TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Help

Brian A

So I recently took my Ping TFC 419 3 wood shaft and put it in my driver. It has helped me straighten our my drives. However I put my 5 wood shaft in my 3 wood, it didnt do much for my 3 wood except shorten it.

Can someone recommend a shorter shaft for my driver so I can put my 3 wood shaft and 5 wood back in their respective clubs? 

I know nothing about shafts, which is why I ask.  

The Ping 3 wood shaft is stiff flex. My swing speed is over 105 with driver. Usually my ball flight is a very strong pull slice, boarding slice

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Why not just get another 3w shaft

Exactly - call Ping and order a 3 wood shaft with an adapter on it. Easy

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So you need a driver shaft?

Obviously looking for the same swing-weight.

Like Rev said, call PING tell them what you're looking for and send it to them to do the work. Their custom options and customer service is second to none.

I have a 44.5” driver shaft in my G.

The swing weight is a little light, I really need to drive to Arizona and spend a week with the PING engineers dialing in my clubs. (Yes, this isn't realistic) but it would be amazing.

Sometimes I am really baffled by people's queries.

This really shouldn't be that hard.

Follow jlukes' and revkev's advice and call it a day.

Obviously I'm a little smarter than you all give me credit for.

The problem I have with this advice is the shaft that is on the G30, I tried to track down the same 3W shaft and I was told they dont sell anymore. Was looking for someone who knew more about shafts that could recommend a similar one. 

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

What shaft is in the driver and why can't you just shorten that shaft? Is the 3w shaft heavier or lighter than the drivers shaft? Do you make better contact if you choke down on the driver?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

But not smart enough to do a basic google search?

About 45,200 results (0.47 seconds)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ping+TFC+419+3+wood+shaft+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Similar one?

There's literally tons of them. ... Including the one(s) Ping superseded the TFC 419 model with.

You mentioned a specific shaft model that apparently worked well - and I found that exact model on ebay in the aforementioned just under half a second. ;)  Plus. doesn't make much sense chasing something "similar" to someone else that might not be so similar to you. 

RP- you're a smart dude and provide people with good advice, but perhaps you can display a little more tact when providing your answers?

What shaft is in the driver and why can't you just shorten that shaft? Is the 3w shaft heavier or lighter than the drivers shaft? Do you make better contact if you choke down on the driver?

I dont hit the ball well when I choke down with the driver shaft.  This is where I dont understand enough about shafts, I've read that it changes it too much. 

But not smart enough to do a basic google search?

About 45,200 results (0.47 seconds)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ping+TFC+419+3+wood+shaft+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Similar one?

There's literally tons of them. ... Including the one(s) Ping superseded the TFC 419 model with.

You mentioned a specific shaft model that apparently worked well - and I found that exact model on ebay in the aforementioned just under half a second. ;)  Plus. doesn't make much sense chasing something "similar" to someone else that might not be so similar to you. 

Nope, did a google search too. 

I try to stay away from ebay on these things because I did buy a replacement shaft on there previously and it ended up snapping very shortly after. 

I do not know the differences between the shaft that replaced it, (twice now, G and G400 series models) and the one I have. 

My ideal goal is to find something that I can put in my driver that is new, from a reputable retailer, so that it has a warranty that would be similar to the shaft that I have.  

The snarky comments are very helpful in explaining what I dont know about though! Thank you! 

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I dont hit the ball well when I choke down with the driver shaft. This is where I dont understand enough about shafts, I've read that it changes it too much.

!

If you are going to replace the shaft then why not cut it down if you aren't able to choke down. Generally there aren't driver shafts and 3 wood shafts, there are just wood shafts that get cut to length and they come in different weights. 3 wood shafts are typically a bit heavier and shorter

Cutting down your existing driver will change the swingweight a little which you may or may not notice. If you notice add lead tape to the bottom of the clubhead to compensate.

I didn't research the shaft, but if it is strictly an OEM shaft then you probably won't find a new one so used would be your only option.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Are they like hockey sticks where when you shorten them they become stiffer and change kick point. I have extra stuff driver shaft now.

Also the wood shaft on driver snapped just above the adapter so now I need 2 shafts.

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Are they like hockey sticks where when you shorten them they become stiffer and change kick point. I have extra stuff driver shaft now.

Also the wood shaft on driver snapped just above the adapter so now I need 2 shafts.

Butt trimming a driver shaft really doesn't change the stiffness of it. Tip trimming would make it play stiffer.

Butt trimming would reduce the swing weight of a club, so you'd need to add weight to the head to get the swing weight back up to wear it was.

