekend.

It's enough to make you want to start a topic....

....just because they're plentiful doesn't mean they're cheap and doesn't mean they're good.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

....just because they're plentiful doesn't mean they're cheap and doesn't mean they're good.

That's your call. It does tend to eliminate the argument "there's nobody near where I live" though. And unless you've been to every single one in person, who's to say they aren't cheap or good or otherwise?

Opinions vary of course.

I think the issue is symptomatic of the internet generation. People would rather consult Google first before going to see their own doctor (men especially) and golf related issues are no different.

I've even had people contacting me saying "I have a friend..."

The sad truth is people are still too embarrassed to see a doctor, or the case of golf, too embarrassed to see a pro - who incidentally are far more likely to be suitably qualified to give an informed opinion on the correct course of action.

But instead we still see a lot of folks seeking an opinion (or often reassurance on a recent blind purchase) from total strangers - who have never seen them swing a club or hit a ball. Bizarre? Maybe. Entertaining? Mostly. Informative? Occasionally.

For those in the USA, the good news is that you are not alone. There are more golf courses, pros and certified fitters than anywhere else on earth, meaning finding a solution to your golfing issues should be a breeze.

Unfortunately for the same number of golfers who play the game, the vast majority will still - even given the level of professional expertise on offer - self diagnose, not take lessons, not get fit, impulse buy and wonder why they get frustrated after 8 holes on the weekend.

It's enough to make you want to start a topic....

And this is exactly why “go see a Pro or fitter” is a valid answer.

Frankly when I give that answer it's because the person asking the question is about to get bombarded with advice, much of it bad. There are knowledgeable people here but if someone's new how will they know what advice is sound and what advice is not?

If the person hasn't gotten the advice of seeing a fitter or their pro yet they're going to get it from me, this thread not withstanding, because it's sound advice. Trust me they will have no problem ignoring it if they don't want it. I know, I ignored that advice for years and it cost myself thousands of dollars in the process. But I own a ton of golf equipment now. :)

Oh and like Rick I had no idea about testing opportunities when I joined MGS. I had a question about golf balls and spin and found my answers. I also found some great conversation about the game and made some friends. So I stuck around.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

-- it is amazing how many different ways/techniques/methods can be used to get the white ball into a 4.25 inch cup within the requested amount of strokes....one can only hope that there is an understanding that swings are like fingerprints and everyone has their own.

I have 4 totally different golf swings that I can play. 4MM, Stack and Tilt, C Motion, and what I call my Steve Stricker swing. (Although this last one only resembles him as far as the wristcock and hitting under the ball with the bounce on the wedges. With the full swing not so much like him. I take more wristcock than him, and it is a smooth shoulder turn and the hips follow the shoulders.)

I have now played all of these for a couple of months each and know what is best for me. And also the pros and cons of each. I have no idea what is best for anyone else, and have said as much, but if I offer advice it is with the the caveat it may or may not work.

But the point is not whether the advice given in this, or any other forum about anything, is good advice. To me the purpose of the forums is to discuss not only advise.

Definition of forum. plural forums also fora \ˈfȯr-ə\ 1 a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business. b : a public meeting place for open discussion.

This is a place for open discussion, and while "See the Pro" may in fact be the best advice, that statement by itself does not benefit the forum.

And this is exactly why “go see a Pro or fitter” is a valid answer.

Frankly when I give that answer it's because the person asking the question is about to get bombarded with advice, much of it bad. There are knowledgeable people here but if someone's new how will they know what advice is sound and what advice is not?

If the person hasn't gotten the advice of seeing a fitter or their pro yet they're going to get it from me, this thread not withstanding, because it's sound advice. Trust me they will have no problem ignoring it if they don't want it. I know, I ignored that advice for years and it cost myself thousands of dollars in the process. But I own a ton of golf equipment now. :)

Oh and like Rick I had no idea about testing opportunities when I joined MGS. I had a question about golf balls and spin and found my answers. I also found some great conversation about the game and made some friends. So I stuck around.

This all presumes that said fitter or "pro" are competent....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

This is a place for open discussion, and while "See the Pro" may in fact be the best advice, that statement by itself does not benefit the forum.

Because the truth hurts? Or because a rambling thread on the intricacies of random equipment make for more interesting reading - however misleading they may be?

All that being said .... constructive comments are typically welcome and appreciated.

Surely no rational person will come back and say 'you told me to do X and it didn't work, you're an (insert rude term here)'....but if it works - GREAT!  If not, that's okay too...

Lastly - if, for example, someone asks for recommendations for a new club or clubs and explicitly states something like "I know I should go get fit but I'm asking anyway", an answer of "here's what I think are good clubs but you really should get fit" is a bit of a slap in the face, especially when the OP acknowledged the fact ahead of time.

