TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping i210 & i500 first impressions

Thin2win

Both these offerings are legit. I spent lots of time with both and can't decide which one I like better

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^exactly.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Both these offerings are legit. I spent lots of time with both and can't decide which one I like better

Simple answer.....buy both

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Simple answer.....buy both

Always an option

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Yeah that's a little old school thinking but still somewhat relevant in that maybe going 1000 less is still probably going to work. Something imo to look at these days is the launch angle, peak height and descent angle. Getting those in the right optimal ranges should help “compensate” for the lower spin

Since the lofts of irons vary so much someone smarter than me needs to come up with a formula for spin rate and degrees of loft on the club.  Then it would be much easier to compare clubs even if they have different lofts.  If a blade 7 iron is 35 degrees and spins at 7000 then if another set of irons with a 8 iron of 35 degrees should spin around 7000.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Since the lofts of irons vary so much someone smarter than me needs to come up with a formula for spin rate and degrees of loft on the club. Then it would be much easier to compare clubs even if they have different lofts. If a blade 7 iron is 35 degrees and spins at 7000 then if another set of irons with a 8 iron of 35 degrees should spin around 7000.

In theory I think you're right. I don't get to caught up in what the club says on the bottom, they are all over the place. I use the loft as my judge.

Soon we will have a 22° 7 iron.

There are other characteristics that influence spin and launch.

But I chuckle when the claims are longer... of course your 28° 7 iron goes far. That's a 5 iron.

. I use the loft as my judge.

I think distance is a better judge. Pick clubs that allow you to set proper gapping. Listened to a TXG video last night and they Made a point that If you only hit driver 200 yards then 14 clubs may be too many. In my C300 testing I was getting more distance than clubs with lower loft. There is really a lot that goes into figuring out what clubs should be in your bag.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I hit both the i210 and i500 the other day. The i500 went high and straight. It just took off straight up into the air. I definitely didn't get a “soft forged” feel at all though. It felt like a smaller g700. I wasn't as impressed with i210. For me it was just kind of there. In that category, and for a better deal, I think that there are better feeling irons out there.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Since the lofts of irons vary so much someone smarter than me needs to come up with a formula for spin rate and degrees of loft on the club. Then it would be much easier to compare clubs even if they have different lofts. If a blade 7 iron is 35 degrees and spins at 7000 then if another set of irons with a 8 iron of 35 degrees should spin around 7000.

Something like that would be nice. Spin is also dependent on person to with how they deliver the club, but I would think within a few hundred rpm av36* would soin the same regardless of the number stamped.

In theory I think you're right. I don't get to caught up in what the club says on the bottom, they are all over the place. I use the loft as my judge.

Soon we will have a 22° 7 iron.

There are other characteristics that influence spin and launch.

But I chuckle when the claims are longer... of course your 28° 7 iron goes far. That's a 5 iron.

Right, you can't get caught up on the number on the bottom but I don't think loft covers the whole story.

All that really matters is your gapping, distance, and how it is going to react when it hits the green. If I need two 7 irons of different models but still the same loft to gap my bag, I will do that. If I have a blade 7 iron at 35* and a ultra game improvement 7 iron at 35*, the ultra game improvement will launch higher, spin less, and go farther. Thus it will be the same loft but act more like a 6 iron.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Right, you can't get caught up on the number on the bottom but I don't think loft covers the whole story.

All that really matters is your gapping, distance, and how it is going to react when it hits the green. If I need two 7 irons of different models but still the same loft to gap my bag, I will do that. If I have a blade 7 iron at 35* and a ultra game improvement 7 iron at 35*, the ultra game improvement will launch higher, spin less, and go farther. Thus it will be the same loft but act more like a 6 iron.

Yup, spot on, there is a huge amount that goes into this, so no two clubs are comparable based purely off paper.

Shaft dynamics will affect the dynamic loft as you deliver the club to the ball, so two identical heads with different shafts will give different launch, spin and distance results.

Head design has a huge effect, where is the weight located in the head? GI irons have very low weight and will generally launch higher but with less spin, musclebacks will launch lower with more spin and often need more speed to get the same distance.

Loft creates both launch and spin, but the head type and shaft type are both critical factors too. The only way to gap is to get fitted to a set that works for you and then get that gapped properly.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

That 11* G700 driving iron would be my go-to punch out/wind cheater/stinger club! 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Tested the G700 at a demo day and when making contact it was like the ball wasn't even there, it just exploded off the face and was long! A lot of fun.

Currently playing a used set of Titleist 716 TMB - love the look in the bag and behind the ball, the feel is outstanding and great ball flight; but not forgiving at all.

I'd like to test i500 FOR SURE! Looks like they'd match what I love about the TMB with more forgiveness. 

Tim - NJ - Right Handed - 17HC

In the OGIO Grom:

• Ping G400 LST Driver (tour stiff)
  • Ping G400 3 Wood (tour stiff)
  • Titelist 816 4-Hybrid
  • 5-W Titelist C-16 (stiff)
  • Miura K Grind 52, 56, 60
  • Toulon Strokelab Austin
  • Snell MTB
  • OrangeWhip 
  • Jerky
  • Bulleit Bourbon

Had a hit with an I500 7 iron today and oh my goodness it was AWESOME!!

The feel was fantastic, not butter soft but still gave me shivers of delight.😍

The flight was high but very penetrating and they were very easy to shape.

The distance, oh my the distance 😳

I'm not saying I'm in love but I have a serious crush happening 😊

If these come up for testing I will be all over it!!

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Yep, I said the same thing earlier, it must have been in a different thread, as I don't see it in my last post. But that definitely plays into it as well, those are things, I've gathered from Ian at TXG as well as listening to several interviews with Marty Jertson of PING, one of their lead R&D guys, who just happened to recently qualify for the PGA Championship.

I appreciate the ongoing dialogue about this concern and an answer to my question. I'm still not totally satisfied though because no one has addressed the GI thing.

We've essentially got 4 categories out there.

1. Blades - they still perform fairly similar to always and the 1,000 per loft works as a standard.

2. GI - good amount of improvement, high launch but reasonable spin 1,000 below the old standard for spin coupled with higher launch and steeper descent brings reasonable stopping power. So my 7 iron at 5,500 works out okay because it's really a 6 iron and I've always been a low spin player (except with my wedges)

3. SGI - jacked lofts, low spin, high launch - needs soft greens to stop.

4. Players non-blades - Slightly jacked launch, high launch, steep descent to counter act less spin - i get it but still the clubs in this category are the ones that are standing out for me.

I should fit into this category but don't. At least it's making sense as to why my former irons were ricochetting off the firm greens at my course like they were landing on concrete.

In the end looks seem to be the benefit in this group. In fact since they spin less than irons in the GI category wouldn't they be more difficult to work? More spin equals greater workability or am I missing something? Looks trump performance or there's something different in the type of spin, like gear effect, that stops the ball from curving when you dial about some curve?

I'd like to know more if possible. Thanks

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I appreciate the ongoing dialogue about this concern and an answer to my question. I'm still not totally satisfied though because no one has addressed the GI thing.

We've essentially got 4 categories out there.

1. Blades - they still perform fairly similar to always and the 1,000 per loft works as a standard.

2. GI - good amount of improvement, high launch but reasonable spin 1,000 below the old standard for spin coupled with higher launch and steeper descent brings reasonable stopping power. So my 7 iron at 5,500 works out okay because it's really a 6 iron and I've always been a low spin player (except with my wedges)

3. SGI - jacked lofts, low spin, high launch - needs soft greens to stop.

4. Players non-blades - Slightly jacked launch, high launch, steep descent to counter act less spin - i get it but still the clubs in this category are the ones that are standing out for me.

I should fit into this category but don't. At least it's making sense as to why my former irons were ricochetting off the firm greens at my course like they were landing on concrete.

In the end looks seem to be the benefit in this group. In fact since they spin less than irons in the GI category wouldn't they be more difficult to work? More spin equals greater workability or am I missing something? Looks trump performance or there's something different in the type of spin, like gear effect, that stops the ball from curving when you dial about some curve?

I'd like to know more if possible. Thanks

Good synopsis in the categories. I don't have any numbers for my p790 fitttng as I didn't want to know them to avoid affecting my swing...only requirement I gave to the Tm rep was that they had the stopping power needs to hold greens.

After 7 rounds or so with them now I have no issue holding greens and get very little roll out. Usually it's the ball stopping next to pitch mark with 7-p or maybe some side release for 1-2'. 4-6 i see about 2-3' of rollout max and several times had these sit in it next to pitch mark even on some thin shots

I spent a good amount of time with both i210 and i500 the other day and was using the dg 105 and Nippon 105 shaft and was getting a really high peak height but was still seeing the ball not fall out of the sky and what appeared to be the ball just sitting down once it landed. Talking to my normal fitter who gave me the dg105 to test with we thibk those two shafts are causing too much spin. We are going to get together sometime next week to dial them in.

I think looks play a key role and I have had no issue working the ball up/down or left/right wit the 790 and left/right with the pings.

Imo I don't believe they spin a lot less than the gi and iirc another person I know was seeing roughly that 1000 less than the blade ironx1000 formula

I appreciate your response Rickybobby and am glad you don't have problems holding the green with your irons.

The general data however is pretty clear that the middle irons in the sub blade category do not spin as well as those in the blade or GI category. Proof is in the fact that R and D engineers are talking about it.

I suspect that it's because of what they've done to increase distance. But I truly would like to learn more, generally, not from a specific person. I don't know the course conditions that a specific person plays in, without numbers he may honestly believe he's spinning the ball well when all the while he's playing in softer conditions than normal. The greens that I play on are firm in Florida in the summer and very firm the rest of the year. Our pros, including a mini tour guy, have to allow for run out with their middle irons. Spin matters a lot around the greens at my course, no doubt that's why I didn't fare well in the two piece ball challenge.

For now I'm happy that guys like this category of irons, I'm happy to have gamed a couple of irons in the category and now know even better why they aren't the best choice for my game.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I really should go demo these sooner rather then later. Anyone here played or used the i e1 irons to compare?

They are my current set and I love them, but would love any insight!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I was also able to hit both of them yesterday at a pro shop near me.  I saw similar things in that the i500's were very long!  The ball fight was very high!  I wasn't using a launch monitor, but I could tell that they didn't seem to have the spin that I'm used to with irons.  I was shocked at the sole width of the i500's.  I was a little nervous about hitting these because I felt like they were closer to a blade.  The forgiveness of these irons are great!  I mishit a few of them and they didn't seem to lose much distance at all.  It was playing like a game improvement iron almost in forgiveness.  I loved how the sound was corrected from the G700's.  

Side note: I did hear that Ping didn't want to fill the irons because they didn't want anything interfering with the flex face.  If the irons were filled then the flex face wouldn't work as well.

The i210's felt much softer than I remember the i200's.  They felt like a forged iron even though they weren't.  With the i200's, I remember being able to tell they were cast.  Loved the ball flight and the spin off of them.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I was also able to hit both of them yesterday at a pro shop near me. I saw similar things in that the i500's were very long! The ball fight was very high! I wasn't using a launch monitor, but I could tell that they didn't seem to have the spin that I'm used to with irons. I was shocked at the sole width of the i500's. I was a little nervous about hitting these because I felt like they were closer to a blade. The forgiveness of these irons are great! I mishit a few of them and they didn't seem to lose much distance at all. It was playing like a game improvement iron almost in forgiveness. I loved how the sound was corrected from the G700's.

Side note: I did hear that Ping didn't want to fill the irons because they didn't want anything interfering with the flex face. If the irons were filled then the flex face wouldn't work as well.

The i210's felt much softer than I remember the i200's. They felt like a forged iron even though they weren't. With the i200's, I remember being able to tell they were cast. Loved the ball flight and the spin off of them.

I tried a few different shafts in the i500's today. What a difference in feel they make. I have watched /read the txg thread about how the clubhead is the deciding factor and then finding a shaft to fine tune is the path to go. The discussion was about drivers, I am not so sure that it is correct on an iron set.

I loved the i500's, i200's and i210's with the Modus 105, switching to the cfs distance and they all felt clicky, trying dg 100's and feel as well as launch numbers became rancid.

Then I tried a AP2 with the Modus vs the DG shafts, same. I think I just love the Modus shaft. With iron heads so similar the shaft makes it breaks them for me.

Just my experience.

Still, on topic, madly in love with the i500's. I swore to wife that the i200's last year were my 7 year clubs.... I wish ping had a good trade in program so I could pretend to justify this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I tried a few different shafts in the i500's today. What a difference in feel they make. I have watched /read the txg thread about how the clubhead is the deciding factor and then finding a shaft to fine tune is the path to go. The discussion was about drivers, I am not so sure that it is correct on an iron set.

I loved the i500's, i200's and i210's with the Modus 105, switching to the cfs distance and they all felt clicky, trying dg 100's and feel as well as launch numbers became rancid.

Then I tried a AP2 with the Modus vs the DG shafts, same. I think I just love the Modus shaft. With iron heads so similar the shaft makes it breaks them for me.

Just my experience.

Still, on topic, madly in love with the i500's. I swore to wife that the i200's last year were my 7 year clubs.... I wish ping had a good trade in program so I could pretend to justify this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If you want to see how good these can really feel, try using a graphite shaft.  I used the DG X100 for my actual test, which is the same shaft I have in my Srixon Z545's.  The for fun we put in a graphite shaft, and it was like butter!  Just don't look at the price tag if you wanted to add a steel fiber shaft in it. :) 

Little side note: I'm with you that I don't think finding the right iron head then the shaft is the right way to go for irons.  I don't even really do that for drivers.  I normally test all of the clubs with similar shafts just to get an idea to get my top 3.  From there, I go through the fitting process such as the Mizuno shaft optimizer, and put that shaft into my top 3 choices.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Finally got to try the i210s and i500s today. Threw in the g700s for good measure. Tested the 7 irons against my current 6 iron (588 CB) due to lofts.

What I noticed first was that the feel among all of them varied, but the i500 felt way more clunky than what I was expecting. Someone already said that it was a g700 with a smaller head and I'd have to agree.

The i210s felt better, and were the only ones out of the Pings that I was able to shape as well as my current club.

Here's my shot dispersion and numbers for those interested. I like that the shot dispersion looks like an upside down John Bonham symbol from Led Zeppelin. I'm going to include backspin in the comment because I thought it was the most interesting difference considering the balls were not being hit all that different.

Blue: 588 CB (5038 rpm)

Pink: G700 (4726 rpm)

Red: i500 (4228 rpm)

Orange: i210 (3815 rpm)

Based on these differences, I think I'll wait till those new JPXs come out. IMG_20180720_191101.jpegIMG_20180720_191309.jpegIMG_20180720_191316.jpeg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

Finally got to try the i210s and i500s today. Threw in the g700s for good measure. Tested the 7 irons against my current 6 iron (588 CB) due to lofts.

What I noticed first was that the feel among all of them varied, but the i500 felt way more clunky than what I was expecting. Someone already said that it was a g700 with a smaller head and I'd have to agree.

The i210s felt better, and were the only ones out of the Pings that I was able to shape as well as my current club.

Here's my shot dispersion and numbers for those interested. I like that the shot dispersion looks like an upside down John Bonham symbol from Led Zeppelin. I'm going to include backspin in the comment because I thought it was the most interesting difference considering the balls were not being hit all that different.

Blue: 588 CB (5038 rpm)

Pink: G700 (4726 rpm)

Red: i500 (4228 rpm)

Orange: i210 (3815 rpm)

Based on these differences, I think I'll wait till those new JPXs come out. IMG_20180720_191101.jpeg IMG_20180720_191309.jpeg IMG_20180720_191316.jpeg

What shaft were you using in i210? You had some blatantly bad misses with it....did you hit it last and getting tired? I'd go back and try again leaving out i500 and g700 hit just 588cb and i210....we have similar speeds and the i210 adds so much without losing anything. JMHO

What shaft were you using in i210? You had some blatantly bad misses with it....did you hit it last and getting tired? I'd go back and try again leaving out i500 and g700 hit just 588cb and i210....we have similar speeds and the i210 adds so much without losing anything. JMHO

All shafts were dynamic gold stiff. And I hit the i210s first so maybe I was still warming up.

Heading back is not a bad idea, the only problem then is if the i210s are better, are they $1000 better? But I'll let future me deal with that.

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

In the last pic the irons are from left to right i210, i500, p790

0EFA4FDF-B682-4D05-8368-9BEF4D3297B9.jpeg

454AA35E-6AAC-45A9-8456-9F14E9553CED.jpeg

9122EC69-2D5A-4755-AF39-D1F90FD7F3D2.jpeg

In the last pic the irons are from left to right i210, i500, p790

More demo time with them today. I know the weather was horrible. What's the current thought.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

More demo time with them today. I know the weather was horrible. What's the current thought.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Imo i210 softer feel than i500 and best feeling Ping iron since i20. Pretty forging and distance wise without being on a monitor I would say within 5-7 yards of the i500 and p790

i500 imo doesn't have the harsh feel or sound some have mentioned, not as soft as the p790 but not far off. Distance with the i500 and p790 is very close and I prefer the look of the i500 over p790

Will be getting with Brandon hopefully this coming week to dial in and see which route I go. Kinda leaving i500 but being an i20 guy the i210 is calling. Tried Nippon 105, dg 105, kbs tour and dg120 in both heads and I like the dg120 setup the best

I bot the i500 today after hitting a bunch o clubs, but only buying the 8-9-w.  I am creating a split set of irons, a sharper narrower sole short group of 3 "scoring" clubs to go with my 2016 model (their last ever) Nike Vapor Fly irons on Recoil reg flex F3 shafts. 

I don't have a index yet.  Skill level is modest, trying to catch up at age 63 after 20 yrs no golf on the "Bad elbow" injury list.  Have a very good instructor and a new legit swing.  OK, so, I thought I would get either Miz SC18 or JPX 900 Tour or Forged, or Callaway Apex or Apex Pro.  Maybe Cobra Tec Forged.  Also tried some TM and Titles.  Shopping for just the 8-9-w is obviously different than a full set.  I hit the Apexs nice.  I had some issues with others due to I am a midsize grip, and spent an hour today hitting only many different regular size grips and some were doable, some were too difficult to make a legit comparison.  The fitter said the results with the i500 were best. By a good margin.  I say, nice to hit too.  Oh, I was hitting the 7 iron, not even getting to hit the 8 or 9 iron since fitters don't have them in a fittings. 

I like my Nikes a lot.  I love my Recoil shafts.  I would play old Macgregor or Spalding or Wilson gooses if I could put on Recoils.

I look forward to posting again in 2 months after I have some play.  In my whole life I almost never have bot anything that was the newest latest model.  I am skeptical or worse about most advertising.  I bot Pings when I went looking for classic forged brands???  Huh???  BTW I highly recommend reading the bio "Karsten's Way", a very good book on the history of his inventions and the MASSIVE impact on all of golf.  Certainly include the i500 in your shopping or fitting list.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Great point and my main concern building a mixed set.  Would you go 1/2 club strong in the 7 to get the proper gap to a 6?  

I'd have to hit the clubs and figure it out from there.  My driver SS is only 95 mph so I'd probably hit the i500 7 iron 160 at best.  If I hit the i210 7 iron 150 I'd probably just slot it in there without adjustment.  I'd say my most likely set would be:

D-3-5 

2 hybrids

6-7 i500

7-PW i210

2 wedges and a putter. 

Randy from Fried Eggs Golf strikes again! This may sum up some of the observations thus far out there...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Archived