TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Precision Pro NX7

hckymeyer

I've used the NX7 Pro for almost a month - perhaps 20 rounds. I've had about three occasions (holes) where I could not get any information (just dotted lines). There were no obstructions such as the plastic windshield in front of it. I waited for it to turn off and then turning it back on I was able to acquire the pin. Anyone else have this happen/ I will reach out to their CS but thought I'd ask the question here first.

I've had this happen a couple of times myself. I hit the mode button then reshot it, it's worked every time after I've done that. It is aggravating when standing on a par 3 and everyone is looking to you for the yardage and you have to shoot it multiple times just to get a reading. But this has only happened 2-3 times so no reason (for me) to contact PP about it, yet.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

I've had this happen a couple of times myself. I hit the mode button then reshot it, it's worked every time after I've done that. It is aggravating when standing on a par 3 and everyone is looking to you for the yardage and you have to shoot it multiple times just to get a reading. But this has only happened 2-3 times so no reason (for me) to contact PP about it, yet.

Blake

This was happening when I first started using it and I couldn't figure it out so I contacted customer service (they responded quickly so don't be afraid to reach out to them!)

I was covering the laser on the bottom.... just make sure that when you hold it you don't have anything close to the bottom laser section.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

This was happening when I first started using it and I couldn't figure it out so I contacted customer service (they responded quickly so don't be afraid to reach out to them!)

I was covering the laser on the bottom.... just make sure that when you hold it you don't have anything close to the bottom laser section.

Thanks - I thought it was being held from the bottom and not covering the laser - but next time it happens I'll make a note of it.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'd almost forgotten to post....

I purchased on Friday the PP NX7 Pro. Mostly based on the reviews. I have expectations this will be a good one and last for quite a while. I should receive it sometime this next week. I purchased mine through Amazon and paid $188.00. It was listed at $248 but I signed up for a Amazon Store Card and got $60 off. Kind of a no brainer I thought.

Hopefully I'll put the PP in play next weekend.

I've used the NX7 Pro for almost a month - perhaps 20 rounds. I've had about three occasions (holes) where I could not get any information (just dotted lines). There were no obstructions such as the plastic windshield in front of it. I waited for it to turn off and then turning it back on I was able to acquire the pin. Anyone else have this happen/ I will reach out to their CS but thought I'd ask the question here first.

Hmmmm?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Great reviews guys. I bought the NX7 pro as a birthday gift to myself this April based on the previous MGS reviews that were done, and I have enjoyed it as much as you guys appear to. Question for you guys though - I have had a couple times where the battery has gotten loose or something, so the power goes out. I have to open the battery area and just reput it in and I am back in business, but freaked me out the first time since I only had the unit for a couple days and suddenly it wasn't working. Maybe I need to be less Indy car driver, more overly cautious grandma when I am driving my cart, but have any of you guys experienced anything like this?

i had the battery port, the one with the chrome ring that I liked so much, come unscrewed once. I didn't mention it because of the estimated 400 holes I have played with this it happened once. I could not say that I had not opened it as part of the review I was writing at the time and failed to tighten it properly. I have checked it several times since, and it has never even been loose.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I should have included an update in the earlier post. I am still loving this product.

I played in my club championship last week and was playing great. My distance control was spot on and getting accurate info was the key. Well, part of the key, making good swings was a part of it. However, I reinjured my elbow with a 6 hole lead and barely held on to win the match by 2. But, couldn't recover enough and didn't win the next round and failed to advance.

Yesterday, I was playing a skins game with 11 other guys, unable to make a regular swing with the elbow problem, and hadn't even made a par when I got to the 16th. I saw that it was a sucker pin placement with water on 2 sides within 15'. Since I had nothing to lose, and had the exact distance and had the perfect club for that distance. I decided to take dead aim and swing no matter what. I stuck it to 8' and made a birdie. There were many birdies with a group that large but there were only 3 made on holes that were not covered by someone else. I won $73 by trusting this LRF. Yeah, I made the swing and the putt, but the NX7 gave me the accurate distance to know what to do. Without it, I would have had to guess and would have played to 145 yards, but with it I saw I was 136.8.

Last week I posted that I'd purchased the PP NX7 model. I haven't gotten to use it yet as I was out of town last weekend. However, I did attach - or tried to attach my existing magnetic Velcro holder to it. The problem is the band I have covers the buttons on the top of the NX7. Both of them! I could live with the Mode button being covered but not the laser button.

Question - can any of you guy recommend a magnetic Velcro band for the NX7 Pro?

EDIT: Wow... I just called Precision Pro to ask them and the guy I spoke with had absolutely no idea. No clue. At first I wondered if he even knew what I was asking. Man... you'd think they would have had an answer for this wouldn't you? I'm left with the impression they'd never even thought of this. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Last week I posted that I'd purchased the PP NX7 model. I haven't gotten to use it yet as I was out of town last weekend. However, I did attach - or tried to attach my existing magnetic Velcro holder to it. The problem is the band I have covers the buttons on the top of the NX7. Both of them! I could live with the Mode button being covered but not the laser button.

Question - can any of you guy recommend a magnetic Velcro band for the NX7 Pro?

EDIT: Wow... I just called Precision Pro to ask them and the guy I spoke with had absolutely no idea. No clue. At first I wondered if he even knew what I was asking. Man... you'd think they would have had an answer for this wouldn't you? I'm left with the impression they'd never even thought of this. 

Does the velco actually keep you from pushing the button, or simply cover it up? I have seen some others that have a cover on it and you simply push the button under the velco. My button is easy enough to push so that I can up the cover from a different LRF on it and while it covers the button, it still works fine.

2 month review time. My regular groups I play with don't even bother taking their LRF out of the bag. This thing is so easy to use it's ridiculous. Battery life seems to be holding up better than expected, still has full battery according to the indicator. Nothing else to add since my stage 2. I'll try to get one more update in before the weather changes here in the Bluegrass.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda admit I am late to this party. But I see everyone is pretty much satisfied with this unit. I will say if it is half as good as their original one that I tested for MGS then it is one jam up unit. Mine is still kicking and holding it's own against higher priced units

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've now used my unit two times and so far it seems to be very good. My existing magnetic holder (velcro strap) doesn't fit this unit like my last LRF as the 'shoot" button is covered. However, I can still press it through the strap and it works ok. I'll keep searching for a better design that exposes the button as I think it would work better/easier. I might consider taking the strap over to my workbench and punching a hole through the strap and see how that works. 

I'm still a little surprised that Precision Pro doesn't offer a strap made for their device. 

I noticed today that my battery is now down to 3/4 strength. Of course Precision Pro has a free battery replacement program I will take advantage of, but I have played over 700 holes of golf with this unit since I got it. That's pretty good life IMHO.

Another update. I played Saturday fairly early in the morning, there was a big fog that delayed our tee time. When it was clear enough to see 300yds we teed off. There was still a very very fine fog, just a little hazy. It took 3-4 holes for the air to completely clear up, in that very fine fog it would not pick up the flag. Have played in moderate rain with no problems, but fog, no good.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I noticed today that my battery is now down to 3/4 strength. Of course Precision Pro has a free battery replacement program I will take advantage of, but I have played over 700 holes of golf with this unit since I got it. That's pretty good life IMHO.

700!!??

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

40 minutes ago, robertson153 said:

Another update. I played Saturday fairly early in the morning, there was a big fog that delayed our tee time. When it was clear enough to see 300yds we teed off. There was still a very very fine fog, just a little hazy. It took 3-4 holes for the air to completely clear up, in that very fine fog it would not pick up the flag. Have played in moderate rain with no problems, but fog, no good.

Have you had a previous range finder that can cut through fog? Or is it a problem with all rangefinder?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Have you had a previous range finder that can cut through fog? Or is it a problem with all rangefinder?

