cnosil

Golf Statistics

I'd be curious to see a comparison of performance from the rough to average score.

If we're hitting a minor number of fairways then the ability to get out of the rough and onto the green in regulation would seem to correlate closely to potential to score low.

Maybe Arccos will release those kind of numbers based on performance numbers they have.

• Like 1

Managing expectations is incredibly important when it comes to golf. Sometimes we just flat out have a talent cap and no matter how hard we work, cannot perform like a PGA Pro or a scratch golfer. Understanding your skill level, and then trying to be the best version of that is going to help enjoyment of the game.

Also, golf provides us mere mortals a way to play with more talented players with the handicap system.

As to stats, they help paint the picture that golf is a game of minimizing failure and maximizing success. There are times on the course where you can flat out full swing, and there are other times we need to swallow or pride and lay up to a better position.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I don't hit a lot of fairways (~40% on a good day). In my mind, a "good" driving day is when my misses are still playable and there is at least a chance at a GIR.

^^^^^^ this is my outlook as well^^^^

• Like 1

That's why it always cracks me up when internet golfers talk about hitting 75% of their fairways and greens.

I don't think a lot of amateur golfers have a realistic baseline for what they should be achieving.

I routinely hit 11-12 out of 14 fairways that's about roughly 80% of the time. My problem is that my GIR is not even close. Probably 5 per round which is roughly 25%. I don't generally 3 putt a lot though on occasion. I would say that those averages for the pros vs us are pretty close to reality on the overall, some people will be better in some areas and some in other areas, but what set the pros and scratches apart is the consistency at which the perform for all phases. I can hit fairway but not greens, I can putt decently. I am a 5 Hcp. The pros hit fairways, greens and putt well.

I routinely hit 11-12 out of 14 fairways that's about roughly 80% of the time. My problem is that my GIR is not even close. Probably 5 per round which is roughly 25%. I don't generally 3 putt a lot though on occasion. I would say that those averages for the pros vs us are pretty close to reality on the overall, some people will be better in some areas and some in other areas, but what set the pros and scratches apart is the consistency at which the perform for all phases. I can hit fairway but not greens, I can putt decently. I am a 5 Hcp. The pros hit fairways, greens and putt well.

To add to your post, I think another way that makes the pros stand out is that when they miss, they generally end up in good spots.  Whereas us mortals tend to miss in spots that cost us more than a stroke.  

To add to your post, I think another way that makes the pros stand out is that when they miss, they generally end up in good spots. Whereas us mortals tend to miss in spots that cost us more than a stroke.

Or.. they miss terribly and somehow pull out a miracle and get up and down for par. Whereas for me, it would be a triple bogey.

• Like 1

Or.. they miss terribly and somehow pull out a miracle and get up and down for par. Whereas for me, it would be a triple bogey.

Likewise.  Doubles and triples for days :lol: 

• Like 1

I hit it about 270 and hit 30% of fairways and hit about 8 GIR on a good day. My biggest problem is when I miss a green it is usually a double or a triple.

• Like 1

I'd be curious to see a comparison of performance from the rough to average score.

If we're hitting a minor number of fairways then the ability to get out of the rough and onto the green in regulation would seem to correlate closely to potential to score low.

We have that recent blog post with arccos stats showing their players are more accurate with the 4 iron off the tee yet longer with the 4 hybrid. Very telling is the fact that the average score is lower with the hybrid.

Fairways hit is the one stat that I can and do out perform touring pros on - mainly because I'm so much shorter that my off line shots stay in the short stuff - I average a shade under 75 percent on fairways hit and more importantly take very few penalties off the tee.

Of those two the lack of penalties is far more important - the longer a person can hit it while avoiding penalties (those include in the trees, fairway traps, unplayable rough besides OB and water) the better chance he has of shooting a lower score. Shorter iron in equals closer proximity to the hole equals fewer putts equals lower scores.

Fairways hit as a statistic are the lie that CSnoil spoke to earlier. There is very little correlation to that number and overall score beyond the fact that you normally don't take a penalty by hitting a fairway (you could however by my definition - you could be in the fairway but blocked by a tree)

• Like 1

And remember, any pro stats are with narrow fairways and the golfers are having to hit further into that narrower fairway. That's a stat we mortals should be able to realistically go after on our regular courses.

GIR and putting is another story. Although slower, less complicated greens are certainly in our advantage

At the Marathon Classic (LPGA) this week, we saw plenty of 3 putts. I don't feel so bad. 

• Like 1

And remember, any pro stats are with narrow fairways and the golfers are having to hit further into that narrower fairway. That's a stat we mortals should be able to realistically go after on our regular courses.

GIR and putting is another story. Although slower, less complicated greens are certainly in our advantage

The problem we have as amateurs is that the speeds aren't consistent from course to course or even week to week on the same course.   PGA pros have the advantage that they have the same conditions week in and week out.   Have seen some analysts say this is why LPGA players aren't as good as PGA players. 

• Like 1

The problem we have as amateurs is that the speeds aren't consistent from course to course or even week to week on the same course. PGA pros have the advantage that they have the same conditions week in and week out. Have seen some analysts say this is why LPGA players aren't as good as PGA players.

My biggest complaint about the PGA tour is that it essentially plays the same course every week in that course set up is very uniform. Heck the PGA made Whistling Straits change it's grass out before it started hosting PGAs.

• Like 4

My biggest complaint about the PGA tour is that it essentially plays the same course every week in that course set up is very uniform. Heck the PGA made Whistling Straits change it's grass out before it started hosting PGAs.

Agreed. I like the fact that on the European tour the players are forced to contend with various grass types, lengths, course styles etc. The PGA should work to allow variety in the courses so the viewers can see real imagination at work like we will see this weekend with the British Open.

• Like 2

I need to hit FIR if I want to score well. I generally dont get hurt real bad off the tee but my scores are lower when im in the 75% or better range. I generally have to hit irons and hybrids off the box to achieve that. That will generally lower my GIR as im hitting longer irons in so I need to chip and putt well.

Im sure if the pros played courses like we do, their % would be way high.

Agreed. I like the fact that on the European tour the players are forced to contend with various grass types, lengths, course styles etc. The PGA should work to allow variety in the courses so the viewers can see real imagination at work like we will see this weekend with the British Open.

Fully agree - the European Tour plays a much greater variety of courses and seemingly plays them as they lay

• Like 2

Fully agree - the European Tour plays a much greater variety of courses and seemingly plays them as they lay

I was just looking at their schedule.

Much more entertaining than the JD Open...

• Like 2