TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Holy Grail

Over the years I have had many different clubs in my bag, from custom fit to off the rack, there have been numerous. There are 3 that for whatever reason have been almost perfect for my swing at the time. Clubs that I had complete confidence in no matter the situation or shot in front of me. Of course being a poor iron player none of them have been irons. What are the clubs that have been perfect for you and the story behind them? Are they still in your bag?

1) Ping TISI driver with BiMatrix shaft (off the rack). This thing was unbelievable. I hit my longest driver ever with it, in fact qualified for the long drive championships with it (didn't go because I really had no money or chance to truly compete.) Unfortunately it was stolen from the Pro Shop I was the assistant at and took me 3 years to find something even comparable. 

2) Never Compromise center shaft putter. (off the rack) I made everything with it. I have always been a great putter but during its brief tenure it made me a lot of money. In my younger years I had a bit of a temper and one day after missing a putt that I felt I should have made I kicked the shaft just above the head and bent it. Never could get it right again. It has taken me 13 years to find a replacement that I have the same confidence with.

3) Taylor Made TP R7 Quad with Fujikura 757 (custom) When I was working in the golf business I was on staff with Taylor Made and was lucky enough to be invited to Carlsbad to go through their new facility. I was one of the first people to tour it and get fit. It just happened to be the day the driving range opened that I was there. This club was the longest tenured club to ever reside in my bag. I didn't replace it until the SLDR came out. It was not as long as the Ping was but the confidence and consistency I had with it was unparalleled. 

I hope someday my bag will be full of clubs as good as those 3 were to me in their day.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Ok here I go.... again.  :unsure:

1st - was my Ping Zing putter that was in my bag for perhaps 20 years. Than one day it went cold and I freaked. I eventually found an OTR Odyssey Wht. #9 and liked it very much. Later I decided I HAD to get a custom putter so I bought a fitted Edel. It's a good putter and I continue to putt very well with it but no better then anything before it. I just putt good for some reason. Thank you Lord.

2nd - is my 2014 TM SLDR. I got it here from MGS back in 2014 for a review. It's OTR.  Later, and again; I thought I needed to have a custom driver. So I tried to like and own a new custom fit and built Wishon 919THI but for whatever reason it was a non-starter and I returned it. So I continued with my SLDR and loving life every Saturday in the big game. Then this past spring I thought for no particular reason really that I'd like to try something different. That would be the 2015 Cobra Fly-Z+. Beautiful driver and #3 on MGS Most Wanted list in 2015. Didn't work out. I tried three different shafts and went on the LM, adjusted weights, etc., but it couldn't beat or match the SLDR in all categories. So one day a little later I thought - maybe I'd better buy another SLDR just in case this one caves in or cracks or something. And that's exactly what I did. I found a brand new one exactly like my gamer and purchased it for about $90. It's my spare should something happen to old faithful. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've had the same Nicklaus Air Max 3-wood in my for at least 15 years. It never let me down but I've pulled it out recently for an 18* wood as I wasn't using the 3-wood at all on my new home course.

But my truly magical set of irons were a Dynacraft Pro Cavity Irons I built in 2003. They were 2* upright and 1/2” short and they were lasers. Man, I attacked pins with those things.

Then, vanity got the best of me and I had to get a set of Mizuno MX-23's. Not even close to the same results as with the Dynacraft's.

In my 20's I had to have a “name” iron, now I don't care and just want the best performance. Wish I had those Dynacraft's again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Ping Glide 52* wedge I have abosolute confidence in this club. I can hit any shot around the green I want and out of the fairway it is just point and shoot.

Ping B60 putter- I just can't beat it. Best putter I have ever putted with. I have hit soooo many other putters but just can't unseat it. It just rolls the ball so well.

Of course now that I write this the wedge and putter will go to crap. 🙂

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

In college it was a 975D 8.5 with a UST ProForce purple and gold 75X.

