TESTERS WANTED! ×

Maltby really upping their game...TS-1 Forged Hollow body Irons

deejaid

Said it before; I'll say it again - I really enjoyed the TS2 demo 7i that @Popeye64 built for me.  If I hadn't been picked for the D7 Forged testing, there's a good chance I'd be playing these clubs.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 12/24/2020 at 12:12 AM, Popeye64 said:

Cheap.... me willing to take the time and money to send you a demo club is cheap? Interesting.
I do not have any Modus 120 TX shafts at the shop. So that's out.

Good luck with the off-season.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Okay I ordered a modus 120TX 7i shaft with my other Nippon orders... I will give my honest feedback

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

Okay I ordered a modus 120TX 7i shaft with my other Nippon orders... I will give my honest feedback
I'll get home the 29th. I have some builds to sort out but should have a TS-1 7i head free.
If you actually want to try the head out I'll be happy to send it to you. If its6 just gonna be a big joke to you... well you already stated your agenda here loud and clear and we get it.... Let me know. Just send a PM.

2 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I'll get home the 29th. I have some builds to sort out but should have a TS-1 7i head free.
If you actually want to try the head out I'll be happy to send it to you. If its6 just gonna be a big joke to you... well you already stated your agenda here loud and clear and we get it.... Let me know. Just send a PM.

Hey it’s not a joke I’ll pm you

@Popeye64 you're a better man than most sir!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

I'm going to send@Manimal26 a TS-1 7I and a TSW 56. He will load up his shaft of choice and put them through their paces on a LM. He said he will even do some video work.
If he still thinks they are garbage then I'll gladly accept his opinion. He should get the heads the first of the year or so.
Should be fun and one rule on comments to his findings. Be respectful to him and constructive comments only please.

I am indeed... I will open another thread and I will tag anyone who has ever been for or against maltby... Please feel free to add anyone I miss... I will outline the entire processs their

While I love the spirit of what's happening here, why do I feel like this is the beginnings of some kind of turf war? Like the loser has to leave MGS forever..

Maltby gang VS the rest of the world kind of thing. I feel like we're pretty much set up to lose but we'll hopefully earn respect by putting up a hell of a fight..

Hopefully this can all be done in good fun, respect, and taste. And we can all get something positive out of this.

Screenshot_20201227-131623.jpeg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

While I love the spirit of what's happening here, why do I feel like this is the beginnings of some kind of turf war? Like the loser has to leave MGS forever..

Maltby gang VS the rest of the world kind of thing. I feel like we're pretty much set up to lose but we'll hopefully earn respect by putting up a hell of a fight..

Hopefully this can all be done in good fun, respect, and taste. And we can all get something positive out of this.

Screenshot_20201227-131623.jpeg.f81d951403942417df63612dd7729a7f.jpeg

I don't see it like that at all.
I do a ton of testing with Maltby and OEM heads alike. Mostly with TM gear. But also get heads sent to me for builds and I'll often test hit the builds. So I'm always looking for some stand out heads. I have a set of Hogan Players combos that saw a bag rotation for a while this year. My driver and 3w are TM Sim heads.
I have a huge cross section of hitters that also hit the shaft/head combinations when testing.

To a man people who have never heard of or previously hit Maltbys leave very impressed. That often leads to a full set of clubs to be built. Whether they are back ups or Gamer sets.
In my eyes a player needs to see head to head comparisons in order to make fair judgements. This is an easy way to do this.
If it turns into a pissing match then I'll be disappointed.

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Screenshot_20201227-131623.jpeg

Nah this is in good spirit... I am an okay golfer and I swing decent so it will be a solid test...

6 hours ago, Sparky14 said:

I have both Maltby and PXG in my bag. I got haters on both sides. And I'm not even going to mention how much I love my Tommy Armour Atomic 3w. OK, maybe I will.

The fact is, it doesn’t matter what people think. 

Play what works best for you; the mission of this site in its simplest form. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I have built and hit various Maltby and GolfSmith clubs over the last few decades and played them to a 1 or 2 handicap at my best.  I played the Tour Cavity Forged irons for over 25 years putting a few shafts in them over that time.  Tried out quite a few different drivers from them...remember the TitanHawk?  I hit that really well for about 5 years before moving on to the next generation.  Most of the guys I run into that game either of these clubs like to tinker & build their own stuff.

Didn't Bruce Lietzke & Scott Verplank play Golfsmith irons?   

I have been eying the Maltby wedges lately but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I like to grind some relief on mine and would feel real bad doing that to a $$$ set of vokey's!!  😄

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 3:34 PM, Manimal26 said:

Nah this is in good spirit... I am an okay golfer and I swing decent so it will be a solid test...