What?  Are you telling me that I cannot hold my fellow spy's accountable should I opt to switch from my PE2's to these "purported" more advanced, even easier to hit and hit further irons - and they don't?  What is the world coming too when a guy can't get dependable information on an internet forum?   :)

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

What?  Are you telling me that I cannot hold my fellow spy's accountable should I opt to switch from my PE2's to these "purported" more advanced, even easier to hit and hit further irons - and they don't?  What is the world coming too when a guy can't get dependable information on an internet forum?   :)

That falls under the anal leakage clause. :lol:

.....wonder if anyone ever told Bubba to "go see a pro" when he had a question or issue?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

.....wonder if anyone ever told Bubba to "go see a pro" when he had a question or issue?

Exceptions don't prove rules - when someone here wins a Masters we can stop giving the advice. It's advice, it's a part of the discussion it's as ignorable as any other advice or part of the discussion.

I will continue to offer it in threads that merit. People will not be happy - they will think they are the next Bubba or the expert in the room - those thoughts and comments are allowable to but so is the tried and true advice of go see a professional of some sort.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Exceptions don't prove rules - when someone here wins a Masters we can stop giving the advice. It's advice, it's a part of the discussion it's as ignorable as any other advice or part of the discussion.

I will continue to offer it in threads that merit. People will not be happy - they will think they are the next Bubba or the expert in the room - those thoughts and comments are allowable to but so is the tried and true advice of go see a professional of some sort.

If the only comment in a thread....as the OP stated....is "go see a pro".... without any context than it truly is a waste.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

As probably one of the people who Rover Rick is referring to who posted over the weekend with the underlying theme of “see a pro” the real message I was trying to convey was, don't believe our own press. If your going to have a “club fitting”, don't tell the fitter what you want. Go in with a clear mind and you might be surprised what comes out. Just because a tour pro who practices for endless hours per day can hit said club doesn't mean I who plays here and there will have the same outcome!

As probably one of the people who Rover Rick is referring to who posted over the weekend with the underlying theme of “see a pro” the real message I was trying to convey was, don't believe our own press. If your going to have a “club fitting”, don't tell the fitter what you want. Go in with a clear mind and you might be surprised what comes out. Just because a tour pro who practices for endless hours per day can hit said club doesn't mean I who plays here and there will have the same outcome!

I do not even know who all the posters were, and it wasn't necessarily current threads as I was catching up on older discussions. I just didn't think that those comments in and of themselves were beneficial. Especially, since half the other posters said something to that effect in their posts.

I don't mind the “go see a pro” too much, except when every answer in the thread says it. I use it on occasion although I have never seen my pro. I have asked a question to the pro, but haven't gone to see him yet.

My swing is my swing, but there are times when some advice is given to someone and that will trigger something for me, so I like when there is advice thrown around good or bad, because you never know when a lightbulb will go off. So keep the crazy advice coming. Sometimes it works sometimes it dont

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Amen. I've seen a lot of good threads get derailed, and some one get angry (me) when all of the answers are go get fit.

I'm not going to say anything else about it, but I seriously have no fitting options within reason.

The dude here was going to use the titleist cart to fit me for mizuno irons, and said he doesn't fit for driver because they are mostly all the same.

So... I may not be a fitter, but I can raise the BS flag on this “fitter/pro” here..

Now everyone go get fit and see your pro.

Including a disclaimer of this is my advice however a pro might be able to help you better than I can is totally fine. You still give your advice but you note it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Good advice or bad advice is for the OP to decide but if every answer is go see your pro no attempt at helpful advice is made.

Part of the reason we ask questions is so we can improve together.

We also may not trust our pro or haven't found one we can trust.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

If the only comment in a thread....as the OP stated....is "go see a pro".... without any context than it truly is a waste.

Perhaps the OP is the one who could provide the disclaimer - Without that my assumption is he doesn't know any better and therefore I'm going to give the best possible advice which is to seek professional help. That's the best advice. I wouldn't do that to you or Shankster anymore because I know that you won't. So if you post something that I can comment on I do, if not I don't. I'm staying away from Shankster's swing video. I would have nothing positive to add.

Another sound piece of advice (that you have reminded me of) is this: you need to know enough to recognize if the pro or fitter that you are talking to knows his stuff. That's where MGS comes in.

So going forward if I'm compelled to give the see a fitter advice - I will add some sort of disclaimer. It's a little thing and I'm not looking to tick people off. I am looking to help others play better golf as I receive advice that helps me to play better. Most of the time getting better requires an occasional peek from a trained set of eyes while ignoring advice from well meaning friends.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It may be of help if one knows a qualified pro/fitter that lives in an area near the one posting the question. To avoid free and or unwanted information posted on line, you could PM the poster. That would be another way to help without providing advice.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Archived