44.5” of absolute war.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I've been playing golf since 2012, so not quite as long as most people in the forums, but over the years there have been only 4 clubs that I've had complete confidence in:

1) Callaway Big Bertha (2014) 3 wood - Prior to getting this club, I'd been struggling with fairway woods particularly off the deck. I bought this club in late 2013 as a replacement to my Razr 3 wood (I've always been a fan of Callaway woods & drivers), and immediately found that it was a fairway-finder. Whenever I was struggling with my driver, my 3 wood was the saviour. However, late last year I had to retire it due to a crack developing just behind the face on the underside. I was worried that I might break it if I kept playing with it. Whilst it was no longer under warranty, I did get a discount on its replacement - club #2. Whilst I may no longer have the BB wood with me, my Dad is loving it although I am worried he will properly break it one day.

2) Callaway Epic Sub Zero (2017) 3 wood - I was a big fan of the previous generation Big Bertha Alpha fairway wood (the black one with 2 weights), but wasn't able to find one immediately after cracking my old fairway. Thankfully, this fairway fitted the bill better. Off the tee, I have a lot of control on the flight and shape of shots, and can hit low punch stingers off the tee that will run forever. I feel like this club will be in the bag for a long time!!

3) Callaway MD2 Gap Wedge - I bought this club in 2013/14 as a replacement to my Cleveland 588 RTX, which had the spinner shaft in it (kept on hooking the crap out of it). Once it was in the bag, it started making me money on the course. The feel was fantastic (Callaway needs to make forged wedges again!!), with the flight and spin being perfect for the 15 handicapper I was at the time. Over the past 6 months, I could see that the grooves were too scuffed and wearing fast, so I replaced it with a Vokey SM6 last month (yes, I could've gotten an SM7, but the SM6s were on special and they felt better to me). Only time will tell if the Vokey can properly replace the MD2.

4) Taylormade Rosca Daytona (Black). I was given this putter by my Dad (who's now using it to great effect) back in 2013/14 for Christmas/Birthday (not sure which occasion), as I had been getting better at putting but the current putter had no feeling. Whilst it took some adjusting (it was much lighter than my old putter), I was able to improve my putting thanks to the great feel and control off the insert (which was the precursor to the current TM Spider putter inserts). It even had a starring role in a Youtube video a few years ago. Over the past year, I'd been struggling with my longer putts so I bought a TM TP Collection Soto which has a slightly heavier head to help mitigate this issue. As a result, I currently have complete faith in my putting, so the Soto won't be leaving the bag anytime soon.

And yes, there is a common theme to this - my Dad's received a few "hand-me-ups" from me over the past year or so. These have included my old Big Bertha fairway wood & driver, Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid (which he loves dearly!) and my old Taylormade putter (which is working well for him!). Has anyone else given their father or older relatives their old clubs?

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

I got alot of hand me downs from my dad, but only once did I hand me up a club. My dad was having trouble getting his driver airborne, so I practically begged him to try the 9064ls in 10.5 that I was launching too high and replaced with a 9.5 model (laser beams). He refused at first, saying a stiff shaft was too much, but once he did he never looked back. Gonna bury him with that club.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

First. A Nickent 3 hybrid. Bought new when they were hot on tour a loooong time ago.  It's my go to club

Second.A Nickent Pipe PP-001 Putter.  Also purchased new way back in the day.  My chops are busted on a regular basis but 8 ft and in it's almost on autopilot.

Third.  And the most Important. The sand wedge from my first set.  Hand me down Maxfi D26-MS blades from my father.  Maybe from the mid to late 60's.  The SW was retained by my Grandfather.  He didn't even pass it to my father.  (Kept it in the bag with his Staff Dynapowers).  I only received it on his passing.  Finally one year, I decided to flatten the face by hand, regrooved and repainted it and replaced the shaft and use it now.  

photo-ver1.jpg

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is by far the Cobra F7 3/4 wood with a hzrdus red shaft. It just works. Every. Single. Swing. I've contemplated using it as a putter it's so damn good at everything I ask of it.

I bought it used for $80. I'm convinced I bought it from a witch doctor who voodooed it for his own game and now I'm reaping the benefits.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

1. I had a set of Titleist 670's in high school that I absolutely loved. I felt like I would never miss the green with the short irons and i've never had more confidence in a club than that 9-iron. They were the only set of irons that lasted me long enough to develop wear spots on the groves. Ended up getting rid of them after a couple years because they were a little too short after I stopped growing and I needed a little more forgiveness in the long irons. Getting rid of them is hands-down my biggest equipment related regret in golf. My current gamers, Wilson FG-62s, are close but just not the same.

2. Ping G2 5wood. This thing was a beast for me when I was growing up. To this day it is the only 5 wood I've ever used because nothing else can compare to it. I switched out the stock shaft for a Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue when first needed a stiff flex and even though it was never the same it was still a beast of a club for me. Eventually the shaft snapped and I had to re-shaft it a second time. After that it never worked for me and I gave it to my brother. That was probably 8 years ago and it still hasn't left his bag.

3. Only Holy Grail club still in play is my Ping WRX Isoforce Anser F putter. I learned my lesson with the 670s and will never get rid of this baby. It has gone in and out of my bag over the years but i always go back to it. It was my first real putter when i got it for Christmas in 2006 so it's pretty special to me. I wanted it so badly at the time because Chris DiMarco was my favorite player and it's what he was gaming at the time. 

Haven't been playing long enough to have holy grails of clubs but hoping to make my current set be the holy grail but I have built 2 complete bags for my dad and my brother from my journey with golf clubs.

Callaway XR 16 (10)
TaylorMade RBZ-2 3W (15)
TaylorMade RBZ-2 T5W (18.5)
Ping iE1 (4-W)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
Callaway MD2 (56/60)
Evnroll ER3

No such club exists in my bag, I once fell in love with the Nike cover tour 3 wood, but sadly I sold it. Everything in my bag can swapped at a moment's notice.

Andrew - Lexington, KY

Handicap: 12

Righty

Driver:  Taylormade M1 2017 Project X HZRDUS Black 70 x-stiff

4 Wood:  Callaway Rogue Project X HZRDUS Yellow 85 x-stiff

Hybrids:  Titleist 816 h1 21* Diamana D+ White 90hy

Irons: Srixon Z 565 4i, Z 765 5-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges:  Callaway MD3 50* & 54*, PM Grind 58* Project X 6.0

Putter:  Callaway O-Works Two Ball 34"

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft X

Bag:   Ping Hoofer 14

I don't have holy grail driving irons, numbered irons, or wedges because those can be bent and/or machined to serve the idiot trying to swing them.

I don't have a holy grail driver, because my strongest fairway wood--one that I can't play from the deck-- is my driver.

I don't have a holy grail putter because the first good putter has yet to be designed.

But fairway woods?  They've had a quarter-century to improve on Titleist PTs and I'm still waiting.

Sure, technology has flown by the persimmon wood shaped PTs.   But setup at address hasn't even come close.

No such club exists in my bag, I once fell in love with the Nike cover tour 3 wood, but sadly I sold it. Everything in my bag can swapped at a moment's notice.

Never sell a golf club.  Your ass is always susceptible to being bitten like that.

I've got every golf club that I've ever owned since the early sixties.

Going to go with my Cobra F8 fairway wood and my Titleist 818 h2 hybrid.

The fairway wood is the first fairway wood I've ever been consistent with off the deck. Just an absolute bomber.

The H2 hybrid is the first hybrid that I don't worry about the lefts with. I can carry it 215 with a baby fade or almost 230 with a nice little draw. Just such a perfect club for me

Going to go with my Cobra F8 fairway wood and my Titleist 818 h2 hybrid.

The fairway wood is the first fairway wood I've ever been consistent with off the deck. Just an absolute bomber.

The H2 hybrid is the first hybrid that I don't worry about the lefts with. I can carry it 215 with a baby fade or almost 230 with a nice little draw. Just such a perfect club for me

Since you play a hybrid, jlukes, i assume you mean the stronger of the two adjustable F8s.

They do look very playable in appearance.  The website doesn't give lie angles, though, so I wonder if they're too upright for me.  Many modern fairway woods are.

