TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno Pro II Irons

SteddyGolf

The first golf ball I ever hit took place in my late 30s. I started with a box set from Wally World. I was at the range one day when a sales person convinced me I needed an upgrade so I bought my first set of “real” clubs. I used those Mizuno Pro IIs until every iron was worn to rust. Fast forward 18 years and three sets of Mizuno irons (MP 37s which were stolen, MP52s and now MP5s). I'm sitting on the couch one day perousing EBay for stuff I didn't need when I came across a listing for a set of 18 year old as advertised almost new Mizuno T-Zoid Pro II irons. The pics looked good so I bid a wooping $50 and damned if I didn't win. I fully expected them to arrive in a condition much different than advertised. Boy was I wrong. I don't know the full history of the irons but I received 2-P wedge in almost new condition. I regripped them then put them into the rotation. What a great iron? The feel is simply amazing and they slide through the turf like butter. First sign of bag chatter I pulled them out of the bag, boxed them and gave them a place of honor in my golf gear closet. I really am a golf geek!

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

$50? Awesome score! Sometimes it's cool to have a set you really like even if you no longer plan on playing them. I have a set of Macgregor CB-92 heads in the garage that maybe I'll reshaft one day, but if not, I still love those heads.

And just last night I put a pretty low offer on a set of Ping ISI beryllium copper irons and damned if I didn't wake up this morning to an offer accepted email.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Per request here they are

Wow! They look like they are in fantastic shape!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I golf with a guy that players these, they sure don't look this good.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I own two sets of them and they aren't going anywhere.  There was a Asian seller on eBay with a "New Old Stock" set that he wants $ 1,700 bucks for and I can't get him to lower his price.

One of the sets I own  I bought new from a Mizuno employee in GA and they came off the Tour Van. They have "Power Blade" on the blade that indicates they are JDM and they are a Satin finish. The other set I picked up on Craig's List for $ 75 bucks in very good condition.  

Texan Raised in Maryland

OnOff Kuro 2015 Irons 5-PW NS. Pro Modus 105 

Titleist TSi3 MC Tensei White 65 

Ping G425 Max  14.5 Max MC Tensei Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

Mizuno T20  50 ,54,58 Wedges

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Titleist Pro V-1X

Wow! Those are pretty. I am really jealous.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

They are my favorite of all time. The thin sole really works well for me. I've always struggled with anything that can get caught in the turf and these things cut thru the grass like butter. I play MP5s now which are a great club as well. Still they just don't feel like my old Pro IIs.

After posting the original topic I got the bug to experiment. I headed out to a local track with the oldest clubs I could find in my garage:

Ping Eye 2 1 wood laminate

Ping Eye 2 4 wood laminate

Mizuno Pro II irons

Cleveland beat to hell wedges

Ping copper putter from the mid 80s

Sleeve of Titleist Professional 90

I shot a 76 on a course I normally get around in 78 to 82. Although the Laminate Woods didn't carry very far they did roll out a fair distance. Typically I was hitting 5,6,7 into the greens. Needless to say once the Pro IIs joined the party I was golden. My 25 year old putter felt awesome with its leather grip. Oh Scotty we might have to part ways.

The reality is today I was throwing dimes. I wish I could say this proves technology hasn't progressed as much as we would all like to think. I believe today's throwback Tuesday was more of an anomally than a condemnation on today's advanced equipment. However, it does kind of prove the Indian is much more important than the Arrow. So next time you get the urge to drop $400 on a new driver I recommend you grab an old persimmon (not really) and head down to see you local golf pro for a few lessons.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

• 4 weeks later...

I own two sets of them and they aren't going anywhere. There was a Asian seller on eBay with a "New Old Stock" set that he wants $ 1,700 bucks for and I can't get him to lower his price.

One of the sets I own I bought new from a Mizuno employee in GA and they came off the Tour Van. They have "Power Blade" on the blade that indicates they are JDM and they are a Satin finish. The other set I picked up on Craig's List for $ 75 bucks in very good condition.

I might end up selling them. I've really started collecting way to many golf clubs. I have way more than the average joe should need ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

They are my favorite of all time. The thin sole really works well for me. I've always struggled with anything that can get caught in the turf and these things cut thru the grass like butter. I play MP5s now which are a great club as well. Still they just don't feel like my old Pro IIs.

After posting the original topic I got the bug to experiment. I headed out to a local track with the oldest clubs I could find in my garage:

Ping Eye 2 1 wood laminate

Ping Eye 2 4 wood laminate

Mizuno Pro II irons

Cleveland beat to hell wedges

Ping copper putter from the mid 80s

Sleeve of Titleist Professional 90

I shot a 76 on a course I normally get around in 78 to 82. Although the Laminate Woods didn't carry very far they did roll out a fair distance. Typically I was hitting 5,6,7 into the greens. Needless to say once the Pro IIs joined the party I was golden. My 25 year old putter felt awesome with its leather grip. Oh Scotty we might have to part ways.

The reality is today I was throwing dimes. I wish I could say this proves technology hasn't progressed as much as we would all like to think. I believe today's throwback Tuesday was more of an anomally than a condemnation on today's advanced equipment. However, it does kind of prove the Indian is much more important than the Arrow. So next time you get the urge to drop $400 on a new driver I recommend you grab an old persimmon (not really) and head down to see you local golf pro for a few lessons.

I'm almost at the point of buying a persimmon driver. I had been playing my Cleveland Classic Custom XL for the last three years, which looks smaller than 460cc due to being a deep face driver, and now recently bought a TaylorMade M1. I'm definitely hitting the M1 further but at my home course I don't really need to hit it further.

What I need is the “experience” you know? The feeling of hitting a wood wood is much more satisfying than hitting a giant driver.

I just don't know how much longer I can take the club tech assault forced upon us by the OEMs.

Swing. Hit. Walk. Repeat. It doesn't need to be as complicated as equipment manufacturers make it out to be.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

What the... those look factory fresh. Nice score!

Yeah it was pretty amazing. The first set I wore the grooves to the point of being smooth. I found those on eBay and was feeling a little nostalgic. I really didn't need them and have only played with them a couple times.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I'm almost at the point of buying a persimmon driver. I had been playing my Cleveland Classic Custom XL for the last three years, which looks smaller than 460cc due to being a deep face driver, and now recently bought a TaylorMade M1. I'm definitely hitting the M1 further but at my home course I don't really need to hit it further.

What I need is the “experience” you know? The feeling of hitting a wood wood is much more satisfying than hitting a giant driver.

I just don't know how much longer I can take the club tech assault forced upon us by the OEMs.

Swing. Hit. Walk. Repeat. It doesn't need to be as complicated as equipment manufacturers make it out to be.

Modern drivers are much more forgiving and definitely longer. I do enjoy hitting the Ping Laminate for the reasons you stated. It is a great club to practice with because it forces you to maintain your tempo. you have to middle it to get over 200 yards.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Archived