Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Why people post there own topic on MGS.

RoverRick

Would be nice if a golf forum never had an instructional sub forum.All conversations are peaceful in most other chats.Not sure why chatting about how one swings a club causes so many too go nutso.

Turns into my teacher is better than your teacher.Or the smartest guy in the class syndrome.Little do they know that many top local scratch ams have many a swing faults.But still go out and shoot sub par golf

I have mentioned a number of times that a person might want to seek-out a Pro, or fitting, or truly professional advice when in their description of what “ails” them they don't mention having done-so. I then add what has worked for me, or what I found in a fitting, or lesson, but if the post doesn't have in it “I have tried a fitting/lesson/seeing a pro”, I usually add that this would be a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

This all presumes that said fitter or "pro" are competent....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Some instructors are quacks, sure. So are some doctors, some attorneys, some financial advisors, some IT consulting client managers...

My first instructor sucked. But after that, all of the ones I've had the pleasure of working with have been very good. So I guess I'm biased. I had two great instructors at the club where I worked, who really wanted to see me get better. And I did. Working there, I got to know them and their business pretty well. The good parts and the tough parts. And believe me, there are more tough parts than good parts in that business.

Volunteering at TFT, I've gotten to know several more good instructors who have helped me and my girls. They've gotten my girls to improve in ways that I could never have. My youngest just had a breakthrough at her last lesson and played her best nine holes ever, by a long shot. And I knew what she was doing wrong, but I didn't have the ability to express it in a way that could get it through to her like her teacher did. I'd be doing her a grave disservice if I tried to teach her.

Her teacher and I have a deal. He doesn't manage IT consulting engagements, and I don't teach golf.

I know there are people out there that have been self-taught and hugely successful. I won't debate that for a second. I don't know that they asked for help as much as they dug it out of the dirt. Honestly, I'd probably pick a book written by someone whose build is similar to yours. "Five Lessons..." worked for Larry Nelson.

If I suggest that you go see a pro, it's not to brush you off, and it's not to try to kill the thread. It's because I know it works. And that's the best advice I can give.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

The discussion is the whole point of sticking around. Good group of peeps around here.

At the end of the day, I'm not 100% sold that “fit” equipment is exponentially better than off the shelf. Yes, optimizing spin and launch gains distance, but for us amateurs, I really think that only matters in the driver. I am a bigger equipment junky than most, and love to go to fitters to learn, but if you hook the ball, or slice, or just ain't that good, no equipment will fix that. I'm convinced, that I can go out with my old lynx blades, a Taylormade burner circa 2008 and shoot 85 with zero problems. With my new Gucci fit gear, I'll probably shoot 78-82. Was all that $$$ and time worth those couple strokes?? HECK YEAH,.....now go get fit and see your pro now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The discussion is the whole point of sticking around. Good group of peeps around here.

At the end of the day, I'm not 100% sold that “fit” equipment is exponentially better than off the shelf. Yes, optimizing spin and launch gains distance, but for us amateurs, I really think that only matters in the driver. I am a bigger equipment junky than most, and love to go to fitters to learn, but if you hook the ball, or slice, or just ain't that good, no equipment will fix that. I'm convinced, that I can go out with my old lynx blades, a Taylormade burner circa 2008 and shoot 85 with zero problems. With my new Gucci fit gear, I'll probably shoot 78-82. Was all that $$$ and time worth those couple strokes?? HECK YEAH,.....now go get fit and see your pro now!!!

For me it matters in iron sets too. I get very different results from DG vs KBS Tour vs C Taper vs Nippon Modus. A set can go from pretty good to absolutely worthless to me if it's a poor shaft fit. KBS Tour in particular I find to be wildly inconsistent and other guys who play at my same level and same speed use them very effectively.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

For me it matters in iron sets too. I get very different results from DG vs KBS Tour vs C Taper vs Nippon Modus. A set can go from pretty good to absolutely worthless to me if it's a poor shaft fit. KBS Tour in particular I find to be wildly inconsistent and other guys who play at my same level and same speed use them very effectively.

It definitely matters, but the degree to which it does maybe a bit less than we think. I've been fit into everything from regular flex OBAN devotion shafts, to x stiff Aldila greens. These fittings from top 100 Callaway and Taylormade performance centers. I'd like to see a test with an above average golfer, say 5 or below, play perfectly fit clubs, then send him to dicks and buy the same type right off the shelf and see how much worse he plays.

It definitely matters, but the degree to which it does maybe a bit less than we think. I've been fit into everything from regular flex OBAN devotion shafts, to x stiff Aldila greens. These fittings from top 100 Callaway and Taylormade performance centers. I'd like to see a test with an above average golfer, say 5 or below, play perfectly fit clubs, then send him to dicks and buy the same type right off the shelf and see how much worse he plays.

How do you fit a Jekyll and Hide golfer? One who shoots 97 one day and 79 the next?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

How do you fit a Jekyll and Hide golfer? One who shoots 97 one day and 79 the next?

I'm that guy. High of 101 and low of 79 this year on the same course. Went to a GD top 100 fitter last year for a full iron fitting. Was fit to Mizuno Hot Metals and after about 20 rounds with them index went up from 13.5 to 15.5. Went and bought used JPX 900 Forged after about 10 swings with way more shaft than I could handle and index returned quickly to 13.5. Bought F8 one lengths this year off the rack and handicap dropped another stroke. Not saying fitting doesn't matter but my experience really soured me on the whole thing.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I'm no longer playing the irons I was fit for and am playing as well or better.... fitting has value but I think it has more value to people who are out of the norm. Taller than average... Shorter than normal arms, etc.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Regular obans one day, tour issue Dynamic Gold X100s the next. I'm going to TXG at the end of the summer to really learn and get more into the process than actual equipment.

Count me in, 83 and 102 last month.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

IMO, Fitting is largely about swing dynamics. Your score doesn't necessarily correlate to how you swing. Your swing from a fitting perspective is pretty consistent. Your speed, transition, impact position, etc remain pretty constant. The job of the fitter is to be able to understand those numbers and provide you with clubs that will fit those characteristics. Those type of rounds are a topic to discuss with a fitter explaining what happens during those bad rounds. For those who watched Robs TXG fitting it is about balancing fitting and instruction to help a player play better, it will not guarantee you will play better.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Get clubs fit is only one part of you don't know how to hit them. I'm more along the lines, lessons first. Either professionally, or online videos. I actually have an app on my phone where you video yourself and then you can add lines to look at swing and body set up, etc... It has really helped me understand my swing.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Get clubs fit is only one part of you don't know how to hit them. I'm more along the lines, lessons first. Either professionally, or online videos.

Depends on where you are with you game. Absolute beginner I would say lessons first and work with the pro to see what you need for a club perspective. Someone with a decent game may go down the fitting route instead. A high quality fitter should also advise the customer when lessons would provide more benefit than the fitting

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived