Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is the Golf swing and baseball swing almost the same

Big money

Received a somewhat negative PM from a member on here.They told me my thread on using my baseball swing hitting a golf ball is incorrect and will lead too many bad faults.My teacher told me emulate my baseball swing.That is what I did and have had great results. I'm taking the club back extremely vertical and lifting up front foot. On the way down I'm planting front foot and torquing the bat club handle and hips open. Which I was told is a shallowing move . The instructor told me envision the ball as a low inside fastball. I've been just killing the ball and straight. My instructor sent me this long email that I will paste on here . Complementing what I'm feeling . And also stated that a golf swing is a baseball swing . So for that naysayer , here you go . My instructor also believes a baseball background is ideal for a proper golf swing. He even told me continue watching baseball training videos and stop watching golf videos . The baseball instructors Have better instructions for my swing

(An article my instructor wrote) (I copied and pasted here )

You want to take your club back straight along the target line, you will come down on an shallower plane. That pushes you to swing your club on an in to out path resulting in push draws on you. Also, you will dig nice shallow long divots pointing slightly left of your target. An correct golf swing is vertical going to shallow. The club face is torqued open versus closed in transition. It's a late hit verus an early closing the face hit. The true secret is torquing the bar or opening the face in transition

The true golf swing is a circle going around your body. To swing your club in a circle, you'd better copy a baseball swing. You will keep your club shaft more parallel to the ground and below your shoulders. You will feel your arms and club move around your body. Your club will work on a shallow in-to-in path. Swinging a bat correctly is a prerequisite for golf

The golf swing resembles swinging a baseball bat. You just swing a baseball bat and golf club on different planes. You swing a baseball bat on a flat plane. The ball is airborne. You swing your golf club on a more tilted plane. You must hit your ball sitting on the turf. No matter where your ball is, you need to carry out the same swing movements. It is not hard to perform a simple baseball swing. Think inside fastball . All the previous past great golfers were also great youth baseball players

Besides, the rounded arc created by your baseball swing helps you rotate your clubface properly through your shot. You will purge your game of slices without deliberate effort. Also, you'll move your right elbow down in front of your right hip on the downswing. Opening the face of the club in transition is a must. This allows you to swing your club on a shallow inside-square-to inside path, hitting straight shots or soft draws.

Importantly, baseball swing rids you of your tension, helping you create clubhead speed to the full. Swinging your club on a more horizontal plane leaves you relaxed. That encourages you to control your club by swinging your arms and hands with your shoulders reacting. You will rotate your forearms and club naturally, squaring your clubface through your shot. You will also swing your club full tilt through your ball.

To make a baseball swing, stand over your ball comfortably. Make sure a line extended down from each shoulder points slightly outside or beyond your toe line. You need to slide your hips slightly left. Or, just cock your knees toward the target. That will leave your left side higher than your right. That will also allow you to set your upper body behind your lower body. You need to do that when you are hitting your driver.

Place your hands in front of your left thigh. Make sure the club shaft is an extension of your left arm. You need to create a straight line running from your left-shoulder joint down to your clubhead. You will create a reverse K setup position. Stand a little bit closer to your ball so your hands are underneath your chin.

Keep your weight evenly balanced between your feet. You'd better place slightly more weight on your right foot when you're hitting your driver. You'd better take a wide stance. To ensure stability and balance, you need to make sure the distance between your heels is wider than your shoulders.

To carry out a proper takeaway, you need to make your golf swing a reflex like a baseball swing. Playing baseball, you don't have much time to think. You just have to make your swing. You see the ball coming and hit it. To hit your ball at your best, you need to do the same. A great way to do this is using a good swing trigger that suits you best.

Indeed, a good golf swing starts with a good swing trigger. A good swing trigger helps you start your backswing smoothly and freely. Roll your right foot just a fraction toward the target just before you take your club back. This move will serve to trigger your swing effortlessly. You'll find, especially under pressure, this move helps you take your club back gracefully and then make your swing confidently.

Often, you find it difficult to take your club away from your ball confidently. For a graceful takeaway, you need a familiar motion. Once you've kicked your right foot toward the target, imagine you're swinging a baseball bat. That will help you swing your club back smoothly and properly.

Equally important is to rotate your left forearm correctly as you swing your club back. You need to make sure the toe of your club points straight up to the sky at the end of your takeaway. You need to keep rotating your forearm all the way to the top. At the top, you need to feel the inside of your left forearm facing the ground.

Also, you need to hinge your wrists fully. Complete your backswing by hinging your wrists fully as you count ‘one'.

If you complete your backswing properly, your left arm will remain roughly at right angles to your spine. Importantly, you need to turn your shoulders fully so your left shoulder hits your chin. Also, your weight will be on your right heel. To feel the correct weight shift, pick up a ball and make a throwing motion. You will feel your weight shifting onto the heel of your right foot. You must move your weight the same way when you swing your club back.

Critically, avoid completing your backswing with your head tilted to the left. Allowing your left eye to sit lower than your right can cause serious problems. Tilting your head to the left, you'll have difficulty turning your shoulders freely and fully. Tilting to the left going back, you'll tilt to the right coming down. That can cause you to swing your club down too steeply, getting your club to bottom out prematurely. You will have diverse poor shots including pulls, pull-slices, thin shots or fat shots.

To produce solid strikes, you must keep your eyes level at the top of your backswing. Keeping your eyes level as they were at address will help you turn fully and stay in balance. You cannot hit your ball successfully unless you keep your balance.

Once you've finished your backswing correctly, begin your downswing by keeping your head steady as you count ‘two.' Steadying your head, you will automatically start your downswing properly with your lower body. You will also swing your club down on plane and on the correct path.

To ensure you hit your tee shots with an upward blow, you'd better keep your left ear behind your ball at impact. Similarly, you need to keep your left cheek in line with your ball to hit it with a downward blow. Toward this end, you must keep your head still as you swing your club down.

Letting your head wobble forward ahead of your ball before impact, you'll pull your shots left, often pushing it right. Typically, you will have straight pulls, pull-slices or pull-hooks thrust on you,

Stick your right knee to your left to whack your ball as you count ‘three.' That allows your body to turn fully through your shot and square your clubface. You will hit your ball far and straight to your satisfaction.

Keep it in the short stuff

I'll just reply with players like Lee Trevino, Arnold Palmer, Jim furyk, Bryson dechambeau. There are models for the perfect swing and there are people that are successful with unorthodox swings. Follow what your instructor is telling you since it is working. From my knowledge I would not expect someone to teach a baseball swing for a golf swing but the instructor is relating his information based on something you know. Stick with it!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

One of the better posts I've read.My pro told me do the opposite and close the club face in transition. Would that be the same as torquing it open inconjunction with the opening of the hips! Maybe some one smart on this can chime in . Will opening or closing the club in transition do the same effects of rear elbow forward . Just trying this with no club and I can see how that torque move prevents one to flip . I guess my pro was right as well , that torque on the way down is vital and maybe a secret for good golf.

And don't worry about naysayers. It's online forum and only connection you have with many is on the keyboard. You most likely never meet anyone on here . So take comments for what they are . Just a comment from an complete stranger that may or may not even be a good golfer . Or know what he or she is even talking about

Keep it in the short stuff

Your coach gave you thoughts and tips related to your swing. With your background you were given thoughts to help your body do what it already knows to do to help hit a golf ball.

If that's what YOUR coach wants you to do, and it works, then all is good and don't sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I have always thought the golf swing is very similar to the golf swing, having grown up playing baseball pretty much my entire life, my golf swing has to emulate that in some ways there may be some differences, but at the end of the day, if the ball goes where you want and how you wanted it to get there it shouldn't matter how you did it. Can you improve on it, sure, but in the words of all those commercials from a couple years ago, “swing your swing”

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

One of the better posts I've read.My pro told me do the opposite and close the club face in transition. Would that be the same as torquing it open inconjunction with the opening of the hips! Maybe some one smart on this can chime in . Will opening or closing the club in transition do the same effects of rear elbow forward .

Yes . All great golfers had torque in the transitional phase.And many times the lower body naturally opens with handle torque. The ‘free ride down' theory is a bunch of nonsense

Played with a guy last week that definitely had a baseball swing going with the clubs.  He hit the ball a mile, but had some consistency issues.  Your coach is familiar with your swing, and if it's working for you then don't worry about those that know your swing from what you have typed.  

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I played baseball until I was 18 and then started playing golf. I play with a 10 finger grip and yes a lot of the movements are the same. The planes are just different. There are definitely different intricacies for each however rotation, weight and balance are very similar. I wouldn't worry about advice from someone who doesn't know your swing. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

However you learn and as long as it works for you.

I played bball until I was 20 then softball til 40. Golf and baseball or softball never went together for me. Mind game or mechanics? No idea.....my traveling teams had a standing rule. No golf until our tourny was over. Missss out on some great courses.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Im an ex baseball guy as well. It's a blessing and a curse for golf but there are tons of good golfers who played baseball and hockey.

Kudos to your coach for taking your strengths and working with them. This is why I'm always encouraging guys to see their pro - what works for me may not work for you and vis a versa

I also think you're story is great because I'm pretty sure lots of guys don't not want to go to a teacher because they are afraid to make changes. Good teachers tend to make small subtle changes that aren't true verily difficult to implement. Unless the guy says he wants to play on tour. :)

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Man.. I have been thinking about this. As a young kid my main focus was horseshoes, a face on game. I played baseball, but never really cared for it after I was hit in the mouth with a fast ball and put my front teeth through my lip.

Horseshoes I pointed my hand at release at my target, and it went in that direction. I bet a face on putting stance I would be good with...

Some mechanics are similar, but hockey players make for more natural golfers

As a former baseball player myself, I would say that is because we are ingrained to not roll (release) your wrists and keep you weigh more towards your backside if not perfectly neutral. Both of those are big contributors to the EPIC baseball player slice.

On the positive side though, baseball players are able to tap into/utilize their lower body more naturally than most other athletes who transfer over to golf

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Someone sent you a pm and told you it was wrong???

That's messed up....

Do your thing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

When I was a kid growing up in vegas, I always played baseball in the spring/fall and it would always ruin my golf game for a while in the summer when golf season started for me, and the winter when I would get flown to Hawaii for break. I was always taught to keep my right elbow high in baseball, but everything I've read says to do the opposite in golf. I think specific instruction from your coach for YOUR swing is the best thing you could ask for. I'd be pretty upset if I was paying someone to help me and they just gave generic swing fault cures -- who knows if that's actually present in your swing?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

If you speak the language of baseball and you're learning Golf then guess what, I'm using that language to teach you a golf swing.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Nice to see such good advice. The only thing I can add is that most of us have problematic tendencies in our swing that need to be corrected. But the feel of those tendencies is ingrained. In order to correct those tendencies, our coaches often need to take us too far in the other direction to help us find the center point. Your instruction works for your flaws. It won't work for someone else and their flaws.

And as bens said, if your instructor can express it in a language that makes sense to you, so much the better. A good teacher can take the sport you know and relate it to this game.

No one can properly diagnose your swing issues from a forum post.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

And my last lesson, my instructor had me take several baseball level swings using my previous baseball swing and just snapped in my hands sooner versus later like you do when swinging a bat, then Transition that into the golf swing. Works awesome for me!

While there is a more “Golf” way to do it, got to use what you know. The Golf swing is analyzed and broken down into 1 million different parts… down to smallest minutia.

If using a “baseball-based” swing gets the ball where you wanted to go, that's all that matters

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

One of the kids I used to coach has become a college baseball coach. Each year, he has a golf cut-off date for guys on the team. After this date they are not allowed to touch a golf club until the season is over. He firmly believes that the golf swing is a major hindrance to batting.

