Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Rattlesnake Vaccine for Dogs

fixyurdivot

Fellow Spy's.  We recently added a member of the family; now 4 month old yellow lab named River.  We live in southwest Montana and do have Prairie Rattlesnakes. Our vet is suggesting the rattlesnake vaccine as part of the compliment of shots.  My internet research on this is yielding mixed reviews.  Primarily concerning to me is that the company that produces the USDA approved vaccine has not published any updated efficacy tests since its debut on the market in 2004. One would think that after 14 years on the market, they would be advertising positive results... that's assuming there are any.   :unsure:

I'd like to hear from those living in the western states who have decided to have their dogs receive the rattlesnake vaccine.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

A friend of mine is moving to Texas and said he will be adding it to his dogs compliment. I have no clue how affective it is, but the lack of update may be there is not a lot of dogs bitten. I suggest an avoidance class and vets will normally not steer you wrong they don't generally get kick backs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't but a good friend of mine who lives in Phoenix just had their bulldog get bit in the face by a rattler. Their vet said her tough hide and hard head definitely protected her but that she really should get the vaccine included with her annual shots. I had never heard of it before

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I would have the dog get the shot. If there are no side effects, even if it is not effective then it doesn't matter. If it is effective then it is good to have. I would feel bad it my dog got bitten and I hadn't gotten the vaccine for the dog.

IMHO the is no downside.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I would have the dog get the shot. If there are no side effects, even if it is not effective then it doesn't matter. If it is effective then it is good to have. I would feel bad it my dog got bitten and I hadn't gotten the vaccine for the dog.

IMHO the is no downside.

There have been some bad reactions documented, but suspect that risk is really low. The other question is about effectiveness since the vaccine is derived from western diamondback rattlesnakes.  Most of what I'm reading say's there is little data showing how well it works on other pit viper venom.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

This is exactly what makes this forum great. I can't help here but wanted to thank you for starting this thread. I love my dog and would do anything to protect her as she would for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There have been some bad reactions documented, but suspect that risk is really low. The other question is about effectiveness since the vaccine is derived from western diamondback rattlesnakes. Most of what I'm reading say's there is little data showing how well it works on other pit viper venom.

The way the antivenom works for humans is it's based off of the genus as a whole not individual species. It would be incredibly difficult to make an antivenom for every species. The way that all rattlesnake toxins work is pretty similar, but not the same. So the vaccine would work like it does in humans and that means it's based off the most potent strain which means it should work on all the lesser strains.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There have been some bad reactions documented, but suspect that risk is really low. The other question is about effectiveness since the vaccine is derived from western diamondback rattlesnakes. Most of what I'm reading say's there is little data showing how well it works on other pit viper venom.

I would suspect the risk is really low as well. Some humans every have reactions to vaccines but it is very rare.

While it may have been developed from specific species of rattlesnake; the difference in venom is mimimal.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived