Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most wanted player's irons

revkev

I'm with you here. I love the feel of the MMC and the blade, but the SC was just kind of “eh” for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I do like the small cavity look to them, they felt ok. I am sure long irons are a touch more forgiving than the MB, probably why they would be one of the best combo sets.

I've found a like a bit more of a click sound at impact. I get this with the V1x, I can tell strike location just by the sound. I really need to go try these with my actual ball.

That last sentence is key.

I always thought it would be interesting to see what happens if a fitting/testing was done entirely blind where the screen was off and the golfer couldn't react to where the ball was going.

Off topic, sorry Rev, but there is a reputable fitter here on Long Island that works that way - they put an orange alignment stick down and the mat and you hit into a net; the only screen is a PC screen in the back corner for the fitter to look at.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Off topic, sorry Rev, but there is a reputable fitter here on Long Island that works that way - they put an orange alignment stick down and the mat and you hit into a net; the only screen is a PC screen in the back corner for the fitter to look at.

Yeah, several of the fittings I've been to (with the exception of TXG) were like that, where I was hitting out onto a range or into a net, but only the fitter was able to see the LM numbers, and generally didn't tell me anything until the end when we were reviewing the results.   Same with shafts, a lot of times I tried not to look at the shaft, sure sometimes you can tell the make at a glance, but I wouldn't look to see the weight or flex.   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm almost called it. I thought for sure it would the JPX Tours, but to claim the two top spots? That is just ridiculous.

I've hit all of the MP line up, and the winner I really didn't care for, but that's just me being me. The MMC was super I mean super forgiving, and I really liked that one, kind of wish they made a 2 & 3 iron in it.

I didn't really notice much of a difference between the SC and the MB. And that FliHi... ️

Hats off to Mizuno, I think they are making fine products. Can't wait for the Driver testing thread. I really like that blue. It's my favorite color.

In theory, drivers will be arriving this week

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Yeah, several of the fittings I've been to (with the exception of TXG) were like that, where I was hitting out onto a range or into a net, but only the fitter was able to see the LM numbers, and generally didn't tell me anything until the end when we were reviewing the results. Same with shafts, a lot of times I tried not to look at the shaft, sure sometimes you can tell the make at a glance, but I wouldn't look to see the weight or flex.

I think the need for us to align ourselves is part of the equation as well if I had a line telling me how to align, I would probably get slightly better results. Sort of like taking your stance on the range and just taking balls over and hitting them. For testing, how does the club influence alignment. I know for a fact I could improve my putting numbers if I was given a spot to roll the ball over and an alignment aid.

The testing protocol is designed to eliminate that by having the club rotation and the gcquads ball detection keeping you from grouping the balls and just pulling the next one into hitting position.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Pretty cool to see my SC irons at the top of the heap! I really like these irons: performance, feel, and the LOOKS! Just great irons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Just saw Luke Donald with a retweet of Mizuno's post linking MGS. That is pretty damn awesome that a touring professional cares enough about his equipment to do that. AND mention the unbiased testing done at HQ. Just awesome!

Pretty sure that tweet is most likely sent by his manager. But still nice to see.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'd punch a baby for a combo set of SC/MMC

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

LOL. I finally saw some MMC's in person a couple weeks ago and had the chance to fondle them. I share this thought. Stunning to look at.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Back off topic my fitter works that way, alignment stick - he sees the screen, you don't. He has a background painted on the wall behind the net so you have a fairway to look at and feel as if you're aiming down it.

I think combo sets are great options - lots of pros have some sort of combo in their bag by introducing a GI club, driving or hybrid at the top end of their bag.

I've been told the spin rate should be in the same number too but that has changed with the changes in lofts. Still you should be in the mid to high 5,000. If the balls were an iteration of the B300's the spin rate shouldn't be that far off. Pro VIs will certainly spin a bit less.

Just curious to me is all.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

LOL. I finally saw some MMC's in person a couple weeks ago and had the chance to fondle them. I share this thought. Stunning to look at.

My dad's getting a new set of MMCs with 5i Fli-Hi and S18 gap wedge. To say that I'm jealous is an understatement, and he'll be bragging about them for the next 2 months!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

I've got a 7 month old that won't stop crying while I try to practice putting in my living room...

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I've got a 7 month old that won't stop crying while I try to practice putting in my living room...

Don't punch the baby....you'll be having putting contests with that baby before you know it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Send me the sticks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Back off topic my fitter works that way, alignment stick - he sees the screen, you don't. He has a background painted on the wall behind the net so you have a fairway to look at and feel as if you're aiming down it.

I think combo sets are great options - lots of pros have some sort of combo in their bag by introducing a GI club, driving or hybrid at the top end of their bag.

I've been told the spin rate should be in the same number too but that has changed with the changes in lofts. Still you should be in the mid to high 5,000. If the balls were an iteration of the B300's the spin rate shouldn't be that far off. Pro VIs will certainly spin a bit less.

Just curious to me is all.

I believe the RX they use for testing is fairly low spinning

This test is designed to be a NON-blade players irons test. The percentage of the golfing public that is at a skill level to warrant playing MB irons is so small that it would be reaching an extremely niche market of our readers.

In my honest opinion, amateur golfers shouldn't be even considering muscle back options.

But muscle backs are just so beautiful...

I've only been playing a little under two years and use Srixon 965 blades from 7 down, only going to a 765 from the 6 iron up. I've tested bunches of other "more forgiving" irons on launch monitors at fittings and not found anything that is more effective for me by enough of a margin for it to be even faintly worth considering.

I made the decision to go full blade early specifically for the lack of forgiveness as it made me focus on being a good ball-striker early.

That last sentence is key.

I always thought it would be interesting to see what happens if a fitting/testing was done entirely blind where the screen was off and the golfer couldn't react to where the ball was going.

Yep, that's the ideal fitting for me. Have maybe 10 or so shots with your current clubs where you can see the flight just to get your swing into check for that day, then turn off the screen you can see so only the fitter is "in the know" and carry on just hitting the best shots you can while he checks the results and tunes.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Well, I think we can answer the "low spin rates" question...

Without any criticism to the testers, it seems like either the MGS testers are generally low-spin players, or something about the test setup (balls, GC2 normalisation) is causing low spin or low spin readings.

I don't consider myself to be a particularly high spin player, just distinctly average. I went back to the MGS testing of Srixon's z#65 irons two years ago and their spin rates were equally low. I play a set of z965 irons and my spin when tested on GC2 is around 20% higher on average than the MGS tester figures.

Basically, compare the numbers to other clubs in the same test group but not against what you would expect your numbers to be...

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Archived