TESTERS WANTED! ×

When being cheap doesn’t pay off

robertson153

This past Saturday I broke my driver shaft. This is the first club I've broken out of anger, stupid I know. So it broke off clean right at the adapter, I thought what's an inch? Had a friend put a new tip on it and my original adapter. He told me that it would change everything about it before he did it. I wished I would've listened. Can't hit nothing but pulls and hooks. I should have just cut my losses and ordered a new shaft, but I was being cheap. Now I'm off tomorrow for a 3 day weekend golfing trip with a driver I'm afraid to swing. Looking like a lot of 3 wood and hybrid shots off the tee.

Enough of my sad story. Anyone else tried to go cheap with fixing a broken club or just put inferior pieces together to get by?

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

This past Saturday I broke my driver shaft. This is the first club I've broken out of anger, stupid I know. So it broke off clean right at the adapter, I thought what's an inch? Had a friend put a new tip on it and my original adapter. He told me that it would change everything about it before he did it. I wished I would've listened. Can't hit nothing but pulls and hooks. I should have just cut my losses and ordered a new shaft, but I was being cheap. Now I'm off tomorrow for a 3 day weekend golfing trip with a driver I'm afraid to swing. Looking like a lot of 3 wood and hybrid shots off the tee.

Enough of my sad story. Anyone else tried to go cheap with fixing a broken club or just put inferior pieces together to get by?

Blake

Well, the top inch and a half of my driver shaft is broken and flopping around when I swing. It has been broken for over a year and I still haven't fixed it. It is not so much cheap as lazy. Anyway I still hit it fine.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Blake

I'm so financially irresponsible that I would just jump at the opportunity to spend money on clubs. The fact that I'm pretty happy with my bag (except between 3w and 4i -- still testing) is a good and bad thing. It's good because I tell myself new gear probably won't help me, but it's bad because I AM SOOOO ITCHY!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Blake

You can prolly get one installed on the trip if they do club work on site at a course. An adapter install dries very quickly. 9 holes without it won't kill you.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Of course I've done stuff this stupid and far more so. No doubt I would have gone right out and bought the wrong driver so that I could have one on my trip. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Occasionally. But once on a trip out west I had a driver shaft snap. Bought a cheapo off brand driver out of a bargain bucket in the shop. Hit the most beautiful draws I've ever hit all week using it . Came home and hit it like garbage

Was living the dream for 3 rounds and than it went sour.But 3 rounds of my most consistent driving of my life

Keep it in the short stuff

Update. I got working fairly well Friday and Saturday, then took it out of the bag Sunday morning for a range warmup session, head was loose and I pulled it right off . Probably the best thing that could've happened. Put the head in my bag and got out the 3 wood. Was in the final group on Sunday, came in 2nd but hit 12 out of 14 fairways. New shaft is ordered and on the way, which is what I should've done to start with.

CobraConnectChallenge3

Update. I got working fairly well Friday and Saturday, then took it out of the bag Sunday morning for a range warmup session, head was loose and I pulled it right off . Probably the best thing that could've happened. Put the head in my bag and got out the 3 wood. Was in the final group on Sunday, came in 2nd but hit 12 out of 14 fairways. New shaft is ordered and on the way, which is what I should've done to start with.

Good decision........fairways and greens to ya!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Buy cheap, buy twice!

good motto

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Archived