Now, I understand that this is the opposite of what you ask, but it does make the point that the two are somewhat close, but not necessarily good for the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Someone sent you a pm and told you it was wrong???

That's messed up....

Do your thing.

It wasn't that bad - they sent him a PM and told him his teacher was wrong.

To be fair to the PMer it's true that this isn't often how a teacher will start a player. But again it shows how most golf instructors work with players where they are at to help build as repeatable and efficient a swing as possible.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'd bet I know who the PM was from...but I'll keep that to myself.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Personally....and this is just me.... I think sending someone a private message with unsolicited advice is improper. If two people were having a discussion and decided to take it off line with a PM then I get that... and I think the OP mentioned it was negative in some way.

Just my view...back to the topic at hand, I think that the way a baseball player uses his hips and weight shift transitions nicely into the golf swing. It's just a matter of using the arms and wrists a bit differently.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

One of the kids I used to coach has become a college baseball coach. Each year, he has a golf cut-off date for guys on the team. After this date they are not allowed to touch a golf club until the season is over. He firmly believes that the golf swing is a major hindrance to batting.

Now, I understand that this is the opposite of what you ask, but it does make the point that the two are somewhat close, but not necessarily good for the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I was in grad school, my golf league was the same afternoon as one of my softball leagues. It almost became comical how one effected the other - if I hit the golf ball well, I could almost guarantee I was in for a night of a lot of pop-ups at softball and vice versa.

I do agree that if the teacher is speaking in terms of a feeling to which you can relate, that is the important thing.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Played ball through college not playing golf thinking it would mess up my baseball swing, even taught myself to golf right handed to not mess up my baseball swing. After 4 years of thinking about and practicing nothing but golf I can say for sure, the swings are very similar, just on different planes.

Like you said above I liken hitting a golf ball to letting the bat drop on a low inside fastball. Works pretty well!!

One other thing if you haven't already read Hogan's 5 lessons, he talks a lot about baseball in there too!!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Man that was a long dang post! 😁 There was a guy who use to play in the NBA named World B Free. He had the craziest shot and kind of broke every fundamental rule every taught in regards to shooting a basketball. Regardless of his poor form he could simply fill up the hoop. Sooooo, if it's working for you and it's repeatable plus achieves your desired results then keep on keeping on with that very unique technique.

The one thing I would be concerned about is the inability to push past a plateau. You might find that your deviation from the accepted norms in golf form and function might create a low ceiling for your continued improvement.

Although there are countless examples of anamolous excellent performance one could argue that the overwhelming number of good to great golfers all share the same basic fundamentals.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

If it works for you, then by all means, keep doing it. I played more little league baseball before getting serious with golf, so what I was taught hitting a baseball, translated to golf for sure, even though I couldn't tell you when or how I made the transition. I don't disagree with the premise of your thread here, as there are many similarities between the baseball and golf swings. In fact, many baseball players become good golfers in their later years, so there has to be a positive correlation between the two.

Either way, if it works for you keep doing it. Now chipping and putting, that's a totally different animal that I don't think anyone will ever conquer.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Quote: “One of the better posts I've read.My pro told me do the opposite and close the club face in transition. Would that be the same as torquing it open inconjunction with the opening of the hips! Maybe some one smart on this can chime in . Will opening or closing the club in transition do the same effects of rear elbow forward . Just trying this with no club and I can see how that torque move prevents one to flip . I guess my pro was right as well , that torque on the way down is vital and maybe a secret for good golf. “

Opening the face in transition has the effect of moving the clubhead more behind you, so it drops behind and below the backswing plane... in other words it flattens or shallows the plane of the downswing.

Mike Malaska relates the golf swing to a baseball swing. He says its like hitting a pitch that is low and outside. That thought facilitates a better release than a low inside pitch, i think, since you don't rotate your forearms as much for an inside pitch, but when you reach for an outside pitch you lengthen your arc and rotate the forearms more fully. Lack of forearm rotation and keeping the right arm too bent at impact is why former baseball players struggle with the gigantic slice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2