So is this happening? 

Just curious @Manimal26what are you expecting to see when you get the clubs @Popeye64is sending you? You seem to have formulated a pretty bulletproof impression and claims of Maltby gear AND the people who play it. My guess is you're 110% convinced that you'll get some cheap junk looking "Warrior Golf" or gimmicky Bombtech lookalikes with massive offset, cast rock hard, super chunky, super thick topline, super thick sole, outdated looks and tech, made for first-time golfers who are too dumb to know the difference -  kind of irons? (Referencing your "IKEA" and other comments). 

Before you get into your review process, can you tell us how much you know about the history of Ralph Maltby.. OR even Tom Wishon? (I only mention Tom because he was an apprentice of Ralph's years ago). If you have any detailed knowledge of where they come from, their history in the game, and their position in influencing the industry, I'll gladly eat some of my words. But I really think it's important to know that these aren't just designed by some no-name hack with money to burn who happens to have golf as a hobby.. OR purchased expired forge dies from China. 

I know you probably won't believe anything that I have to say, but last night I took my 56* TSW wedge to test against some classic names. Vokey SM7 and Cleveland ZipCore to be exact. The spin #'s, control, feel and just overall playability of the TSW's actually came out on top. These things don't just happen on accident. Just sayin.. maybe there's a little more depth to the Maltby culture than you've come to believe. 

I'm looking forward to your feedback. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

So is this happening? 
Just curious [mention=91337]Manimal26[/mention]what are you expecting to see when you get the clubs [mention=75887]Popeye64[/mention]is sending you? You seem to have formulated a pretty bulletproof impression and claims of Maltby gear AND the people who play it. My guess is you're 110% convinced that you'll get some cheap junk looking "Warrior Golf" or gimmicky Bombtech lookalikes with massive offset, cast rock hard, super chunky, super thick topline, super thick sole, outdated looks and tech, made for first-time golfers who are too dumb to know the difference -  kind of irons? (Referencing your "IKEA" and other comments). 
Before you get into your review process, can you tell us how much you know about the history of Ralph Maltby.. OR even Tom Wishon? (I only mention Tom because he was an apprentice of Ralph's years ago). If you have any detailed knowledge of where they come from, their history in the game, and their position in influencing the industry, I'll gladly eat some of my words. But I really think it's important to know that these aren't just designed by some no-name hack with money to burn who happens to have golf as a hobby.. OR purchased expired forge dies from China. 

I know you probably won't believe anything that I have to say, but last night I took my 56* TSW wedge to test against some classic names. Vokey SM7 and Cleveland ZipCore to be exact. The spin #'s, control, feel and just overall playability of the TSW's actually came out on top. These things don't just happen on accident. Just sayin.. maybe there's a little more depth to the Maltby culture than you've come to believe. 
I'm looking forward to your feedback. 

He has possession of a TS-1 7I and a TSW 56°.
They were just heads so he can build them as he wishes.
It shouldn't be too long before he starts a thread. Let's try to keep it un-confrontational.

Just got my new to me sticks. Wish it wasn't 25 degrees with 5 inches of snow on the ground...IMG_20210108_235600479.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Tour Edge C722 Driver
  • Adams Redline Titanium 5w
  • Tour Edge C721 irons 4 - PW
  • Cleveland CBX2 48 degree wedge
  • Maltby M-Series 52 & 56 wedges
  • Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11s putter

Just got my new to me sticks. Wish it wasn't 25 degrees with 5 inches of snow on the ground...IMG_20210108_235600479.jpg.69aa5bf9d7361d0ad9b5a4796a6cfc53.jpg

You get a chance to take some swipes with these yet?

MAXFLI  Tour CG

No I have not. Can't even get time in a simulator right now.....

• Tour Edge C722 Driver

I bit the bullet after playing some forged blades and a full set that I sourced for a company a while back. We were thinking about starting a line of clubs. They were pretty garbage. That said, I used to be a 2HDCP, and just got back into the game after 14 years away. I started with a demo 7-iron and I loved it. Super speedy, but not overtly so. Still had a bit of the forged feedback that I've always appreciated.

I have to say, I really like the TS1s however, getting used to the larger profile is taking a bit of time. I'm just not hitting my irons as well as I'm used to. I'm not sure if it's the thicker sole, or what. I will say, mishits off the toe are EXTREMELY forgiving, however that's not my normal miss with the irons.

The driver is fitted with an Aldila NV shaft, I loved it on my old Nike driver (the pro I used to loop for was a Nike guy so I always had Nike clubs around). Crazy thing is, I can't hit it right, which is my normal lazy miss with the big stick.

I also picked up the 4-wood and 3-hybrid...they are easily the best fairways/hybrids I've ever played. 100%. They just get up, and go, and they are really hard to not hit dead straight however they can be worked if you find yourself trying to bend it.

The TSW wedges...man. I have used Vokeys and Cleveland wedges and I consider myself a solid wedge player. These rival anything they've produced.

I'm only two months back to the game so I'm sure I'll come back around to the iron play. I'm playing in Southeaster Louisiana and it's a bit damp an the turf is thick. Not at all like where I grew up playing so it may just be an adjustment thing.

I bit the bullet after playing some forged blades and a full set that I sourced for a company a while back. We were thinking about starting a line of clubs. They were pretty garbage. That said, I used to be a 2HDCP, and just got back into the game after 14 years away. I started with a demo 7-iron and I loved it. Super speedy, but not overtly so. Still had a bit of the forged feedback that I've always appreciated.
I have to say, I really like the TS1s however, getting used to the larger profile is taking a bit of time. I'm just not hitting my irons as well as I'm used to. I'm not sure if it's the thicker sole, or what. I will say, mishits off the toe are EXTREMELY forgiving, however that's not my normal miss with the irons.
The driver is fitted with an Aldila NV shaft, I loved it on my old Nike driver (the pro I used to loop for was a Nike guy so I always had Nike clubs around). Crazy thing is, I can't hit it right, which is my normal lazy miss with the big stick.
I also picked up the 4-wood and 3-hybrid...they are easily the best fairways/hybrids I've ever played. 100%. They just get up, and go, and they are really hard to not hit dead straight however they can be worked if you find yourself trying to bend it.
The TSW wedges...man. I have used Vokeys and Cleveland wedges and I consider myself a solid wedge player. These rival anything they've produced.
I'm only two months back to the game so I'm sure I'll come back around to the iron play. I'm playing in Southeaster Louisiana and it's a bit damp an the turf is thick. Not at all like where I grew up playing so it may just be an adjustment thing.
The Maltby gear has certainly proven itself as being not only quality gear.. but it will stand up to any comparison.
Hopefully@Manimal26 will eventually post up about the Maltby heads he received.

I agree @Popeye64. I'm not going to pretend that I'm the most tech savvy golfer today, but I do have a fairly discerning eye and feel for such things as a product developer. I would put their products up there in terms of performance and quality with TM, Callaway, Cobra, etc.

I just need to spend more time with the TS1s and my swing. When I make a good move at the ball, they are fantastic.

It may also be the shafts. I opted for the Score LT based on Kris' recommendation. I'm worried that I should have stuck with my trusted DGs.

I agree [mention=75887]Popeye64[/mention]. I'm not going to pretend that I'm the most tech savvy golfer today, but I do have a fairly discerning eye and feel for such things as a product developer. I would put their products up there in terms of performance and quality with TM, Callaway, Cobra, etc.
I just need to spend more time with the TS1s and my swing. When I make a good move at the ball, they are fantastic.
It may also be the shafts. I opted for the Score LT based on Kris' recommendation. I'm worried that I should have stuck with my trusted DGs.
Although I've heard good things about the Score shafts, I had my TS-1's built with the DG S300 105's and wouldn't do anything differently. Absolutely love the performance paired with the heads. Had to go 105 due to multiple nagging shoulder injuries from being an idiot in my previous life but they play every bit as good as the regular DGs IMO.

One thing to note about Maltby's design logic is that the heads are going to be a fraction longer from heel to toe and the hosel is noticeably shorter than most OEMs. This allows to reposition mass more where it counts and why those toe shots are so forgiving.

I did a comparison with the TM P770 earlier this year and the heel to toe length is nearly identical. But the top line and sole were slimmer on the TS-1 so it definitely fits right in with the class of clubs it's set out to compete against.

As for the TSW's, you are spot on. Yeah they don't offer the ridiculous amount of grind and bounce options.. but what they do offer is 100% suitable for 90% of players. My 56° is surgical when I'm dialed in and my 50° is a perfect Gap option. The great thing is that as long as they keep these in production, you can afford to spoil yourself with new wedges every year.

Keep us all posted on what you decide on.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 1/23/2021 at 2:34 PM, azstu324 said:

Although I've heard good things about the Score shafts, I had my TS-1's built with the DG S300 105's and wouldn't do anything differently. Absolutely love the performance paired with the heads. Had to go 105 due to multiple nagging shoulder injuries from being an idiot in my previous life but they play every bit as good as the regular DGs IMO.

One thing to note about Maltby's design logic is that the heads are going to be a fraction longer from heel to toe and the hosel is noticeably shorter than most OEMs. This allows to reposition mass more where it counts and why those toe shots are so forgiving.

I did a comparison with the TM P770 earlier this year and the heel to toe length is nearly identical. But the top line and sole were slimmer on the TS-1 so it definitely fits right in with the class of clubs it's set out to compete against.

As for the TSW's, you are spot on. Yeah they don't offer the ridiculous amount of grind and bounce options.. but what they do offer is 100% suitable for 90% of players. My 56° is surgical when I'm dialed in and my 50° is a perfect Gap option. The great thing is that as long as they keep these in production, you can afford to spoil yourself with new wedges every year.

Keep us all posted on what you decide on.

I purchased a few Score LT shafts on sale a couple months ago and stuck them in some 7 irons including a Maltby MMB 17. I found they are very high launching with lower COG clubs like most Maltby offerings. I did like the feel of the shaft and all three weighed within half a gram of each and spec. The shaft would be good for many golfers but they are a shaft you should try before committing to as they could have a tendency to launch too high depending on the club head. 

On 1/22/2021 at 1:45 PM, Popeye64 said:

The Maltby gear has certainly proven itself as being not only quality gear.. but it will stand up to any comparison.
Hopefully@Manimal26 will eventually post up about the Maltby heads he received.

Things are coming along will open a thread in the next few days

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/43010-the-maltby-challenge-unofficial-review/&share_tid=43010&share_fid=1398933&share_type=t&link_source=app

This is the shoot out thread manimal has created. Subscribe and follow along. He has some serious testing and evaluations planned. Definitely will be fun. And please no pissing contests. Accept his opinions no matter what.

42 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/43010-the-maltby-challenge-unofficial-review/&share_tid=43010&share_fid=1398933&share_type=t&link_source=app

This is the shoot out thread manimal has created. Subscribe and follow along. He has some serious testing and evaluations planned. Definitely will be fun. And please no pissing contests. Accept his opinions no matter what.

You had me until "accept his opinions no matter what."  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Maybe to elaborate on @Popeye64's request (or maybe I'm assuming too much 😛 ), being that all clubs are, or at least should be very personalized for every person swinging them, it wouldn't be fair to say that @Manimal26 needs to love Maltby clubs because that would just validate the point that he's been trying to make all along.

That said, I think we all agree that with golf clubs in general there is a broad acceptance level for a lot of equipment. I've hit a lot of clubs in production and often times find myself saying "this is a nice club but definitely not for me. It will be a great club for the guy that it's made for and it has my respect". There are times when I've hit a club and just thought "man this thing's just junk and shouldn't even be in production". 

I think it would only be fair to say that we're just expecting to see these be acknowledged as formidable clubs that are made well, perform well, have a nice general appeal, and don't deserve the discredit that they've received. 

Hopefully we can all find our common ground on that. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Heading to an XGolf sim Sunday morning for two hours with my brother. He games Tour Edge Exotics. I'll be interested what his thoughts are about the TS1's.

• Tour Edge C722 Driver

I picked up a TS-1 7 iron from GW after reading about this head and played several rounds with it and then finished the set after really liking the club. My previous set was Apex 19 and before that other players distance irons. My interest in trying something new was I noticed how the past several years that while my irons were going further, I didn't feel like I had the type of control and accuracy I used to have. 

After playing with the full set now for a few rounds, for me, these are really quality heads. They feel really soft and quiet on a reasonable strike. I'm playing in cooler weather so I can't tell for sure, but they feel half club shorter than a typical players distance club, which I'm okay with. They took a few rounds to break in the shaft (I have a theory that all new shafts require a few rounds to loosen up a bit - have seen this in new iron and woods shafts, but not in used shafts I've bought), these things feel really good. They launch a bit higher than I thought and are reasonably forgiving. I'm about a 7 and my iron play used to be the best part of my game, and hoping something that asks a bit more of each strike results in more consistent and accurate iron shots. I think I'll always keep these no matter what I might else buy and subsequently sell. I still can't get over how little these cost in relation to the quality.

Also, I'm never offended by what anyone says about what I like or what I play. For the past 3 years I've been trying to get rid of a Snake Eyes 58 degree and I've tried so many alternatives and have played Vokey, Cleveland and recently Callaways, and I can't find anything that works better for me than that Snake eye. It's the best club I've ever used in not trying to get it to go far, but getting it to go shorter distances. So those 30, 40, 50 yard feel shots are why that thing has not been able to leave my bag, as much as I try to move on from it.