Not sure if any LRF can shoot through fog or not. I just felt this should be added to my review. Anytime I find something good or bad with this unit, I’ll post it. You have to understand this was very minimal fog, no problem seeing 500yds with the naked eye.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

I'm not surprised that it can't shoot through heavy fog as it would distort the laser. Same issue when I'm in the cart and shooting through the windscreen.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

10 hours ago, robertson153 said:

Not sure if any LRF can shoot through fog or not. I just felt this should be added to my review. Anytime I find something good or bad with this unit, I’ll post it. You have to understand this was very minimal fog, no problem seeing 500yds with the naked eye.

Blake

It would be interesting to do a test on this for different range finders.
What you have to bear in mind is that the human eye and brain are wonderful at constructing an image out of relatively little information, we interpret what we are seeing a lot of the time so even though you can see 500 yards, for there to be fog beyond that then there is still a fair density of water molecules in the air. What volume of fog is sufficient to disperse too much of the laser for it to be able to read accurately would be an interesting test.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

14 hours ago, GB13 said:

I have never seen a rangefinder that could shoot through fog. I remember last fall we were playing down at Founders Club in Pawleys Island. There were 5 groups of us. We were in the 4th group. Fog rolled in on 18 for us on our approach shots rather quickly. we could not see the pin much less attempt to shoot it. We rode up towards the green to see the position. I know the course pretty darn well as the former GM (one of my partners) did. We basically went off blind yardage and did ok. The group behind us never finished. I have tried both of mine in early morning fog on the range and neither one of them worked. We get some nasty fog off the ocean here

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

unless the flags have a light that they emit outwards (not a reflector) than I think this is impossible - from a design/physics standpoint.

If you think about how a LRF works then you might get lucky but with heavy fog you need to use a watch or app...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

• 1 month later...

After 4 months of golf, around 70 rounds, my battery had dropped to 1/3. Got on PP website and ordered my FREE battery. Came in 4 days. Super easy, name, address, and model you have. I’ll never own anything but a PP from now on. IMG_1113.JPGIMG_1114.JPG

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

unless the flags have a light that they emit outwards (not a reflector) than I think this is impossible - from a design/physics standpoint.
If you think about how a LRF works then you might get lucky but with heavy fog you need to use a watch or app...

That happened to me this past week. We had a light drizzle and light fog. I could see the Pin from about 160 yds but it was tough to see. I tried using the NX7 Pro, but it didn't work. I don't think any LRF would have worked in those conditions. Another reason why I use it in tandem with my phone app.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

thoroughly enjoying the PP NX7... continues to perform superbly.

that being said there is a frustration - blind shots....when all that you can see is the crest of the hill and you know that the fw continues down the hill but you're not sure how far it is to the hazard and if you should lay up short or carry....  nothing to be done about it and is an issue with all LRF and not just the NX7 but it can be frustrating; certainly worth running an app alongside as @tony@CIC suggests.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Update on the NX7 PRO. It has been almost flawlessly since I have had it. The only issue was one time it would not pickup the flag on one hole, never happened before or since. I gave up but it performed flawlessly again on the next hole. No idea what the issue was.

Then yesterday I noticed the battery was down to 1/4. Today I went on and filled out the form for the free battery replacement. 3 hours later, I received an email saying that a new battery had shipped.

Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Update on the NX7 PRO. It has been almost flawlessly since I have had it. The only issue was one time it would not pickup the flag on one hole, never happened before or since. I gave up but it performed flawlessly again on the next hole. No idea what the issue was.

Then yesterday I noticed the battery was down to 1/4. Today I went on and filled out the form for the free battery replacement. 3 hours later, I received an email saying that a new battery had shipped.

Glad it's working well for you. I did have an issue with my Pro version but they responded quickly and resolved the problem. I did notice that it uses a bit more battery compared to my cheapo unit. That could be due to the pulse technology but not a concern since I can get free batteries.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I ordered my battery last week and received it a few days later. for PP

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

And the new battery was delivered by the weekend.

My old Bushnell died recently....gonna have to replace it with one of these

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

8 hours ago, TBT said:

My old Bushnell died recently....gonna have to replace it with one of these

They're Pro version is on sale for $199. For that price how can you go wrong?. FYI disclaimer: I've owned the pro version for several months and love it. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart