TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft extension, good or bad?

So after a fitting with Titleist, I am looking for a 917D2 with shaft length of 45". The shop at my club has a like new 917D2, but the shaft is -1" at 44". So two questions, first can that difference be significant? And second, are there really any noticeable differences with shafts that have been extended (with some sort of plug in the butt end) vs those of the same length not extended? In this case a shaft at 45" vs a 44" shaft with a 1" extension to get it to 45"

Thanks!

A lot of things go into changing the length of the shaft. Definitely don't just do it off the cuff without utilizing a good club fitter/builder. I recently got a fitting for my 917D2. The OEM affiliated fitter noted that 45" is their standard length for that club. Since changing the shaft length can/will alter the swing weight, doing so through the manufacturer's fitter would be the best course to take.

Generically shaft length will become a trade off of control vs. club head speed. A 1/2 inch either way doesn't drastically change the club head speed, but for most, the shorter shaft will result in better control and contact closer to the sweet spot (making up for the small mph reduction).

For each golfer out there, there is an ideal shaft/length/weight/head combination that maximizes performance. Using a fitter is the best way to find that. If the swing weight is right, you want to make sure the shaft length change doesn't take the swing weight and kick points out of you max performance zone.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Difference can absolutely be significant.  Not only could the swing weight be different with the shorter shaft, but a shorter shaft might produce an entirely different strike location for you.

A shaft extension could definitely be an option and shouldn't effect feel or performance if done right.

Also - can you be sure that the driver shaft in the shop was butt trimmed to 44 and not tip trimmed?  If it was tipped then it will play stiffer.

Easy way to find out if it's tip trimmed is match it with the same shaft on a stock club and see if the graphics line up.

If you're buying this driver and plan to keep it make sure you buy something you really want and like. Don't settle!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Easy way to find out if it's tip trimmed is match it with the same shaft on a stock club and see if the graphics line up.

If you're buying this driver and plan to keep it make sure you buy something you really want and like. Don't settle!

Agreed - it is one of the main reason I don't by used clubs on ebay anymore.  Got burned by someone who re labeled regular flex irons as stiff. 

Difference can absolutely be significant.  Not only could the swing weight be different with the shorter shaft, but a shorter shaft might produce an entirely different strike location for you.

A shaft extension could definitely be an option and shouldn't effect feel or performance if done right.

Also - can you be sure that the driver shaft in the shop was butt trimmed to 44 and not tip trimmed?  If it was tipped then it will play stiffer.

Excellent points.  On second inspection, I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't a 3 wood shaft.  The shaft measures 43 3/4" at the butt end of the grip.  Are the shafts interchangeable between the 917D2 and the 917F2?

Either way, the shop is looking for the proper 45" standard length shaft for me.  Hopefully they can swap it out as the clubhead appears to have only been hit once or twice.

• 3 years later...

Key word here is ‘like new’ 
basically a used club

Will they let you hit it on the driving range?  On the course?

The standard length of a Driver in the old days was 43 1/2

Most people would benefit accuracy wise to choke up 1/2” or more on their tee shot

in fact you’ll probably hit it just as far

On 7/12/2018 at 10:38 AM, Toro3150 said:

Excellent points.  On second inspection, I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't a 3 wood shaft.  The shaft measures 43 3/4" at the butt end of the grip.  Are the shafts interchangeable between the 917D2 and the 917F2?

Either way, the shop is looking for the proper 45" standard length shaft for me.  Hopefully they can swap it out as the clubhead appears to have only been hit once or twice.

The shaft length from grip to adapter is to get a playing length of the driver. Shafts come raw 47-48”. Then are tipped and/or butt trimmed for length placed in an adapter and then once inserted in the driver you get the overall playing length. If it was a 3wood shaft it would measure around 42-43 depending on the trimming done. 

I have a titleist 4w shaft that measures just under 43 and a driver shaft for titleist that is just under 2” longer and I play my driver at 46”

The driver shaft doesn’t fit the fw head

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The driver shaft doesn’t fit the fw head

Wouldn’t it be better to say that the titleist driver and fairway wood require different adapters?  They can have the same shaft.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Wouldn’t it be better to say that the titleist driver and fairway wood require different adapters?  They can have the same shaft.  

Yes that would be a better explanation. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The 1" extension is the easiest and most cost effective change you can make to the driver. 

1" is about all you would want to extend a driver IMO due to the stresses applies at the end of the shaft. 

You must ensure the extension is the proper size to prevent further breakage and no you should feel a difference except for the slightly head head feel from adding an inch to the club.

If the fitting produce good results with the a 45" club then  what can it hurt?

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I was fitted for a Callaway Maverik last year and they convinced me to get it -1". When I got it I was hitting it 10-15yds shorter and swinging 5mph slower than my regular length Epic. I've since had 1" plug put in the shaft and getting a lot better results.

I know the older Titleist (910 and 913) adaptors were not compatible between driver and 3w but they changed the adaptor at the 915. 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

8 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

I know the older Titleist (910 and 913) adaptors were not compatible between driver and 3w but they changed the adaptor at the 915. 

drivers are interchangeable with drivers and fairways are interchangeable with fairways going back quite a few models.  But you cannot. Swap driver and fairway.   You can find the compatibility listing on the titleist website.  

https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-club-fitting/surefit

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG