Sign in to follow this  
robertson153

When being cheap doesn’t pay off

This past Saturday I broke my driver shaft. This is the first club I've broken out of anger, stupid I know. So it broke off clean right at the adapter, I thought what's an inch? Had a friend put a new tip on it and my original adapter. He told me that it would change everything about it before he did it. I wished I would've listened. Can't hit nothing but pulls and hooks. I should have just cut my losses and ordered a new shaft, but I was being cheap. Now I'm off tomorrow for a 3 day weekend golfing trip with a driver I'm afraid to swing. Looking like a lot of 3 wood and hybrid shots off the tee.

Enough of my sad story. Anyone else tried to go cheap with fixing a broken club or just put inferior pieces together to get by?

Blake

• Like 2

This past Saturday I broke my driver shaft. This is the first club I've broken out of anger, stupid I know. So it broke off clean right at the adapter, I thought what's an inch? Had a friend put a new tip on it and my original adapter. He told me that it would change everything about it before he did it. I wished I would've listened. Can't hit nothing but pulls and hooks. I should have just cut my losses and ordered a new shaft, but I was being cheap. Now I'm off tomorrow for a 3 day weekend golfing trip with a driver I'm afraid to swing. Looking like a lot of 3 wood and hybrid shots off the tee.

Enough of my sad story. Anyone else tried to go cheap with fixing a broken club or just put inferior pieces together to get by?

Blake

Well, the top inch and a half of my driver shaft is broken and flopping around when I swing. It has been broken for over a year and I still haven't fixed it. It is not so much cheap as lazy. Anyway I still hit it fine.
  • Like 1

Blake

I'm so financially irresponsible that I would just jump at the opportunity to spend money on clubs. The fact that I'm pretty happy with my bag (except between 3w and 4i -- still testing) is a good and bad thing. It's good because I tell myself new gear probably won't help me, but it's bad because I AM SOOOO ITCHY!

• Like 4

Blake

You can prolly get one installed on the trip if they do club work on site at a course. An adapter install dries very quickly. 9 holes without it won't kill you.
  • Like 2

Of course I've done stuff this stupid and far more so. No doubt I would have gone right out and bought the wrong driver so that I could have one on my trip. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Occasionally. But once on a trip out west I had a driver shaft snap. Bought a cheapo off brand driver out of a bargain bucket in the shop. Hit the most beautiful draws I've ever hit all week using it . Came home and hit it like garbage

Was living the dream for 3 rounds and than it went sour.But 3 rounds of my most consistent driving of my life

• Like 3

Update. I got working fairly well Friday and Saturday, then took it out of the bag Sunday morning for a range warmup session, head was loose and I pulled it right off . Probably the best thing that could've happened. Put the head in my bag and got out the 3 wood. Was in the final group on Sunday, came in 2nd but hit 12 out of 14 fairways. New shaft is ordered and on the way, which is what I should've done to start with.

• Like 6

Update. I got working fairly well Friday and Saturday, then took it out of the bag Sunday morning for a range warmup session, head was loose and I pulled it right off . Probably the best thing that could've happened. Put the head in my bag and got out the 3 wood. Was in the final group on Sunday, came in 2nd but hit 12 out of 14 fairways. New shaft is ordered and on the way, which is what I should've done to start with.

Good decision........fairways and greens to ya!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

• Like 1