Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is the Golf swing and baseball swing almost the same

Big money

I spent the afternoon hitting balls with a baseball swing in mind. It's a very 2 plane feel, upright for the backswing and flat for the downswing, vertical to shallow. A little rerouting. I think the key is to remember that the bat only relates to the shaft, not the face.

Pretend you're hitting a low outside pitch as a grounder between first and second base... you'll come from the inside with good shaft lean, and though it will feel like a tremendous blocked push shot, your grip will square the clubface and you'll hit great shots off the turf. But you still need the feel of quick hands to release it right, which is where the inside fastball feel comes in.

Don't try to swing for the left field fence!!! That will be a mega-slice. Hit a grounder to right field, and that's the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Quote: “One of the better posts I've read.My pro told me do the opposite and close the club face in transition. Would that be the same as torquing it open inconjunction with the opening of the hips! Maybe some one smart on this can chime in . Will opening or closing the club in transition do the same effects of rear elbow forward . Just trying this with no club and I can see how that torque move prevents one to flip . I guess my pro was right as well , that torque on the way down is vital and maybe a secret for good golf. “

Opening the face in transition has the effect of moving the clubhead more behind you, so it drops behind and below the backswing plane... in other words it flattens or shallows the plane of the downswing.

Mike Malaska relates the golf swing to a baseball swing. He says its like hitting a pitch that is low and outside. That thought facilitates a better release than a low inside pitch, i think, since you don't rotate your forearms as much for an inside pitch, but when you reach for an outside pitch you lengthen your arc and rotate the forearms more fully. Lack of forearm rotation and keeping the right arm too bent at impact is why former baseball players struggle with the gigantic slice.

. I've tried this a few times in my net.Was successful using a baseball backswing ONLY! If I physically rerouted the club under into the ball.Was pretty successful opening the club and also closing it this way.When I came straight down the results were awful and felt extremely steep.And ended up shanking a few in the net.Only way was rerouting it physically into the ball.Had a real nice pop feeling hitting it this way.Unfortunately results are always bad Anytime I physically alter the downswing while playing golf.If I could make this move automatic I would be all set.

Keep it in the short stuff

I spent the afternoon hitting balls with a baseball swing in mind. It's a very 2 plane feel, upright for the backswing and flat for the downswing, vertical to shallow. A little rerouting. I think the key is to remember that the bat only relates to the shaft, not the face.

Pretend you're hitting a low outside pitch as a grounder between first and second base... you'll come from the inside with good shaft lean, and though it will feel like a tremendous blocked push shot, your grip will square the clubface and you'll hit great shots off the turf. But you still need the feel of quick hands to release it right, which is where the inside fastball feel comes in.

Don't try to swing for the left field fence!!! That will be a mega-slice. Hit a grounder to right field, and that's the shot.

perfect post.For anyone that is or was a steep golfer with bad rotation this is key.The opening or turning of the bat handle on the way down is vital.Anyone who tells a steep golfer close the club face on the way down is an complete idiot.Ive had a few lessons where the pro told me this.I would just look at him and say ‘hell no'.Previous steep golfers like myself will hit the ball left of left (for a right hander) every time.And than develop a nasty flip open release over time so they can try and get the ball in play.Not sure why more instructors don't advocate an open clubface transition with an natural torqued release at impact.Really produces some simple powerful shots.And a natural inside shallow approach into the ball Edited by Ott95

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent comments everyone. Went practicing today and was consistently carrying my 6 iron 200 yards.With a very noticeable draw

Can swing almost as hard as I want now

Wait... what..??

So you're either a young beast with incredible swing speed, or, you're playing some of the new mega distance irons, like the rogues or something.

But I digress...

I played open league softball for years and years. Where the pitches were dropping out of the sky straight down vs fastballs etc...

Quite often the play was to let the ball drop almost to the plate, then “golf it” out to right field. But most everyone at that level turned their wrists over like a golfer does, and I thinks that's the power generating move.

Plus in baseball there is no backswing, so that also is a big diff.

But at the end of the day, swinging any stick to hit any ball a long way, the same motion at contact is the same thing...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

You're standing vertically for either swing, yet the swings are on completely different planes, so the mechanics are by necessity different.

I think the golf swing is actually more like a tennis serve than a baseball swing. They're both on a more vertical plane, and in both instances, you know exactly where the ball is.  The baseball swing is horizontal, and you have to square up with the trajectory of the pitched ball which varies.

You're standing vertically for either swing, yet the swings are on completely different planes, so the mechanics are by necessity different.

I think the golf swing is actually more like a tennis serve than a baseball swing. They're both on a more vertical plane, and in both instances, you know exactly where the ball is. The baseball swing is horizontal, and you have to square up with the trajectory of the pitched ball which varies.

Yet, each is on an axis.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 4 years later...