TESTERS WANTED! ×

Exotics CBX Iron Wood

chisag

... Not really a review so I am putting this in the equipment folder, but I have been playing the Exotics CBX Iron Wood 17* 2 iron for 4 rounds now and I am just blown away with its trajectory, distance and forgiveness. Granted forgiveness in a 2 iron is relative but compared to other DI's like the UDi and new Fli Hi it is very forgiving on slight mishits. 

... I have played the Adams DHy, Wilson FG Tour V4, Srixon U45, TM UDi and Cobra King Utility and they all have their +'s and -'s although I found the King Utility to be the best all around DI. Where the 17* CBX iron Wood differs from all those on the list is the very low boring trajectory. For many, this is the very attribute they seek in a DI so they can take advantage of hard fairways, windy conditions and accuracy off the tee. Frankly with a slightly above average club head speed around 100mph I am a little shocked at how long the ball stays in the air with such a low trajectory. Because it is long, very long. I hit it side by side with my driver into a 15+mph wind right in my face and it was actually a few yards longer. I also hit it side by side with my 3 wood into the same wind and it traveled a good 10 yds further, mostly due to roll that the 3 wood did not get into that strong wind. 

... The head is a little bulbous and that might be a deterrent for some players. I was not a big fan of the shape after playing the thin looking P790 3 iron at 18* with a hybrid shaft for a few months, but with the combination of forgiveness, trajectory and distance, the shape ceased to be an issue with my first swing that went lower and longer than I could have hoped for. 

... If you are in the market for a DI that launches mid to high for max carry and is pretty versatile, this is not the DI for you, at least not the 17* version with the HZRDUS Black low launching shaft. But if you are looking for a low boring trajectory off the tee and the same from the fairway in a forgiving head that just explodes off the face, I think the CBX Iron Wood/HZRDUS Black should be at the top of your demo list. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...

How is this club from the fairway or rough?   I have the CBX 3 wood and absolutely love it.  I am more interested in the 19 iron-wood and probably would go with the Kuro Kage shaft, but I was curious how it performs from the fairway/slight rough.

Have always loved the iron woods. I played one back in the late 90's early 00 and that thing was a go to for straight, boring shots. I will definitely check this club out as I really dislike my 18* hybrid and have been debating between replacing it with a 5w or DI.

Black or chrome?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

... I have been playing the Exotics CBX Iron Wood 17* 2 iron for 4 rounds now and I am just blown away with its trajectory, distance and forgiveness

I love driving irons on tight driving holes.

The first club that I bought strictly as a driving iron was a Wilson 1200GE 1-iron in the mid eighties.

I hit it better than a similar Ping model.

Before that, I would pull the three iron out of the bag but save the two iron as a driving iron.

Then I've got two real exotics, lower case E.

The first was a PRGR 200i that I bought used on Ebay,  light-years below its new value.

The more recent was an Epon AF-901 that I bought in Vegas when house money was burning a hole in my pocket.  Don't shop when over-served with free drinks from the sports book. (They're not even really free--you're still going to tip the pretty young ladies who serve them to you.)

My favorite is still a Mizuno Fli Hi 18º that I bought circa 2005.

But God knows that I  can't hit any of them like our actor friend from the Windy City.

All I get is an ugly but straight line drive that I can find in order to to hit a second shot with the same ball

--and at the time that I hit it,  that's a lot.    I'll take that.

How is this club from the fairway or rough?   I have the CBX 3 wood and absolutely love it.  I am more interested in the 19 iron-wood and probably would go with the Kuro Kage shaft, but I was curious how it performs from the fairway/slight rough.

... The 17* is useless from the rough but good from the fairway if you are looking for a low flying shot that rolls a ton. I imagine the 3 with a KK shaft would be much easier to launch from the fairway and probably have some success from the rough. The HZRDUS Black shaft helps keep the trajectory down and was exactly what I was looking for as I almost exclusively use it off the tee as a DI.  I have the chrome model.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Archived