Since you play a hybrid, jlukes, i assume you mean the stronger of the two adjustable F8s.

They do look very playable in appearance. The website doesn't give lie angles, though, so I wonder if they're too upright for me. Many modern fairway woods are.

Negative.

I play the shallower faced standard F8 fairway wood. It's the 3-4 wood at 15.5 degrees of loft

Negative.

I play the shallower faced standard F8 fairway wood. It's the 3-4 wood at 15.5 degrees of loft

Positive!

The 3-4 wood is the stronger one.  There's a 4-5 model, too, which you skip in favor of a hybrid.

I wasn't talking about the shallower vs. deeper model, but I should have been more specific.

Positive!

The 3-4 wood is the stronger one. There's a 4-5 model, too, which you skip in favor of a hybrid.

I wasn't talking about the shallower vs. deeper model, but I should have been more specific.

Incorrect.

There's a 3/4 fairway and a 5/6 fairway

The f8+ 3/4 is stronger than the f8 fairway

Incorrect.

I concur....I have the F8 3-4 wood dialed to 16 degrees easy to hit and as long as 13 degree for me

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Incorrect.

That's true on the shallower face version which you have--but my original assertion that you have the stronger model, regardless of whether it's the deeper or shallower faced version, is completely correct.

All that I wanted was a comment on the lie angles. 

It's just a quirk. You and I communicate badly for whatever reason. No biggie.

That's true on the shallower face version which you have--but my original assertion that you have the stronger model, regardless of whether it's the deeper or shallower faced version, is completely correct.

All that I wanted was a comment on the lie angles.

It's just a quirk. You and I communicate badly for whatever reason. No biggie.

But the f8+ IS the stronger lofted model.

The standard F8 3/4 is adjustable from 13 to 16

The standard F8 does not have a 4/5 model

The standard F8 5/6 is adjustable from 17 to 20

The standard F8 7/8 is adjustable from 21 to 24

The f8+ 3/4 is adjustable from 12 to 15

The f8+ does have a 4/5 model that is adjustable from 16 to 19

The f8+ does not have a 5/6 model

Got it, jlukes.

I really like how the shallower faced model that you have looks.

I just wish that the website listed the lie angles.

I like quarter-century-old Titleist PTs because most of the modern models are too upright for me.

Wishon and Henry-Griffitts fairway metals have bendable hosels, but I don't see where either of those would knock classic PTs out of my bag.

When I first got to where I could finally hit the ball and my parents gave me the ok to get my own set I got a set of Wilson staff fat shaft 2 irons in 3-pw from a close friend of our family. Those clubs were and still are some of my favorite irons. I eventually went to new sets but I still pull them out and hit shots with them whenever I get out of sorts or need a change of pace.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Got it, jlukes.

I really like how the shallower faced model that you have looks.

I just wish that the website listed the lie angles.

I like quarter-century-old Titleist PTs because most of the modern models are too upright for me.

Wishon and Henry-Griffitts fairway metals have bendable hosels, but I don't see where either of those would knock classic PTs out of my bag.

F8 3/4 fairway is 58.75

Comparatively the TaylorMade M4 is 60

The callaway Rogue is a bit flatter at 57.5

Titleist is even flatter at 56.5 and has the hosel adjustability to go even flatter

Maxfli Revolution Black Dot — TT DG S300 — off the rack

I still have them. In fact, I played a round with them last month and shot 76.

They are about 0.5-1.0" too short but for some reason they suit my eye perfectly. I keep thinking about reshafting them but never get around to it. I will never sell them—far too much history.

Still really looking for the magic combo at the top of the bag. I hear so much about the new Cobra woods they are obviously worth a shot. Unlike PlaidJacket, I really like the Wishon 9191THI. The one I am currently gaming was an off-the-rack loner from my fitter. I worried 11* was too much loft but I can still bomb it. Crazy forgiving actually.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

My TM R7 with a Fuji Speeder in it. I played that thing for about three years until I cracked the face and was never able to find one that was the same. Second place for me would be my Ping S59 Tours that were in the bag from the day they were released until the groove rule changed and I had to swap them out.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Archived