Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping i210 & i500 first impressions

Thin2win

OK, first off this is kind of embarrassing. I am not a loud talking braggart but jeez, this qualifies as a story to share with other golf addicted individuals. 

As an update to my i210's "get yours yet" thread I submit the following: 

Update: I've been playing the i210's now for a week and have played several rounds on different course layouts and conditions. The i210's have been stellar. I don't know if this is just a honeymoon period or, if they really are that good. 

Yesterday I played a very tight par 70 mountain course with big elevation changes and many blind second shots. I was hitting the driver the best I have in years and had many wedges or short irons into the green from the blue tees (approx 6K yds). My best score on this course had been 74 (I'm a six index) and I shot a 5 under 30 (3 consecutive birdies and an eagle) on the back nine with a couple of missed under 10' birdie putts. Combined with a one over 36 on the front I shot a 4 under 66 which is one less than my age! I haven't shot in the 60's since my college playing days back in the 70's and never went that low then, so to say this round came as a surprise is a huge understatement. 

Did the i210's have anything to do with it? I can say that I love the look/feel of them and I was very confident over the ball. The fast pace of play helped (played in 3.5 hours) but it was the best round of my life and suffice to say, the i210's have earned a spot in my bag ... ;-)

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself ... 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great update! Keep 'em low out there!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Congrats on the great round. Do keep us posted on future rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Wow! Great round!

Glad you're digging the i210's

My buddy has the i200's and he loves them.

He has the “hot” set, which I think means they're a little strong on their lofts.

Any idea if your set is the “hot” ones, or more traditional.

Example, I his his 5 iron 20 yards further than I hit my AP2 5 iron.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Brilliant round, it's awesome when new clubs just seem to click.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Great to hear about the new sticks! Nothing better than puring brand new irons! I had a similar experience with my iBlades. Came in a day before I left to play Sawgrass. Had only hit them on the range for a half hour and ended up having the best ball striking day of my life on probably the hardest course I've played. Best. Feeling. Ever.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max / Fujikura Motore Speeder X-Stiff

Irons:  :ping-small: iBlade 3-PW / DG X100 Soft Stepped once

Wedges:  :vokey-small:  Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60 / DG S400

Putter:  :scotty-small: 2018 Newport 2

Ball:  :titelist-small: AVX

I thought the 500s were the way to go until I hit them and realized I had it all wrong... The 210s fit my game better. The 500s were straight but had inconsistent yardages where I was carrying a 7 iron 183 to 196. They were all 5 yards from the center line but that wide of range for the carry isn't what I'm looking for. The 210s were producing higher shots, but the carry yardage gap was only a handful ranging from 179-182. You can't beat that consistency.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Still waiting for my i500 4 and 5 iron to show up. There was a ordering glitch, and the wait is killing me, like, I am a week closer to death than I was a week ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

• 2 weeks later...

I love the look of the 500, but I don't think it fits my game profile.

Now that 210 is right in my wheel house... Even though it's not quite as pretty as the 500.

I love where Ping has been heading the past couple of years.... Even after losing a few folks to PXG.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Now that 210 is right in my wheel house... Even though it's not quite as pretty as the 500.

I love where Ping has been heading the past couple of years.... Even after losing a few folks to PXG.

What about the I500 do you think doesn't fit your swing profile compared to the i210?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Seeing them both in person, the i500 is a bit clunky to me. I haven't hit it, but I imagine a little bit of a click, and less solid strike that more of a blade like iron would give me. I like a smaller more compact head in an iron. Plus I played the S55'S, and the 210 has the "S55 had a baby with the 200" look and I like it.

What about the I500 do you think doesn't fit your swing profile compared to the i210?

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Seeing them both in person, the i500 is a bit clunky to me. I haven't hit it, but I imagine a little bit of a click, and less solid strike that more of a blade like iron would give me. I like a smaller more compact head in an iron. Plus I played the S55'S, and the 210 has the "S55 had a baby with the 200" look and I like it. Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Imo the size difference betweeen i210 and the I500. Also iirc you have ap3 in your mid/long irons and the i500 are basically that same type of iron. In my time with the I500 they aren't clicky and also have better sound and feel than the ap3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I500 is definitely a tad more bulky than the AP3. As I said, I haven't hit it. I was just going with what I thought from holding it in my hand and comparing them side by side. I like the smaller profile heads. I'm not saying the i500 is bad. I'm just saying how I feel it may work for me... And why I would go with the 210 for testing of I were somehow chosen. I'm glad you like what you have. That's a big hurdle if you didn't.

Imo the size difference betweeen i210 and the I500. Also iirc you have ap3 in your mid/long irons and the i500 are basically that same type of iron. In my time with the I500 they aren't clicky and also have better sound and feel than the ap3

I agree but I have the I200 in the bag right now and don't think there is much difference between the I200 and I210...if Ping was going downhill then i would say losing those guys to PXG would have been rough but honestly they are doing better now then before...maybe it opened up some positions for some real hungry designers and engineers. I love where they are headed and am interested in the I500 not only for looks but for the distance...i am a high spin player so they might be perfect for me!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Yeah I think whatever it did for Ping, it's working out well. And i agree, no reason to move from the i200. I'm sure the i500 gives more length for folks. But length isn't what I'm chasing thankfully. I hit a lot of 4 irons and 3 woods off of tees as it is with my current setup. But hey, if they give you or any other guy what is being searched for... Put em in the bag!

I agree but I have the I200 in the bag right now and don't think there is much difference between the I200 and I210...if Ping was going downhill then i would say losing those guys to PXG would have been rough but honestly they are doing better now then before...maybe it opened up some positions for some real hungry designers and engineers. I love where they are headed and am interested in the I500 not only for looks but for the distance...i am a high spin player so they might be perfect for me!

The i500 4 and 5 iron I order just arrived. So I'll be using them to replace my i200 4&5. I love the 200's, but my gaping at 4-6 has airways been suspect. Really hoping to add a few yards to those two clubs in the bag.

Will let you know tomorrow how it played out with some launch monitor numbers

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

So, quick recap. I ordered the i500 4&5i in retro loft to replace my i200 4&5i. I have really liked the i200s but I felt that my gaping from 6-4 was off. I just didn't feel like my 5 had any more in it than my 6.

The i500's arrived so today I went out to the local DSG's to use their launch monitor to compare.

Well, turns out I was right, and thankfully right.

My i200 6i was hitting a carry of 175 on average, my i200 5i was 177 and my 4i was 180.... Ouch. But I felt like that was going to be the case, course experience s telling me that there wasn't a big carry difference and any actual distance was on the roll out.

Well, here are the launch numbers for the i500's. These were my first songs with the new clubs. I hit 6, deleted the worst. And these were the remaining 5 shots.

I500 5i, 187 carry, more peak height and steeper decent angle. Instant 10 yards.

20180826_113601.jpeg

i500 4i, 203 carry. 10 feet higher ball flight and 10 degree steeper decent. 20y longer carry than my i200. (note it says g25, but that is a lie, it's my i200)

20180826_113532.jpeg

It is so much more carry that the 4i equals my current 3 hybrid but comes in higher and is less hook prone.

And as some have asked about size and top line, here are some other pictures. It is wasn't for the i200 having the club indicator stamped on the face, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart at address.

20180826_103521.jpeg

20180826_103449.jpeg

20180826_103410.jpeg

20180826_103333.jpeg

20180826_103521.jpeg

WITB:

Last set of Ping irons that I owned were the i20's. Great set, but gained distance with CF16's. These might be the first sets that intrigue me. I have a buddy that has the i200's, which I've hit a few times, but with them being slightly longer it's hard to get a good gauge on things. Nothing has been able to beat out my CF16's, but both of these sets look fantastic, and early reviews are intriguing too.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

So, quick recap. I ordered the i500 4&5i in retro loft to replace my i200 4&5i. I have really liked the i200s but I felt that my gaping from 6-4 was off. I just didn't feel like my 5 had any more in it than my 6.

The i500's arrived so today I went out to the local DSG's to use their launch monitor to compare.

My i200 6i was hitting a carry of 175 on average, my i200 5i was 177 and my 4i was 180.... Ouch. But I felt like that was going to be the case, course experience s telling me that there wasn't a big carry difference and any actual distance was on the roll out.

Well, here are the launch numbers for the i500's. These were my first songs with the new clubs. I hit 6, deleted the worst. And these were the remaining 5 shots.

I500 5i, 187 carry, more peak height and steeper decent angle. Instant 10 yards.

attachicon.gif 20180826_113601.jpg

i500 4i, 203 carry. 10 feet higher ball flight and 10 degree steeper decent. 20y longer carry than my i200. (note it says g25, but that is a lie, it's my i200)

attachicon.gif 20180826_113532.jpeg

It is so much more carry that the 4i equals my current 3 hybrid but comes in higher and is less hook prone.

