TESTERS WANTED! ×

One Length Irons

WardenGolf

I traded in my Conra One Lengths for the Mizuno JPX 900 Forged in February, I liked the one length but found it difficult to hit my “short” irons i.e. 8-GW. I noticed that I was hitting them further than usual because they are longer obviously and the gaps between the “long” irons 4-7 and the 8-GW was too large. However, I was way more consistent with my swing, but the consistency wasn't enough for the headache with the distance gaps. So my question is this, why on earth hasn't Cobra made a change where the 4-7 are all one length and the 8-GW are standard? Wouldn't that make more sense? I mean for players who struggle with consistency I feel a one length 4-7 and standard 8-GW would be sublime, right? Wouldn't it be wise for Cobra to offer this as an option?

Rich

Irons: Mizuno MPH-4 (4-PW)

Driver: Ping G400 LST

Wedges: Cleveland 52, 56, 62

Putter: Rife

Orlando, FL

I recently traded in my Conra One Lengths for the Mizuno JPX 900 Forged. I liked the one length but found it difficult to hit my “short” irons i.e. 8-GW. I noticed that I was hitting them further than usual because they are longer obviously and the gaps between the “long” irons 4-7 and the 8-GW was too large. However, I was way more consistent with my swing, but the consistency wasn't enough for the headache with the distance gaps. So my question is this, why on earth hasn't Cobra made a change where the 4-7 are all one length and the 8-GW are standard? Wouldn't that make more sense? I mean for players who struggle with consistency I feel a one length 4-7 and standard 8-GW would be sublime, right? Wouldn't it be wise for Cobra to offer this as an option?

They kind of already do. You can buy individual one length irons and individual variable length irons to make up any set you want with the F8's.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I recently traded in my Conra One Lengths for the Mizuno JPX 900 Forged. I liked the one length but found it difficult to hit my “short” irons i.e. 8-GW. I noticed that I was hitting them further than usual because they are longer obviously and the gaps between the “long” irons 4-7 and the 8-GW was too large. However, I was way more consistent with my swing, but the consistency wasn't enough for the headache with the distance gaps. So my question is this, why on earth hasn't Cobra made a change where the 4-7 are all one length and the 8-GW are standard? Wouldn't that make more sense? I mean for players who struggle with consistency I feel a one length 4-7 and standard 8-GW would be sublime, right? Wouldn't it be wise for Cobra to offer this as an option?

The purpose of having the one length is to have the same swing thru the irons. The gap issue is interesting and different from what I've heard and seen. What I've seen is gapping being fine up to 5 or 6 iron then the 4-5 or 4-6 are way to close.

As far as having one length in 4-7 and standard in scoring clubs you can order that.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The purpose of having the one length is to have the same swing thru the irons. The gap issue is interesting and different from what I've heard and seen. What I've seen is gapping being fine up to 5 or 6 iron then the 4-5 or 4-6 are way to close.

As far as having one length in 4-7 and standard in scoring clubs you can order that.

The main problem I had is my 4-7 were going almost identical yardage as I used to hit with standard length, but my 8-GW were carrying way further. I was soaring over greens and it became too much. I had to choke up to make sure I wasn't air mailing shots.

Rich

Orlando, FL

They kind of already do. You can buy individual one length irons and individual variable length irons to make up any set you want with the F8's.

I was unaware you could do that with the new F8, that's a welcome change to the F7s which is what I had.

Rich

Orlando, FL

This is exactly what I experienced in regards to gapping. I love the “short” irons but 5 and 6 are a bit of an issue.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Wouldn't it be more effective to just adjust the lofts so you are gapped correctly?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

The main problem I had is my 4-7 were going almost identical yardage as I used to hit with standard length, but my 8-GW were carrying way further. I was soaring over greens and it became too much. I had to choke up to make sure I wasn't air mailing shots.

Why not just take one less club with 8-gw. Imo would be no different than variable length irons where if someone was seeing added distance they would adjust the club they were hitting.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If one is going to go one-length, why not go to the company that started it all in the first place? Edel created the one-length clubs for DeChambeau, and they're the only company right now that actually weights the clubs correctly, and thereby gaps the distances correctly. One-length would be extremely difficult to fit using major OEM mass-production, and using steel shafts. The weighting, lofts, gapping of distances varies so greatly between players that I would not trust Cobra to spend the time to get everything right. Nope. Edel was the first, and they've perfected it to a point that Cobra can't match except for their Tour players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

If one is going to go one-length, why not go to the company that started it all in the first place? Edel created the one-length clubs for DeChambeau, and they're the only company right now that actually weights the clubs correctly, and thereby gaps the distances correctly. One-length would be extremely difficult to fit using major OEM mass-production, and using steel shafts. The weighting, lofts, gapping of distances varies so greatly between players that I would not trust Cobra to spend the time to get everything right. Nope. Edel was the first, and they've perfected it to a point that Cobra can't match except for their Tour players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loved my Cobra F8 Ones until I hit the Edels. Now I just like them. A fitter built a 6 for me in the Edels when I was there having lie angles adjusted on my F8s and once dialed in I couldn't believe it was me actually hitting the shots I was hitting.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

You're right only the original can be the best. No one can ever beat the original product  :rolleyes:

You're right only the original can be the best. No one can ever beat the original product :rolleyes:

Hopefully you read the entire post...?

A mass producer cannot make the necessary weight changes and tweaks necessary for the proper gapping and weighting needed to avoid what folks here say are the “cons” of Cobra one-length. Cobra can't match the tweaks Edel can make.

You're right only the original can be the best. No one can ever beat the original product :rolleyes:

Just curious, have you ever met with an Edel rep and discussed the steps for fitting one-length? Have you gone through a “fitting” for Cobra one-length? If you had, you'd understand my point...................

Just curious, have you ever met with an Edel rep and discussed the steps for fitting one-length? Have you gone through a “fitting” for Cobra one-length? If you had, you'd understand my point...................

So you must meet with an Edel rep to understand your ludicrous statement that only the original can be good? Have YOU hit any of the new Cobra one lengths? Big steps were made from the previous gen with things like weighting, but I'm sure an expert like you is well aware of such things. Too bad all these companies keep innovating, they should consult with you before hand so you can tell them only the original product can be any good. Would save them a ton of money.

I've had 3 rounds so far with my one length 5-GW and don't have the gapping issues you experience. I do notice my PW and especially GW damn near goes higher than it goes long :lol:

Have you hit the lob or sand wedges yet? You think the GW goes high wait until you get ahold of one of these. It really is weird but for full shots they are great.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Have you hit the lob or sand wedges yet? You think the GW goes high wait until you get ahold of one of these. It really is weird but for full shots they are great.

No, I wanted to see how I got on with the longer gap wedge first. I am tempted to go "all in" with the wedges, but at the same time I LOVE my Cleveland wedges. 

So you must meet with an Edel rep to understand your ludicrous statement that only the original can be good? Have YOU hit any of the new Cobra one lengths? Big steps were made from the previous gen with things like weighting, but I'm sure an expert like you is well aware of such things. Too bad all these companies keep innovating, they should consult with you before hand so you can tell them only the original product can be any good. Would save them a ton of money.

Wow. Ok then....

Yes. I have. I've hit both and have been fitted for both, so that means I'm the only one of the two of us able to speak specifically on the fitting and tech involved. It's ok that you haven't, but if one hasn't been through the two fittings to see how drastically different they are, then they wouldn't be able to see why so many folks have issue with the Cobra one-length.

Edel did not invent the concept of one-length irons.

One-length clubs are no more hard to fit or gap, or get the clubhead weights right, than any other type of iron. ... Mass produced or not. ... And with modern production techniques, even mass produced heads are within a few grams of their stated weight. And, being as one can custom order player specific lofts and lies when they order clubs, it would make no sense for Cobra (or anyone else) to ship a set to a customer not to spec.

So the only real advantage you have, other than the obvious placebo that has you parroting the company's marketing ploys, is that you paid $2450 for your irons.

It's great to be a homer for your chosen brand, but c'mon man.

Ahh, I play Mizuno.....

But, back to the point, Cobra does not fit or adjust weight in their one-length like Edel. Not even close. Why is it so many on here are talking about how distances and flights are very similar between three different irons in the Cobra One-Length? They're not adjusted or built to do so and using steel can't achieve the correct weighting to make sure the flight, distances, spin, etc are correct iron to iron.

Sadly, if you haven't been fitted for both, you wouldn't know... Cobra fits for one-length the exact same way they fit for variable. Edel goes way beyond and fits to EACH iron head.... Anyway, there's a huge difference, and the results show that.

Ah, so now you're a professional clubfitter. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHCTaUFXpP8

“We mock that which we don't understand.”

It's really ok that you don't know the differences. No big deal.

I can't say, “Hamburgers taste disgusting,” if I haven't tasted a hamburger. No big deal. It's ok. Next time you're near Austin, TX, stop-by Liberty Hill and see what they do at Edel. It's pretty cool. Even better when David Edel is there and will walk you through the whole deal! Pretty cool.

Noooooo, I'm mocking you as I have years of experience as a teaching pro/clubfitter/maker - and you're passing judgement based on, I guess, having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. And thus, in the same manner that the fake doc gained his knowledge on the subject based on what he'd probably seen on a couple of hospital shows on TV, you're basing your knowledge based on the fact you've been fitted and done a walk-thru. ... But do tell us more, while you're mocking everyone else, including the other manufacturers, in this thread.

Yet u have zero experience fitting Edel One Length???

Nah. I'll just leave that right there.

You are an authority with zero experience.... Talk about Holiday Inn Express!

When you begin to actually show examples of differences between Cobra One-Length and Edel One Length fittings, based on your “years of experience”, I'll chat with you. Until then, you're just mocking that which you, obviously, don't understand.

Getting fitted and being a fitter are two entirely different things.

Which then leaves you with zero experience "fitting" Edel One Lengths too.

Well played.

So, share your experience fitting Edel... Share with me how that's the same or different than a Cobra One Length fitting.

Enlighten me. I'd like to learn.

Please, share. I'd love to see how your experience matches Mr Edel's.

Noooo, now you're the one that professes to know about iron weights and are suggesting how poor major manufacturers' tolerances are based on your experience "being" fitted. Not being a fitter, not having attended a single class or seminar, not having fit a single person - but merely based on a biased opinion because of what you were told by one person that was pitching their brand. ... So do tell, since you're suggesting you're on first name basis with Mr. Edel, also tell us about your experience going to Carlsbad and getting fitted at Cobra.

Enlighten us. we'd all like to learn.

Dude, stop being such a condescending prick to those you think don't know as much as you (which according to your posts, is just about everyone)

I thought I was on MGS.  When did this become WRX?

Slowly but surely, as we've gotten new members, threads have started to become like this.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Kid, being as you don't write my paycheck, my mother's deceased, and you're not my wife, it's not up to you to tell me I'm a condescending prick, Dick!

Pro tip > ignore my posts, like a grownup would do.

Spoiler alert:

You are not long for this site.  

Guys, I'm really getting tired of writing this, but there's a certain level of behavior we expect from our members, and it's something we learned in kindergarten. Let's see if we can't play nicely in the same sandbox, okay?

One more time, am I being clear enough?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Guys, I'm really getting tired of writing this, but there's a certain level of behavior we expect from our members, and it's something we learned in kindergarten.

On the subject of golden rule adherence and 'things we hoped to never do' - perhaps it's time to publicly adjudicate the emergent outliers.

Surely some trends have begun to emerge?

Anyway, I can't breathe around here anymore so I'm heading for the coast until the MGS fire department gets the raging forest fire under control.

Stay safe out there Spies...

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Guys, I'm really getting tired of writing this, but there's a certain level of behavior we expect from our members, and it's something we learned in kindergarten. Let's see if we can't play nicely in the same sandbox, okay?

One more time, am I being clear enough?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thank you for stepping in.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have been using the one length forged for a few weeks now. I have to say that the long irons are the most fun to hit. I found that my 8-PW I needed a little adjustment time. I was pulling them a bit but after a few rounds they have been brilliant. This is coming from someone who was playing Mizuno JPX900 Tours, and I truly hit the Cobra's farther.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Archived