Honestly I would call Ping and explain what you are looking for.  Their stock shafts are proprietary to them (although similar profiles exist in the aftermarket).

They would best be able to match up what you need and there's always an outside chance they would warranty the snapped shafts.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So here is what ping recommended finding.

Can someone explain what the torque means?

Stiff - 3.3 torque, 68g in weight

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I'll give it a try Apes. Basically, torque is the amount a shaft will twist when put underneath a certain force. It's measured in degrees and really goes toward how the shaft feels, be it boardy or whippy. There are low, mid, and high torque shafts and it's important to find one that works for you. Based on an old MGS Golflabs, a higher torque shaft, with all things being equal, will lead to a clubface pointing more left.

Ping though has got you dialed in with what they think would work and the good news is that profile is actually pretty common. In fact, something very close to that profile is my current driver shaft, the Aldila NV in 65 grams, weighing 67 g and torque at 3.5. It's only $50 as well so you can experiment. Other options at below $100 include the Grafalloy Blue, which measures at 64g and 2.8 torque, and the Aldila Tour Blue, 69 g. and 3.7. I'm sure if you have a favorite brand in mind though you can find something along those lines, I just kept it under $100 because with something like this, it may take a while for you to find the shaft you like best and you may have to buy a few.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Sure. "Torque" is the most insignificant quantity ever quoted on a golf shaft. It's also the most inaccurate too, since the SI unit of torque is usually measured in ft/lbs or Nm, but shaft OEM's would have us believe it's an angular displacement in degrees. A better description would be "torsional stiffness along a longitudinal axis" but it doesn't sound quite as catchy.

So instead we are left with a poorly worded "measurement" to determine a shaft and it's resistance to twisting.

The problem is, nobody says how it's measured. Is the angular displacement in degrees a maximum or minimum? Does it apply the entire length of the shaft or just one section? What force is applied to make the measurement? What head size and weight is used (if any)? How do they know the intended playing length? Has anyone done a performance analysis to see if it really matters?

The only I can answer is the last one - and the answer is, it doesn't really matter.

Most shaft OEM's will shrug when you ask how 'torque" is quantified or measured and even fewer will tell you how they test or calibrate any for categorisation of any kind. Many OEM's tend to ignore torque altogether these days.

As a general rule of thumb, torque in graphite shafts relate to how they feel at impact. A low torque shaft will tend to feel harsh, boardy, or tight. A higher torque shaft will tend to feel softer and smoother. That's about it. That is, until you apply that theory to steel shafts - a driver shaft with a torque of 2.5 degrees or less would be considered very stiff in the tip and feel quite harsh - a steel iron shaft will have a torque of much less, but I've yet to hear anyone calling out Dynamic Gold at 1.8 degrees for feeling overly harsh - quite the opposite in fact.

A low torque shaft will not make you hit straighter shots due to it's perceived resistance to twisting. A high torque shaft will not make your shots hook or slice in either direction. The "torque" is merely the by-product of how the shaft is made.

So in summary, torque means nothing. 

Torque is the amount the shaft "twists" during the swing, I think the highest torque is somewhere around 5.7 to 6.0 and the lowest is around 2.1...just going off memory certainly not gospel.  So they are recommending something in the lower to mid range of that.   So I think the Graphite Design G 70 S for just one example would be in that range. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Torque is a shaft's resistance to twisting.  It's really a feel thing.  People used to think that low torque was always better, but materials have progressed and now there are a lot of manufacturers that are utilizing torque to had some feel to a shaft while maintaining stability and launch conditions.

Sure. "Torque" is the most insignificant quantity ever quoted on a golf shaft. It's also the most inaccurate too, since the SI unit of torque is usually measured in ft/lbs or Nm, but shaft OEM's would have us believe it's an angular displacement in degrees. A better description would be "torsional stiffness along a longitudinal axis" but it doesn't sound quite as catchy.

So instead we are left with a poorly worded "measurement" to determine a shaft and it's resistance to twisting.

The problem is, nobody says how it's measured. Is the angular displacement in degrees a maximum or minimum? Does it apply the entire length of the shaft or just one section? What force is applied to make the measurement? What head size and weight is used (if any)? How do they know the intended playing length? Has anyone done a performance analysis to see if it really matters?

The only I can answer is the last one - and the answer is, it doesn't really matter.

Most shaft OEM's will shrug when you ask how 'torque" is quantified or measured and even fewer will tell you how they test or calibrate any for categorisation of any kind. Many OEM's tend to ignore torque altogether these days.

As a general rule of thumb, torque in graphite shafts relate to how they feel at impact. A low torque shaft will tend to feel harsh, boardy, or tight. A higher torque shaft will tend to feel softer and smoother. That's about it. That is, until you apply that theory to steel shafts - a driver shaft with a torque of 2.5 degrees or less would be considered very stiff in the tip and feel quite harsh - a steel iron shaft will have a torque of much less, but I've yet to hear anyone calling out Dynamic Gold at 1.8 degrees for feeling overly harsh - quite the opposite in fact.

A low torque shaft will not make you hit straighter shots due to it's perceived resistance to twisting. A high torque shaft will not make your shots hook or slice in either direction. The "torque" is merely the by-product of how the shaft is made.

So in summary, torque means nothing. 

Fantastic explanation 

So, all of us were of writing these torque responses at the same time huh?  :D  :D

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Thank you all!

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you all!

BTW that sounds like the perfect shaft - very similar to what I have in my G400 now although mine is 45”. That's the length that puts me in the center of the club face.

Just remember to check your swing weight once you have that new shaft in and adjust accordingly - if it bothers you.

Let us know how it turns out.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Shaft torque is one of the things I'm most-excited about for the hush hush secret beta website. When I first learned about torque and how there's no industry-standard OEM's use to measure, then heard about the new website, I was immediately interested to see what the findings would be, and the differences in torque across the board.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I'll give it a try Apes. Basically, torque is the amount a shaft will twist when put underneath a certain force. It's measured in degrees and really goes toward how the shaft feels, be it boardy or whippy. There are low, mid, and high torque shafts and it's important to find one that works for you. Based on an old MGS Golflabs, a higher torque shaft, with all things being equal, will lead to a clubface pointing more left.

Ping though has got you dialed in with what they think would work and the good news is that profile is actually pretty common. In fact, something very close to that profile is my current driver shaft, the Aldila NV in 65 grams, weighing 67 g and torque at 3.5. It's only $50 as well so you can experiment. Other options at below $100 include the Grafalloy Blue, which measures at 64g and 2.8 torque, and the Aldila Tour Blue, 69 g. and 3.7. I'm sure if you have a favorite brand in mind though you can find something along those lines, I just kept it under $100 because with something like this, it may take a while for you to find the shaft you like best and you may have to buy a few.

I ended up going with this shaft. The book Golf Galaxy has said it was the exact same. Cut it to 43.5 in

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Shaft torque is one of the things I'm most-excited about for the hush hush secret beta website. When I first learned about torque and how there's no industry-standard OEM's use to measure, then heard about the new website, I was immediately interested to see what the findings would be, and the differences in torque across the board.

... Jaskanski is probably the most knowledgable here about fitting and shafts. He knows about flex zones and current OEMs ability to change the shafts torque in the butt, midde or tip.  I will say, quite a few years ago when graphite first made it's way into woods, torque was very relevant but as Jas said, modern technology has rendered it insignificant. I used to play shafts in the 2.8 - 3.6* range although I had great success with the UFO 2.2. That said, I have played modern shafts with as much as 6* of listed torque that are just as accurate as any shaft I have played. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... Jaskanski is probably the most knowledgable here about fitting and shafts. He nows about flex zones and current OEMs ability to change the shafts torque in the butt, midde or tip.  I will say, quite a few years ago when graphite first made it's way into woods, torque was very relevant but as Jas said, modern technology has rendered it insignificant. I used to play shafts in the 2.8 - 3.6* range although I had great success with the UFO 2.2. That said, I have played modern shafts with as much as 6* of listed torque that are just as accurate as any shaft I have played. 

Yeah! That's why I'm interested to see if listed torque values from OEM to OEM end up playing exactly the same in terms of fitting and EI curve, etc.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Yeah! That's why I'm interested to see if listed torque values from OEM to OEM end up playing exactly the same in terms of fitting and EI curve, etc.

No they won't! The EI curve for each shaft takes into consideration the relative stiffness along multiple points of the shaft. If the shaft is a tip stiff design for instance, it could have a completely different EI curve than a similar weight shaft with a soft tip design - but may have the same torque value based on how the OEM measured or correlated it. 

Sounds daft?

Check out the very old tried and trusted Prolaunch shafts from Grafalloy. If you have one 65g stiff shaft of each the Blue and Red, the torque for the high launch Blue is 2.8 degrees. The torque for the low launch Red is 3.0 degrees - almost the same yet the EI curves are markedly different because of the overall bend profile engineered into each shaft - one being tip soft and one being tip stiff. 

Don't ever confuse torque into shaft bend profiles or stiffness because they simply do not translate or integrate with each other. Like I said, the torque figure is mostly irrelevant.

Archived