And as some have asked about size and top line, here are some other pictures. It is wasn't for the i200 having the club indicator stamped on the face, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart at address.

attachicon.gif 20180826_103521.jpeg

attachicon.gif 20180826_103449.jpeg

attachicon.gif 20180826_103410.jpeg

attachicon.gif 20180826_103333.jpeg

Oh man I knew it you were right looks like I have to order some now. You did go retro loft right to match up the set....what shaft do you have in i200 and now in i500

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

20180826_113601.jpg

20180826_113532.jpeg

20180826_103521.jpeg

20180826_103449.jpeg

20180826_103410.jpeg

20180826_103333.jpeg

Do you have any idea why you could generate more Clubhead speed? The I200's launch conditions seemed right, I just don't understand why you couldn't generate the club speed needed?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

At first glance the i500 looks like butter, smooth and silky. I'm loving the clean design and the hollow body technology has me very intrigued. So pretty 🤤

#PowerToThePlayer

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I love the I500 look but I watched tons of reviews and for me and my game they would be good in the long irons but I would most likely lose accuracy in my short irons

Bryson DeChambeau

Oh man I knew it you were right looks like I have to order some now. You did go retro loft right to match up the set....what shaft do you have in i200 and now in i500

Yes, sent with the retro to try to keep the distance gap about right.

Using the nippon pro modus 105 in stiff. At lest until next spring and I try a graphite or steel fiber shaft...

WITB:

Do you have any idea why you could generate more Clubhead speed? The I200's launch conditions seemed right, I just don't understand why you couldn't generate the club speed needed?

So, I trust the ball data from the launch monitor. It all matches carry distances that I see in the course. But I don't trust the club data at all. If you notice, every smash factor is the same. Which, just isn't possible for me (or probably anyone over 10 shots). So I think it sees ball speed then calculates club speed based on that smash factor.

That said, I doubt that I had any real difference in club speed, just a noticeable difference in ball speed. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think 1.35 is realistic for me. So, just look at ball data. Those are the important numbers anyway.

WITB:

So, I trust the ball data from the launch monitor. It all matches carry distances that I see in the course. But I don't trust the club data at all. If you notice, every smash factor is the same. Which, just isn't possible for me (or probably anyone over 10 shots). So I think it sees ball speed then calculates club speed based on that smash factor.

That said, I doubt that I had any real difference in club speed, just a noticeable difference in ball speed. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think 1.35 is realistic for me. So, just look at ball data. Those are the important numbers anyway.

Ah, that makes sense. I thought the smash factor was strange. Thank you for clearing that up.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Whoa that 4 iron is money...club head speed is up and spin is up keeping the ball in the air longer equals greater distance. I too am wondering why the club head speed is up that's crazy. I knew ball speed should go up just with the hollow cavity design.

Bryson DeChambeau

Finally got to see these both in hand over the weekend, and I am super impressed off the bat. The looks of both models are really clean IMO. I like the styling that PING has gone with for these irons. I got a chance to hit a few shots with both as well and honestly want more! The feel of the i210 was very surprising and just felt "pure" to me. The i500 on the other hand just felt powerful, like the feeling of a well struck fw or something. Based on the first impressions, I definitely could see either in my bag. I think I would to i210 power spec, or i500 retrospec... either would be a fun set! Good job, PING. 

PING G400 LST  
Callaway 816 16*
Titleist TMB 3i DG AMT
Callaway Apex Pro Combo 4-PW w/PX 6.0
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Pro-V1x or Snell MTB

It's too bad I got a new set of irons last year. Otherwise I would love to see what the i500's could do.

I ended up going with the Ping G's. The thing I love most about them is the rounded topline. It gives the appearance of a thinner topline without losing the game improvement aspects. I noticed the i500's did the same thing. But they look much prettier.

Congrats to all who make the upgrade. I wish I could.

Okish golfer

attachicon.gif 20180826_113601.jpg

attachicon.gif 20180826_113532.jpeg

attachicon.gif 20180826_103521.jpeg

attachicon.gif 20180826_103449.jpeg

attachicon.gif 20180826_103410.jpeg

attachicon.gif 20180826_103333.jpeg

Thanks for posting all of this detail. I also struggle with gapping with my longer irons. Like you they all seem to go about the same difference. Maybe I need to try out a i500 5 and 6 iron!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Archived